• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunk#7

STRANGE REQUEST:

Can somebody (most likely a Hunter) solo through the Abyss HM for me? I have every drop for every character except for gloves for my Titan.

Already did the NM run so the HM abyss is my last hope for gloves. I would solo it if I were on my hunter.

I don't care about the other parts of the raid so we can stop after the Abyss

LTWood12

STRANGE REQUEST:

Can somebody (most likely a Hunter) solo through the Abyss HM for me? I have every drop for every character except for gloves for my Titan.

Already did the NM run so the HM abyss is my last hope for gloves. I would solo it if I were on my hunter.

Sure thing. I'll shoot you an invite in a few minutes. I won't be using a mic.

So, I had 3 friends online playing destiny tonight, which is a new low, one was a good friend and clan mate who wanted to raid, so did I.

I said "people solo NM Crota, lets 2 man it", so we did, 3x, me on the sword him on DPS duty.

I'm well versed in Hunter blink strike sword takedowns but never with a Titan or Warlock.
We did it though, felt tense hit and running after every sword attack.

Doing this is only going to improve my sword abilities.

He got 4th Horseman (1 of the 2 exotics i'm missing) and no land beyond (lol), I got shards.

FyreWulff

I might be wrong, but I believe this one is a part of some geometry trickery that Bungie likes to use. I think this is the bridge you see in the distance when you're heading down inside the Hellmouth through Temple of Crota.

I think what Bungie did is they modeled out the world and then auto-generated imposter versions of geometry for the rest of the world in relation to the current loaded instance. It appears that they don't have a hard check for visibility, so what you see is where levels and locations are in relation to each other in a 'master' file they must use somewhere.

This is probably to make it easier to keep things sane for the tech that lets them show your fireteam's waypoint location on Patrols and have it 'make sense' no matter where they are. For instance if you glitch jump your way up into the Terminus on Venus, anyone on your fire team that's on the starting beach area will actually see your waypoint up in the Terminus structure.

We also did some tests and it was possible to view Rockets fired from the beach (at least their smoke trail) towards the Terminus, so it appears the game still either considers you all in the same 'level' just with certain parts of the geometry loaded or it's just a network 'cheat' where they make the server create weapon projectiles at the correct position on your network instance when a fireteam member fires a gun in another area.

We know they have the imposter system from Reach still since they mentioned in a presentation that it was one of the tech items brought over for their Destiny pipeline (afiak, Imposters are actually all generated offline, and then loaded into the game assets)

Crota's End is weird in that it seems they "cheated" the raid geometry, relative to the rest of Destiny. AFIAK nobody will ever show up around the Hellmouth before you jump in, and the lantern and crota castle areas have no real relation to each other and are glued together with the loading light door (like when you use portals on Mars). Meanwhile in the Vault of Glass someone can theoretically stay up in the Patrol area up until you fight Atheon as far as I know (because at that point, they'll likely get teleported into the past or future). I wonder if House of Wolves will continue this hard split from the rest of the Destiny instance-world or if it'll be like the Vault of Glass where part of it is out in Patrol.

tangent edit postscript:

Historically, Bungie has always said they model geometry first and then set up the encounters afterwards, so this is probably why unused/future areas can be accessed in Destiny; it keeps things sane for later due to the interconnected planet world thing, and they have zero reason to clean out unused geometry since they always do geometry first and encounters later. They had to before so people wouldn't see unfinished levels in Halo games, but with Destiny there's no reason to hide those anymore. And you can definitely tell the unused areas are not finished (don't have proper killzones, broken lifts, etc)

MickeyPhree

Thanks hawkian and everyone else for sword school tonight. Very informative and just a great job overall showing us virgins how to take crota down.

Ganhyun

I should know better by now to not play Crucible on the 360 after 9 eastern. Thats when all the West Coast people get on and suddenly "nearly every" game is full of lag, glitchers, show across the map through 3 wall deaths, and worse.

STRANGE REQUEST:

Hard doesn't drop armor. You'll get shard/energies or the pulse rifle.

Also, hard Abyss is easily solo-able with a titan.

border

I have the CP for the bridge. I'd like to run from DS to Crota multiple times, though.
anyone interested?

PSN rasengan1337

Normal mode?

If so, I will go if we can get a group together in the next couple hours. Though it's tough finding people to run normal this late in the week.

Normal mode?

If so, I will go if we can get a group together in the next couple hours. Though it's tough finding people to run normal this late in the week.

yeah, i hear ya... i've been out of town, so haven't been able to complete the routine
in my never-ending quest to attain my membership to the g'horn club

edit:
1. rasengan1337
2. border
3. TQ-XL18Z
4. rasengan1337's friend (ducky)
5. devil_demo (rasengan's friend)

Dunk#7

That's what LTWood12 said. I did only get energy, and ended up soloing it. Had just never tried the jump. Used to doing the Hunter invisibility method and not firing a single shot

So that means Hard Mode pulls from two seperate loot tables when running HM first? I was assuming HM just added the primary weapons into the loot tables.

So there is no reason to run NM except for the secondary and heavy weapons? If HM is going to do a pull from the normal mode loot table you should have the same odds.

A_Gorilla

Banned

I thought hard was the only place where the helmet dropped? I have never seen someone get it on normal.

And I've gotten both chest and boots on hard before...

Deku Tree

I thought hard was the only place where the helmet dropped? I have never seen someone get it on normal.

That was true for the VoG raid. The CE raid has chance of the helmet dropping on normal. I got all my first helmets that way even before CE hard raid was available. There is a higher change for the helmet to drop on CE hard.

I kinda wanna level my Hunter without doing missions(Since the exp they give scale up with your level, therefore it makes gear levelling easier since hard missions give 7500 exp the first time), but it's haaaard dammit.

It sucks that doing missions more than once won't give you exp for finishing(Unless it's a daily)

so amazing. jump in as my friend is doing the nightfall, i barely do anything, get my 4th gjallarhorn. He still doesn't have one and starts raging.

Really is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure last week is when i received my 3rd one on a nightfall.

Took me forever to get one and now in the past 2 months i've received 3... makes sense

GhaleonEB

With my Hunter and Warlock both at 32, I'm downstepping my playtime a bit. This week I did quite a few Nightfalls,weekly heroic strikes and a couple raids, and just now positively manhandled a few ROC strikes and story missions. (Taking out the Gatelord using nothing but a shotgun on the level 30 mission, hit and run style with my Hunter, was quite fun. Mida + invisibility = awesome.)

But at this point, I'll be setting it aside until the resets, for the NF and heroic weekies, until HoW hints. Definitely ready for new content.

Almost as a parting gift of sorts, I had an engram decrypt into a legendary item, and then for gaining a Cryptarch rank, a legendary engram. The former was armor, and the latter turned to ascendant energy. Shards and energy. The story of my Destiny endgame. Fucking Rahool.

I'm pretty surprised at how steep the drop-off is in player skill down from 32.

I've been leveling another character out of boredom, and I'm kinda shocked at the difference b/w players at level 29/30/31 and 32. And it's not gear/power that's surprising to me, it's player actions/gameplay choices.

I was certain at some point I would run into decent players out in the world who were also working on an alternate, but I swear some of the people out there, it's like they're playing a strike for the very first time, which is shocking to me for someone at that high of a level.

Not all players at 29/30/31 can be that bad at the game...it's not possible...it just isn't.

I'm certainly not an amazing player myself, but I'm also not running into the middle of every encounter and killing myself every chance I get. Or running up to the tank on the mars strike to melee it. Or shooting Phogoth first chance without clearing enemies, and then sitting in the back room to spawn more enemies, while occasionally popping out to hit him with a few pulse rifle bursts...

It's not a big deal, people can do whatever, frustrating teammates is more of a pvp thing anyway. It's just very surprising to me how large that drop is below 32.

With my Hunter and Warlock both at 32, I'm downstepping my playtime a bit. This week I did quite a few Nightfalls,weekly heroic strikes and a couple raids, and just now positively manhandled a few ROC strikes and story missions. (Taking out the Gatelord using nothing but a shotgun on the level 30 mission, hit and run style with my Hunter, was quite fun. Mida + invisibility = awesome.)

But at this point, I'll be setting it aside until the resets, for the NF and heroic weekies, until HoW hints. Definitely ready for new content.

Almost as a parting gift of sorts, I had an engram decrypt into a legendary item, and then for gaining a Cryptarch rank, a legendary engram. The former was armor, and the latter turned to ascendant energy. Shards and energy. The story of my Destiny endgame. Fucking Rahool.

O; We'll have to do nightfall, you and I. I was planning on maxing out my hunter by tomorrow and asking for help doing the nightfall before the reset >_>; I still need the ballerhorn.

coy

I'm pretty surprised at how steep the drop-off is in player skill down from 32.

I've been leveling another character out of boredom, and I'm kinda shocked at the difference b/w players at level 29/30/31 and 32. And it's not gear/power that's surprising to me, it's player actions/gameplay choices.

I was certain at some point I would run into decent players out in the world who were also working on an alternate, but I swear some of the people out there, it's like they're playing a strike for the very first time, which is shocking to me for someone at that high of a level.

Not all players at 29/30/31 can be that bad at the game...it's not possible...it just isn't.

I'm certainly not an amazing player myself, but I'm also not running into the middle of every encounter and killing myself every chance I get. Or running up to the tank on the mars strike to melee it. Or shooting Phogoth first chance without clearing enemies, and then sitting in the back room to spawn more enemies, while occasionally popping out to hit him with a few pulse rifle bursts...

It's not a big deal, people can do whatever, frustrating teammates is more of a pvp thing anyway. It's just very surprising to me how large that drop is below 32.
I've been with random 32s that are the same. Doing weekly heroics with randoms exposed me to some strange gameplay decisions.

CLBridges

Don't know if this was brought up before and answered. But, anybody noticed that although the Necrochasm upgrades fully when obtained, it doesn't have the yellow border around it? Wonder if there's going to be another stage for it or maybe it was just an oversight by Bungie.

Can't sleep, so I guess I'll watch Netflix and run Roc strikes...maybe Thunderlord will drop.

Gordon

So... squeee?

Got a purple primary engram lost in the mail. Figured it was just going to be another piece of trash. Didn't even consider the potential for it to roll one of the two non-raid exotics I still needed. Bam - mawfawkin Suros! feelsgoodbro
would have been cool to try it out before Bungie nerfed it into semi-obscurity, but whatev

T-0800

so amazing. jump in as my friend is doing the nightfall, i barely do anything, get my 4th gjallarhorn. He still doesn't have one and starts raging.

Why is the game setup to give out random rewards? Surely the people who do the most should have a higher chance to get good rewards.

I think megamanexe predicted a No Burn Valus Ta'aurc with Angry, Juggler and Lightswitch, yay...

That's actually one of my favourite strikes, doesn't take too long, only 2 darkness zones the 3 guards/tank and Ta'aurc himself, easy to solo and with no burn choice of sniper is easy, Icebreaker.

That's what LTWood12 said. I did only get energy, and ended up soloing it. Had just never tried the jump. Used to doing the Hunter invisibility method and not firing a single shot

So that means Hard Mode pulls from two seperate loot tables when running HM first? I was assuming HM just added the primary weapons into the loot tables.

So there is no reason to run NM except for the secondary and heavy weapons? If HM is going to do a pull from the normal mode loot table you should have the same odds.

Hard certainly does drop armor. I've gotten armor on normal and then hard too.

Hard AFTER doing normal does NOT drop armor. Only Crota on both normal and hard can drop helmet.

You can't get gloves, boots or chest on hard if you have already done normal that week.

If you play on hard without doing normal first, then you can get armor since both loot tables have a chance of dropping gear.

Dunk wanted to get armor from hard Abyss after doing normal Abyss, that doesn't work.

Awww lame I got an exotic choice bounty, all of the bounties were weapons I had :(

I have all Exotic bounty weapons and managed to receive three bounties again this week. Currently have new bounties open for Thorne, Bad Juju and Invective. I'll probably wait until after HoW to finish them, in case the upgrade process is bullshit again.

another round of sword school graduates!

Poker and I did sword school this week. I managed to get the hang of the right trigger-method, I just never got around to actually killing Crota because he was glitching out so much.

Graduation pending.

Stubo

i-rFfNxr5-1050x10000.jpg

Apologies if already posted, just had to share with you guys.

Gordon

I have all Exotic bounty weapons and managed to receive three bounties again this week. Currently have new bounties open for Thorne, Bad Juju and Invective. I'll probably wait until after HoW to finish them, in case the upgrade process is bullshit again.
Y'know what would be nice? If discarding mentor missives/exotic bounties just gave you an exotic shard. I discard one or two a week. It's painful, but I don't have the patience or the time to sit and jump through all those hoops just to shard a duplicate gun. I mean I get the "do the work to get the reward" sentiment, but there are only five missives, so it doesn't take long before they're just an annoyance. Making it a random shard drop as a reward for doing bounties, with the option of doubling down for an exotic weapon if you want, would be a lot more worthy of the yellow colour imo. As it stands now it feels more like the bounties should start white and work their way up through green, blue, and purple before yellow. Because it definitely feels like getting spammed with Husk of the Pit, especially when you have 3 bounties, it rolls the same 3, so you just lose a bounty slot and have a waypoint over Xander until you complete one, and then you get to immediately do it again.
(or you ditch it, presumably in the same space junk-heap you've been dumping your expensive-but-unwanted ships in for some reason)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom