• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku Tree

there have been questions as to whether wearing MotTM may lead to Crota "seeing" a hunter even after the hunter has gone stealth after a melee strike. may just be glitches, but perhaps not?

Why would MOTTM make Crota see an invis Hunter more than a different helmet?

Namikaze1

Yes. It is the new gjallarhorn
:D

..... no... nope.... I just don't feel right saying that, now I need to go take a hot shower.
D:

It shoots Wolf Pack rounds.

One of these two sentences is a lie.
That second sentence is a lie!

Yes, it's impossible to go back....

Nah, Bungie doesn't give a shit to buff underpowered weapons in a timely fashion lol.
You were supposed to lie to me!

Yes, they gave it a new perk that kills a level 2 Dredg with one full clip.
I call bullshit! I can easily kill a level 30 dreg with one clip!

LTWood12

there have been questions as to whether wearing MotTM may lead to Crota "seeing" a hunter even after the hunter has gone stealth after a melee strike. may just be glitches, but perhaps not?

but what will it be called after he finally gets one?

I've had him kill me twice in the last couple of days while I was invisible, wearing MOTM.

just some observations from some friends with whom i was playing at the time. and some glitchiness with Hawkian last night while he was wearing it at first, but didn't happen during the last sword, so hard to ratify.

That was a really fun run for me, one of the the craziest I've had as sword runner hehe. Glad I could help, and grats on that gally ;)

Saved a video of the run since it was too good not to haha. Please excuse my annoying voice, I always record mic/party chat :)

https://youtu.be/o1oK2CB2Ezs

Nice save! Well done.

Reminds me of some of my more drama filled Crota kills, though mine are on NM and generally caused by my own scrubiness!

E92 M3

Yeah we should be able to blow through these CP's. Easy job indeed.

No DDistractions.

gySC4JU.gif

:D

D:

That second sentence is a lie!

You were supposed to lie to me!

I call bullshit! I can easily kill a level 30 dreg with one clip!

Love doesn't lie

Gala

I would love to do a fresh hard crota run today, I don't get out of work until 3PM EST though.

Will try and get a group together around that time if anyone is interested.

Would love to, but I have to work till 4pm EST and won't be home until 4:30pm. If you're still looking then, I'm in

noomi

Nice save! Well done.

Reminds me of some of my more drama filled Crota kills, though mine are on NM and generally caused by my own scrubiness!

Would love to, but I have to work till 4pm EST and won't be home until 4:30pm. If you're still looking then, I'm in

Normally I would, but the wife gets in @ around 5PM and that means no more destiny until later in the evening :p

RetroMG

I was thinking last night... The raid for House of Wolves is supposedly going to be "The Arena," right? So I imagine basically we'll be in a large area where we'll be attacked by waves of enemies.

Just like what happens at least once in every strike.

I am not filled with confidence.

LTWood12

I was thinking last night... The raid for House of Wolves is supposedly going to be "The Arena," right? So I imagine basically we'll be in a large area where we'll be attacked by waves of enemies.

Or maybe there will be a PVP aspect to it, and the team will be split up and pitted against each other.

Deku Tree

Or maybe there will be a PVP aspect to it, and the team will be split up and pitted against each other.

Or maybe it's like "the running man" movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093894/

MotTM is not related.

A few things can cause it, mainly Scrota storing his aggro from before he kneels and then smacking the f out of you once he stands. The aggro is generated from non-invis form so it doesn't matter if you are invis from blink strike afterwards. This is why the killed-while-invis is associated with the blink strike, totally unrelated to armor. Also why he won't smack you while invisible the first time you jump up there regardless of your armor (either super invis or crouch invis typically).

E.g. Attacking w sword before the first shield break causes your invis to go away and can result in Scrota aggro that lasts until after he stands again. It's happened to me many many times even though Don't Touch Me is my standard sword running exotic.

This was also an issue with the cheese patch which seemed to complicate the storage of information related to a shield break and the corresponding immune shield. Shield break is generated "locally" but immune shield timing is cloud-based/Bungie side or w/e the technical description would be. They wanted to prevent host Ethernet disconnection from stopping his subsequent immune+stand response but it just added fuel to this dumpster fire boss fight.

So Scrota might not start kneeling until his immune shield is already active if lag is bad for the sword runner which can further throw off his intended response to blink strike invis. It can also mess up what the sword guy sees as Scrota's shield break timing, like yesterday doing HM Scrota: on my screen I saw DeathJR sword slice before the first shield break. It resulted in him getting smacked when Scrota stood even though he was clearly invisible. But on Ruthless DJ's screen Scrota was already kneeling before he attacked.

This now concludes another episode of "Dr. Boguester Yells at Clouds."

Hmm, what questions? It has certainly happened to me while wearing MotTM during crota. He has seen me while I'm invisible on the right rock, on the platform and also while I'm behind him after a blink strike.

However, I always wear MotTM while running sword, and it's mostly just lag that makes him kill me. I've killed scrota while wearing mask way more times than he's killed me, so MotTM doesn't have anything to do with this in my experience.

Drizzay also mentioned that if you start your attack on Crota before he actualy goes into his kneel animation, he will store that attack and kill you the minute his shield comes up.

. It can also mess up what the sword guy sees as Scrota's shield break timing, like yesterday doing HM Scrota: on my screen I saw DeathJR sword slice before the first shield break. It resulted in him getting smacked when Scrota stood even though he was clearly invisible. But on Ruthless DJ's screen Scrota was already kneeling before he attacked.

Yeah that was a half hour wasted yesterday :(

It's an arena where the Queen will sit on her throne and we will fight her best champions one after the other, until we get to the boss - her brother.

LTWood12

MotTM is not related.

A few things can cause it, mainly Scrota storing his aggro from before he kneels and then smacking the f out of you once he stands. The aggro is generated from non-invis form so it doesn't matter if you are invis from blink strike afterwards. This is why the killed-while-invis is associated with the blink strike, totally unrelated to armor. Also why he won't smack you while invisible the first time you jump up there regardless of your armor (either super invis or crouch invis typically).

E.g. Attacking w sword before the first shield break causes your invis to go away and can result in Scrota aggro that lasts until after he stands again. It's happened to me many many times even though Don't Touch Me is my standard sword running exotic.

This was also an issue with the cheese patch which seemed to complicate the storage of information related to a shield break and the corresponding immune shield. Shield break is generated "locally" but immune shield timing is cloud-based/Bungie side or w/e the technical description would be. They wanted to prevent host Ethernet disconnection from stopping his subsequent immune+stand response but it just added fuel to this dumpster fire boss fight.

So Scrota might not start kneeling until his immune shield is already active if lag is bad for the sword runner which can further throw off his intended response to blink strike invis. It can also mess up what the sword guy sees as Scrota's shield break timing, like yesterday doing HM Scrota: on my screen I saw DeathJR sword slice before the first shield break. It resulted in him getting smacked when Scrota stood even though he was clearly invisible. But on Ruthless DJ's screen Scrota was already kneeling before he attacked.

Alot of useful information for a young padawan. Didn't realize his aggro carried all of the way from before the kneel to after.

Deku Tree

Is this really factually known to be true, or is it just what people think is probably true?

Alot of useful information for a young padawan. Didn't realize his aggro carried all of the way from before the kneel to after.

Yeah I didn't know this either before yesterday. Always something new to learn while playing with the doctor :)

Also Drizzay has intimate knowledge of Scrota's shenanigans, after all he's spent the most time getting up close and personal with him :p

RetroMG

It's an arena where the Queen will sit on her throne and we will fight her best champions one after the other, until we get to the boss - her brother.

I don't know if this is speculation or information, but that makes it sound like a Boss Rush mode. Which is, admittedly, way more interesting that what I came up with.

Definitely an interesting idea but I would hate this so much. For me, raid = teammwork (I know you aren't suggesting otherwise, this is just a tangential rant).

Flawless raider requires no teammate deaths because you are supposed to care about your squad, not just the "get MY loot" mindset from so much of Destiny. They already threw this core philosophy out the window with the Scrota Sword-Star Showcase; another raid w/o a team focus would be very disheartening to me.

LTWood12

Definitely an interesting idea but I would hate this so much. For me, raid = teammwork (I know you aren't suggesting otherwise, this is just a tangential rant).

Flawless raider requires no teammate deaths because you are supposed to care about your squad, not just the "get MY loot" mindset from so much of Destiny. They already threw this core philosophy out the window with the Scrota Sword-Star Showcase; another raid w/o a team focus would be very disheartening to me.

I'm with you.

GhaleonEB

Nightfall 1: Ice Breaker

I'm one of the very few that don't like using it due to the extreme recoil (I sharded one from Xur a while back after using it for a bit). Into the vault, will lug around future Nightfalls for when I'm out of ammo.

Still, my first decent exotic from a Nightfall. Based RNGesus.

Homeboyd

Nightfall 1: Ice Breaker

I'm one of the very few that don't like using it due to the extreme recoil (I sharded one from Xur a while back after using it for a bit). Into the vault, will lug around future Nightfalls for when I'm out of ammo.

Still, my first decent exotic from a Nightfall. Based RNGesus.
Don't you dare shard this one. Max it immediately and use it forever.

GOAT exotic.

GOAT I SAY.

patchday

Anyone bout to hit up Nightfall to take on the bullet sponge? Wouldnt mind grabbing the xp bonus. otherwise, I'll just do weekly

edit -> sandboxgod

Join on me for hard Gorgon.

I'll sit around here for the next 15 mins or so for whoever wants it.

PSN: Bradach333

man I always miss out on free loot

Is this really factually known to be true, or is it just what people think is probably true?

Not factually known but I would bet my bottom dollar that it's generally accurate, given the large caveat that I completely lack the technical knowledge to describe it properly. So the "technical" description could be way off but I firmly believe the gist of it is true.

As for people believing it, I've never seen it mentioned anywhere so who knows. It's 100% based on me wasting so many hours of my life in that room/watching my saved videos.

Yeah definitely important to keep in mind but I also want to emphasize that it's not guaranteed to happen, just that it can happen. There are tons of factors involved with the coding and networking mumbo jumbo so it's hard to say definitively what happens each time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What's this about Mask of the Third Man?
Just speculation that it had something to do with Crota seeing you even while invisible ("Hive eyes!"), but almost definitely superstition. I know for a fact I wasn't host last night so that's the more likely culprit.
I've had him kill me twice in the last couple of days while I was invisible, wearing MOTM.
I did switch to Knucklehead after it happened twice, but then I switched back to grab an orb during the last attempt and forgot to revert so I finished him wearing MotTM and blink strike invis worked just fine.
Drizzay also mentioned that if you start your attack on Crota before he actualy goes into his kneel animation, he will store that attack and kill you the minute his shield comes up.
I do this all the time, so much so that it is basically my standard procedure for attacking him... he definitely doesn't attack as soon as his shield goes up 100% of the time under these conditions. Perhaps getting the blink strike invis off quickly enough causes him to lose the aggro.
Yeah definitely important to keep in mind but I also want to emphasize that it's not guaranteed to happen, just that it can happen. There are tons of factors involved with the coding and networking mumbo jumbo so it's hard to say definitively what happens each time.
ah yeah. Makes sense, there is a bevy of "hard to reproduce" behavior. Ensuring the swordbearer is host does seem to minimize the unpredictability (though from the perspective of the other team members things may still look weird, at least the swordbearer's point of view is consistent)

Dunno man, I've had times when I've hit him with blink strike and didn't go invisible.

Times when he's smashed me and instead of dying I've gone flying 50 feet in the air.

It's just Scrota, he's like that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I really hate high recoil anything as well but Ice Breaker is seriously something special. you can be holed up alone boxed into a crack in a mountain with a sea of enemies in front of you and come out alive with that gun.

Don't you dare shard this one. Max it immediately and use it forever.

GOAT exotic.

GOAT I SAY.

I actually put an Exotic Shard into my 300 damage one yesterday because I was tired of waiting for the upgrade. I'll just hope it drops or Xur sells it so I can get two shards from the old one.

Wish I had a Hawkmoon...

I wonder how they'll integrate the Playstation exlusives into the loot pools on the Xbox once they get added. If Bungie truly cared, they'd have a blowout weekend with Xur and just sell all of them.

Deku Tree

Not factually known but I would bet my bottom dollar that it's generally accurate, given the large caveat that I completely lack the technical knowledge to describe it properly. So the "technical" description could be way off but I firmly believe the gist of it is true.

As for people believing it, I've never seen it mentioned anywhere so who knows. It's 100% based on me wasting so many hours of my life in that room/watching my saved videos.

That's possible.

What seems clear in any case is that there is some unintended consequence of whatever they did to patch the Crota disconnect cheese that causes (1) Crota to stand up early and (2) Crota to aggro on an invisible swordbearer who got off a blink strike. Both of these frustrating issues seem to be also majorly affected by lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom