• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's this week gonna be? I miss Solar :( I'm guessing it's Arc though since it's so crazy prevalent in the rotation.

Expected to be Solar Omni.

If you are willing to get a group together in the next hour or so I'll help.

I don't know whether I should get GTAV or BB and play them. Witcher 3 is around the corner and I finally beat Evil Within having it since launch and being the reason why I got the PS4 in the first place. Funny because it runs like crap on PS4 so I ended up getting the PC version and enjoying it 99999999x more.

Not getting Mortal Kombat X?

Rehsa

Just got back from taking my kid to Sea World, luckily the resort had decent wifi so I was able to log in and nab the Armamentarium since I did not get it last time. Also finally maxed my St.14 after buying helmets for mats
LOL
I haven't done any Crota runs again this week, not sure I will tonight due to GoT and Silicon Valley. Maybe tomorrow, still would like a Hunger :/

Edit: And Salvage was back :( Guess I will try to knock the last of that out, should only need a handful of captures..I hope

Edit 2: Well that was fast, only needed 3 more captures lol, only Flawless left to be a Glord :)

GhaleonEB

That new Witcher 3 video kinda makes Destiny's content a bit of an embarrassment.

Granted, you could always argue that, but now....jeez.

Different kind of game. Skyrim makes every Halo games' content an embarrassment, but there are very different beasts. (Not that Destiny doesn't need more content, just that they are not really comparable.)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Not getting Mortal Kombat X?

I buy a lot of games. Whether I play them is another story. Haven't really touched MK since the 90s. Of course I'll be supporting it by watching streams, promoting, etc. That being said I hear the netcode is crap so don't be so if that is the case it's just another NRS game where it will sell millions but not last long in the competitive scene.

I need a game to tide me over until House hits. I still play Ultra but most gaffers are too scared to play with me.

Deku Tree

Different kind of game. Skyrim makes every Halo games' content an embarrassment, but there are very different beasts. (Not that Destiny doesn't need more content, just that they are not really comparable.)

I've thought about this and I'm not sure what the right amount of content is for a "shared world shooter" honestly.

Destiny has about a standard amount of content for a SP Halo type shooter.

But Bungie has taken the shooter genre and added some RPG elements,
and some MMO-lite elements,
and given us reasons to keep playing the same content over and over...

... And by RPG or MMO-lite standards the amount of content in Destiny is extremely limited.

So we all want more content and more meaty "expansions" and fewer reused locations and making and argument about how much content Destiny should have by comparison to other games is hard to do because Destiny is really the first game of its type that I know about.
Please don't compare it to borderlands.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn, Sword Schoolers, I'm so sorry! I was helping a friend out with some Tech support stuff and lost track of time. :( Looking at the clock now, and I see we didn't have a full sign-up sheet anyway, I'm gonna go ahead and cancel tonight's class. Again, seriously I apologize.

rasengan and mfn_pie, if you guys are available tomorrow night I'd be happy to lead it then! I'll repost the signups but you guys will have your spots secure.

edit: Rescheduled Sword School, tomrrow 4/13 at 9:00PM ET

mfn_pie

Damn, Sword Schoolers, I'm so sorry! I was helping a friend out with some Tech support stuff and lost track of time. :( Looking at the clock now, and I see we didn't have a full sign-up sheet anyway, I'm gonna go ahead and cancel tonight's class. Again, seriously I apologize.

rasengan and mfn_pie, if you guys are available tomorrow night I'd be happy to lead it then! I'll repost the signups but you guys will have your spots secure.

I won't be available tomorrow until midnight eastern. I'm looking to kill some stuff tonight so if anyone needs help with anything hit me up.

Shirow

Banned
Yes I got it Finally!!!!!
4Ectric.jpg

That and the last word both dropped for me on same raid!!!!

GhaleonEB

I've thought about this and I'm not sure what the right amount of content is for a "shared world shooter" honestly.

... And by RPG or MMO-lite standards the amount of content in Destiny is extremely limited.

So we all want more content and more meaty "expansions" and fewer reused locations and making and argument about how much content Destiny should have by comparison to other games is hard to do because Destiny is really the first game of its type that I know about.
I can't comment about the PvP side of things, but I think the general structure of Destiny is fine, and when listed out, has plenty of "content" (I'm learning to hate that word), but I think Destiny's main problem is it asked more of players than it had content to justify. Put differently, if the base game didn't ask for such a steep end game grind, I think the level of stuff it shipped with would have been fine. But the climb was steep, and the options grew stale as we did them. (Another raid or two and four more strikes would have done wonders.) With HoW we'll have enough content to have endured the grind the shipping game asked, without it having grown too stale.

Beyond that, there are some specific features that would have gone a long ways toward making the base content more compelling over time. For example, a greater variety of mission modifiers, applied and rotated to greater affect (in both regular missions and strike playlists) would have helped. My hope is HoW brings not just new stuff to do, but a few ways to refresh the base content.
Yes I got it Finally!!!!!
4Ectric.jpg

That and the last word both dropped for me on same raid!!!!

Congrats!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
don't know what's going down with Sword School, so in the meantime, if you need a fill out the team, i can jump in.
edit: i can def jump in now :)
no worries, Hawkian! thanks, and I think i can do tomorrow night.
oh I'm glad to hear that. I thought it was was earlier :(
I won't be available tomorrow until midnight eastern. I'm looking to kill some stuff tonight so if anyone needs help with anything hit me up.
ahh, man I'm really sorry.

LT does your group still need help?

Did you run the chalice dungeons? I've got 1 boss left before the "ending" but started running the dungeons for the first time. Hope Bungie at least lets us know soon when HoW is dropping.

Nice! Not really, I did the 1st layer and just the basically started the 2nd layer. You?

I buy a lot of games. Whether I play them is another story. Haven't really touched MK since the 90s. Of course I'll be supporting it by watching streams, promoting, etc. That being said I hear the netcode is crap so don't be so if that is the case it's just another NRS game where it will sell millions but not last long in the competitive scene.

I need a game to tide me over until House hits. I still play Ultra but most gaffers are too scared to play with me.

Crap netcode? If you're referring to the PC version, then MK has always been crap on PC.

MKX netcode will be the same as Injustice and MK9, and both were pretty great on consoles.

Why would gaffers be scared to play against you? That said I haven't touched SSF4 in over a year.

Deku Tree

I can't comment about the PvP side of things, but I think the general structure of Destiny is fine, and when listed out, has plenty of "content" (I'm learning to hate that word), but I think Destiny's main problem is it asked more of players than it had content to justify. Put differently, if the base game didn't ask for such a steep end game grind, I think the level of stuff it shipped with would have been fine. But the climb was steep, and the options grew stale as we did them. (Another raid or two and four more strikes would have done wonders.) With HoW we'll have enough content to have endured the grind the shipping game asked, without it having grown too stale.

Beyond that, there are some specific features that would have gone a long ways toward making the base content more compelling over time. For example, a greater variety of mission modifiers, applied and rotated to greater affect (in both regular missions and strike playlists) would have helped. My hope is HoW brings not just new stuff to do, but a few ways to refresh the base content.

I agree. And I like the way you describe it. The amount of content is about right for a shooter although we all want more, but the amount of content was way too small for the amount of grinding they asked you to do in the end game.

And TDB should have introduced new environments instead of placing the new strikes in the same old places we've already been through a million times. I get that they don't want to split the player base but they could have thought of some way to give us new environments and not spit the player base.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Exactly. Netcode isn't an improvement from those games and for the majority of competitive players it is subpar. MK doesn't have crazy links like Ultra so it wouldn't really matter too much but for fundamentals and such it would make a difference.

Play me to find out. :)

Has there been any more word on when the patch is supposed to drop? Or it still an urban myth just like HoW and Half-Life 3?

Half-life 3 or The Last Guardian or HoW? Which one will it be :p

edit:
Nice! Not really, I did the 1st layer and just the basically started the 2nd layer. You?
Off topic but you should have done them during the course of the game. Depth 1-3 will be pretty easy. Depth 4-5 are. IMO, meant for ng+.

Exactly. Netcode isn't an improvement from those games and for the majority of competitive players it is subpar. MK doesn't have crazy links like Ultra so it wouldn't really matter too much but for fundamentals and such it would make a difference.

Play me to find out. :)

MKX looks and plays really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqGhVgQbq_0

I'll play you on MKX if you get it on PS4 :p

My Akuma on SSF4 is way too rusty now.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
We're talking about netcode and you're linking me to a offline tournament which a fellow gaffer and FGC commentator is doing commentary for. Of course the game is great offline but it won't have a robust online community if the netcode is already considered at most the same as MK9 and Injustice which are both dead games at this point because of the subpar online play. Good online play is a must for fighting games nowadays. Good ol Max has said it's bad along with Rip and Aris. I'll take their word for it for now.

I haven't really played Ultra since Destiny came out so I won't be at my best either.

Kalamari

I really hope the leveling of weapons is improved in Destiny 2 (or removed altogether), it's such a pain in the ass. It seems like there so many great things in this game, but the grindy stuff gets in the way of it all.

We're talking about netcode and you're linking me to a offline tournament which a fellow gaffer and FGC commentator is doing commentary for. Of course the game is great offline but it won't have a robust online community if the netcode is already considered at most the same as MK9 and Injustice which are both dead games at this point because of the subpar online play. Good online play is a must for fighting games nowadays. Good ol Max has said it's bad along with Rip and Aris. I'll take their word for it for now.

I haven't really played Ultra since Destiny came out so I won't be at my best either.

I just meant that the game looks and plays really well, so there is no reason not to get it. I honestly don't play fighting games online very much unless it's with friends, so don't care about netcode. I play games for fun :)

FyreWulff

I feel like Destiny could use a few more strikes. They wouldn't even have to be full on strikes each time, just add some more for variety and a couple of different styles.

Like, have one that drops you into a central area and it's basically a gladiator brawl to survive, instead of the long path to the boss style most of them have.

Some story missions would make good mini-strikes if you had the ability to skip cutscenes.

RetroMG

I'm in, for reals this time.

On a not-unrelated note, I just explained Sword School to my wife. That went about as well as one would think.

LTWood12

Still need a hand, I can jump in with any one of my characters

I will help, just give me a couple minutes to log on.

I'm in, PSN: HidingMyThunder

don't know what's going down with Sword School, so in the meantime, if you need a fill out the team, i can jump in.
edit: i can def jump in now :)
no worries, Hawkian! thanks, and I think i can do tomorrow night.

Thanks for the kill everyone! You too Gutz and T-44!

Kalamari

Destiny 2 should make all shaders immediately available, it's stupid to grind faction just to get your favorite color for your guardian.

RetroMG

Destiny 2 should make all shaders immediately available, it's stupid to have to grind faction just to get your favorite color for your guardian.

Or make them available to buy at certain ranks instead of relying on RNG.

At the very least we shouldn't have to wait until level 20 to wear them.

Destiny 2 should make all shaders immediately available, it's stupid to have to grind faction just to get your favorite color for your guardian.

Grinding factions period is stupid....Not to mention fucking locking factions gear through Crucible marks, and not making it either or. It's like, fuck off I'm not going to grind crucible each week and also grind that factions rep to buy a weapon. I could handle grinding the factions rep by wearing their mark, but making me PVP to get the marks necessary, whilst simultaneously losing out on vanguard rep? Nah fuck that noise.

border

Would anyone be down for a quick Nightfall? I have a sniper rifle with armor piercing rounds so cheese is definitely on the table.

Grinding factions period is stupid....Not to mention fucking locking factions gear through Crucible marks, and not making it either or. It's like, fuck off I'm not going to grind crucible each week and also grind that factions rep to buy a weapon. I could handle grinding the factions rep by wearing their mark, but making me PVP to get the marks necessary, whilst simultaneously losing out on vanguard rep? Nah fuck that noise.

But you should have enough time...

Destiny is life. No other games, no other things in life but Destiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom