• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in killing Atheon at some point today (normal or hard) if anyone else is doing it. Pretty much my last weekly thing to do before the reset (1 more weekly heroic I think, too).

Yeah like, knowing what Dragons Breath does, it's sooo bad. Sure it's probably good against bosses that sit still, but like all bosses don't sit still. And if it was between Gjallahorn(Or Good Docter) and Dragons Breath, 10 out of 10 times I'd pick The Good Doctor. I mean, Gjallahorn.

I think you're underrating how cool DB looks. That smoke coming out the dragon's head is cooler than anything aesthetically going on with Ghally imho (don't flame me too hard). And everyone who's played for a while is using Ghally. It's like using a +5 Ruler's Sword with 1,000,000 souls in Dark Souls II (at least before the nerf). Sure, everyone knew it was the best, but it was also everywhere in high-level PVP. Dragon's Breath bros unite xD

Gotta say, I've enjoyed putting Destiny aside to tackle my backlog. Finished Valiant Hearts last week (great game, by the way) and now I've dived back into Shadow of Mordor. Aside from NF and the occasional raid, I'm taking a break until HoW.

If I honestly keep trying to play, I'm going to start developing a distaste for it. I don't want that to happen.

Shito

If I've done CE on normal what drops do I get for doing CE on hard?

Is it the same or just shards or just weapons / armor and no shards?
Nothing from chests you've already opened, nothing from Deathsinger, but some mats from the other phases, and a chance at primary weapons. Also exotic chance at Crota if I'm not mistaken.

Gotta say, I've enjoyed putting Destiny aside to tackle my backlog. Finished Valiant Hearts last week (great game, by the way) and now I've dived back into Shadow of Mordor. Aside from NF and the occasional raid, I'm taking a break until HoW.

If I honestly keep trying to play, I'm going to start developing a distaste for it. I don't want that to happen.

Same for me. I beat Ori and Bloodborne and both were fantastic!! Now I'm going to retry Witcher since I barely scratched the surface back when.

I want to catch a raid soon. I miss people getting excited over getting new gear/weapons haha

Bradach

Nothing from chests you already opened, nothing from Deathsinger, but some mats from the other phases, and a chance at primary weapons. Also exotic chance at Crota if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks, I suspected there was some restrictions. good to know. My second character just needs a bunch of shards to hit 32

The chests and Deathsinger won't give you anything.

Abyss: Radiant materials or Pulse Rifle
Bridge: Radiant materials or Auto Rifle
Crota: Radiant materials and helmet/Hand Cannon/Scout Rifle/Ship/Sparrow/Crux/Exotic Weapon

Edit: sorry you'd already been answered.

Thanks for the detail.

I wonder what the reason for nothing at deathsinger is? seems weird as you have to do a good bit of work for that phase

ocean

Banned
If I've done CE on normal what drops do I get for doing CE on hard?

Is it the same or just shards or just weapons / armor and no shards?
The chests and Deathsinger won't give you anything.

Abyss: Radiant materials or Pulse Rifle
Bridge: Radiant materials or Auto Rifle
Crota: Radiant materials and helmet/Hand Cannon/Scout Rifle/Ship/Sparrow/Crux/Exotic Weapon

Shito

You answered with more details than I did, so that's a good thing. :)

Ran the first two phases on hard with my usual group yesterday. We only downed Crota 3 times, and apart from me they are all 31s (I solo-ed a lot of shits in CE ^^), so that's probably the maximum of what we could do, especially given the fact that there were only 5 of us because of a last minute defect, but I was quite happy to help them get some Oversoul Edict and Abyss Defiant. I'm starting to be at least equally happy to see some of my friends get a good loot than when I got it myself...

trying to figure out when and how I should prepare myself for HOW.

currenlty racking up class mats, marks, and planet mats. dont know when i should start thuogh. I know I want 200 marks by the time HOW drops but I need to purhcase planet mats as well. God I want the release date so I know when to start hoarding. There are a cuople of exotics (red death, MMT) I was thinking of leveling but unsure if I should bother at this point.

red death had its place in time, I wonder how usuful it will be down the road. I really wish there was a primary I really liked.

It feels like TDB exotic weapons were designed by a marketing team that didn't really think at all about anything more than how they would look on commercials to new players who don't really know.

yeah I'd definitely agree with that. To their credit, NLB, 4th H, and DB all have a cool old-timey Wolrd War design aesthetic. Too bad they also work about as well as WW weapons would in the sci-fi future.

rNilla

There's nothing wrong with 4th Horseman, even in its current nerfed state, it's just that it isn't worth using as an exotic over a legendary shotgun. Unlike NLB or Dragon's Breath it isn't complete garbage.

Bradach

trying to figure out when and how I should prepare myself for HOW.

currenlty racking up class mats, marks, and planet mats. dont know when i should start thuogh. I know I want 200 marks by the time HOW drops but I need to purhcase planet mats as well. God I want the release date so I know when to start hoarding. There are a cuople of exotics (red death, MMT) I was thinking of leveling but unsure if I should bother at this point.

red death had its place in time, I wonder how usuful it will be down the road. I really wish there was a primary I really liked.

Someone here mentioned they were leaving Cryptarch and Vanguard packages with the postmaster. The hope being that when HoW arrives and they're opened there is a chance they'll be using the new loot table!
I've started leaving them also. (the only downside is that there is a constant green ! over the postmaster now though)

Shito

There's nothing wrong with 4th Horseman, even in its current nerfed state, it's just that it isn't worth using as an exotic over a legendary shotgun. Unlike NLB or Dragon's Breath it isn't complete garbage.
I'd say that this means there is something wrong with it. ^^

Lima

Someone here mentioned they were leaving Cryptarch and Vanguard packages with the postmaster. The hope being that when HoW arrives and they're opened there is a chance they'll be using the new loot table!
I've started leaving them also. (the only downside is that there is a constant green ! over the postmaster now though)

This doesn't work. It didn't work for TDB and it will also not work for HOW. You could stack up some public event packages since they give 5k XP to level up some new stuff.

rNilla

I guess but even blue shotguns are viable with the shotgun buff. My main point is that unlike NLB or DB it's an effective weapon should you choose to wield it and doesn't deserve to be lumped together in the "TDB exotics are garbage" pile.

Shito

This doesn't work. It didn't work for TDB and it will also not work for HOW. You could stack up some public event packages since they give 5k XP to level up some new stuff.
Yep.
The correct way to do it is to leave a maximum of factions about to be levelled up, and level them up all *after* the DLC hits.
Did that for TDB and it got me a few armor pieces right away.

saving engrams doesn't work. saving faction packages in hopes that one can use them to decrypt new DLC stuff, because they don't have specific engrams until the package is opened, apparently does work.

I guess but even blue shotguns are viable with the shotgun buff. My main point is that unlike NLB or DB it's an effective weapon should you choose to wield it and doesn't deserve to be lumped together in the "TDB exotics are garbage" pile.

have one, but never fired it.
let alone equipped it. I should give it a try becuase shotguns are fun now. when I do the blade of crota bounty they go down so fast with either swordbreaker or FV. even thuogh thier awesome now shotguns still suffer the same problem as before. they are not a feasible weopon in high level content like NF or weekly. you just dont want to get that close. and with 4th horseman, you have to get really close. uncompfortably close.

NLB is reasonably effective in Crucible considering how strong the Destiny auto aim is, but it's still outclassed by many Legendary or even blue options and has no effective PvE use besides the heavy ammo glitch.

DB doesn't really have an caveat for its suckitude. Solar flare to keep enemies off control points for a few seconds... I guess?

4th H is thoroughly outclassed by multiple Legendary shotguns for PvE and PvP (especially Felwinters), and even some blues in PvP. And that's before accounting for the huge detriment of wasting your exotic spot. It has no special advantage over Legendary weapons which is a fatal flaw for any exotic. It has earned its place in the pile.

Namikaze1

Man, I just can't wait to see what Bungie does with Destiny 2. I'm 99% sure that they will drop last gen. I dreamt last night of traversing through a blizzard on our sparrows, coming across new enemy types, seeing a bit of the wildlife, killing the douche, some actual space combat, Gjallarhorn 2.0, a bigger and more populated Tower, killing the douche, weapon shaders, a training room, Gjallarhorn 2.0, sparrow customization, killing the douche, space dragons, some more races, some more classes, Gjallarhorn 2.0, access weapon/armor/item storage from orbit (in-game), an actual story, killing the douche, more planets, etc.

I forgot to mention Gjallarhorn 2.0 and killing the Queen's douchy brother.

NLB is reasonably effective in Crucible considering how strong the Destiny auto aim is, but it's still outclassed by many Legendary or even blue options and has no effective PvE use besides the heavy ammo glitch.

DB doesn't really have an caveat for its suckitude. Solar flare to keep enemies off control points for a few seconds... I guess?

4th H is thoroughly outclassed by multiple Legendary shotguns for PvE and PvP (especially Felwinters), and even some blues in PvP. And that's before accounting for the huge detriment of wasting your exotic spot. It has no special advantage over Legendary weapons which is a fatal flaw for any exotic. It has earned its place in the pile.
i've seen people use DB for shrieker extermination. if you don't have G'horn, it seems like a viable function for it, at least superficially.
edit: oops - double post. sorry!

Really? I guess I can open all the dead orbit packages I've been saving. Thought I could use them to level up gear when the DLC hits.

They give rep for whatever class item faction you are wearing when you open them. So it's still smart to save them until HoW drops so you can quickly level up a few factions to buy armor IF they add another new BS commendation system and vendor armor that has higher light than CE raid gear.

Of course Luke said they weren't going to repeat that last mistake but we haven't heard the official details yet, so better to wait it out for a bit until we get the final word.

Lima

that's what i thought, but i was talking with some gafers yesterday, and they had seen it work. do you have evidence to the contrary?

Just like some people on here said they got armor from Crota HM after already clearing NM, getting armor from the shrieker hallway chest etc.

Basically means a whole bunch of bullshit.

stb

I was just about to type that, Shito. =)

All the exotics should be worth using, even situationally.

Hell, I'd even be fine with it if they were ONLY worth using situationally. The actual design (model) of 4th horseman is cool, but, like... DO something with it. Make it fire all 4 barrels at once, have a huge cone, and do 4x damage in PVE, but have a tiny reserve and long reload time. e.g. killing the L33 knights at the end of CE in one shot up close.

stb

Yeah, didn't work last time. What some people are doing is juggling faction class items to get all factions ALMOST to dropping a package. That way you can play on day 1 of HoW and get a package from every faction.

Edit: same thing with exotic bounties. I just got the SGA bounty (the last one I needed! One of just a few exotics I don't have yet.) on Friday, so I'll not turn it in until after How drops so I get the HoW-upgraded version.

Could have sworn I got some XP from one, but I haven't opened one in ages.

I thought so too but a fellow GAFer corrected me and checking last night they were right, best bet is to level each faction to just shy of ranking and then spread your bounties on day 1 of HoW to rank each faction for that sweet new loot.

waters10

Neo Member
Yesterday I was finally able to solo Crota on Normal, without a ghorn! I know there's plenty of people that have done it and it's not a big deal, but still took me a lot of attempts and it was certainly a personal high point for me with this game!

Since I didn't have ghorn, I used Dragon's Breath! Yep, for most everything, Hunger of Crota is poor man's ghorn, but having 3 rockets on the magazine means it's possible to bring Crota's shield down by yourself. I attacked him on the sides and it took 4 swords.

i've seen people use DB for shrieker extermination. if you don't have G'horn, it seems like a viable function for it, at least superficially.

Unique function is the key. Since Shriekers are stationary DB is kinda sorta uniquely qualified, but the lack of tracking could make it worse. Not a meaningful advantage to me over practically any other heavy choice, exotic or not. Also, a designated Shriker-killer is another case of "solution to a non-existent problem."

This discussion kinda makes me want to go through the exotic weapon list and decide which ones qualify as having truly unique uses, regardless of how useful those uses are. For example, Monte Carlo can be combined with Claws of Aka-maka-muka for a unique build even though its serious-PvE utility is limited. Even NLB is undeniably unique as the go-to PvP troll weapon.

Only two I can't think of anything remotely unique are 4th H or Hard Light, excluding aesthetics. DBreath and Necrogarbage are pretty borderline. Really depends on how generous you want to be with the qualification of "unique use" though.

Simonnnnn

Morning DGaf :D

Well.... I haven't really played too much Destiny over the last few days, let alone even turned on my PS4. I will be shifting my gaming focus to PC for a little while... GTA5 releases for the PC today and I have a nice backlog to catch up to. Also I have created a thread on the gaming side that I will be tending to.

I'll be around, just not as much, at least not until HoW rolls around. Feel free to shoot me a message, or friend me on steam. Name and avatar are the same as here.

See you guys soon! <3

Noooo Noomi! Have fun with GTA :) if you pop onto the PS4 I've a friend request waiting there for you! :)

LTWood12

Unique function is the key. Since Shriekers are stationary DB is kinda sorta uniquely qualified, but the lack of tracking could make it worse. Not a meaningful advantage to me over practically any other heavy choice, exotic or not. Also, a designated Shriker-killer is another case of "solution to a non-existent problem."

This discussion kinda makes me want to go through the exotic weapon list and decide which ones qualify as having truly unique uses, regardless of how useful those uses are. For example, Monte Carlo can be combined with Claws of Aka-maka-muka for a unique build even though its serious-PvE utility is limited. Even NLB is undeniably unique as the go-to PvP troll weapon.

Only two I can't think of anything remotely unique are 4th H or Hard Light, excluding aesthetics. DBreath and Necrogarbage are pretty borderline. Really depends on how generous you want to be with the qualification of "unique use" though.

I can't think of any situation where using Hard Light, 4th Horseman, and Dragon's Breath would be preferable to anything. They're unique only so much as they look rad. Nechrocasm at the very least is a primary that does arc damage.

Hey guys.

Can't wait for the next patch. Got a nice, needed break from things.

Played some Hyrule Warriors/Capt Toad, caught up on some series on Netflix/Hulu/HBO.

Anyway, is there reason to believe the patch is coming out this week? I mostly felt pushed away from that damn IB Shotgun. Two things wear me out more than anything else when it comes to a game like this.

Stupidly low TTK times, and horrible weapon variety. So when Felwinter's Lie was being passed around, I got real bored, real quick.

Anyway, how is everyone. Did I miss anything important besides the BWUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom