• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean

Banned
Actually I remember the HoW "Raid" being data mined a long time ago and it coming out as a weird result. Like CE was mined to exist in two versions (different difficulty levels) but "The Arena" was a 6 and a 3 person activity.

I don't recall the exact details, does anyone remember this 3-man thing?

Omni

The premise is already kinda disappointing to me.

I mean we went from fighting a GOD to mopping up Fallen. It's like season 6 of 24 all over again.

noomi

We can do it!

we can do it! reset day will be busy again!

I want to believe, it'll be just like old times guys *tear* The gangs all here!

All that snow ... Please Bungie!

I WOULD LOVE A WINTER SETTING - PLEASE! My favorite videogame environments are snow based.

And so the nightly hunt continues

A snow setting would be absolutely amazing, I wish there was a whole new planet covered in snow.

I really want HoW to be everything that TDB was supposed to....

E92 M3

I'd be disappointed if there was no raid, but a horde mode could be fun.

I want to believe, it'll be just like old times guys *tear* The gangs all here!

A snow setting would be absolutely amazing, I wish there was a whole new planet covered in snow.

I really want HoW to be everything that TDB was supposed to....

One of the reasons I loved Skyrim so much was because it was the dream video game environment for me :)

Axoman

I wonder if there will actually be a winter setting?

When installing Destiny, there is at least one screen of Fallen walking next to a Devil Walker in the winter. I wonder if that's related to this release?

GhaleonEB

Prison of Elders sounds like a horde mode activity to me than a raid.

I am willing to bet PoE is a PVP activity and not a raid.

Destiny nomenclature: "activities" are PvE.

Expand your Destiny adventure with a wealth of weapons, armor, and gear to earn in new story missions, three new competitive multiplayer maps, and a new cooperative Strike. Expansion II introduces a new competitive elimination mode in the Crucible and an all-new arena activity – The Prison of Elders. The Reef is open. Join the Awoken and hunt down the Fallen rising against us.

Prison of Elders is PvE.

And yeah, I'd love a winter themed area. The Fallen in winter artwork has been my work desktop since it was first revealed well over a year ago. Bungie's art with winter themes are always awesome and Destiny is really missing it.

Namikaze1

I hope the Prison of Elders is a new thing added to the expansion pack since this info leaked out and not the raid renamed:
destiny-house-of-wolves-dlc-detail-3.jpg

Deku Tree

Because it is not a raid.

I'm more hyped for Prison of Elders than I would be for any hypothetical raid; I've wanted an arena / survival mode in Destiny since launch so I'm super excited.

If it's just a survival mode, or a horde mode, or a boss rush mode then I don't know... I'm probably going to be dissapointed. The main thing that has kept me coming back to Destiny has been the Raids. HoW needs a new raid to get me excited for it.

I'd rather have a great horde mode than an okay raid. That to me seems like a great way to fill in the lack of content. I'd play the hell out of it.

dB Viper

If it's just a survival mode, or a horde mode, or a boss rush mode then I don't know... I'm probably going to be dissapointed. The main thing that has kept me coming back to Destiny has been the Raids. HoW needs a new raid to get me excited for it.

Same.

No raid? Not sure if I'll buy.

Arena can be a 3v3 mode, where 2 teams of 3 fight to survive against hordes of fallen. The team that survives the longest, wins. Or gets most points in time limit, etc.

Granted you won't be fighting against other players, but competing against another fireteam is a PVP activity in my books.

Trials of Osiris might be interesting. I am not huge on PvP, but would give it a shot. Hell, A Fate of All Fools might finally make its debut.

A Horde Mode activity seems like a natural extension of the game considering nearly every mission is already a small variant of this. I don't have a problem with it in general and am surprised something like that wasn't already in game, but it is super disappointing if that is our PvE activity in lieu of a Raid.

The game already suffers from an extreme lack of mission variety and the Raids were the one thing to mix things up. If we have to wait for Comet for another raid, I may not play much until then.

GhaleonEB

I'd rather have a great horde mode than an okay raid. That to me seems like a great way to fill in the lack of content. I'd play the hell out of it.

Same. And to me, a good arena mode - by which I mean one that has a good set of modifiers and not the same progression every time - has much more re-playability than a raid. They're totally not the same thing and don't scratch the same itches, but my love for Halo's Firefight runs deep and I've been hoping for something like that to hit Destiny. Didn't expect it until Comet, though.

Arena can be a 3v3 mode, where 2 teams of 3 fight to survive against hordes of fallen. The team that survives the longest, wins. Or gets most points in time limit, etc.

Granted you won't be fighting against other players, but competing against another fireteam is a PVP activity in my books.

Any activity where you're primarily fighting against AI is a PvE activity. Especially so if you can't kill the other team. What you're describing is more "Competitive PvE" the same way you can compete for better scores in Firefight.

I wonder if there will actually be a winter setting?

When installing Destiny, there is at least one screen of Fallen walking next to a Devil Walker in the winter. I wonder if that's related to this release?

TDB showed a water pit, never showed in game.

Also were are those Fallen in the cinematic? The reef doesnt looks like it have a planet but crashed ships

Daemul

After Crota I could do without another Raid for awhile. Horde mode sounds perfect, but I swear to God, if I end up having to carry fools to victory like in horde mode in other games....

GhaleonEB

Makes sense that's where the trailer is since Jupiter is next to the asteroid belt/reef

Or old Russia got real snowy
Oooh, great call. This makes a lot of sense.
After Crota I could do without another Raid for awhile. Horde mode sounds perfect, but I swear to God, if I end up having to carry fools to victory like in horde mode in other games....

I'm sure it will have matchmaking, but yeah. For it to shine, we're going to have to party up. The difference between a party of friends and randoms is enormous.

Any activity where you're primarily fighting against AI is a PvE activity. Especially so if you can't kill the other team. What you're describing is more "Competitive PvE" the same way you can compete for better scores in Firefight.

Yeah I get that, just hoping this is an additional content instead of a replacement for the raid.

noomi

You know what.. that would be awesome. A horde mode with each round getting harder and harder with stronger enemies would be extremely fun!

Same. And to me, a good arena mode - by which I mean one that has a good set of modifiers and not the same progression every time - has much more re-playability than a raid. They're totally not the same thing and don't scratch the same itches, but my love for Halo's Firefight runs deep and I've been hoping for something like that to hit Destiny. Didn't expect it until Comet, though.
Horde/arena mode would add way more replayability than a raid would IMO, if it's done right.

Yeah, honestly I agree. I'd be more interested in a well made, highly replayable horde mode than a new raid. It sucks that it might be an either/or situation (though I think it might be too early to call that) considering the Raids are the most unique thing Destiny has going for it, but as a weekly activity, a horde mode would be a lot more fun to play over and over.

neoism

well looks like they hurried the next one out wasn't expecting it til late June or July if it comes with a firefight like mode.. I guess I will get them both they really need to put them on sale for a lil bit though.... I havent played in a few months... Have they not patched it again since the auto-rifle nerf?

hydruxo

As much as I'd love to see it, I wouldn't look into the winter setting too much guys. The prologue videos aren't exactly an accurate representation of what will be in the game.

Destiny nomenclature: "activities" are PvE.

Prison of Elders is PvE.

And yeah, I'd love a winter themed area. The Fallen in winter artwork has been my work desktop since it was first revealed well over a year ago. Bungie's art with winter themes are always awesome and Destiny is really missing it.

ok, it was the all-new activity part that indicates this is seperate from raids and is something not previously been available in destiny. that gives me hope. always happy to have more to do. I just hope it doesnt take its place.

Nuszka

Ok so may 19th booked off !!! Hope rest of the group is up for it as well. Now how will i tell it to my wife ? Maybe just send her to a spa day?

Deku Tree

TDB: http://www.destinythegame.com/expansions/expansion-one

Expand your Destiny adventure with a wealth of weapons, armor, and gear earned in new story quests and missions, three new competitive multiplayer arenas, and a new Strike and Raid. Beneath the surface of the Moon, a long-forgotten enemy stirs. Survive the true depths of the Hellmouth, and stop its dark army from invading Earth.

Says "new Raid" in there...

HoW: http://www.destinythegame.com/expansions/expansion-two

Expand your Destiny adventure with a wealth of weapons, armor, and gear to earn in new story missions, three new competitive multiplayer maps, and a new cooperative Strike. Expansion II introduces a new competitive elimination mode in the Crucible and an all-new arena activity – The Prison of Elders. The Reef is open. Join the Awoken and hunt down the Fallen rising against us.

Does not say "new Raid" anywhere in there... Instead an "all-new arena activity"... Be ready for no new Raid Guardians.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

Arena activity? The leak on reddit had a mention of'the arena' and it had strike modifiers attached to it. The flavor text was 'the test begins' I think. Pleaserinoo horde mode. Do us right Bungie. Id give up the raid for this.

So i think this arena wont be a raid sonce the lealed image has strike modifoers...

It would be shocking if the Arena just ends into a Horde mode of Halo's Firefight and get your loot after certain waves or set of 25 waves like warframe

GhaleonEB

Please be a horde mode. shared lives.. etc etc just like ODST firefight.. so much fun.

Thinking this through, there are a few ways to structure it. One would be to have different difficulty levels chose from the start (Level 32 PoE, level 34 PoE, etc.). Another would be to scale it from a certain level, such the final few rounds can't be cleared unless you have accumulated the gear to reach those levels.

I'm kinda hoping it's the latter, but the implementation would have to be good. Start out with level 28 enemies and scale it up slowly to say, 35 or so. Need the new gear to really survive the later rounds, and thus work toward it slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom