• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the arena horde mode thingy is soloable. Or it has matchmaking. Itd be the best thing ever being to go in and just shoot things without worry.

No idea if it's related but they did tweet this earlier in the week:

Of course it's not the weekend anymore but maybe the test was delayed. Deej said he was going to give an announcement for the new patch release date so I'm guessing we don't have the official word yet.

That's why scrota was lagging so bad all weekend.

First PvP since January.

11000597_385270848346341_7323816399507178987_o.jpg

I love the gameplay in this game lol.

It just speaks to me.

shermas

thread going too fast. I was reading about it in the trailer thread.

No new raid might mean no buy for me. I love the game and the grind, but the raids are what it's all about. An arena or survival mode just isn't the same.

A couple new Strikes would be fantastic...

LiK

No new raid might mean no buy for me. I love the game and the grind, but the raids are what it's all about. An arena or survival mode just isn't the same.

A couple new Strikes would be fantastic...

I can't imagine it without a raid. will definitely wait for more announcements.

ocean

Banned
Guys, when Luke came he never said we wouldn't have to re-level our Exotics. He did say they wouldn't repeat their mistakes.

I don't think Exotics will just insta-upgrade. I'm thinking something more along the lines of them retaining unlocked perks but resetting the attack bubbles so you can grind to new attack cap, but there have been no specifics.

I hope the arena horde mode thingy is soloable. Or it has matchmaking. Itd be the best thing ever being to go in and just shoot things without worry.

That's the purpose of every Story mission and Strike. Raids are supposed to be challenging team-based content for people willing to put in the effort of finding teams. This game has an abundance worry-free shooting but a dearth of mindful complexity.

We'll have to sacrifice one fully leveled up exotic to unlock the upgrade for another exotic.

We'll have to dismantle 20 purple engrams in order to upgrade the exotic
That's the purpose of every Story mission and Strike. Raids are supposed to be challenging team-based content for people willing to put in the effort of finding teams. This game has an abundance worry-free shooting but a dearth of mindful complexity.

Nah, strikes and story missions dont really reward you though. If they make a wave based arena where your rewards are tied into how well you do, thatd be loads better

LTWood12

The Arena is a raid ya'll. May be a bit different in format, but it'll be a raid.

Won't it? Luke Smith if you can hear us, give us a hint please...

Deku Tree

Guys, when Luke came he never said we wouldn't have to re-level our Exotics. He did say they wouldn't repeat their mistakes.

I don't think Exotics will just insta-upgrade. I'm thinking something more along the lines of them retaining unlocked perks but resetting the attack bubbles so you can grind to new attack cap, but there have been no specifics.

Yeah and you still gotta pay $7.5K glimmer and an Exotic shard to do it with Xur. And you gotta wait until he offers your upgrade. No thanks. Not doing it for a Horde mode.

phen0m24

If Luke's earlier post is to be believed, we won't have to relevel. Details are still sketchy.

If they had just listened to us:

Just.
Add.
three bubbles.

End of leveling or whatnot. You fill in the last three damage bubbles and be done. Would it be so hard to get to the next attack cap?
Nope. Dishes = done

Skele7on

Banned
I can help Ryck007 online now

Anyone else need to run Crota NM?

Thanks for the run! Sadly nothing to help but hopefully tomorrow will bring better drops!

Also I have it on good authority basically my @thecryptarch links a raid will be in HOW stop panicking they don't want to spill all the beans at once, it'll be via weekly update we get the info and timings...

ocean

Banned
The Arena is a raid ya'll. May be a bit different in format, but it'll be a raid.

Won't it?
Well TDB's redeeming feature was Raid gear. Awesome weapons and new level cap armor. If there's no Raid this Arena would still have to provide that tier of loot drops or the Expansion will feel super stale.

Yeah and you still gotta pay $7.5K glimmer and an Exotic shard to do it with Xur. And you gotta wait until he offers your upgrade. No thanks. Not doing it for a Horde mode.
Well that's fair I guess. I wouldn't mind. When you upgrade with Xûr now you retain your 300 attack rating. If I can take my 331 Hawkmoon or Gjallarhorn to Xûr and have them stay at 331 with their perks but with reset attack bubbles so I can take them higher, I totally would! Glimmer can be a bitch but Shards are easy. It's not like I have anything else to spend Strange Coins on :p

phen0m24

Maybe they chose May 19th as a way to let everyone at Bungie finish Bloodborne. ;)

If it's done release it now

And no more Xur to upgrade. Why not let the (gasp) Gunsmith unlock the bubbles for 100 glimmer.

shermas

Just watched the trailer.... um.... it's butthole. Having an actual release date is the only exciting thing about today.

I feel like Bungie is just trolling all of us with the dialogue and story. And the cutscenes, omg.... the cutscenes.

LTWood12

Well TDB's redeeming feature was Raid gear. Awesome weapons and new level cap armor. If there's no Raid this Arena would still have to provide that tier of loot drops or the Expansion will feel super stale.

Well that's fair I guess. I wouldn't mind. When you upgrade with Xûr now you retain your 300 attack rating. If I can take my 331 Hawkmoon or Gjallarhorn to Xûr and have them stay at 331 with their perks but with reset attack bubbles so I can take them higher, I totally would! Glimmer can be a bitch but Shards are easy. It's not like I have anything else to spend Strange Coins on :p

It's all but confirmed that there's new raid gear from all of the data-mining.

http://planetdestiny.com/house-wolves-content/

Just watched the trailer.... um.... it's butthole. Having an actual release date is the only exciting thing about today.

I feel like Bungie is just trolling all of us with the dialogue and story. And the cutscenes, omg.... the cutscenes.

They spend more money on the cgi trailer than they do the actual content of the expansion.

GhaleonEB

He said they would not negate player effort, which was a reference to resetting exotics.

My preferred solution: you have to pay some *selection of any of the myriad currencies* to upgrade your existing exotics. what happens is the last column of three damage / defense nodes are reset, but the weapon itself is the same. So if new exotics have a damage of 361, your "new" exotic starts at 331 and you just work on clearing those last three nodes to level it up to 361. No full reset, we just have to "earn" the progress up to the new level.

Deku Tree

Yup that's what I think. Your 331 exotic will be bumped up to a 333 exotic and it will keep all of it's perks and you'll have to grind to level it up to 363 or whatever the exact new max attack value is... I have just come to realize that I am no longer interested in doing this for every Destiny "expansion". I don't want to grind glimmer at the GK anymore. Maybe I would do it once a year. Maybe I would do it if the Raid was fantastic... but we don't even know if there is a Raid... And I have 49 upgradable exotics. That's too many to do for this crazy grindy procedure.

BTW, here is LukeSmith's old post from OT16. Don't assume it means anything more than what he said:

No it won't.

Nothing specific to announce at this time, but the mistakes we made with the DLC1 reward economy will not be repeated:

Mistakes like:
  • Vendor gear invalidating the effort of VOG Raiders
  • Upgrading an Exotic reseting its talents

Our philosophy about rewards/loot continue to evolve as we see how players play and react.

We will continue to improve acquisition stories and frequency (My understanding of the perception is that Crota's End drop rates are much improved vs. Vault of Glass: footnote below), lessen the grind and get players to the fun parts of their arsenal faster.

On CE drop rates vs. VOG:
The Forever 29 meme was a killer for us.

We sat down and talked about the rewards for VoG and the rates vs. CE and ended up with the following:
  • increase drop rates globally in CE: we wanted dedicated players to be around 32 or real close by the time Hard mode came out.
  • increase the variability of perks that a given piece can roll.
    the goal here: players would reach 32 easier than 30, but would have more customization and options to build the perfect set (in terms of stats, perks, weapon affinities)
The part where this didn't work as well as we'd hoped is with the Shard economy. Shards are a are a barrier between you and equipping a sweet new piece of gear.

We want fewer barriers to equipping upgrades. The shard economies erect these barriers between players and the new piece of gear they just got.

We're not intending to adjust the shard economy for this Tier -- we don't want to invalidate player effort (again). But removing the barrier between that new drop you're excited to get and actually being able to equip it as a member of your arsenal are something we will do going forward.

a raid will be in HOW stop panicking

A Raid in addition to whatever the "arena activity" is, or are they one and the same? It's still going to depend on the content itself, e.g. they could call a horde mode a raid but that wouldn't make it one.

It's all speculation right now except for the fact that their official HoW press release did not include the word Raid while the TDB one did.

BTW, here is LukeSmith's old post from OT16. Don't assume it means anything more than what he said:

Resetting its talents is the key phrase for sure. They read this OT as well as Reddit and B.net and understood that this issue was the most critical mistake of the exotic resets.

edit: I Beliiiieevvee I Caaannn Flllyyyy.... wait, how did I get up here?

Page Top = So High!
CCeY8EvVEAAgOqZ.jpg:large

Deku Tree

Ok here are the concrete things Luke Smith said in his post:

1) Vendor gear in the new Tier should not invalidate raiders efforts. (So no higher level than CE armor in the tower on when HoW drops.)

2) Upgrading an Exotic should not reset its talents (notice no complaint about upgrading exotics as a principle)

3) Drop rates in CE are good, and drop rates in VoG were bad.

4) The shard economy causes a barrier between you and equipping your gear, and they want to lessen the grind and change or remove the shard economy. They want you to be able to equip your new gear faster.

That's all that I see that Luke Smith said about HoW leveling in a concrete way.

but it won't...
Well there's a reason for that....
Bungie has made some bone-headed decisions about Destiny, sure.

But I highly doubt they would fuck up that badly this far into Destiny's lifespan. Remember, this is an expansion that was delayed for 2+ months after what they originally planned for, according to the datamining. They wanted to make it beefier than TDB, not more hollow.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I can't believe people are flipping their shit over something being called Arena instead of Raid. It's a PvE activity that is different than story missions or strikes. That's all that matters.

I'd love for the arena to lock guardian gear in each slot for the event. It'd be a fun way to test build survivability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom