• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuMa

I can't believe people are flipping their shit over something being called Arena instead of Raid. It's a PvE activity that is different than story missions or strikes. That's all that matters.

I'd love for the arena to lock guardian gear in each slot for the event. It'd be a fun way to test build survivability.

Yeah, agreed. There's definitely still going to be a new raid.

phen0m24

I can't believe people are flipping their caca over something being called Arena instead of Raid. It's a PvE activity that is different than story missions or strikes. That's all that matters.

I'd love for the arena to lock guardian gear in each slot for the event. It'd be a fun way to test build survivability.

You two posting on the same page. Color me confused again

hydruxo

Deej already confirmed today that Luke's forum post a while back is still their direction going forward in regards to exotic upgrades, so it's just a matter of them revealing what that actually entails. It seems pretty obvious we won't have to relevel our exotics, considering the outrage last time around. All they really have to do is add some extra upgrade bubbles.

Lnkn52

Did someone say Raid?

807701.gif

I can't believe people are flipping their shit over something being called Arena instead of Raid. It's a PvE activity that is different than story missions or strikes. That's all that matters.

Uhhhh It's kind of a big deal since those would be two completely different styles of activities. I say that as someone who would kind of prefer a horde mode.

noomi

People on the gaming side are saying that it sounds like Arena Activity is going to be a boss rush mode modeled after World of Warcraft patch 3.2 trailer - Call of the Crusade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsVVTXRTstk

That's what I had thought a while back when I learned it was called "The Arena". Honestly, I wouldn't mind it all that much especially if they made the bosses challenging and fun to battle.

Either way, anything at this point is pure speculation. We could be completely on point or way off. I'd like to think that Bungie have a few tricks up their sleeves yet...and I for one will gladly welcome any new content, raid or not :)

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Uhhhh It's kind of a big deal since those would be two completely different styles of activities. I say that as someone who would kind of prefer a horde mode.

I just hope they stop it with the relic stuff. I want to use all of the gear I've spent hours collecting and leveling not some random object that is only relevant to create a puzzle of some sort.

huh.. the arena is clearly the raid .. or at least taking its place

unless its so hidden that datarminers couldn't find it

i would be more excited for the arena if it wasn't in place of a raid though

People on the gaming side are saying that it sounds like Arena Activity is going to be a boss rush mode modeled after World of Warcraft patch 3.2 trailer - Call of the Crusade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsVVTXRTstk

You asked about it before Deku, but the raid in WoW is fantastic. Its not a boss rush mode as the bosses were new, and I believe that after the 2nd to last boss the floor of the arena would collapse and then youd jump down and fight the real big bad of the raid. It was great!

someday

Banned
I guess I'm just going to wait and see about this raid vs horde stuff. A horde mode sounds great, but I have to say I am more excited about a Fallen themed raid ala VoG or even Crota. Ideally we would be getting both.

I suppose if they don't create an all new raid then upping the difficulty and rewards from VoG and Crota could be a placeholder until Comet. Like, still keep the level 26 Vault but add a level 32/34 one with updated armor and guns.

Matchew

I know no new raid for some will be disappointing, but coming from someone who only has one other friend to play with and getting groups to do a raid together and mostly getting some bad groups, the raids mostly for me are huge headaches. Hopefully the new arena mode will be more fun and easier to get a good group together.

LTWood12

I know no new raid for some will be disappointing, but coming from someone who only has one other friend to play with and getting groups to do a raid together and mostly getting some bad groups, the raids mostly for me are huge headaches. Hopefully the new arena mode will be more fun and easier to get a good group together.

I think there are a lot of people like you in the community, and Activision PR is responding to this by not using the word "raid."

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So is this arena like Moxxy's thunderdome?

I'm fine with no raid on day one, but I wouldn't be fine with no raids at all. Not having it day one just means people can work on getting and leveling up new gear.

PuMa

huh.. the arena is clearly the raid .. or at least taking its place

unless its so hidden that datarminers couldn't find it

i would be more excited for the arena if it wasn't in place of a raid though

I'm not convinced. They clearly advertised a new raid when people bought the expansions, so I'm thinking there will still be one.

Totally agree with this. Hopefully they looked at the numbers of the community who actually played the Raids and realized they need a more matchmaking-friendly option to get the sickest loot.

It's a PvE activity that is different than story missions or strikes. That's all that matters..

Not all differences are created equal. To give a stupidly exaggerated example, a fishing simulator against AI fish enemies would be different. More reasonable examples would be bounties and patrol missions.

Increased complexity, communication, and teamwork are the specific ways raids are supposed to be different. That's what a raid is and why it doesn't have MM.

To quote Luke Smith's raid design philosophy (emphasis mine):

The pillars of raids were things like "cooperation required," "voice required."

It's about a sense of discovery, whether it's discovering a new environment or discovering how to tackle the problems that you're about to encounter with your teammates.

We were trying to build something that would bring a group together, teach the group, and then test the group

The raid is a lot like a ropes course. It's us teaching you how to be a group.

GutZ31

I'm not convinced. They clearly advertised a new raid when people bought the expansions, so I'm thinking there will still be one.

I always hoped the raid would be "The Prison of Elders" on the reef, but I am pretty convinced that The Arena is the new raid.

Just over a month until my trusty 300 Fatebringer is rendered useless.

So long, old friend :(

YOU CANT MAKE ME NOT USE IT!!!

I am curious how they are going to use the Arena to drive weekly reset play. I suppose you only get drops once per week? Maybe a drop every X number of waves etc? Curious what the ultimate goal or endgame would be for this.

I am curious how they are going to use the Arena to drive weekly reset play. I suppose you only get drops once per week? Maybe a drop every X number of waves etc? Curious what the ultimate goal or endgame would be for this.

if its where we get the new raid gear and exotic drop chances they would have to limit it

otherwise people would get everything in the first week

I want to play Crota soon with the sword. I can totally see myself accidentally holding R2 to get a Visceral attack in

edit:

I sincerely hope you're right but they also delayed HM CE one month. The only two things they added there were jack and shit.

omg, you literally have me dying of laughter at work hahahaha

Deku Tree

Seems like a lot of posters have left Destiny are are not returning. This topic got a good boost today with HoW info but the amount of posts seems pathetically small compared to the amount of posts we were getting around the time when TDB was announced.

LTWood12

Looking at this cynically, a great way to get people to talk about your game is to be obtuse about something people are looking forward to. The fact that no raid is explicitly mentioned is going to drive more traffic, and generate more tweets than HoW otherwise would have.

GutZ31

Looking at this cynically, a great way to get people to talk about your game is to be obtuse about something people are looking forward to. The fact that no raid is explicitly mentioned is going to drive more traffic, and generate more tweets than HoW otherwise would have.

No logic allowed, please go back to the fun zone where you came.

Seems like a lot of posters have left Destiny are are not returning. This topic got a good boost today with HoW info but the amount of posts seems pathetically small compared to the amount of posts we were getting around the time when TDB was announced.

My friends are kinda disappointed about Crota's raid and the story missions, I think I will be alone in HotW this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom