• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never played nor had much interest in any of the Witcher games, but the 3rd one has peaked my interest. I think I'm too susceptible to hype these days :p Same thing happened with Bloodborne... I didn't really haveany interest and then BOOM hype got to me!

Time to re-think that Apple Watch :p

I've never played nor had much interest in any of the Witcher games, but the 3rd one has peaked my interest. I think I'm too susceptible to hype these days :p Same thing happened with Bloodborne... I didn't really haveany interest and then BOOM hype got to me!

was the same with me

bloodborin' turned into a buyers remorse though so I'm skeptical about witcher

105770-Frozen-Anna-gif-Im-gonna-tell-khpj.gif

Size doesnt matter!

LTWood12

Say it ain't so Chowder! Well hit me up when you come back to the fray. I'd love to help my OG Sherpa get to max level.

2x fun run Crota HM Kills this evening. I'll practice sword skills for a bit and then if I'm a complete failure Boguester will redeem me.

LTWood12
DrDrizzay
Ichibod
HidingMyThunder
Macello
T-44

I'll shoot out chat invites around 8:15-8:30 CDT.

Send me an invite if you guys need help.

I might be up for some VoG shenanigans too if ya'll are up for it. A normal and hard run from the Gorgons. I'm still chasing the ol' Corrective Measure.

GutZ31

I might be up for some VoG shenanigans too if ya'll are up for it. A normal and hard run from the Gorgons. I'm still chasing the ol' Corrective Measure.

Normal mode VoG is your best bet at corrective measure.

As for my willingness to be involved; Yes, I would be willing to do normal VoG a few times if needed.

A smaller percentage of time in the game is spent on PvP than raiding so maybe Bungie should lighten up on all the PvP activities too right? And try something different for non-PvP players maybe.

Not saying it is right, just trying to rationalize their thought process here. It is an odd ommission that bucks precedance. Maybe they figure it is a 1:1 substitute since it is a new PvE activity despite being different in scope.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

It's a very mature game. Rapes, politics, racism, sex, love triangles, all the works, etc. Everything about the game is top notch. It's thanks to GAF that I started playing Witcher. I think if it were on consoles from the beginning it would be even more popular. That being said I think Western RPGs are much better than JRPGs these days. FFXIII actually got me to quit gaming for a while because of how bad it is.

GutZ31

It's a very mature game. Rapes, politics, racism, sex, love triangles, all the works, etc. Everything about the game is top notch. It's thanks to GAF that I started playing Witcher. I think if it were on consoles from the beginning it would be even more popular. That being said I think Western RPGs are much better than JRPGs these days. FFXIII actually got me to quit gaming for a while because of how bad it is.

FFXIII is the worst offender of JRPG failure.
There have been some great JRPG's that have come out since then, and I was totally turned off by FFXIII as well. Made me miss some great games.

ich00

Say it ain't so Chowder! Well hit me up when you come back to the fray. I'd love to help my OG Sherpa get to max level.

2x fun run Crota HM Kills this evening. I'll practice sword skills for a bit and then if I'm a complete failure Boguester will redeem me.

LTWood12
DrDrizzay
Ichibod
HidingMyThunder
Macello
T-44

I'll shoot out chat invites around 8:15-8:30 CDT.

yup I should be good to go, was gonna do sword school, but I can do that another time maybe, rather have my shot at the last exotic I need for the pokedex.

Restarting Witcher 1 for sure this week. I only got in about an hour or 2 on it way back when but wasn't heavily into it. Hopefully I give it more time and it becomes fun!

Edit: And Bloodborne is fantastic. A few frustrating bosses but the challenge makes it so fun.

hydruxo

What? The Witcher is actually a very popular series of novels/movies in Europe or something. It didn't start off as video games. But I hear the movies are really bad. The acting is so bad it's funny. Like Turkish Star Wars funny.

Oh I know it didn't start off as video games, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. I love the Witcher series but in comparison to Batman in terms of popularity? It's not even close.

Witcher 3 won't affect sales of HoW much, it's gonna be all about how Bungie markets it and fixes the mistakes of TDB.

Does anyone have Gorgon Hard checkpoint? Completely missed getting it this week

Yeah, let me know when you're online and I'll hop on to share it.

Witcher 1 and 2 are fantastic games. What makes them great is not just the content and gameplay, but the dedication of the developer that listens to fans and community, and delivers what it had promised.

Of all remasters this gen, all I want is a Witcher 1 and 2 remaster on next gen consoles.

Both are totally different games.

It's like comparing Demon's Souls with Skyrim. You can't.

As someone who's never played Witcher, I'm mainly curious about the combat. Is it more like Souls or Skyrim? i.e. is it good or bad? I'm hoping for a deep, skill based action style rather than just spam stupid spells or w/e. Also, how much required blah-blah-dialogue scenes are there? Not into the whole Dragon Age listen to an audio book "gameplay" either.

If it's mostly riding around the wilderness hacking and slashing crazy monsters in crazy environments then I'll definitely climb aboard the hype train.

yup I should be good to go, was gonna do sword school, but I can do that another time maybe, rather have my shot at the last exotic I need for the pokedex.

I'm happy to do as much HM Sword School as the group is willing to tolerate in terms of wiping. Anyone with a Lv32 Hunter can definitely slice him up once you get the basics down.

edit: daaamnn I thought the thread was super speed again....

As someone who's never played Witcher, I'm mainly curious about the combat. Is it more like Souls or Skyrim? i.e. is it good or bad? I'm hoping for a deep, skill based action style rather than just spam stupid spells or w/e. Also, how much required blah-blah-dialogue scenes are there? Not into the whole Dragon Age listen to an audio book "gameplay" either.

If it's mostly riding around the wilderness hacking and slashing crazy monsters in crazy environments then I'll definitely climb aboard the hype train.

More skill based than Skyrim, less than Souls. You can have fun and the learning curve isn't as hard or punishing as souls, but deeper than most WRPGs. Story, characters, locations, etc are top notch.

It's definitely the later but also so much more. Think of it as a hybrid of Skyrim, Mass Effect and KOTOR.

One of the best combat systems in a souls games...boring?

lolwut.

The game may not be for you, but it's very far from boring.

yeah it wasn't for me i guess.. i'm not a big gamer these days admittedly

destiny just happened to hook me like no game has in years

More skill based than Skyrim, less than Souls. You can have fun and the learning curve isn't as hard or punishing as souls, but deeper than most WRPGs. Story, characters, locations, etc are top notch.

It's definitely the later but also so much more. Think of it as a hybrid of Skyrim, Mass Effect and KOTOR.

Cool, definitely sounds promising. HoW will keep me busy for a while until I can read enough reviews and hear Gaffer impressions to decide if it's worth a purchase. Thanks for the info!

someday

Banned

That sounds intriguing. I haven't played the first two though. Is this something a new person could jump right into or will I be missing out on too much lore to enjoy it?

Cool, definitely sounds promising. HoW will keep me busy for a while until I can read enough reviews and hear Gaffer impressions to decide if it's worth a purchase. Thanks for the info!

Anytime. This game will not disappoint.

That sounds intriguing. I haven't played the first two though. Is this something a new person could jump right into or will I be missing out on too much lore to enjoy it?

First two are PC only (Witcher 2 is on 360 as well I think).

Witcher 1 had a lot of bugs that were fixed in later patches, so it's worth checking out if you have the time, but not required imo.

Witcher 2 is quite brilliant but requires a beefy PC to run nicely, so if you have specs, surely give it a go. You can use controller with PC version so it's very easy to get into.

As someone who's never played Witcher, I'm mainly curious about the combat. Is it more like Souls or Skyrim? i.e. is it good or bad?

Closer to Souls than Skyrim - the combat doesn't completely suck like it does in Skyrim, and it generally feels very good.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Oh I know it didn't start off as video games, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. I love the Witcher series but in comparison to Batman in terms of popularity? It's not even close.

Witcher 3 won't affect sales of HoW much, it's gonna be all about how Bungie markets it and fixes the mistakes of TDB.

Well I think anybody would be crazy to think Witcher as an IP is more popular than Batman. I just think many people are burned out on the same Batman formula Rocksteady started. The Witcher is a very unique experience. Batman will probably sell more on consoles but I don't think it will sell as much as Witcher on PC. Like I said it's going to be that one game to show off to people on how detailed and great the world is. I'm sure most of the gaming populace won't be able to even run the game at it's best. I think the Ultra settings needs a GPU with 8GBs of ram or something. And only a few GPUs fit that description and all costs over a grand.

You know you only liked them for the sex scenes Death.

yeah it wasn't for me i guess.. i'm not a big gamer these days admittedly

destiny just happened to hook me like no game has in years

It's still fair to say you personally found it boring, while acknowledging that other people enjoy it. Goodness knows those long loading screens are boring. For me, I understand why people love Persona 4 but I find it boring myself.

Souls games are not friendly to newcomers and the initial learning curve is very steep. Having an experienced friend who can tell you just enough to get you over the hump without spoiling the game makes all the difference.

I wonder how many people who have TDB got it from the special editions that added on the season pass? I know I'm not paying for HoW because I got the digital edition and I'm glad I did.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
whoa why has this thread advanced so much.

edit: oh wow. that trailer kind of kicked a bit of ass. weird possibility of no raid though, that's shocking.

Closer to Souls than Skyrim - the combat doesn't completely suck like it does in Skyrim, and it generally feels very good.

I wouldn't say the combat sucked in Skyrim. It was quite enjoyable and the power you get by leveling up and destroying dragons and giants with one hit was most satisfying. That said, the combat cold get stale it you keep on playing in the same fashion. If you invest in different skills and have a varied arsenal of weapons, the combat can never bore you.

rNilla

https://www.bungie.net/7_Gearing-Up-for-House-of-Wolves/en/News/News?aid=12764

House of Wolves Calendar of Events

Wednesday, April 22nd
Walking tour of the The Reef, with a live discussion about the upgrade paths for your gear.

Wednesday, April 29th
Reveal and live gameplay of Trials of Osiris and its collection of end game gear.

Wednesday, May 6th
Reveal and live gameplay of Prison of Elders, a brand new three-player cooperative multiplayer arena.

Friday, May 8th
Stay tuned!

Thank you for your time and attention, and thanks for playing.

LIMA
House of Wolves will not have a Raid activity.

someday

Banned
Anytime. This game will not disappoint.

First two are PC only (Witcher 2 is on 360 as well I think).

Witcher 1 had a lot of bugs that were fixed in later patches, so it's worth checking out if you have the time, but not required imo.

Witcher 2 is quite brilliant but requires a beefy PC to run nicely, so if you have specs, surely give it a go. You can use controller with PC version so it's very easy to get into.
Thanks. I don't have a decent PC for gaming but I'll start checking out more info on Witcher 3 now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's wild. I never would have expected any release to come without a raid. I'll reserve judgment for details on the arena though I guess. They say "we are creating a new Raid for a release later this year," which is ominous, we didn't even know the slightest about their plans following this release.
FATEBRINGER UPGRADE?!

upgrade.jpg
Dunno how else to interpret that image.

lol yeah bolded was my concern. I'm huge into "game feel," big part of why I love Destiny. Games like Meat Boy and Spelunky are so physically pleasurable to play while Silent Hill 2 makes me feel like I had a stroke (which works well given its context).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom