• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I'm on the "Pro-Arena" side, I will say this: It is a HUGE mistake to hold off detailing it until May 8th. Because it's replacing the Raid, they need to get out ahead and explain to people why it's an even trade. I'm hoping we get some decent details before that date.

gives a whole new meaning to 'shoot first, ask questions later'

Lnkn52

MsSDbGd.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxlcpTagrAw

I trusted you Bungie.
Respect sir, respect.

Deku Tree

Destiny is changing to take a more casual focus in the future starting with HoW IMO. Bungie wants to sell more games and the Hardcore Raids are not appealing to the majority of the CoD crowd IMO. I expect more of these types of changes going forward.

The Arena was a six player raid (according to datamining) and it was changed to three player because Bungie wants it to include MM and they couldn't implement good six player MM in time for HoW release window IMO.

Ghazi

Destiny is changing to take a more casual focus in the future starting with HoW IMO. Bungie wants to sell more games and the Hardcore Raids are not appealing to the majority of the CoD crowd IMO. I expect more of these types of changes going forward.

The Arena was a six player raid (according to datamining) and it was changed to three player because Bungie wants it to include MM and they couldn't implement good six player MM in time for HoW release window IMO.
Complete speculation, don't let your tinfoil hats take you very far plz.

Zoidberg

Saw the no raid thread on reddit and thought it was a joke thread....I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but there really needs to be more than the arena, a strike and 3 story missions. Bungie :(

Also, they really need to tell us outright what is coming, I just looked at their website and they are teasing bits every week until release? What the fuck is that, this thing has already been delayed.

they're still making 6 player raids though. maybe they thought they were on the right track with HoW's raid and then saw how Crota flopped, so they threw it back into the oven. This arena mode may very well be repurposed, but it's not replacing the Raids.

GhaleonEB

As much as I'm on the "Pro-Arena" side, I will say this: It is a HUGE mistake to hold off detailing it until May 8th. Because it's replacing the Raid, they need to get out ahead and explain to people why it's an even trade. I'm hoping we get some decent details before that date.

I do think they should detail it sooner than later, but it's not an even trade and I think they know it. A raid and an arena mode are almost as different as a set of PvP maps is to a strike. They scratch totally different gaming itches and the audience wanting one is not necessarily the audience wanting the other, though there will be a healthy overlap.

Knowing Prison of Elders is in the mix doesn't soften the blow of missing a raid one bit for a lot of people and I think it would be a mistake for Bungie to try and frame it as such.

Saw the no raid thread on reddit and thought it was a joke thread....I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but there really needs to be more than the arena, a strike and 3 story missions. Bungie :(

Also, they really need to tell us outright what is coming, I just looked at their website and they are teasing bits every week until release? What the fuck is that, this thing has already been delayed.

An arena, a strike, three new Crucible maps, a new crucible game mode, new gear, another social space, new story missions, probably the return of a PvE event and apparently a lot of new gear (though I'm keeping myself semi-blind to the leaks). It's a decent hunk of stuff, even without a raid. Details matter, of course.

ocean

Banned

To be fair even in the earliest datamined info it's been called "The Arena" and there was already indication of being a 3-man activity. There was also a 6-man version but with all of that info being placeholder you know there will be inconsistencies.

I personally don't think this is a good idea and I don't like it. But I certainly don't think there's anything that suggests they've changed plans last minute. And I honestly doubt matchmaking of all things would be a complication. 6-man matchmaking already happens for Crucible and I highly doubt it's technically demanding to pull off.

Welp, I'm done with Destiny for the time being. Confirmed no raid and a shitty horde mode to take its place. What a complete disaster for Bungie. Are they this antagonistic to its fan base for a reason?

I heard from two DGAF frequenters that a raid was guaranteed. What's your opinion now?

It isn't an even trade. We all know it. All hope is lost.

I'm staying positive on this one lol. I'm hoping we get something more than just a straight up horde mode or firefight copy. Like I said earlier though, regardless of how good it ends up being, I'll be disappointed if there isn't a 6-player co-op version.

Deku Tree

I think they'll have a VoG extreme mode that drops 365 attack weapons and maybe higher light armor. Hopefully they improve the drop rates. It would be silly to have an upgrade path for old raid weapons without also allowing the higher level weapons to drop.

Glad to know that we can upgrade Legendaries. Also glad that they didn't let us know, cause you know, alotta people would've sharded old legendaries.

I really wish they wouldn't update the old gear for 2 reasons.

1. Bungie is continuing to rehash old content because they apparently blew their creative wad on the first round of stuff in this game.
2. Bungie devs get to use upgrading old stuff as an excuse to not release new stuff.

I don't think this will sink the Destiny boat, but I really think the player base may fall off. On the flip side, if the Arena event is a fun event with MM, I bet you see play time tick up across the board as you will now be involving a previously excluded set of people who didn't have the friends to play/didn't know about Destinylfg. Also, if they do include MM for the Arena event they should go ahead and do it for the NF too. There would be no reason not to at that point, and saying that MM for NFs wouldn't work because of the kick to orbit on loss is stupid....just remove the KTO event on loss and restart the level. Who wants to sit through a loading screen to just start over anyway?

GhaleonEB

I think they'll have a VoG extreme mode that drops 365 attack weapons and maybe higher light armor. Hopefully they improve the drop rates. It would be silly to have an upgrade path for old raid weapons without also allowing the higher level weapons to drop.

I wonder how they're going to juggle the two expansions. Someone going from the base game straight to House of Wolves won't have much of an incentive to also pick up The Dark Below, at least not from a level / loot standpoint, if they can vault straight from 30 to 34 in it. How do other MMO's handle this kind of thing?

Defyler

This is exactly it.

I concur. The statement was no new raid. so perhaps there will be a buffed VoG/CE... *shrug*

Namikaze1

Goddamit! Every time I read over my post, I'm hearing his voice!

If Destiny 2 doesn't have the Queen's brother as a boss then I ain't buying it!

I really wish they wouldn't update the old gear for 2 reasons.

1. Bungie is continuing to rehash old content because they apparently blew their creative wad on the first round of stuff in this game.
2. Bungie devs get to use upgrading old stuff as an excuse to not release new stuff.

I don't think this will sink the Destiny boat, but I really think the player base may fall off. On the flip side, if the Arena event is a fun event with MM, I bet you see play time tick up across the board as you will now be involving a previously excluded set of people who didn't have the friends to play/didn't know about Destinylfg. Also, if they do include MM for the Arena event they should go ahead and do it for the NF too. There would be no reason not to at that point, and saying that MM for NFs wouldn't work because of the kick to orbit on loss is stupid....just remove the KTO event on loss and restart the level. Who wants to sit through a loading screen to just start over anyway?

there's a full new set of "raid" weapons and vendor gears according to the datamine so its not like upgrading weapons will be in liue of new stuff

i do agree that bungie shot their creative wad with some of the weapons and gear though

there's a full new set of "raid" weapons and vendor gears according to the datamine so its not like upgrading weapons will be in liue of new stuff

i do agree that bungie shot their creative wad with some of the weapons and gear though

more like they're afraid to make new stuff good.

border

I wonder how they're going to juggle the two expansions. Someone going from the base game straight to House of Wolves won't have much of an incentive to also pick up The Dark Below, at least not from a level / loot standpoint, if they can vault straight from 30 to 34 in it. How do other MMO's handle this kind of thing?

At some point all the expansions will have to be free for anyone that purchases a new copy of Destiny.

Blizzard started giving away expansions to lapsed WoW players as well.

Namikaze1

I just want Bungie to do another Queen's Wrath-like PvE event. I'm not a fan of PvP.

I think we should wait until we have real arena info. Then we let fig loose on an unsuspecting world.
The world isn't ready for that. I don't think I'm ready for that. I'm scared.

Zoidberg

Upgrading existing legendaries is nice and all, but it just allows them to be lazy and say that's new content. We should be using new guns and armor, not old ones. Yes fatebringer is a good gun, but do you all still want to be using it 6 months from now? Doesn't it get boring using the same weapons all the time? If we upgrade weapons now, there's no reason that won't continue into the comet, and it will end up with people using the same weapons for the entirety of Destiny 1.

Fatebringer, Black Hammer and Gally - there's everyone's new gun setup for the next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom