• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how they're going to juggle the two expansions. Someone going from the base game straight to House of Wolves won't have much of an incentive to also pick up The Dark Below, at least not from a level / loot standpoint, if they can vault straight from 30 to 34 in it. How do other MMO's handle this kind of thing?

Well, in WoW the only reason you'd wanted to do old raids now a days is for transmogrification/the experience. However, Destiny is apparently having the loot level up..whether it'll be a super hard mode of VoG/CE is yet to be seen...if it is, then that is good. It doesn't invalidate the past content. If it's not...then those who saved their old gear have an advantage over those who say, didn't skip Dark Below if they can level up their VoG gear to HoW levels.

We dunno how they're handling it thouh.

CLBridges

Maybe all those commendations I have saved will be used in upgrading old legendary weapons. Maybe Bungie will introduce yet another "currency" (You know they will).

Some of the best gaming times I've ever had was Mass Effect 3 MP horde mode. But, that was because their were so many different classes/powers/guns/mods etc.

If The Arena is horde mode, I hope Bungie has some creative plans to keep it fresh. Their are only so many modifiers to play around with, but I'm optimistic at this point and will wait for more info.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
MsSDbGd.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxlcpTagrAw

I trusted you Bungie.
unnecessary

if i find a weapon i like, i want to keep using it. if i grow tired of it and find a weapon i like better than it, i'll use that instead.

whether it's "laziness" or whatever we want to call it, i'm glad Bungie is letting players upgrade old weapons. I don't see why i should be made to use weapons from expansions just because they're "new". if TDB is anything to go by, the new stuff is unlikely to be better than the old stuff.

McArkus

These news of the new expansion don't affect me, don't have the season pass and not planning to get it, but is nice to see that trials of osiris and new updates to old gear is on their way. I feel like is better to wait for the comet for a real change in mission's structures, raid mechanics and improved content, but this wait will be a long one.

Well, I'll stick to my plan to do trials of osiris with my warlock, iron banner with my titan and queen's wrath missions with my hunter (whenever that is) an go back to hunt that fatebringer.

Ghazi

The other day I realized that non TDB buying people could still get to 32, so all things considered, non TDB people got it pretty lucky. They could do almost everything TDB people could.

Being locked off from weeklies blows, though.

E92 M3

The other day I realized that non TDB buying people could still get to 32, so all things considered, non TDB people got it pretty lucky. They could do almost everything TDB people could.

Being locked off from weeklies blows, though.

But they need TDB for the Black Hammer - one of the best weapons in the game.

Karl2177

I think they'll have a VoG extreme mode that drops 365 attack weapons and maybe higher light armor. Hopefully they improve the drop rates. It would be silly to have an upgrade path for old raid weapons without also allowing the higher level weapons to drop.

Maybe further on down with Comet or right before Destiny 2 launches, but I can say with 99% certainty that a VoG Director's Cut isn't coming out with HoW.

Exactly the problem. They seem to think this will give us variety in weapon loadout. In reality it allows us to keep the same great weapons for the rest of Destiny 1 at least.

That's the issue with the gear/weapon design in this game. It's too easy to invalidate gear with certain weapons. Gjallahorn, Fatebringer, Blackhammer....meanwhile let's make an exotic sniper rifle that goes into your primary, that'll be worth it!

Nah, they're handling it wrong TBH.

todd360

unnecessary

It was very necessary Hawkian. I value my honor. Just like Ned Stark.

haha bruh...why. Haha I don't get you guys actually living up to your "bets" with people online. You don't have to actually do it.

Yeah, I could have easily gotten away without doing it. No one was forcing me. Bets lose their meaning when you don't take them seriously though. I made what I thought to be a safe bet and paid the price for it. I won't put my faith in Bungie again.

Anyways its no big deal. RNGesus will surely deliver....

if i find a weapon i like, i want to keep using it. if i grow tired of it and find a weapon i like better than it, i'll use that instead.

whether it's "laziness" or whatever we want to call it, i'm glad Bungie is letting players upgrade old weapons. I don't see why i should be made to use weapons from expansions just because they're "new". if TDB is anything to go by, the new stuff is unlikely to be better than the old stuff.

This is part of the problem. They need to make new items that you want. If they can't make anything new that is better than the vanilla destiny stuff, then Bungie has a problem and needs to throw in the towel. Or they need to hire devs that know how to design and build an MMO environment.

Zoidberg

If The Arena is horde mode, I hope Bungie has some creative plans to keep it fresh. Their are only so many modifiers to play around with, but I'm optimistic at this point and will wait for more info.

The arena has a lot of potential if they do it right. They could have a rotation of different bosses each week, dynamic waves and spawn points, different modifiers. If it's all static shit and the same mobs/bosses each week they will be struggling to keep people entertained.

This is part of the problem. They need to make new items that you want. If they can't make anything new that is better than the vanilla destiny stuff, then Bungie has a problem and needs to throw in the towel. Or they need to hire devs that know how to design and build an MMO environment.

that is absolutely part of the problem, but these expansions are on a different time cycle than most MMOs. I don't expect everyone to be using the same weapons next year and certainly not in Destiny 2, but the game's not even a year old. Let people enjoy their Fatebringers that they're probably just now picking up after grinding Templar. It'd have been unwise for Bungie to ignore the content they already have in the game.

Namikaze1

What was the bet?
3 of us made a bet that if there's no raid, Todd would dismantle his Praxic Fire, Lima would dismantle all three of his Gjallarhorns, and I would use the Queen's douchy brother as my avatar for the next 3 months. We all lost and so far, only Todd and I delivered on our bets.

todd360

What was the bet?

Lima bet 3 Ghorns on there being a raid in HoW. No one actually expected them to reveal no raid today lol. So I bet my Praxic Fire as well to support Lima's bet. I was confident that Bungie wouldn't release an expansion without a raid and I was dead wrong.

Deku Tree

So I think I might be done.

This is the continued focus on PvP I feared and was made apparent with the lack of PvE events.

Multiplayer arena? Trials of Osiris as a focus

Fuck. This is the worst thing I could have feared.

I don't like Crucible or the PvP aspect. And the fact a lot of new gear is exclusive to it will suck. A lot.

I'll wait and see. But I might continue my vacation until comet.

Yeah I'm dissapointed by the PvP focus too. If it's like in the datamining and they really lock some good exotics like Fate of All fools behind being a god like player in some crazy extreme PvP mode then that's a major bummer for me.

Karl2177

How can you be so certain?

Just on the amount of content that TDB launched with. TDB launched with 4 story missions, 1 (technically 2) strikes, 1 raid, and 3 mp maps. All of which had content pipelines established. This is probably going to launch with the same number of non-raid activities. The added 2 months would include establishing content pipelines for the Reef, Arena, and Osiris(although most of the Reef already existed, it was more than likely still in a form from when it was cut).

I'm still wondering what the actual purpose of the reef social space will be

it can't just be for bounties.. right?

maybe where we get the trials of osiris gear.. IDK

ocean

Banned
It's been 20 pages since the video came out. I can't imagine even the devs have had this much discussion over what's been announced :p

hydruxo

It was very necessary Hawkian. I value my honor. Just like Ned Stark.

Yeah, I could have easily gotten away without doing it. No one was forcing me. Bets lose their meaning when you don't take them seriously though. I made what I thought to be a safe bet and paid the price for it. I won't put my faith in Bungie again.

Anyways its no big deal. RNGesus will surely deliver....

I respect that, I just remember seeing how bad you wanted that Praxic Fire on here for months and months so I hate to see that lol.

Deku Tree

they're still making 6 player raids though. maybe they thought they were on the right track with HoW's raid and then saw how Crota flopped, so they threw it back into the oven. This arena mode may very well be repurposed, but it's not replacing the Raids.

Yeah maybe the HoW Raid stunk. Wouldn't surprise me. Maybe HoW was delayed from March until now to add the "new Arena activity".

To be fair even in the earliest datamined info it's been called "The Arena" and there was already indication of being a 3-man activity. There was also a 6-man version but with all of that info being placeholder you know there will be inconsistencies.

I personally don't think this is a good idea and I don't like it. But I certainly don't think there's anything that suggests they've changed plans last minute. And I honestly doubt matchmaking of all things would be a complication. 6-man matchmaking already happens for Crucible and I highly doubt it's technically demanding to pull off.

The three man arena mode was only added to the data mine recently. It didn't exist before the very recent patches. Before that it was only six man mode on DestinyDB.

I'm saying that MM works better in a three player activity, and it's still fun. I'm not saying that MM is technically hard to program for six players. It is harder to make MM be fun in a six player activity that is very hard to complete without cooperation and coordination and voice chat.

I'm around lvl 85 or so. Farming echoes isn't a big issue though so I could get higher. Haven't done any Co-op or PvP in BB yet. I'd be game to try it out.

Nice! We can definitely chalice then. You can play with up to 103 and I can play with down to 80 so we're good! What depth did you end up at?

Edit Top of Page Hype

ARM3bGb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom