• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Exactly. I don't get why people are excited about a horde mode?

Firefight in ODST and in particular Reach gave me some of my most memorable tales of survival under extreme odds I've had in any game. Destiny's netcode is light years better than both, and the core gameplay is better, IMO. Those moments in Nightfalls and Raids when you are the last Guardian standing, and come through crazy odds or hard situations to pull the team back from the brink, are the kind of moments I live for. A good survival mode would offer both variety (rotating encounters, modifiers) and steep challenge so as to create intense, prolonged combat of constant near-death and many 'hero moments'.

If done right, of course. Which will be hard.
where is this confirmation that it was a "horde mode"

Prison of Elders is described as an "arena" twice now from Bungie.

where is this confirmation that it was a "horde mode"

all we know is that its "a new cooperative end game activity focused on variety, replayability, and skill – a new battle Arena called The Prison of Elders."

negative nellies just trying to drag everyone down

Will be interesting to see what the Arena is. Hope it is split into different wings and each week has a different wing with different modifiers. Also looking forward to dressing up my Warlock as Anubis.

all we know is that its "a new cooperative end game activity focused on variety, replayability, and skill – a new battle Arena called The Prison of Elders."

negative nellies just trying to drag everyone down

Negative nellies?

This DLC had even more development time than TDB.

3 player as well! No new 6 player coop action. It not only effects what has made the gMe so popular, but also makes the community different as it will be groups of 3 versus 6.

Mindlog

Hopped on Destiny for the first time in weeks to collect some coins and just check out the game in general.
30 Friends on!
Two playing Destiny.

ch ch ch changes.
360 Fatebringer is neat, but I need something new to shoot at :\
I can dig a horde mode so we'll see just what the Arena is all about. A great horde mode can keep me playing for years.

Anastasis

Since I was a little late to the VOG HM party I was hoping fatebringer would be surpassed. Gotta find some folks to down he Templar now.

Firefight in ODST and in particular Reach gave me some of my most memorable tales of survival under extreme odds I've had in any game. Destiny's netcode is light years better than both, and the core gameplay is better, IMO. Those moments in Nightfalls and Raids when you are the last Guardian standing, and come through crazy odds or hard situations to pull the team back from the brink, are the kind of moments I live for. A good survival mode would offer both variety (rotating encounters, modifiers) and steep challenge so as to create intense, prolonged combat of constant near-death and many 'hero moments'.

If done right, of course. Which will be hard.

Prison of Elders is described as an "arena" twice now from Bungie.

Why not 6 players then? 3 players makes it sound like a strike with endless waves of adds.

On top of that, it will likely be a weekly activity - so rewards/loot just once per week. Where is the replayability? We don't do nightfalls more than once.

That said I'll reserve judgement till we have more info, but just can't get excited about this.

Edit: Not a big Halo fan, but if Arena is anything like the Zombies survival mode from Treyarch's CoD games, then I'll be very, very interested.

ocean

Banned
With today's news, I'm expecting more VoG HM Templar runs over the next several weeks. People will want that 360 Fatebringer.

I kinda hope it'll be a Level 33/Epic VoG drop. Higher difficulty level and some new modifiers (Epic for more adds + more shielded enemies) would bring some spice back to our resets. I've given it some thought and think these would all be worth looking for at 365:

Fatebringer, Vision of Confluence, Found Verdict, Praedyth's Revenge, Corrective Measure.

If we can upgrade these straight up then cool. But since there's no new Raid, I'd love an updated VoG.

todd360

I will dismantle my Heart of the Praxic Fire if there is no raid. I'm with you Lima.

MsSDbGd.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxlcpTagrAw

I trusted you Bungie.

Ganhyun

Honest question that I wish someone from Bungie would answer:

How BAD was the raid for HoW that it was dropped and replaced with this 3-man arena thing?

With all the negative feedback being thrown at them for this, how BAD was the Raid that they'd rather have all this negative feedback?

Stop being reasonable!

i don't think Bungie deserves any benefit of doubt when they've consistently underwhelmed since the game launched. Nevertheless, until we see some gameplay and information about what this Arena mode is, it seems incredible premature to say that it wont be worthwhile because it's not a Raid.

Dave_6

I can't say that I wasn't disappointed to read that there isn't going to be a new raid, but I'm not going to get all negative about it. I'll happily await more info on the arena and what else will possibly be included.

Also, being able to (hopefully) finally upgrade our current raid weapons sounds fantastic to me!

GhaleonEB

Why not 6 players then? 3 players makes it sound like a strike with endless waves of adds.

On top of that, it will likely be a weekly activity - so rewards/loot just once per week. Where is the replayability? We don't do nightfalls more than once.

That said I'll reserve judgement till we have more info, but just can't get excited about this.

Edit: Not a big Halo fan, but if Arena is anything like the Zombies survival mode from Treyarch's CoD games, then I'll be very, very interested.

I think you are making a few assumptions about it, but then that's nearly all we can do at this point. I expect it to feature matchmaking and regular rewards for play. What I'm not sure about is how the "raid" gear will work. My hope is, you get one shot at a "big" weekly drop, but also strike-like rewards for regular play.

Fire teams of 3 implies a smaller scale and a combat focus, vs. the distinct roles you have to take up in a raid. Beyond that, I dunno. We'll see.

ocean

Banned
he only had the coins for one, but i like to imagine his vault stuffed full of them.

everything

Oh man that's a shame. I did see you post you'd stop playing so you could focus on being more productive - which I commend you for - but I didn't know you'd deleted all your stuff. I noticed the Youtube channel is gone too. Best of luck with your stuff man :)

As much as I'm on the "Pro-Arena" side, I will say this: It is a HUGE mistake to hold off detailing it until May 8th. Because it's replacing the Raid, they need to get out ahead and explain to people why it's an even trade. I'm hoping we get some decent details before that date.

todd360

As much as I'm on the "Pro-Arena" side, I will say this: It is a HUGE mistake to hold off detailing it until May 8th. Because it's replacing the Raid, they need to get out ahead and explain to people why it's an even trade. I'm hoping we get some decent details before that date.

It isn't an even trade. We all know it. All hope is lost.

Namikaze1

Damn, Todd. I wouldn't have done it. An avatar bet I can take but dismantling something I spent hundreds of hours trying to get is something I wouldn't do.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom