• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namikaze1

This from that private presentation they did last year?

Destiny-High-Res-Image.jpg

Came across it on the other thread.

Edit: that last icon... The phalanx formation nightmare will be real!

Jito

Banned
VoG is influenced by Greek mythology. The Cabal are influenced by the Romans. What world have they created where Ancient Egyptian influences are out of place? The only part of Earth we've even seen is Old Russia.

The Cabal have basic Roman influences , they don't look like they're actually wearing Roman legion armour, the closest they get is their shields but I've never seen the Cabal form a phalanx with their shields. Can't say I see the VoG influences other than in the enemies names, the design of the Vex doesn't change at all.

Frostburn

Every time I get loot I have a 99.9% chance of being disappointed, that's where I'm at with this game now.

Nightfall 1 12 Ass Energy
Nightfall 2 Some crappy RL with bad perks
Nightfall 3 Venation III

All I want is a Ghorn, so sad to know Xur will probably never sell it as obviously luck is not on my side in getting one as a drop still.

Mengetsu

Every time I get loot I have a 99.9% chance of being disappointed, that's where I'm at with this game now.

Nightfall 1 12 Ass Energy
Nightfall 2 Some crappy RL with bad perks
Nightfall 3 Venation III

All I want is a Ghorn, so sad to know Xur will probably never sell it as obviously luck is not on my side in getting one as a drop still.
I feel the sameway..I'm not even greedy in this game for Ghorn...All I want is a rocket. I have every drop from Crota on normal and hard but the hunger and crux. Xur just sell The Truth friday...I'm tired of struggling to find people to play with because of my One Way Ticket. I just want one good rocket. Fuck Hawkmoon and everything else.

FyreWulff

I did a few minutes of digging, and found most of the info is from megaman data mining.
As for bungie, they have been tight lipped about all content.
I wouldn't put it past them to say in one of their interviews that it was suppose to have a raid, but I haven't found it.
So, I will take my thrashing with dignity. You guys are right.

it's coo

The Cabal have basic Roman influences , they don't look like they're actually wearing Roman legion armour, the closest they get is their shields but I've never seen the Cabal form a phalanx with their shields. Can't say I see the VoG influences other than in the enemies names, the design of the Vex doesn't change at all.

That still doesn't explain why Egyptian looking armour is inconsistent with the game's style.

rasengan1337, i'll be there for a good bit.

edit: d'oh double post!

edit 2: closed for the time being. will try to open it up again later. HM, too.

Jito

Banned
That still doesn't explain why Egyptian looking armour is inconsistent with the game's style.

Well no, really you're comment doesn't explain why Egyptian looking armour is consistent with the game's style. Everything else in the game is generic sci-fi expect for this random Egyptian themed armour, how can you not say it's out of place?

Impala26

Exactly. I mean the Hive are clearly like medieval (undead) occult, and the Vex are like Daft Punk and some Geth (from Mass Effect) had love children... so, how is the Osiris stuff outlandish in this game exactly?

if you ask me, most of the armor in Destiny looks like it was taken from Dick's Sporting Goods

The Trials of Osiris armor actually looks like armor somebody would wear and not be laughed at.

ocean

Banned
Well no, really you're comment doesn't explain why Egyptian looking armour is consistent with the game's style. Everything else in the game is generic sci-fi expect for this random Egyptian themed armour, how can you not say it's out of place?
You're making it sound like Guardians will go out fighting like bare-chested Pharoahs.

Armor for all three classes is still distinctly sci-fi. They're not even ALL that different from current Armor sets. There are details which allude to Egypt but it's not inconsistent because it's just decorative touches. I mean each class is still clad in armor that fits with the rest of the stuff we've seen, only with some Egypt touches. It's 100% Destiny Armor and hasn't changed fundamentally except for some freaking cool details.

I'd say No Land Beyond and 4th Horseman are way closer to being "inconsistent", but nobody was bothered by their WW2 aesthetic. Most people actually praised the way those look (if only they didn't suck :p)

Take it easy man. This is totally fitting with the game, looks amazing, and is at worst an armor set you don't like the look of.

patchday

if you ask me, most of the armor in Destiny looks like it was taken from Dick's Sporting Goods

The Trials of Osiris armor actually looks like armor somebody would wear and not be laughed at.

I agree! My only complaint is that once again- all the max level characters will look the same. I hope they look into giving us the ability to upgrade older raid armor for a little more variety

[edit] oh wait- I've actually been happy with majority of Destiny armor. Only items I think look awful is the oddballs like Glasshouse.

Shito

The warlock helmet is the only piece I find that maybe goes a bit far on the "too much egyptian" side. All the other ones are a neat mix between the egyptian and "Destiny-SF" looks.

Really? So because it's not generic it bothers you?

ocean

Banned
Yes, if it's locked behind pvp.
Iron Banner armor looks way nicer than CE armor in my opinion. But I think it's totally fair that players have a PvP and a PvE path towards reaching the level cap.

If ToS armor is higher light I'm 100% sure the Arena or some other PvE category will offer equivalent stats. Once again though, the fashionable armor will likely be PvP only :)

Tawpgun

Gonna go grimoire nerd here for a bit.

prison.jpg

That's clearly some super servitor.....

But the environment itself has those Hive barnacles and crystals..... Is the Prison of Elders on a Hive ship?

And Hive Ship was supposed to be one of the environments in comet.

EDIT: Actual architecture of the ship is Fallen. Looks like a Ketch. Maybe Prison of Elders got Hive infested?

Wait, really man? That's what you chose to respond too. Sigh, why do I bother trying to discuss perceived faults in armour design with the fans on the community threads, it's pointless.

Yes, man. Because each set of armour has its own style. It's still rooted in the same aesthetic as every other damn set in the game, it just a a uniquely Egyptian twist because Osiris is fucking Egyptian.

ocean

Banned
Wait, really man? That's what you chose to respond too. Sigh, why do I bother trying to discuss perceived faults in armour design with the fans on the community threads, it's pointless.
In all seriousness though, are you just going to assume that those who disagree with you do it out of blind fandom? I want to see why you feel this way but don't get it. This armor set isn't fundamentally different from anything else in the game. It has some "pre-Collapse" details but it's not like it's a completely different look.

Like I said, a bolt-action rifle like NLB is truly inconsistent with the game. It's out of place and looks AND plays differently. It was still accepted as a quirky addition to the game's repertoire.

An Armor set with some Egyptian influence (mainly the helms to be honest) though...would you honestly say it's a serious departure from the rest of the gear in the game? It's still overwhelmingly Destiny sci-fi with just overtones of Egypt the way I see it. I mean rock an Exotic helm and nobody would get "Egypt" at all from that set :p

Shito

Careful with that, this kind of argument never leads to any good or level-headed discussion, and it has been frowned upon here on GAF.
It's not like the "fans" here don't know how to be critical towards the game or Bungie. ^^

You seem to be in the minority, dude. Armor looks cool; it doesn't seem out of place that ceremonial reward armor from something called The Trials of Osiris would represent ancient Egyptian culture.

Deku Tree

I think that Prison of Elders is clearly a series of Bosses. After all it's a Prison. It's where the Archob Priest came from. The picture looks like a bigger servitor. Probably a mix of repeat bosses, and also hopefully some new bosses.

It really looks like Bungie planned to include a six player raid and then their plans changed. I think this because of all the massive amount of datamined info that was pointing towards a new six player raid. Probably HoW was released in May instead of March because of these plans changing. I expect PoE to feel rushed.

Why did their plans change? IDK. Maybe the planned raid sucked. Maybe they internally saw CE raid and all its cheese as a huge flop. Maybe they are trying to reach a larger audience with a less hardcore PvE activity. Maybe they wanted the ultimate endgame PvE activity to have MM and it was hard to do that successfully and have it be fun with their current six player designs. Maybe they needed more content for Comet in the fall. Maybe they'll try to sell is an additional raid over the summer for more money.

patchday

Any gaffer wants to run Nightfall with me? psn sandboxgod. Itching to break out the Fatebringer since I see its Arc Burn. oh boy <rubs hands>

I really wish every Nightfall had a burn bonus. I hate how it can sometimes not have a burn bonus

[edit] Full now!

Anyone else bothered by how out of place the Trials of Osiris armour looks? Why would they have armour influenced by ancient Egyptian Gods? I guess at this rate I can look forward to samurai, cowboy and Viking armour in the future.

It's the coolest looking armor in the game by far imo so no.

Tawpgun

Generic Sci Fi?

Maybe the Titans are generic Sci Fi. But we got fuckin Hunters with capes and shit and Warlocks with their robes spewing out space magic.

The Egyptian armor is no more out of place with generic sci fi than that Hunter with Hive armor and a colorful ass cloak or the Warlock with what looks like some kind of ceremonial robe shooting a rocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom