• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

realcZk

Have you guys seen this? Sorry, been away from the thread today and a buddy sent me this I assume from Reddit.

How to Guarantee Exotic Weapons from Legendary Engrams:
https://youtu.be/yIhbYzru_b0

That's pretty funny.

It's well known that most algorithms that return random values usually do so based upon a seed that is determined by the current time.

Programmatically, whenever you create an instance of a Random object, it's seeded based on the current time, so if you create a Random object right after another, it's not unusual to see the same results when you pull a random number from it. This is usually resolved by using one instance of a Random object for everything.

GRIP

Sorry for the delay getting this posted! Here's our raid group's weekly write-up:

Late response, just wanted to say fuck that ogre. Oh, and I also pulled my second fatebringer and like my 4th or 5th Mida. So yeah, a second Ghorn and FB were very nice pick-ups, but that goddamn HoC still refuses to drop for me. Think I'm at 50 CE normal clears now.

That's pretty funny.

It's well known that most algorithms that return random values usually do so based upon a seed that is determined by the current time.

Programmatically, whenever you create an instance of a Random object, it's seeded based on the current time, so if you create a Random object right after another, it's not unusual to see the same results when you pull a random number from it. This is usually resolved by using one instance of a Random object for everything.

This would explain the one time I got 2 exotics at once by quickly clicking through shit.

It would explain alotta things. I always do the 'Click fast to decrypt' trick.

Dave_6

Late response, just wanted to say fuck that ogre. Oh, and I also pulled my second fatebringer and like my 4th or 5th Mida. So yeah, a second Ghorn and FB were very nice pick-ups, but that goddamn HoC still refuses to drop for me. Think I'm at 50 CE normal clears now.

Hopefully the same night HoC finally drops for you, I will also finally get a Thunderlord.

TheOddOne

I'm going to guess the random roll is server side and time-based, so when you roll a legendary off a rare, and go fast enough before the server 'ticks' again, it's still on the upgrade condition and you can bump up a weapon engram to the next level. I'm going to guess someone made an accidental change where rolling a weapon engram didn't force a new tick.

That's pretty funny.

SqAsqlq.gif

Actually, thinking back at the time I got multiple legendaries from blues, or multiple exotics, it's gone as far back as since the beginning. I remember way back when I quickly decrypted two legendaries and got my Universal Remote and a Hunter exotic glove at the same time-this was way back when.

So this video correlates to the patch, but they've probably only discovered it.

A few days I was exclaiming how I got a bunch of legendaries from blue engrams, and when I decrypt things I usually wait to get a bunch of blue engrams and then I quickly unravel them.

That's pretty funny.

You've reduced yourself to a lurker? Seriously?

Seems legit. Honestly clicked on the video expecting it to be a joke. But as mentioned above, seems like it probably has something to do w/ the upgrade condition on the server side. hit it fast enough and you get an exotic.

Someone should test the delay. Wait 30 seconds or a minute and then decrypt. It may be more complicated than just a server side timing issue.

Someone should test the delay. Wait 30 seconds or a minute and then decrypt. It may be more complicated than just a server side timing issue.

I doubt it. Unless it's a game like Diablo where the drop roll for Legendaries is generated as soon as it's dropped, it seems Destiny has always had the system that the roll for the engram is generated as soon as it's decrypted and not when it's dropped.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
That's pretty funny.

I feel vindicated. I've been saying something along these lines since release as a way of getting better drops.

Homeboyd

You know, now that I think about it one time I had 2 legendary engrams (both armor), and randomly the first decrypted into an exotic (which fkn NEVER happens) and I opened the 2nd one immediately after and it too decrypted into an exotic.

Wonder if you get the train rolling... can you just keep decrypting all your legendaries as fast as possible to keep getting exotics?

o_O

Deku Tree

- Have a bunch of rare engrams and 1 legendary engram (he said about 15 rares)
- Go to Crytarch and start decrypting the rare engrams
- Once a rare engram decrypts into a legendary, quickly decrypt the legendary engram and it will become an exotic

:eek:

Bungie will definitely patch that if it works reliably for everyone.

If true it has to mean that the RNG is somehow time based and the roll for a legendary from a rare engram is the same as the roll for getting a exotic from a legendary engram.

EDIT: I'm going to go ahead and guess that this only works after the recent patch and somehow the recent patch introduced an RNG bug that will be patched.

You know, now that I think about it one time I had 2 legendary engrams (both armor), and randomly the first decrypted into an exotic (which fkn NEVER happens) and I opened the 2nd one immediately after and it too decrypted into an exotic.

Wonder if you get the train rolling... can you just keep decrypting all your legendaries as fast as possible to keep getting exotics?

o_O

I have seen some videos of mass Legendary decrypts and it is very common to see 2 in a row. Don't recall if a 3rd happened.

If true it has to mean that the RNG is somehow time based and the roll for a legendary from a rare engram is the same as the roll for getting a exotic from a legendary engram.

The video creator claimed they were 15/15 at the time of uploading. It is also worth noting that only seemed to work on weapon engrams, not armor.

Curiois if anyone here has tried it yet.

The easiest(and lamest) way to patch it is so that the engrams roll is determined when you receive it(Either by drop or post mission screen.) Granted it might actually be tough for Bungie to code it in if it's time based right now..

E92 M3

The easiest(and lamest) way to patch it is so that the engrams roll is determined when you receive it(Either by drop or post mission screen.) Granted it might actually be tough for Bungie to code it in if it's time based right now..

Bungie will break the game in anyway possible as long as they stop us from getting favorable drops ;)

Frenden

Banned
I have several factions on each character just shy of leveling up (saving for DLC items/packages).

I'm tempted to turn them all in, see if I get any legendary weapon engrams, and give this a go. I only need Truth and Gjally, though, so I'm really only helped out if I get heavy engrams.

Deku Tree

Yeah I find it hard to believe that people took this long to discover that way to get an exotic weapon from a legendary engram... no way to know for sure but I really think that this only works after the recent patch and somehow the recent patch introduced an RNG bug that will be patched.

LTWood12

This makes me wonder if each weapon is weighted equally on the roll, or if some have a better chance than others.

For primary weapons, there are seven that you could roll from an engram:

Hard Light
Hawkmoon
Mida Multi-tool
Monte Carlo
Red Death
Suros Regime
The Last Word

Assuming they're weighted equally, and all you needed was Hawkmoon, You'd have a 14% chance of getting one from an engram using this.

Axoman

Yeah I find it hard to believe that people took this long to discover that way to get an exotic weapon from a legendary engram... no way to know for sure but I really think that this only works after the recent patch and somehow the recent patch introduced an RNG bug that will be patched.

I believe the author of the video said he has been doing this since before the latest patch in the video.

Nah. I can corroborate that I've seen this type of decoding in the past, before TDB dropped. It's how I got my first Exotic, I won't forget it.

I think I posted in one of the previous single digit OTs, that I would decode my engrams quickly...corroborating with what they do in the video.

I always thought that once you got the engram, it was already predetermined to be whatever it was gonna be before Rahool decrypted them. Thought someone here said that before as well. Maybe that has never been the case.

I always thought that once you got the engram, it was already predetermined to be whatever it was gonna be before Rahool decrypted them. Thought someone here said that before as well. Maybe that has never been the case.

That's how it is in Diablo with their legendaries. They probably thought that Bungie used the same algorithm.

This makes me wonder if each weapon is weighted equally on the roll, or if some have a better chance than others.

For primary weapons, there are seven that you could roll from an engram:

Hard Light
Hawkmoon
Mida Multi-tool
Monte Carlo
Red Death
Suros Regime
The Last Word

Assuming they're weighted equally, and all you needed was Hawkmoon, You'd have a 14% chance of getting one from an engram using this.

you missed universal remote.

is that really all there is? seems like so much more.

VOG hard x3?
I'd be down depending on what time. I might be a bit sloppy though, as I haven't done it in a while
It is safe to assume that with the changes to special ammo drops Universal Remote is gonna get a lot more love in PvP?
I've seen a fucking ton of Invective lately

Missed No Land Beyond as well

ethomaz

Banned
I will pop up online in few minutes and I need to ask some help.

I need to pass my DS NM CP from my Hunter to Warlock... anybody here can hold the CP while I change characters?

PS. All to try to get this 4th Horseman.

I will pop up online in few minutes and I need to ask some help.

I need to pass my DS NM CP from my Hunter to Warlock... anybody here can hold the CP while I change characters?

PS. All to try to get this 4th Horseman.

Lol one of two exotics I'm missing as well.

GutZ31

Ah I knew I was right! I typed "Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?" and was told I was wrong...

Bastards. The lot of ye.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss

I still think it should be "HoW Come, No Raid".

Just say both out loud, you will feel how wrong it is to say "HoW Comes".

Homeboyd

I still think it should be "HoW Come, No Raid".

Just say both out loud, you will feel how wrong it is to say "HoW Comes".
lol but you're missing out on half the brilliance..

It makes sense when you say "H-O-W comes" instead of "how comes" which is the whole point of the comma.

This one isn't landing for some people lol.. go with the void burn pls! TYIA

LTWood12

Missed No Land Beyond as well

Well theres still vex, thorn, bad juju and nechro but of course you can't get those from engrams. Prob what you're thinking about.

(oh and NLB)

thorn, bad juju, vex, and necrochasm don't fit in this equation.
how can NLB be forgotten?

edit: beaten

I love you all...but unless I've missed something you're wrong.. Universal Remote and No Land Beyond, despite their status as primaries, are rolled from special weapon engrams.

lt519

Damn I just broke down like 25 armor engrams yesterday too, I have like 10 legendary engrams saved for no reason other than upgrading the cryptarch faster after the patch. But alas no Heavy Weapon legendary engrams, horn must wait. May just ROC strike today and see if I can get a legendary Heavy Engram though.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yes. GK/Atheon runs later tonight.

I get a missive every week and I usually take Super Good Advice and then level up a lil to get 2 free shards.

Homeboyd

I love you all...but unless I've missed something you're wrong.. Universal Remote and No Land Beyond, despite their status as primaries, are rolled from special weapon engrams.
No.. we're saying you forgot 2, then the others don't have a chance to roll. That's why it seems like there's more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom