• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
One thing I love about Guild Wars is when they send out Updates. If your raiding or doings certain activities you won't be booted until after you're done.
gw1 or 2? you ought to join our gaf guild if you play gw2 :)
Deku Tree[/quote said:
Server side updates require players to get booted. Bungie told us this would happen yesterday.
I'm sure her point was that they don't in the GW games. It's a really nice technology.
I would agree that something feels wrong.

Before, two headshots would leave you horribly injured and the DoT would finish you off.

Now I feel like two headshots is a kill, no DoT necessary.
Bleh. As of last week's patch or what?

Server side updates require players to get booted. Bungie told us this would happen yesterday.
Deku I know that........I wasn't even in Destiny. I was simply stating I liked that GW's did that.

gw1 or 2? you ought to join our gaf guild if you play gw2 :)
I'm sure her point was that they don't in the GW games. It's a really nice technology.

GW2 I'm in the guild actually. Haven't been on in a month or so tho. When's the DLC coming?

Zechs

Hello everyone! I haven't played Destiny in a few months but just bought the season pass and spent all day yesterday leveling from 20-25. I found myself stuck with nothing much to do. After reading this great OT and the guides, I have a better idea on how to progress. I dont however, have a lot of friends who play Destiny and really want to Raid and strike. Would this be the place to set that up? I play on PS4 id Zechs34... Thanks! I honestly forgot how addicting this game was.

Daemul

Thorn is not "bullshit." It's actually quite hard to use compared to TLW or even a good legendary pulse rifle like 123 Syzygy. It doesn't fire that fast, and you have to get headshots.

I just got Thorn, and it's my baby. I've been maining it for the Queen's bounties and even messed up orb generation during Crota because my DoT killed one of the knights (whoops). But right now, I'm doing way worse with it in Crucible than Vex, TLW, or Red Death.

Vex and TLW are basically newb tubes. You can spray and pray and still rack of kills if your aim is decent at all. Pulse rifles also don't require close to the level of precision it takes to pull off 2 headshots back-to-back with Thorn.

Here's the real truth about Thorn: it's OP in the hands of a great player. Well, so are most other guns. Watch Gaz run around the Crucible doing the Thorn bounty for the 4th time with Word of Crota racking up 10-kill streaks, and you'll see what I mean.

10c0021dcb.gif

spyder_ur

8:30 & 9:30 raid teams, what are we doing about PoE this week?

Posting this early so groups can form to play during the day tomorrow, as I know people are taking tomorrow off or are generally available during the day anyway.

Below is the list of last week's raid teams teams and alts. I've added "DAY" and "EVENING" after GAF/PSN names.

Could you please reply to let me know if you'll be playing on release, during the day, in the evening, or whatever combo?

I'll update/sort throughout the day so groups can start forming.

I took the day off, so I'm around from whenever HoW opens on. Will probably try to grab people to do the story missions and maybe NFs in the afternoon, and then hoping to five into PoE in the evening.

I'm not sure how much organizing we can really do, but I'm around.

I'm sure it's all in my head. Any changes to Thorn and Reddit seems to be all over it. Confirmation bias and whatnot.

I think what's really happening is that someone else is shooting at me, and getting an assist and I just can't tell.

I played a lot of skirmish this weekend and so many teams roll with 3x Thorns, or 2x Thorns and a Hawkmoon.

So will I be able to pump my commendations into any faction or will it be vanguard for vanguard only and crucible for crucible and factions?

Thorn is not "bullshit." It's actually quite hard to use compared to TLW or even a good legendary pulse rifle like 123 Syzygy. It doesn't fire that fast, and you have to get headshots.

I just got Thorn, and it's my baby. I've been maining it for the Queen's bounties and even messed up orb generation during Crota because my DoT killed one of the knights (whoops). But right now, I'm doing way worse with it in Crucible than Vex, TLW, or Red Death.

Vex and TLW are basically newb tubes. You can spray and pray and still rack of kills if your aim is decent at all. Pulse rifles also don't require close to the level of precision it takes to pull off 2 headshots back-to-back with Thorn.

Here's the real truth about Thorn: it's OP in the hands of a great player. Well, so are most other guns. Watch Gaz run around the Crucible doing the Thorn bounty for the 4th time with Word of Crota racking up 10-kill streaks, and you'll see what I mean.

Thorn does DOTS, that is kinda easy mode. I think your having issues with it because it's a lot different than anything you have used. I do personally think it's OP in PVP.

Dave_6

Posting this early so groups can form to play during the day tomorrow, as I know people are taking tomorrow off or are generally available during the day anyway.

Below is the list of last week's raid teams teams and alts. I've added "DAY" and "EVENING" after GAF/PSN names.

Could you please reply to let me know if you'll be playing on release, during the day, in the evening, or whatever combo?

Team 1: 8:30 PM Eastern
1) stb (PSN Berried_treasurE) EVENING
2) Dave_6 (PSN DaveS78) EVENING
3) stb's pal (PSN Capt_Verde) DAY
4) captscience (PSN captscience) DAY
5) GRIP (PSN GriP17-) ??
6) StereoType (PSN Haybro_) ??

I am not off work tomorrow so I won't be home and free until ~6 PM CST. I will start running the story missions with my first character to at least unlock PoE with it, then start on my other two later in the week. Among having to spend a while in the tower decrypting all these engrams I have across three characters.

Trakan

I'm sure it's all in my head. Any changes to Thorn and Reddit seems to be all over it. Confirmation bias and whatnot.

I think what's really happening is that someone else is shooting at me, and getting an assist and I just can't tell.

I played a lot of skirmish this weekend and so many teams roll with 3x Thorns, or 2x Thorns and a Hawkmoon.

When I play PVP again I'm going to try to get some video of it happening.

patchday

even though I'm a bit burned out it would be efficient to log in and horde some engrams via chest farming. surely that will get patched. I've never seen Destiny rain so much loot. My characters are always out of mats (like plates-titan, wires-Hunter).

Waiting to see if they patch the extreme requirements for raw armor mats in the patch (25 armor mats per node is hideous). game has came a long ways since launch. Really wished I waited til TDB dlc to join Destiny. The only thing that has gotten worse though is Crucible. Between Thorns, rare special ammo, etc its turned into a real mess.

stb

Current plan is for T-44 and I to be burning through all the story missions, etc on our 3 characters tomorrow afternoon when the update hits. I'll take a break probably around 4:00 central to 7:30 central, and from then on I plan to be on into the Wee hours doing the Prison of Elders. T-44 has a work thing in the evening, and his wife is a week overdue for their second baby, so he could be called away at a moment's notice. I'd love to play w/ any and all of you at some point tomorrow.

This is a good point; the "day" people are going to have to do the story stuff, then us evening folks can leech off them.

I'll list you as "Story: day; PoE: evening".

Deku Tree

5) GRIP (PSN GriP17-) ??

Team 2: 9:30 PM Eastern
1) ich00 (PSN ichabod00) ??
2) T-44 (PSN T-44) ??
3) kazeshini (PSN rasengan1337) ??
4) Rollo Tomasi (PSN kreepmode) ??
5) Deku Tree (PSN DekuBleep) ??
6) Hung Wei Lo (PSN Kinezo) ??

Alts
a) LTWood12 (PSN LTWOOD12) ??
a) schwagger15 (PSN spyder_ur) ??
a) manicstreet (PSN manicstreet) ??
a) Lnkn52 (PSN Lnkn52) ??
a) Frostburn (PSN US-Frostburn) ??
a) Narmer212 (PSN GKW212) ??

I am playing at launch tomorrow with a group of friends. I also have a small baby at home so I can't 100% commit to playing non-stop at all tomorrow. So I'm probably not jumping into a preformed group for this week. Although I'm happy to play with everyone spontaneously whenever groups form. Thanks! See everyone tomorrow.

LTWood12

5) GRIP (PSN GriP17-) ??

Team 2: 9:30 PM Eastern
1) ich00 (PSN ichabod00) ??
2) T-44 (PSN T-44) ??
3) kazeshini (PSN rasengan1337) ??
4) Rollo Tomasi (PSN kreepmode) ??
5) Deku Tree (PSN DekuBleep) ??
6) Hung Wei Lo (PSN Kinezo) ??

Alts
a) LTWood12 (PSN LTWOOD12) ??
a) schwagger15 (PSN spyder_ur) ??
a) manicstreet (PSN manicstreet) ??
a) Lnkn52 (PSN Lnkn52) ??
a) Frostburn (PSN US-Frostburn) ??
a) Narmer212 (PSN GKW212) ??

If any of you fellas want to do some HM Crota or VoG tonight for funsies let me know. I've got the oracle checpoint :)

Homeboyd

What exactly is everyone expecting them to nerf? Is there an exploit I'm unaware of?
Yes you can loot the same chest over and over again if you leave the area and come back as long as your "ether key" timer still has time left.

I'm not expecting them to nerf it, just asking if they did.

stb

I took the day off, so I'm around from whenever HoW opens on. Will probably try to grab people to do the story missions and maybe NFs in the afternoon, and then hoping to five into PoE in the evening.

I'm not sure how much organizing we can really do, but I'm around.

Yeah, I'm just trying to get a feel for who might want to be around to do story stuff, then PoE stuff later. I'm not sure we're going to be able to make 'groups' with start times and stuff.

Haybro

I'll be home playing when HoW drops, so I'll definitely be down to team up for Story/Nightfall with whoever else is around.

Dave_6

Yeah, I'm just trying to get a feel for who might want to be around to do story stuff, then PoE stuff later. I'm not sure we're going to be able to make 'groups' with start times and stuff.

I can't remember; can we run story missions with a fire team? I'd at least like to try out the new strike with some of our group, but it may end up being the nightfall anyways.

Bad time to post Wheel, the Thorn hate brigade is out in full force today.

Don't sweat it though, just watch and laugh as the peasants die from poison whilst fleeing around a corner. Never gets old ^^

Tawpgun

The DOT on THorn makes it huge for crowd control. You only need to get one hit on someone and they will make the fuck away. TLW will kill fastest, sure, but Thorn can lock down an area just by pinging people. 2 headshots will kill but 3-4 easy body shots will also.

It's so annoying I basically ONLY use Red Death in crucible because

1. I think it rewards good aim
2. Mainly because I need to counteract Thorn

Im going to try and do the chest exploit right now.

Let's see how it goes.

The easiest place to do it is Skywatch.

Cross your fingers that the chest ends up by the small run of chain link fence near the lunar complex (the building you came from that leads to the mothyards). You can grab that chest, jump over the fence, and then just sprint down the hallway. You'll see "LUNAR COMPLEX" in the corner, that's your signal to turn around. Turn around and run back to teh chest. You shouldn't even need to use your sparrow.

This'll get you 5-6 loots from 1 chest.

Obviously if the chest spawns elsewhere you'll only get the 2, 3 if you're lucky.

Edit: Nevermind, I just realized what you were talking about. Oh well. Still leaving this info up for anyone who wants it.

Hello everyone! I haven't played Destiny in a few months but just bought the season pass and spent all day yesterday leveling from 20-25. I found myself stuck with nothing much to do. After reading this great OT and the guides, I have a better idea on how to progress. I dont however, have a lot of friends who play Destiny and really want to Raid and strike. Would this be the place to set that up? I play on PS4 id Zechs34... Thanks! I honestly forgot how addicting this game was.

Hawkian runs a weekly Noob Raid so that would be a great place to start. He runs through Vault of Glass on Thurs I believe. The weekly strike will get you coins you can use to buy stuff from xur. If you get to lvl 27, there'd probably be a pair of guardians willing to sherpa you through Nightfall. Also right now a lot of ppl are farming loot chests from the new Wolves event that was just added. They're giving a decent shot at picking up Legendary engrams.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GW2 I'm in the guild actually. Haven't been on in a month or so tho. When's the DLC coming?
oh awesome, let me know a character or account name to keep my eyes peeled for. :)

Heart of Thorns still has no release date, a substantial misstep IMO. They need to lock that down.

Absolutely not. That nerf from a while ago did nothing. There was a guy one shotting me from ridiculous ranges with a Plug.one the other day. It should have about double the range of a shotgun, after the shotgun range nerf you mentioned. It should do literally zero damage at mid to long range.
When I said they are absolutely fine I mean that they are still fully viable, in contrast to the multiple posts claiming that they "suck"and are "complete garbage" now, and here you are saying instead that they are still too OP and want a more drastic nerf. Whatever.

The range falloff change did not do nothing; maximum OHK range was substantially decreased, especially for the rifles at the highest end of the range spectrum.

I wouldn't even actually be opposed to another spread increase for a range reduction on those that remain able to oneshot past midrange. Your proposal is ridiculous though; reducing their effective range to the current shotgun range (double the range of my proposal of cutting shotgun range in half) and they would be useless. Even the slowest RoF shotguns would outclass them at close range because of being able to deliver a followup shot more quickly and they'd no longer be able to compete at all against hand cannons. The idea that they should do literally no damage outside close range is silly; I don't see why you shouldn't be able to, for example, 3-shot someone at range with a fusion if they literally will not move in the vast amount of time it would take to do so.

But again, I want to be clear that the main thesis of my post here is: whatever. I used the phrase "fusion rifles are absolute fine" so as to be synonymous with "they don't suck." You're responding to it from the complete other side of the equation.

LTWood12

I'll be on tonight and available for a raid. Just shoot me a message if you need someone and see me online.

Will do. I'll be on around 8 Central. I've got oracles and gatekeeper checkpoint. Other than a single run at oracles and templar I haven't done any raiding this week. First time in a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom