• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm really sure that thorn "bug" is just Final Round. You can see in Trakan's screenshot it was the last shot in his mag.
Two steps forward, once step back.
Two steps forward, once step back.
That's a rather specific typo for both of you to make, unless this is a reference I'm not getting? Or is this just a common misuse like "all intensive purposes?" :p

there will be plenty of time to rage against bungie's shitty player-hating decisions when we experience them, but I will, with admittedly futility, advise patience for the moment.

We don't really know how this works, we don't know if any other changes are accompanying Nightfalls. Nothing's in a "working" state yet, for example reddit posts claim that even the people for whom the Extinguished buff is showing can still start up a Nightfall at this very moment. The item from the Speaker also doesn't currently remove it (or consume a mote) when "purchased." Likewise I consider it misinformation to say that you can stack up the Infusion of Lights, I have no idea how anyone could know that, I haven't seen screenshots of a stack of them in anyone's inventory. Even if it does provide you with a consumable inventory item, those can be set with individual stack limits (i.e. 5 for Treasure Keys) limiting the number of retries one could "carry" before returning to the tower. Hell for all we know all of this is experimental code that shouldn't have been enabled and wasn't going to be off the bat for this reset anyway.

The most you'll get out of me is that it is of course pointless and dumb, and an inexplicable inconvenience, if it is merely implemented with no other changes that accompany the experience of attempting a weekly nightfall. The most obvious example would be an updated reward table.

But we just don't have enough information yet.

Shito

Daily crucible event gives a mote of light and a passage coin.

It's not that hard to get motes any more. 10 minutes.

Daily story mission and daily PvP event and you have 4 motes every single day now. Bullshit that you have to farm motes.
Forgot about daily missions giving motes now.
Still, the point still stands: "oh, sorry guys, gotta do that daily story mission first now, so we can try again that nightfall", or "did you thought about stocking up on motes beforehand? otherwise we can't take you into the nightfall buddy...".
I agree it's not as much of a bother as the exotic upgrade path from TDB, but it's still a stupid and annoying decision, that will make wipes in an activity where every single enemy can more or less OHKO you a real pain in the ass.

GhaleonEB

Oh I agree it's pointless and unnecessary. It's just I don't feel it's something we'll ever really have to contend with unless we're running NF solo. Granted I never solo so this is perhaps genuinely an issue for people who play that way.

It's a shame Bungie is spending dev time implementing annoyances that don't add anything and just hinder the fun. I imagine this is their way of making "endgame is easy, I solo NF" less of a thing. They kind of pride themselves in making stuff difficult even when we always find a way around it.

Still, if this is the only "oh cmon fuckkkkkk you were doing so well!" Surprise in HoW, I'll still be happy. That Xur upgrade thing really was a shit bomb.

Nightfalls are hard, people fail them sometimes. Often, even. I've had several wipes in the last few weeks.

geordiemp

But the glitch in TLW's case is that it does hip fire bonus damage for aimed shots while also doing the vice versa. Thorn should never be able to do 112 damage in the first place.

No. Go read the Thorns perks, think for a minute and then post.

The Thorn can do 112 damage and its meant to be that way....

The mystery is so simple.

Lima

The thing is though just like final round on snipers it sometimes glitches and gives final round bonus when it's not even the final round. If you have a Speer with FR and field scout it sometimes gives the final round bonus for the last two bullets. In the case of Thorn I noticed the 112 headshot after reloading and getting it again with the first shot of the fresh magazine. It's just a lot rarer than the 111 TLW glitch.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

It's just Final Round. No need to be cryptic.
The thing is though just like final round on snipers it sometimes glitches and gives final round bonus when it's not even the final round. If you have a Speer with FR and field scout it sometimes gives the final round bonus for the last two bullets. In the case of Thorn I noticed the 112 headshot after reloading and getting it again with the first shot of the fresh magazine. It's just a lot rarer than the 111 TLW glitch.
well I have no method of verifying any of that. If you look at Trakan's screenshot it is very plainly the last shot in his mag doing that damage.

Impala26

"But you can now buy a pack of 200 coins for $1.99!"

I would have gladly paid for this, before getting my horn...

I'm pretty sure EVERYONE who doesn't have the Gjally would happily pay 2 bucks to have it. Your exchange rate is way off... learn to microtransact!

20 coins--$1.99
100 coins--$8.99
200 coins--$17.99

noomi

2 treasure keys now :D

not really into farming them, so I'll leave it at that until we know what they're for

I have a total of 2 as well, perfectly fine with that for now. If I have some more time tonight, I might give the chests a few more chances...

Need to get those passage coins though, will have 9 by tonight.

We still do not know what the drop rate for etheric light will be, my guess another step backwards.

Believe!

Shito

I'm pretty sure EVERYONE who doesn't have the Gjally would happily pay 2 bucks to have it. Your exchange rate is way off... learn to microtransact!

20 coins--$0.99
100 coins--$8.99
200 coins--$17.99
Funny little trivia: I'm actually working in a social games company using those kind of prices.
As you can guess, I'm not the guy working on the monetization. :)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
"But you can now buy a pack of 200 coins for $1.99!"

I would have gladly paid for this, before getting my horn...

One of the things Destiny does incredibly well, imo, is giving digital items a sense of real worth. I'm attached to my Red Death because I had to work to get it and it feels unique and valuable to me.

Strange coins and motes are the same to me. I only have two characters on the go and I haven't done Nightfall for age, but my coins actually feel valuable to me because I'm only going to ever get so many every week.

If they did bring in micro transactions, it'd be so awful. I like having to complete challenges to obtain things of worth in the game world and I really like how so many of those things seem intricately hand-crafted. If you could buy a Gjallarhorn for any amount of money it would make it so less rewarding to use it. I may have been moaning about not having a Hawkmoon, but it just means that when I do get one it'll be all the more satisfying. If I could pay £2 to get one, it would just wreck the way the whole game is designed. Why would I even have any incentive to play the same missions and content again on harder difficulties? For the sheer fun of it? Once I'd done it once I'd never return.

So I guess that's my screed against having microtransactions. It's bound to happen at some point though. Activision are a business, microtransactions work and shareholders will be happy.

Shito

One of the things Destiny does incredibly well, imo, is giving digital items a sense of real worth. I'm attached to my Red Death because I had to work to get it and it feels unique and valuable to me.

Strange coins and motes are the same to me. I only have two characters on the go and I haven't done Nightfall for age, but my coins actually feel valuable to me because I'm only going to ever get so many every week.

If they did bring in micro transactions, it'd be so awful. I like having to complete challenges to obtain things of worth in the game world and I really like how so many of those things seem intricately hand-crafted. If you could buy a Gjallarhorn for any amount of money it would make it so less rewarding to use it. I may have been moaning about not having a Hawkmoon, but it just means that when I do get one it'll be all the more satisfying. If I could pay £2 to get one, it would just wreck the way the whole game is designed. Why would I even have any incentive to play the same missions and content again on harder difficulties? For the sheer fun of it? Once I'd done it once I'd never return.

So I guess that's my screed against having microtransactions. It's bound to happen at some point though. Activision are a business, microtransactions work and shareholders will be happy.
Oh yeah, I agree with you on that point. But when I was "desesperate" for a Horn, I would have paid.
My preferred option would have been some sort of "forging" mechanism, asking me to farm for a lot of materials that would be very long to gather, but that would allow me to work toward getting a Horn, or any other exotic.

Why is it that I do better in Crucible when alone but play like shit when with Fig and Twilight?

I'm the same way... I find it's for two main reasons:

1) When I'm playing with friends online, I tend to shoot the shit a lot and can lose focus on the actual game.

2) Whenever I join a fireteam and play PvP, I am way more likely to experience lag. Nothing crazy, but just enough to throw my timing off.

Edit: shooting the shit here refers to playful banter... not actually shooting shit in the game... like I should be doing.

Deku Tree

Could be that the debuff is applied as soon as you boot up the nightfall. So once you're in it you have to stay in it. If you want to go to orbit and join back to avoid the wipe, it'll cost you a mote. This would make more sense.

That would prevent the leave and rejoin cheese on the one hand. On the other hand it would be very cheap for players who get kicked

Why is it that I do better in Crucible when alone but play like shit when with Fig and Twilight?

I'm the same way, I tend to play better alone. It's probably due to the fact that I have nobody to depend on. When I'm with a group, I know I can depend on them and even if I make mistakes they can cover it. Can't do this when I'm just going solo, so I have to play better.

Impala26

Funny little trivia: I'm actually working in a social games company using those kind of prices.
As you can guess, I'm not the guy working on the monetization. :)

Note that I edited 20 coins to $1.99, but yeah almost every game I've played with microtransactions has these sorts of exchange rates.

You guys laugh like it can't be a thing, but it most certainly can in a full-priced AAA game.

Case in point Mass Effect 3 multiplayer:
You could buy "reward crates" through in-game currency OR through actual monetary transactions. At least the RNG was somewhat "fair" in that game......OH WAIT I STILL NEVER GOT THAT BLACK WIDOW.... :-/ :-/ :-/

GhaleonEB

I do not foresee Activision imposing these things on Bungie. It would be the single fastest way to kill the game; Bungie knows it, and Activision probably knows it. Destiny was profitable on day 1, and is still selling very well (#9 in the UK charts last week, for example). I do expect the DLC model to change going forward, but pay to win will never happen.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
A complete and tangible lack of microtransactions of any kind is vital to the pricing model and value proposition Bungie is employing for this game and its content releases.

Any added beyond the most absolutely cosmetic, to the tune of shaders, emblems and ships, anything affecting gameplay in even the most remote sense, and I'm gone forever, in a heartbeat. Take that for what you will.

It is not an inevitability, and if anything thus far Destiny has proven to Activision a degree of financial success that may not have been considered possible without them or a monthly fee before. It would be a terrible differentiator to eliminate, especially soon. Comet-or-whatever will be the first true test of the model as the first purchase sold back to the entire playerbase.
You get matchmade against better players :p

lt519

BTW patch notes say Xur will trade strange coins for motes of lights for those wondering what to do with strange coins now

this would explain a lot.

if only both of these were patched these guns would be that much more balanced.

Wallach

friends who knos several employees told me last year they canned the entire QA team after launch. is that normal?

Depends on how it was set up. Since Activision is publishing they probably had an enormous contract team that got let go once they went gold.

As far as this new Nightfall stuff... whatever. I feel like it would take a lot design-wise for me to be shocked at this point. I guess there's a chance it isn't supposed to be in the final build. That's probably the angle I'd take, even if it isn't true.

24 hours before launch too. How pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom