• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meek the floating Dreg

I can't see his name and not think of this:

D01KGkJ.png

Mr. Meeseeks from Rick and Morty for those who don't know.

Why is it that I do better in Crucible when alone but play like shit when with Fig and Twilight?

we're matching better players and the main slayers are killing the enemy faster than you. so you rack up more assists and more deaths but dont have the opportunity to get as many kills.

when i play with skilled players, im also at the bottom of the scoreboard.

Arrrammis

Anyone want to key/legendary engram farm with me? (Skywatch or VoG, don't care which)
PSN: Arrrammis

Edit: starting up skywatch, feel free to join in. (I'm talking to YOU! Yes, YOU!)

So how are so many people having gameplay videos of HoW content with this new nightfall debuff thing?

friends and family codes. bungie always gives F&F codes away to outstanding community members for early access to dlc.
i fell out of that circle, otherwise id probably be playing too

Namikaze1

we're matching better players and the main slayers are killing the enemy faster than you. so you rack up more assists and more deaths but dont have the opportunity to get as many kills.

when i play with skilled players, im also at the bottom of the scoreboard.
That doesn't explain Dr Doom the other day!

noomi

If that nightfall change is legitimate and not a bug (like the change to the arkon priest strike recently) then that is ridiculous. Why ruin something that has worked for 8 months? The only major complaints for nightfalls were some of the modifiers on certain strikes (like one shot melee kills with any hive), the rewards (nothing like getting 10 strange coins at the end or 12 shards), and the lack of matchmaking. In fact it really feels that if this change is legitimate, it was Bungie building in an excuse for why matchmaking for nightfall isn't coming. Its now even more punishing than the raids.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Oh yeah, I agree with you on that point. But when I was "desesperate" for a Horn, I would have paid.
My preferred option would have been some sort of "forging" mechanism, asking me to farm for a lot of materials that would be very long to gather, but that would allow me to work toward getting a Horn, or any other exotic.

You see, I get that, but I still wouldn't be a fan. I'd rather see more bounties for exotics.

I do not foresee Activision imposing these things on Bungie. It would be the single fastest way to kill the game; Bungie knows it, and Activision probably knows it. Destiny was profitable on day 1, and is still selling very well (#9 in the UK charts last week, for example). I do expect the DLC model to change going forward, but pay to win will never happen.

I hope so. I wouldn't foresee anything happening until at least Destiny 2, anyway. It would be a case of establishing a solid economy in-game that could then be easily turned into real-world purchases.

I'm completely speculating here but it would be so easy to make a free-to-play Destiny and simply charge you cash for your shards, engrams etc instead of the base game. The game already feels like it's been set up that way, save that large amounts of time investment is needed instead of cash.

This is my day job coming in here but I'd find it interesting to see a forecast model of how Activision would anticipate a free to play Destiny 2 vs a similar model to this one.

(And I know there are plenty of arguments against this - ie the game's biggest asset is probably how invested its player base is and how willing it is to exhaust every single piece of content that is released, I'm just thinking aloud, that's all).

A complete and tangible lack of microtransactions of any kind is vital to the pricing model and value proposition Bungie is employing for this game and its content releases.

Any added beyond the most absolutely cosmetic, to the tune of shaders, emblems and ships, anything affecting gameplay in even the most remote sense, and I'm gone forever, in a heartbeat. Take that for what you will.

It is not an inevitability, and if anything thus far Destiny has proven to Activision a degree of financial success that may not have been considered possible without them or a monthly fee before. It would be a terrible differentiator to eliminate, especially soon. Comet-or-whatever will be the first true test of the model as the first purchase sold back to the entire playerbase.

You get matchmade against better players :p

Yeah. At the moment we pay upfront and then need to put in a huge amount of time at specific times dictated to us. I'm just idly speculating given how other publishers pitch microtransactions as a solution for players who don't have enough time to invest. Destiny would be a prime candidate for that, but on the flipside removing the time investment would effectively make most endgame content redundant after a few weeks - everyone could pay to get to a level to try the raids, for example, and they could run them and if they didn't get what they wanted, they could simply buy a pack of engrams and hope for the best.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how Comet does. Destiny gets a huge amount of negative press, but I actually feel that Bungie made quite a clever and scalable design. I know that player numbers seem high, but GAF is my only gaming forum so I'm not sure how engaged the general public are. Certainly if I was starting out now, I'd find the game quite intimidating.

I'm rambling here, sorry.

nOoblet16

No. Go read the Thorns perks, think for a minute and then post.

The Thorn can do 112 damage and its meant to be that way....

The mystery is so simple.

Funny thing, I never realised Thorn had final round.
And no need for that attitude in the bolded.

Who in the world aims with their TLW? Weirdos.
I am assuming this is a joke because both hip firing and fan firing are situational (Fan firing less so than hip firing). If you read Zoba's tips on TLW he says the same thing.

For anything further than close range you have to aim, simply because your target is much smaller and the recoil would cause you to miss no matter the increased stability while hip firing. That plus the fact that you can't really track a moving enemy well (with a controller) who's mid rage without aiming.

Gala

Anyone up for one Nightfall in about 30 minutes? I still need one and two weeklys and then I would like to jump on one of this venus farm trains ruthless told me about

I think being on GAF is a strike against you. They never acknowledge GAF.

Funny you mention that. I used to be part of the Penny-Arcade Halo community for years, and we used to always bitch about how Bungie always chose gaf content to display for the weekly show off stuff. The highlighted custom games and movies and whatever.

When Bungie finally contacted us and told us we could have a turn, we submitted our best maps. I was super proud of this infection map I had come up with:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=6505498&player=Kor of Memory

Anyway, so the week rolled by and our submissions never went up. The ones before us ended up staying up for 6 weeks. During that 6 weeks Bungie was handing stuff off to 343, and eventually 343 put their own stuff up, skipping over us entirely.

I was pretty bitter about that whole ordeal. Still kind of am, I guess.

8:30 & 9:30 raid teams, what are we doing about PoE this week?

Posting this early so groups can form to play during the day tomorrow, as I know people are taking tomorrow off or are generally available during the day anyway.

Below is the list of last week's raid teams teams and alts. I've added "DAY" and "EVENING" after GAF/PSN names.

Could you please reply to let me know if you'll be playing on release, during the day, in the evening, or whatever combo?

I'll update/sort throughout the day so groups can start forming.

Team 2: 9:30 PM Eastern
1) LTWood12 (PSN LTWOOD12) [story: day; PoE: evening]
2) T-44 (PSN T-44) [story: day; PoE: evening]
3) ich00 (PSN ichabod00) ??
4) kazeshini (PSN rasengan1337) ??
5) Rollo Tomasi (PSN kreepmode) ??
6) Hung Wei Lo (PSN Kinezo) ??
i'd like to do the story during the day too. I'm definitely down for PoE in the evening!

Deku Tree

OMG Bungie needs to be more careful about putting unintended code ideas into their final builds.... This is getting ridiculous.

Did anyone get a Queen's Favor invitation after turning in last bounty?

What is that some kind of RNG invitation like an exotic bounty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom