• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.
How annoying the Nightfall debuff will be is pretty much entirely dependent on if you can stack the infusions or not. If you can, it's not the biggest deal in the world even if it's an unnecessary change. But the way it's set alone alone under a "Blessing" category gives me "Temper of Light" vibes. Curious to see how this shakes out.

EDIT: Just saw the Deej thing. I think it's obvious it wasn't supposed to go up with the patch. The real question is if it's still coming, or if it was a cut idea. Maybe it's something completely different like letting you do Nightfalls more than once lol. Either way, they should probably just let us know. Why keep that a secret after all the other stuff they've let us know about the patch?

mnNljcH.png
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

SgtCobra

In a PVP that OHK supers exist and skill is not a huge factor I don't see what's the problem?
The problem is that the weapon is ridiculously unbalanced, period. A hand cannon with formidable stats and a perk that does damage over time with every first hit is just too much, if a Thorn can win/tie a direct 1 on 1 battle with a LMG without much difficulties then you know there's something wrong.
And how many supers does a player with 100% intellect have in an average game? 4? Your comparison doesn't make sense. Not trying to offend you at all man but everyone who is objective knows that the weapon needs at least a subtle nerf.

I think nerfing thorn would be horrible. Yah it's overpowered in PVP but it's supposed to be. Why not just use it yourself after you finish the bounty?

The bounty is tough as hell in the first place so getting the weapon feels very rewarded once the bounty is complete but nerfing would make people not try getting it. Nerfing it would also be unfair for those who tried hard on the bounty to get it.

Bungie needs to stop nerfing these exotics that are supposed to be overpowered in a multiplayer where so many OHK supers exist.
You're a Thorn user yourself aren't you? I challenge you to stop using that weapon in PvP for a week, you'll see what jett figa and I mean when we say the weapon is OP and a complete buzzkiller in PvP. "If you can't beat them you must join them" is a terrible solution even though it's something I've seen lots of people do unfortunately.
Exotics were supposed to feel overpowered (if that's how you like to call it, I think Bungie said they are supposed to feel "premium and unique" IIRC) sure, but not BE overpowered.

The bounty was, once again, pretty easy to do, remember, mileage may vary. If we're going by your metric that difficult/long bounties should give you OP weapons then the Bad Juju should be a top tier one.
Destiny's PvP shouldn't necessarily be competitive but it should be fun, and a match full of Thorns isn't something I'd call fun. That "Guardians should feel OP" is something I've never heard either but if that's the case then Bungie should give everyone infinite Golden Guns.

I just caught up. I don't like the change for nightfall for at least 4 reasons:

1) The rewards suck as is.
2) Almost takes away solo'ing. Makes it a lot less appealing that's for sure.
3) Spending hard earned mats for an event that was once free to redo. They're almost forcing you to do the weekly if you fail a certain amount of times and have no motes.
4) Punish players who don't play as often

With that being said, if you have TDB you kind of have 3 free chances. Not saying that makes up for it. I can see people raging now during a nightfall wipe. DestinyLFG will go from : "L32 must have all maxed arc weapons" to "must be 32 with all maxed arc weapons and a 100% NF completion rate or lots of motes"

Homeboyd

I just caught up. I don't like the change for nightfall for at least 4 reasons:

1) The rewards suck as is.
2) Almost takes away solo'ing. Makes it a lot less appealing that's for sure.
3) Spending hard earned mats for an event that was once free to redo. They're almost forcing you to do the weekly if you fail a certain amount of times and have no motes.
4) Punish players who don't play as often

With that being said, if you have TDB you kind of have 3 free chances. Not saying that makes up for it. I can see people raging now during a nightfall wipe. DestinyLFG will go from : "L32 must have all maxed arc weapons" to "must be 32 with all maxed arc weapons and a 100% NF completion rate or lots of motes"
It's not a change. Bug. Unintentional.

Trakan

Definitely not easy getting into that circle.

Have been sort of trying for some time.

Not sure if it's any different now than it was back then, but I got a friends and family beta code PM'd to me back in 2007 for Halo 3. I'm not a part of any Bungie community. I just always assumed it was because I had a shit ton of Halo 2 games. (8500)

Maybe it was a mistake.

You're a Thorn user yourself aren't you? I challenge you to stop using that weapon in PvP for a week, you'll see what jett figa and me mean when we say the weapon is OP and a complete buzzkiller in pvp. "If you can't beat them you must join them" is a terrible solution even though it's something I've seen lots of people do unfortunately.
Exotics were supposed to feel overpowered (if that's how you like to call it, I think Bungie said they are supposed to feel "premium and unique" IIRC) sure, but not BE overpowered.

The bounty was, once again, pretty easy to do, remember, mileage may vary. If we're going by your metric that difficult/long bounties should give you OP weapons then the Bad Juju should be a top tier weapon.
Destiny's pvp shouldn't necessarily be competitive but it should be fun, and a mstch full of Thorns isn't something I'd call fun. That "Guardians should feel OP" is something I've never heard either but if that's the case then Bungie should give everyone infinite Golden Guns.

Plus Bungie has been pretty direct about the whole "We don't want 1 gun to be the end all be all solution to PvP. If there isn't variety, then we aren't doing our jobs right."

If you play PvP at the higher levels, not even higher really, but anything above mid levels, you start to see more thorns and hawkmoons than any other primary.

Thus, Bungie isn't living up to their own standards, and you can probably expect a correction to it in the near (read: 3 months) future.

Not sure if it's any different now than it was back then, but I got a friends and family beta code PM'd to me back in 2007 for Halo 3. I'm not a part of any Bungie community. I just always assumed it was because I had a shit ton of Halo 2 games. (8500)

Maybe it was a mistake.

I think it's because I didn't jump on board until Halo 3. It seems most of the Bungie inner circle have been around since Halo 2.

Edit: also realized my link was broken on that last page: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=6505498&player=Kor of Memory

nOoblet16

The problem is that the weapon is ridiculously unbalanced, period. A hand cannon with formidable stats and a perk that does damage over time with every first hit is just too much, if a thorn can win a direct 1 on 1 battle with a LMG without much difficulties then you know there's something wrong.
And how many supers does a player with 100% intellect have in an average game? 4? Your comparison doesn't make sense. Not trying to offend you at all man but everyone who is objective knows that the weapon needs a subtle nerf.

You're a Thorn user yourself aren't you? I challenge you to stop using that weapon in PvP for a week, you'll see what jett figa and me mean when we say the weapon is OP and a complete buzzkiller in pvp. "If you can't beat them you must join them" is a terrible solution even though it's something I've seen lots of people do unfortunately.

The bounty was, once again, pretty easy to do, remember, mileage may vary. If we're going by your metric that difficult/long bounties should give you OP weapons then the Bad Juju should be a top tier weapon.
Destiny's pvp shouldn't necessarily be competitive but it should be fun, and a mstch full of Thorns isn't something I'd call fun. That "Guardians should feel OP" is something I've never heard either but if that's the case then Bungie should give everyone infinite Golden Guns.
If you've got a team of people feeding orbs to each other (and doing it consistently) then you can get 5-6 supers in a match. But usually it's like 3-4 each match.

And yea Thorn is absolutely OP it has far too many advantages and pretty much no disadvantage. It's very hard to battle against in 1v1 situations because of the DoT and audio/visual effect. TLW needs a nerf too but not as much as Thorn.

Also the Thorn bounty isn't really that hard if you play crucible even semi regularly, so the hard to get = ok to be OP explanation isn't very valid (in fact it shouldn't be like that in a first place for non IB PvP where balance should be the priority)

Trakan

So now the question is do I do the bounties on 3 characters to give 3 Queen's favors to my Hunter?

Is it rep? Is it more? Fuck.

Edit: Ah it's a mission item.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
we don't know if it's precisely unintended yet either. All that was said was "Don't panic. Ghosts in the Machine. Investigation underway." The most likely explanation to me is that it's something they may want to implement alongside other changes to the nightfall down the line, and they've started the coding groundwork, but it wasn't supposed to go live and won't be in place during this reset if at all in the next few weeks. try to just wait until we have all the information.

lol at that towel jpg. todays sine wave is something else

replying to the thorn discussion, bad juju is actually a top tier weapon. well, it's close

thorn
the last word
hawkmoon
red death
mythoclast
bad juju

So now the question is do I do the bounties on 3 characters to give 3 Queen's favors to my Hunter?

Is it rep? Is it more? Fuck.
They go in the mission slot so I doubt they can be transferred to other characters. Not sure what they will redeem for though.

patchday

In a PVP that OHK supers exist and skill is not a huge factor I don't see what's the problem?

Destiny's PVP is not something anyone should take seriously. It's not a competitive PVP in any case like Halo was so I don't see any problem of over powered weapons? Destiny is supposed make your gaurdian feel overpowered and use powerful weapons.

Yeah the supers at least almost balance themselves. Since the more skilled players will use their supers more effectively. If the maps were less crappy, a skilled player can even dodge some of the Nova bombs, etc. And the grenades are crazy too

But unbalanced guns just add to the pile and make it unbearable (at least for me). I actually enjoy occasionally booting up Destiny for a few matches a week. But its gotten so bad lately I don't bother entering crucible much. I just boot up an FPS instead.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Also the Thorn bounty isn't really that hard if you play crucible even semi regularly, so the hard to get = ok to be OP explanation isn't very valid (in fact it shouldn't be like that in a first place for non IB PvP where balance should be the priority)
Gotta disagree here. I play Crucible a ton and I'm good at it, too (somewhere above a 2.5 overall K/D), but the Thorn bounty was a huge pain in the ass to me and I eventually gave up on it. If you don't have a Void primary then you're basically screwed. I had Word of Crota, but I'm terrible with hand cannons and could barely get kills with it -- which made me realize I probably shouldn't care about getting Thorn so much anyways, lol.

Edit : I totally misremembered my K/D, lol. It's sitting at 1.70 right now.

vctor182

Plus Bungie has been pretty direct about the whole "We don't want 1 gun to be the end all be all solution to PvP. If there isn't variety, then we aren't doing our jobs right."

If you play PvP at the higher levels, not even higher really, but anything above mid levels, you start to see more thorns and hawkmoons than any other primary.

Thus, Bungie isn't living up to their own standards, and you can probably expect a correction to it in the near (read: 3 months) future.

The Hand Cannon nerf is getting close

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom