• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydruxo

Ooooo I got a House of Wolves legendary in the Crucible!

No damage bubbles and everything!

tumblr_inline_nawa18QWbD1svk9zc.gif

It happened not that long ago with the Archon Priest strike.

Seems like they need to clean up their process a little bit.

I'm guessing we're getting more content at a quicker pace at the cost of the testing level.

What happened with the Priest? I spent like 1 month without playing Destiny. Must have been during that time.

Leave it unannounced
Sees people complaining about it on Reddit before they get to announce it
Announce that it was actually unintentional

z128iKL.jpg

Worst thing is that it actually makes sense... :(

Day 7 reward, yes

Thank you.

Simonnnnn

Gotta disagree here. I play Crucible a ton and I'm good at it, too (somewhere above a 2.5 overall K/D), but the Thorn bounty was a huge pain in the ass to me and I eventually gave up on it. If you don't have a Void primary then you're basically screwed. I had Word of Crota, but I'm terrible with hand cannons and could barely get kills with it -- which made me realize I probably shouldn't care about getting Thorn so much anyways, lol.

I muddled through with my brother for support and a rare void fusion rifle

It sounds like Queens favor is another weekly bonus for doing all the target bounties. Kinda like the weekly nightfall bounty for Eris that rewards motes. I wouldn't expect much more than that. But 1 etheric light would be fucking awesome.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gotta disagree here. I play Crucible a ton and I'm good at it, too (somewhere above a 2.5 overall K/D), but the Thorn bounty was a huge pain in the ass to me and I eventually gave up on it. If you don't have a Void primary then you're basically screwed. I had Word of Crota, but I'm terrible with hand cannons and could barely get kills with it -- which made me realize I probably shouldn't care about getting Thorn so much anyways, lol.
I did it twice exclusively with 77 Wizard, almost all in Rumble (the second time after the fusion rifle nerf in fact). A void primary is not necessary.
I've been playing with mine while farming HoW chests and I've been impressed with it for PvE. The gun had a really bad rep before all the buffs. But it's something special now.
It has been a blast in PvE for a long time and enables some incredible PvE builds. Zoba was saying it is now ensconced in the top tier for PvP as well.

SgtCobra

Plus Bungie has been pretty direct about the whole "We don't want 1 gun to be the end all be all solution to PvP. If there isn't variety, then we aren't doing our jobs right."

If you play PvP at the higher levels, not even higher really, but anything above mid levels, you start to see more thorns and hawkmoons than any other primary.

Thus, Bungie isn't living up to their own standards, and you can probably expect a correction to it in the near (read: 3 months) future.
Exactly, Bungie seriously needs to balance their stuff more/better and leave some other things alone. As much as I love my Hawkmoon if that means that the almighty Thorn gets its buff together with the HM then so be it.

If you've got a team of people feeding orbs to each other (and doing it consistently) then you can get 5-6 supers in a match. But usually it's like 3-4 each match.

And yea Thorn is absolutely OP it has far too many advantages and pretty much no disadvantage. It's very hard to battle against in 1v1 situations because of the DoT and audio/visual effect. TLW needs a nerf too but not as much as Thorn.

Also the Thorn bounty isn't really that hard if you play crucible even semi regularly, so the hard to get = ok to be OP explanation isn't very valid (in fact it shouldn't be like that in a first place for non IB PvP where balance should be the priority)
Totally agreed, the bounty difficulty is way overblown IMO.
lol at that towel jpg. todays sine wave is something else

replying to the thorn discussion, bad juju is actually a top tier weapon. well, it's close

thorn
the last word
hawkmoon
red death
mythoclast
bad juju
I consider top tier to be TLW HM and of course our good friend the Thorn actually haha but the Bad Juju is also a very good weapon if you know how to use it. I prefer it to the Red Death because I can't just seem to make enough kills with that slow firing bad stabilized weapon, it's just not my thing =P

Hoodbury

If you play PvP at the higher levels, not even higher really, but anything above mid levels, you start to see more thorns and hawkmoons than any other primary.

I've seen this referenced now a couple times. What or how do you play at higher levels? Isn't matchmaking all random?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I muddled through with my brother for support and a rare void fusion rifle

I did it twice exclusively with 77 Wizard, almost all in Rumble (the second time after the fusion rifle nerf in fact). A void primary is not necessary.
Huh, weird. I tried it with Word of Crota, Praedyth's Revenge, and a Prudence II and barely made progress on it. Plus having to use a hand cannon in PvP made it no fun for me since I suck with those so bad. And I tried it after special weapon ammo drops got reduced, so that made it even harder.

If you've got a team of people feeding orbs to each other (and doing it consistently) then you can get 5-6 supers in a match. But usually it's like 3-4 each match.

And yea Thorn is absolutely OP it has far too many advantages and pretty much no disadvantage. It's very hard to battle against in 1v1 situations because of the DoT and audio/visual effect. TLW needs a nerf too but not as much as Thorn.

Also the Thorn bounty isn't really that hard if you play crucible even semi regularly, so the hard to get = ok to be OP explanation isn't very valid (in fact it shouldn't be like that in a first place for non IB PvP where balance should be the priority)

The Thorn bounty is tough if you try to play out of your element. if you find a decent Void special and heavy, you just have to stay positive for 10-20 games. Perhaps it goes by quicker if you have Word of Crota or Atheon's Epilogue so long as you don't die a bunch of times, but I don't see that going too well with the current meta game.

Anything that isn't in the top 5-10 weapons is basically obsolete.

Thorn either needs a lower mag again and/or a DoT change (proc only on headshots or low health opponents)
The Last Word needs 111 glitch patched
Hawkmoon's fine
Red Death's fine
Mythoclast needs better visual feedback and less body shot damage

Once you pass mid-level, these are the only weapons you see. Once you get to high level, it's only Thorn and TLW. And a step above that is only Thorn, Felwinter's Lie and Bladedancers.

So ppl can farm the end chest? Makes sense.

Farm the keys, so you can farm the end chest.

Am I the only one seeing a problem here?

Noup, since the keys are just a re roll token to get loot but the important loot is locked after the first completition. Bungie have to bound the key to your character if not you will see people farming keys then pass it to the character they need and that would be a problem

Nah, I think it's a good idea. Gives you more reason to run PoE more than once a week. I don't think you'll be able to farm keys efficiently enough for it to be ALL you do all week.

hydruxo

You can only use one key per PoE run. So say you get a key on the level 32 PoE mode, then you use a key at the end of that run. You can run level 32 again and use one of your extra keys. You can farm the chests as long as you have keys, BUT you still have to complete the whole mode again each time.

patchday

Edit : I totally misremembered my K/D, lol. It's sitting at 1.70 right now.

I found the Thorn bounty easy but I had all void weapons- primary, secondary, and heavy.

Still don't have the Thorn cause I've sat on the bounty til the dlc hits. Want it to land at 365 if possible.

Rainmaker

Banned
It was a pain as someone who didn't play Crucible a lot at the time but I ended getting through the PvP part of the Thorn bounty using only a void Light/Beware. Getting through that and Xyor really felt like an accomplishment.

I love Thorn because of that feeling of hard work paying off (plus it really feels like a special gun) but I do get why people don't like it in PvP even though I use it there a decent amount because it's fun. I'd hate for it to get nerfed in PvE though but it'll happen.

SgtCobra

Huh, weird. I tried it with Word of Crota, Praedyth's Revenge, and a Prudence II and barely made progress on it. Plus having to use a hand cannon in PvP made it no fun for me since I suck with those so bad. And I tried it after special weapon ammo drops got reduced, so that made it even harder.
I used Atheon's Epilogue, the Suros MKB-51 and the Truth coupled with those sticky Titan grenades, bounty went pretty fast that way.

I find the Mythoclast very disorienting to be hit by personally, for sure. I can tell that's what it is, but it just messes me up.

Hawkmoon is balanced as shit damnit! :[

I agree with this. Getting hit with the Vex is like getting hit by a truck. I sometimes feel like I get stun locked

Lnkn52

So Rahool's brother, Loohar?

Master Ives, Cryptarch

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ARRIVING GUARDIANS:
PLEASE NOTE: The Tower Cryptography operates under many false beliefs.
By the Queen’s mercy, the Reef Cryptography will educate you on the true nature of encryption, if you so desire.
In ancient times, Earthlings thought there were three states of matter. We now know there to be four: solid, liquid, gas and engram. Of these, the engram is the purest state of matter.
The role of the Cryptarchy is to encrypt and safeguard civilization’s informational infrastructure, not to decrypt anything and everything for any lowdown scavenger who happens upon an engram.

I consider top tier to be TLW HM and of course our good friend the Thorn actually haha but the Bad Juju is also a very good weapon if you know how to use it. I prefer it to the Red Death because I can't just seem to make enough kills with that slow firing bad stabilized weapon, it's just not my thing =P

Red Death is the anti Thorn. It throws off your aim and saves you from the DoT.

If all guns were good for fighting in the air, I wouldn't mind using Red Death. Once you get used to mobility though, it's hard to give up TLW.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't use sniper rifles in the Crucible by any stretch whatsoever so I don't have much ability to advise in that category, since you named two. A void shotgun or fusion would be a much more straightforward, and Corrective Measure would give you the biggest advantage toward doing it of any item in the game IMO.

Svartnatt

I managed to complete the PVP Thorn bounty without a void primary where Invective was my savior. Had to forego how I usually play and concentrate on getting the best K/D possible while only using Invective. Took several days to do it, but believe me, it's worth it.

Thorn is my favorite hand cannon in the game. Hawkmoon just dropped for me and I'm giving it a whirl and getting used to it so I can't pass final judgment yet, but Thorn has given me a huge boost in PVP. I love that thing.

SgtCobra

Red Death is the anti Thorn. It throws off your aim and saves you from the DoT.

If all guns were good for fighting in the air, I wouldn't mind using Red Death. Once you get used to mobility though, it's hard to give up TLW.
Thanks for the tip, I really really reaaally need to learn how to use it, skilled players seem to wreck shit in PvP.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I used Atheon's Epilogue, the Suros MKB-51 and the Truth coupled with those sticky Titan grenades, bounty went pretty fast that way.
I totally woulda used AE if I had it. I don't play PvP with my Titan much, but if I she ever gets the Thorn bounty I'll definitely give it another shot.

I don't use sniper rifles in the Crucible by any stretch whatsoever so I don't have much ability to advise in that category, since you named two. A void shotgun or fusion would be a much more straightforward, and Corrective Measure would give you the biggest advantage toward doing it of any item in the game IMO.
Oops, I thought Prudence was a machine gun. I'm not sure what gun I'm thinking of... Anyhoo, I usually use snipers over shotguns, except for on the smallest maps. That's been changing, though, since I've been trying out an agility focused PvP build and using MIDA as my primary. It's shotguns 90% of the time now.

ich00

8:30 & 9:30 raid teams, what are we doing about PoE this week?

I'm still not 100% sure what I'll be doing. I may have the day off, so story content might be done. If not if I can jump in on a PoE run with someone I would be totally up for that. So I'll go with saying maybe story in the day and down for PoE at night.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I love the shit of of Red Death. I love the sensation of getting into a chaotic 2v1 at range and realizing that you actually have the advantage because you know at least one of them will get killed and trigger the regen. My biggest problem with it is being too aggressive because of how confident it can make you feel after a couple of "near deaths." Really easy to keep it equipped while running into what I'd call "Felwinter's range."
I totally woulda used AE if I had it. I don't play PvP with my Titan much, but if I she ever gets the Thorn bounty I'll definitely give it another shot.

Oops, I thought Prudence was a machine gun. I'm not sure what gun I'm thinking of... Anyhoo, I usually use snipers over shotguns, except for on the smallest maps. That's been changing, though, since I've been trying out an agility focused PvP build and using MIDA as my primary. It's shotguns 90% of the time now.
Ah, Prestige IV most likely
I managed to complete the PVP Thorn bounty without a void primary where Invective was my savior. Had to forego how I usually play and concentrate on getting the best K/D possible while only using Invective. Took several days to do it, but believe me, it's worth it.

Thorn is my favorite hand cannon in the game. Hawkmoon just dropped for me and I'm giving it a whirl and getting used to it so I can't pass final judgment yet, but Thorn has given me a huge boost in PVP. I love that thing.
You must be thinking of something else. Invective is solar.

The problem is that the weapon is ridiculously unbalanced, period. A hand cannon with formidable stats and a perk that does damage over time with every first hit is just too much, if a Thorn can win/tie a direct 1 on 1 battle with a LMG without much difficulties then you know there's something wrong.
And how many supers does a player with 100% intellect have in an average game? 4? Your comparison doesn't make sense. Not trying to offend you at all man but everyone who is objective knows that the weapon needs at least a subtle nerf.

You're a Thorn user yourself aren't you? I challenge you to stop using that weapon in PvP for a week, you'll see what jett figa and I mean when we say the weapon is OP and a complete buzzkiller in PvP. "If you can't beat them you must join them" is a terrible solution even though it's something I've seen lots of people do unfortunately.
Exotics were supposed to feel overpowered (if that's how you like to call it, I think Bungie said they are supposed to feel "premium and unique" IIRC) sure, but not BE overpowered.

The bounty was, once again, pretty easy to do, remember, mileage may vary. If we're going by your metric that difficult/long bounties should give you OP weapons then the Bad Juju should be a top tier one.
Destiny's PvP shouldn't necessarily be competitive but it should be fun, and a match full of Thorns isn't something I'd call fun. That "Guardians should feel OP" is something I've never heard either but if that's the case then Bungie should give everyone infinite Golden Guns.

Thorn doesn't need a nerf imo. If anything drop the clip size to 6.

If the DoT was refreshed with each hit then yeah I could see why that would be overpowered but it doesn't.

The other HC's perform just as well as the Thorn. They arguably have a quicker TTK when the rng works in their favour. The Thorn is more about putting people under pressure, making them panic and then finishing them off or letting your team mates do so.

I've not properly used my Thorn for a while in Crucible, I've been using my Vex instead and that thing wrecks if you know how to use it properly.

I love the shit of of Red Death. I love the sensation of getting into a chaotic 2v1 at range and realizing that you actually have the advantage because you know at least one of them will get killed and trigger the regen. My biggest problem with it is being too aggressive because of how confident it can make you feel after a couple of "near deaths." Really easy to keep it equipped while running into what I'd call "Felwinter's range."

yup that's why i gave up on it. It's great for mid-long range but not the best for being up close in the action.

nOoblet16

When I did it I had no void primary so I had to do it with Swordbreaker and Truth. But this was back when special ammo wasn't this scarce and killing enemies with heavy would drop heavy ammo.

Well these pics kinda suck, but luckily I took one of the 'Reforge Ready' bubble that should be unique to Hose of Wolves stuff. I'll try and get a better pic, sorry for potato quality.

mMigRBQ.jpg

INVITE ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom