• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighOnPCP

Soo...I haven't played PvP in months honestly.

what the fuck did they do with shotguns? they are just....OP?
fucking ridiculously good?
not even fair anymore?! like what???

bungie?

PuMa

I have come to the conclusion that I suck with Handcannons that aren't Fatebringer and Hawkmoon. And in these past rounds, I have gotten more kills with Vex than I did with TLW, Thorn, and Fatebringer. Hawkmoon still remains king for me.

Are you just trying Vex in crucible for the first time or something?

I'm staying here, I'm afraid of gaming side destiny threads.

It's safe here *hugs ot21*

It's OK baby bird. Eventually you will have to leave the nest.

Gaming side is safe:

the-facebook-riots-of-2014.jpg

Fuck me, never mind. Stay here it is safer.

border

bungie?

Shotguns were always really good in PVP.

I don't think they changed the rules of how they work, but they simply made a couple shotguns with crazy-good range readily available through Iron Banner and Vanguard (Felwinter's Lie, Secret Handshake).

So basically, you need two forms of RNG now to get something out of the PoE chests?

Form 1 being the keys from the bounty chests and then form 2 being the actual PoE chests themselves?

I am totally screwed. I have been farming chests and still not a single treasure key.

I've updated the latest patch notes. Let me know how we'e going to handle it for tomorrow's reveal.

i think we should split the patch notes into two groups starting with the newest first. it should cutoff post-dark below and the older stuff can be linked in another post.

ill try to reserve the first two posts after the OP, but itd be a bit too scrolltacular (and somewhat pretentious) if all of the notes are after the OP.

noomi

It's OK baby bird. Eventually you will have to leave the nest.

Gaming side is safe:

the-facebook-riots-of-2014.jpg

Fuck me, never mind. Stay here it is safer.

Lol! Seriously though.... whenever destiny threads come up, it always end up being a fight about match making and we all flock over there to defend it and it just spirals out of control.

I like it here, being amongst my DGAF brothers and sisters.

Zoba's HoW thread is really good though, nice work Zoba!

noomi

So basically, you need two forms of RNG now to get something out of the PoE chests?

Form 1 being the keys from the bounty chests and then form 2 being the actual PoE chests themselves?

I am totally screwed. I have been farming chests and still not a single treasure key.

The keys from farming aren't necessary, they will be used for extra chances at loot. You can still get loot without them.

You will still get a key to open treasure chests after completing a PoE arena challenge.... as far as I know...

rNilla

I'm not sure about all loot but at least some loot, including weapons, can be purchased directly from the PoE vendor so you can get what you want. Who knows about the rest since Bungie has kept the treasure aspect a complete mystery.

nOoblet16

bungie?

They haven't really touched anything, the shotgun buff was for PvE only.
What happened was Felwinter Lie being sold in IB and then available as a drop in the next one.

not everyone :/

You and I, we are a special kind of fail when it comes to not having the horn yet.

Your right I am sorry. But we are better for it. I honestly believe it, we have to come up with interesting ways to take care of situations. Never do we just pull the horn out and problem is solved.

noomi

Is it weird that I'm going to prepare lunch for tomorrow so that I can play more...

It's totally weird isn't it?

I.... I think I have a problem....

nOoblet16

You and I, we are a special kind of fail when it comes to not having the horn yet.

Your right I am sorry. But we are better for it. I honestly believe it, we have to come up with interesting ways to take care of situations. Never do we just pull the horn out and problem is solved.

We got them badonkadonks, no need for horn.
When would you be available to play Borderlands ?

Lnkn52

From Planet Destiny:

Prison of Elders Treasure Key Guide
“What does it unlock?”
There are multiple chests in the Treasure room, and only one requires a Treasure Key to unlock. This ultimate chest will have the chance at rewarding Exotics, Legendary Queen gear, Fallen-themed cosmetics, Strange Coins, & Motes of Light.
The smaller chests, which do not require anything to unlock, have the chance at rewarding Armor Cores, Strange Coins, and Motes of Light.

Ahh okay thanks :)

Really? Link.

https://twitter.com/POTUS

I've got a Thorn bounty I'm about to complete. Would it be stupid to get it now before the DLC drops? I know last DLC you had to upgrade your pre-DLC weapons to DLC standards. Is that likely to happen here?

I've got a Thorn bounty I'm about to complete. Would it be stupid to get it now before the DLC drops? I know last DLC you had to upgrade your pre-DLC weapons to DLC standards. Is that likely to happen here?

This is a great question, I could not find the answer to it so I just turned my Thorn bounty in yesterday.

Waiting less than a day can't hurt if you don't already have it.

Rogosh

It's weird, anytime I see somebody bringing up the Thorn bounty they mostly talk about the pvp section of the bounty, but I'm really struggling with getting to & killing Xyor the unwed. Perhaps it's a gear issue, or a skill issue maybe, but I'm not able to solo it on my level 29 warlock. Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

vctor182

Like hawkian said, Thorn's problem is that it doesn't have any drawbacks. Everything else is more or less balanced in some way with a tradeoff.

It has 2 drawbacks but you can make up for one thanks to the 2nd line of perks so it can either be it's range or balance and 90% of thorn users go for balance because without it they can't land precision hits. By sacrificing range they become more vulnerable to Hawkmoon, Scout rifles and some pulse rifles like Red Death and 3LW. Hawkmoon is more OP, 13 shots, 3 shots with 33% more dmg and can/may be stacked, high impact, best range, artificial stability thanks to low fire rate.

It's weird, anytime I see somebody bringing up the Thorn bounty they mostly talk about the pvp section of the bounty, but I'm really struggling with getting to & killing Xyor the unwed. Perhaps it's a gear issue, or a skill issue maybe, but I'm not able to solo it on my level 29 warlock. Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

PSN: CthulhuSars

Message me. Lets get this gun for you. I am a professional at this part of the bounty!

noomi

I would imagine that if you complete the bounty after HoW patch hits tomorrow it would be the 365dmg version as opposed to the 331dmg version today.

I would wait.

This way you won't have to ascend it, and spend glimmer, weapon parts & an exotic shard tomorrow.

SgtCobra

I don't always use my thorn though. In PVP I switch between Last word, thorn, Vex or red death. You just gotta learn how to play against thorn users. I have defeated many thorn users one on one with my last word, vex or red death. It's not like the weapon is a two shot kill on body. Getting head shots with it still require skill....

I don't take destinys PVP seriously enough to warrant them to nerf weapons. IMO thorn would not be a issue of the Auto rifles never got nerfed. Actually leave all exotics alone... It's why they are tough bounties and drops because they are supposed to be over powered. I worked hard for my tough to get weapons and I don't want them nerfed. I was pissed that they nerfed the vex because at the time, it was not an easy weapon to obtain and still can be a tough drop for some on VOG hM.

The thorn bounty was a bitch to go through so yes I want to be able to go into PVP and abuse it. It's not like the gun is a drop like a ghallajorn or hawkmoon. Everyone at a time can get the bounty and earn it themselves but don't penalize those who earned it by nerfing it. If they want to do that, make destiny PVP barebones as in don't allow supers, armor abilities, weapon abilities and all the other things that make the PVP so niche.
The weapon has no drawbacks and requires minimal skill to ensure that you have some nice results, it's as easy as that. Headshots are piss easy to make and the DoT coupled with the range gives the weapon an advantage the other exotic HC don't have.

I don't get why some people keep using the "it was a bounty and not a drop" argument, the game is based on RNG, sometimes you're lucky with a drop and sometimes you aren't. I've received plenty of opportunities to do the bounty, way more than I received a HM or GH.

Your reasoning for not nerfing the Thorn is (if I understand it correctly): "I've worked hard for it so I deserve to use it like it is now, even if the weapon is way too strong, if you want to nerf it then remove supers, armors and weapon abilities because that's the only way to make things fair?"
You have to see it from an objective stance which you clearly aren't, I get that you enjoy using it and once again, I'm not trying to offend you or something but the weapon has its problems and the majority of the PVP playerbase knows that. I can't get why people can say with a straight face that the weapon couldn't use something like a simple range/impact/stability/magazine nerf.

vctor182

If you turn it in now then you'll need 2 exotic shards instead of one to max the dmg

nOoblet16

It won't work like last time, I will imagine the way it will work is that you simply use an exotic shard to ascend it to 365, since they have completely done away with the damage upgrade bubbles. So what I've been doing is that putting in XP but not actually upgrading anything. That way when the upgrade tree changes tomorrow I can upgrade it to max using only one exotic shard rather than two. (I am assuming this is how it will work) since I won't be required to use an exotic shard to hit 331 anymore.

Stantron

I have several vanguard and crucible faction packages at my postmaster.
I know that if I open them now I will potentially get commendations which can be used to rank up vanguard/factions after HoW drops. I assume those commendations won't drop for future packages obtained in HoW but maybe instead, they will just give you the same xp when they get opened.
On the other hand, if I wait, maybe I will get new HoW gear from the packages. Or not, if it works like the new engrams.

If I want to optimize my rewards/xp, should I open the packages now to get commendations (which may not drop after HoW), or should I save them to get a little xp bonus for new HoW gear?

It has 2 drawbacks but you can make up for one thanks to the 2nd line of perks so it can either be it's range or balance and 90% of thorn users go for balance because without it they can't land precision hits. By sacrificing range they become more vulnerable to Hawkmoon, Scout rifles and some pulse rifles like Red Death and 3LW. Hawkmoon is more OP, 13 shots, 3 shots with 33% more dmg and can/may be stacked, high impact, best range, artificial stability thanks to low fire rate.

Hawkmoon has a slower rate of fire and slower kill time and only a 23% chance for the random bullets to proc. It's a good weapon, but ever since its range was nerfed it has been outpaced by Thorn both in range and DPS because of the guaranteed DoT.

Thorn with aggressive ballistic crits kills me with two shots every time even after boosting my armor up. Maybe most people are using perfect balance, but simply switching to send it will make those crits at range that much easier to land.

We're really just playing a numbers and anecdote game here though. The weapons are all similar on paper, but it comes down to who uses it and how they're using it. I guarantee that the weapon will be nerfed next month following Trials of Osiris.

edit: spreadsheet for those who didn't see when i posted it a few days ago

5acf43ad489f8cd45587ebad95c4462d.png

GhaleonEB

A separate OT from this one?

Whaaaaaa?

Which one are we supposed to use starting tomorrow when HoW hits?

I would rather stay here...

You can post in which ever one you wish; the community threads will be ongoing. But expansions or major DLC getting their own Gaming thread is normal. Similar to "new news, new thread" when it comes to megathreads, a dedicated discussion for a major expansion of a game is appropriate.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is wrong. Or if you're right about 90% of thorn users, 90% are doing it wrong.

Thorn with Send It has more range than Hawkmoon. You cannot control the application of Hawkmoon's extra damage. I don't even know where to start with "artificial stability thanks to low fire rate." You should be aiming every shot with either gun, and Thorn's higher RoF is an advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom