• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure about all loot but at least some loot, including weapons, can be purchased directly from the PoE vendor so you can get what you want. Who knows about the rest since Bungie has kept the treasure aspect a complete mystery.

Yeah, whatever dude. You don't know what you're talking about. Stop day-drinking on a Monday.

You gonna be on tomorrow night for some HoW action?

nOoblet16

It has 2 drawbacks but you can make up for one thanks to the 2nd line of perks so it can either be it's range or balance and 90% of thorn users go for balance because without it they can't land precision hits. By sacrificing range they become more vulnerable to Hawkmoon, Scout rifles and some pulse rifles like Red Death and 3LW. Hawkmoon is more OP, 13 shots, 3 shots with 33% more dmg and can/may be stacked, high impact, best range, artificial stability thanks to low fire rate.

Thorn has the highest range out of any HC and it has the highest aim assist, plus it rewards spamming body shots (this is an important thing to note). It is the easiest top tier weapon to use as it gives you the largest margin for error. Hawkmoon is not more OP because those three shots have a factor of randomness, honestly all of this has been discussed to death by now.

Any brave adventurers want to help one more Gaffer get Thorn?

I know you all love the gun so much and are anticipating one more person having it! At the last part to take out Space Ninja Witch.

rNilla

Yeah, whatever dude. You don't know what you're talking about. Stop day-drinking on a Monday.

You gonna be on tomorrow night for some HoW action?

Shhhh, don't reveal my secrets!

I'll be on tomorrow during launch and then hopefully again later in the evening.

Is it possible to get shot package rolled on Felwinter's? I swear a guy picked me off with one shot from 12'+ away.

Of course!

This is my baby.

ybWUJfa.png

I appreciate all the different responses about Thorn (well . . . most). Seems like Robinson and I really started a fire here.

One thing to consider: when I first started playing Crucible before I even reached level 20 with my first character, it wasn't Thorn or TLW that bothered me. It was Hawkmoon. I didn't understand how a gun could kill me with 2 shots. It seemed unfair. I knew about Luck in the Chamber, but I didn't know about Holding Aces (the perk that adds more lucky bullets). If those 2 perks proc consecutively, it's over.

You can say what you want about Thorn, but please don't kid yourself about the bounty. It's not easy. Maybe if you played 500 hours of Call of Duty, but for those of us who didn't, using a shitty void primary and praying to your personal divinity that you get some heavy kills is a fucking grind, especially for those of us who did it on a hunter with no void grenades, melee, or super. I would never want to do that again. So, the reward should be sweet.

Then there's Hawkmoon. How much skill does it take to get this gun? I was playing with this total newb this past weekend who made us take over an hour to get through the Gorgon Maze. And he pulled a Hawkmoon from the chest! Then he said he didn't even want it and only cared about the Vex. Anyone can land a Hawkmoon through RNG luck, unlock the 2 perks, and pray for RNG goodness. At least with Thorn you have to complete a bounty that is very hard to cheese and has to be done alone.

image.jpg

Wallach

I have several vanguard and crucible faction packages at my postmaster.
I know that if I open them now I will potentially get commendations which can be used to rank up vanguard/factions after HoW drops. I assume those commendations won't drop for future packages obtained in HoW but maybe instead, they will just give you the same xp when they get opened.
On the other hand, if I wait, maybe I will get new HoW gear from the packages. Or not, if it works like the new engrams.

If I want to optimize my rewards/xp, should I open the packages now to get commendations (which may not drop after HoW), or should I save them to get a little xp bonus for new HoW gear?

Packages that are already in your Postmaster inventory shouldn't reward HoW gear. The only reason I say "shouldn't" is because the HoW weapons seem to be in the PvP inventory, so it is possible that if you earn a package today that it will be the HoW versions of the packages, but we don't know yet.

If they have been in the Postmaster prior to today's patch, they will be TDB packages and won't have HoW loot on their tables. That said, that should also mean that they will contain Commendations even after HoW goes live, so it is probably safe to save them anyway and use the XP to level some of the new gear you'll get tomorrow.*

* - I take no responsibility for what actually happens whatever you decide to do

Nuszka

Is it weird that I'm going to prepare lunch for tomorrow so that I can play more...

It's totally weird isn't it?

I.... I think I have a problem....

You better get them sorted and make sure you complete your rectal expulsion(defecate, shit, do no 2 ,discharge) before we hit our marathon.

noomi

I've had the Thorn back when it sucked....

Had to use Atheons Epilogue to get the crucible bounty done, and I had to run around a planet for hours to get the upgrade mats for it.

I've earned that fucker, and I'm glad it's a strong weapon now....

I'm doing the same for dinner.

You better get them sorted and make sure you complete your rectal expulsion(defecate, shit, do no 2 ,discharge) before we hit our marathon.

hahaha, great minds think alike. Need to wine and dine the wife tonight so I can get away with playing for two days lol.

I appreciate all the different responses about Thorn (well . . . most). Seems like Robinson and I really started a fire here.

One thing to consider: when I first started playing Crucible before I even reached level 20 with my first character, it wasn't Thorn or TLW that bothered me. It was Hawkmoon. I didn't understand how a gun could kill me with 2 shots. It seemed unfair. I knew about Luck in the Chamber, but I didn't know about Holding Aces (the perk that adds more lucky bullets). If those 2 perks proc consecutively, it's over.

You can say what you want about Thorn, but please don't kid yourself about the bounty. It's not easy. Maybe if you played 500 hours of Call of Duty, but for those of us who didn't, using a shitty void primary and praying to your personal divinity that you get some heavy kills is a fucking grind, especially for those of us who did it on a hunter with no void grenades, melee, or super. I would never want to do that again. So, the reward should be sweet.

Then there's Hawkmoon. How much skill does it take to get this gun? I was playing with this total newb this past weekend who made us take over an hour to get through the Gorgon Maze. And he pulled a Hawkmoon from the chest! Then he said he didn't even want it and only cared about the Vex. Anyone can land a Hawkmoon through RNG luck, unlock the 2 perks, and pray for RNG goodness. At least with Thorn you have to complete a bounty that is very hard to cheese and has to be done alone.

image.jpg

Thorn is one of the first weapons revealed for Destiny along with Gjallarhorn, SGA, Fate of All Fools and the Pocket Infinity, so it has a long history with the game. You're absolutely right that the bounty is tough (i had to do it again recently) and it deserves a fitting reward.

As much as I'm biased against it from seeing it abused so much in Crucible, I'm not saying it should be nerfed to oblivion like the Mythoclast once was. I just think it needs checks and balances to be brought in line with the rest of the weapons. There's really no drawback to using it in PvP right now.

Skirmish, not Salvage. :)

And there's a timer for how long you have to wait to revive someone that increases with each revive. I think it maxes out at 13 seconds or something like that.

It's pretty sneaky.

It caps at the 3rd death/revive. The timer you have to wait to revive is 1 second less than the timer that auto respawns. So basically, if you aren't already on the ghost and holding down the button, you're going to miss the revive chance.

image.jpg

Pls.

I've never played CoD or Battlefield (okay I think I played like 5 matches of BF3 because it was free on PS+), so don't pretend like you have to be some shooter pro to be able to get the Thorn bounty done.

Wallach

Wonder what the Queen's Favor reward from today is going to be once we can claim it in the Reef tomorrow?

My guess is it'll be the HoW intro/freebie package, similar to the one we got at the Postmaster when TDB launched (the one that had a couple blue pieces of gear, ascendant materials, and black wax idols).

Thorn is one of the first weapons revealed for Destiny along with Gjallarhorn, Fate of All Fools and the Pocket Infinity, so it has a long history with the game. You're absolutely right that the bounty is tough (i had to do it again recently) and it deserves a fitting reward.

As much as I'm biased against it from seeing it abused so much in Crucible, I'm not saying it should be nerfed to oblivion like the Mythoclast once was. I just think it needs checks and balances to be brought in line with the rest of the weapons. There's really no drawback to using it in PvP right now.

Exactly. The closest thing to a drawback it has is it's clip size/reload time, but due to the range it has, you can stay at such a safe distance and duck around a corner to reload.

So the weapon negates it's own downside by default.

I dunno, I'm still of the opinion that Hand Cannons need to have a closer damage fall off range. I hate that I get into long distance fights with hand cannon users when I'm using my scout rifle. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

SkylineRKR

Thorn is for sure the hardest gun to get. The others pale in comparison. 25 kill/assist spread for Invective was laughable, I got it after 2 games. Bad Juju takes long, but you'll hit those 25 if you do weekly stuff only as well. Crucible has no penalty, just play.

Thorn however, wow. I couldn't use supers, no melee (Hunter) and I couldn't really go negative. I had to use Atheon (shit), Final Rest II (great roll, probably gonna ascend this baby) and CM/Truth (OP) and basically play my best (and I did become better) and actually did get it within 10 games. And then there is the Strike which I couldn't solo, I needed help from someone who already had Fatebringer.

But in hindsight, I think Thorn was the most fun bounty. It asked for a different approach, and was challenging to boot.

Deku Tree

image.jpg

Thorn bounty is harder than it used to be with the special ammo nerf and the auto rifle AR ill give you that... But I got all the exotic bounties done and Thorn was one of the first and I am not good at Crucible at all and I never played CoD or any PvP really before Destiny. I did it mostly with the old Vanguard fusion rifle in Void.

hydruxo

Wonder what the Queen's Favor reward from today is going to be once we can claim it in the Reef tomorrow?

The description just says its an invitation to meet with Petra in the Reef or something to that effect, so I don't think it'll give us anything much, if anything. Maybe a class item, or an XP boost on Queens Wrath bounties for the week.

Exactly. The closest thing to a drawback it has is it's clip size/reload time, but due to the range it has, you can stay at such a safe distance and duck around a corner to reload.

So the weapon negates it's own downside by default.

I dunno, I'm still of the opinion that Hand Cannons need to have a closer damage fall off range. I hate that I get into long distance fights with hand cannon users when I'm using my scout rifle. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

hand cannon reload gloves make that a non-issue.

rather than make them weaker at range, they should just lower the aim assist. you'd be killing two birds with one stone (well 3 birds including hawkmoon) and wont be making the weapons less powerful.

it'd bother me too if i can't engage a scout rifle user at all because my gun can't even kill from that far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom