• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyne

It can have the best range but then it becomes very inaccurate at the distance.
Time to hit the Vault of Glass my friend! There's a newbie raid on Thursday night EST if you are interested.

I am still definitely interested if the sign ups are open :0

Axoman

So I haven't been following the finer details of how the new stuff upgrades. I know a lot of resource costs are being lowered, but are they doing away with Ascendant materials? If so, will pre-HoW gear still have the same resource costs and continue to require them (and only adding the Ascend option)?

Going forward, the only items that will require ascendant materials are raid items and any other pre-HoW legendary gear you may have. Whether or not they have to be fully leveled to ascend, I don't think we know for sure.

New legendary armor and weapons will have one damage/light level upgrade bubble that requires Etheric light and some glimmer and materials.

So I did Vault of Glass yesterday by way of picking a group through LFG. It was a process, and hilariously stupid mistakes were made as we bungled our way juggling the LFG website, phone app, and PS4 messaging and party system along with Destiny's fire team management before somehow getting our group together after 35 minutes or so.

Out of our six, only three had mics though NAT issues killed one of those about 20 minutes in. Two players dropped out after we reached the stealth section, and one of our friends managed to join up before the end boss and helped see us through to the end.

All in all it was a fantastic time, with some tough challenges. Looking back the only part of VoG that actively pissed me off were all of the exploding Hydras - they felt like a chaos factor that we couldn't entirely avoid. But our persistence paid off.

Now I can say I fully 100% understand the need for people to have mics. I get it now.

I still want raid matchmaking support with filters though. No part of that LFG experience was any better than matchmaking, but far worse in many other ways. We didn't end up with more invested players, we ended up with whoever was available, only with more hoops to jump through.

All you guys wanting to nerf Thorn are scaring me. Leave it be. It's no better than Hawkmoon or TLW. It was a garbage tier weapon that is now a worthy alternative to any of the exotic HC's mentioned above.

Pls stahp.

It wasn't garbage though. Bad Juju is the real rags-to-riches story. Thorn + reload gloves or chain of woe was a formidable weapon wielded only by those who knew of its power.

I was too busy chasing the meta with Suros and Mythoclast to commit to it at the time, but i found some posts i made about it.

november 3rd a month before thorn was buffed:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=136937479&highlight=thorn#post136937479

"hory shet

thorn is amazing in pvp"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=137154466&highlight=thorn#post137154466

Going forward, the only items that will require ascendant materials are raid items and any other pre-HoW legendary gear you may have. Whether or not they have to be fully leveled to ascend, I don't think we know for sure.

New legendary armor and weapons will have one damage/light level upgrade bubble that requires Etheric light and some glimmer and materials.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Deku Tree

It wasn't garbage though. Bad Juju is the real rags-to-riches story. Thorn + reload gloves or chain of woe was a formidable weapon wielded only by those who knew of its power.

I was too busy chasing the meta with Suros and Mythoclast to commit to it at the time, but i found some posts i made about it.

november 3rd a month before thorn was buffed:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=136937479&highlight=thorn#post136937479

"hory shet

thorn is amazing in pvp"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=137154466&highlight=thorn#post137154466

I like Cuco's follow up posts from back then

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=136937680

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I absolutely adore this game, I really do. But sometimes I'm baffled by the 'no content' meme. I've got a couple of hours to play tonight and I'm like I want to do some bounties...no strikes I've not done strikes for ages...no, daily heroic...no, crucible....argh.

I envy you students who can put in the mega hours. Enjoy it while it lasts! As soon as I log on properly I'll know that I have to get to bed at a sensible hour because I've got a conference call first thing in the morning.

TheOddOne

Oh man. Did my first Nightfall yesterday (along with my first complete Vault of Glass run woot!), but we did wipe once and have to restart it before steeling ourselves for the win. Would suck if the game would have kicked us when we were already down.
Congrats on your first Nightfall and VoG.

I wonder if they will add matchmaking to Nightfall, but to offset people just leaving in the middle of it they introduce that penalty system. Normal player formed groups however are exempt from that system.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

patchday

I absolutely adore this game, I really do. But sometimes I'm baffled by the 'no content' meme. I've got a couple of hours to play tonight and I'm like I want to do some bounties...no strikes I've not done strikes for ages...no, daily heroic...no, crucible....argh.

I envy you students who can put in the mega hours. Enjoy it while it lasts! As soon as I log on properly I'll know that I have to get to bed at a sensible hour because I've got a conference call first thing in the morning.

well lack of content topic has been beaten to death so what I'm going to type here isn't anything new. But pve.... We're just shooting the same mobs and the same bosses. Whether its a 'strike', bounty, or heroic.

Crucible- I'm fine with shooting folks. But again, we're not getting no original fresh modes

I kinda want to say they're not doing anything new but just modeling new guns and armors. They know how to toss carrots out there. But they have extreme difficulty introducing anything more

Impala26

i'd be okay with a global reduction in kill times but that means addressing everything from super meters and orb generation to grenades.

nerf just one thing and it tips the balance towards the next OP thing.

So poignant. The balance in Crucible is a very delicate thing. I think most people are in agreement that the "Big Three" hand cannons are too powerful in the right hands, but what exactly do you do to adjust this from a balance perspective?

Personally, I think they need to tweak the exotic hand cannons and those alone--either via a small nerf in damage or less accuracy or less aim assist. Additionally, shotguns (looking at you Felwinter's) need a more dramatic damage fall off, but should still kill with one shot at or near point-blank range.

And of course, can we get a little Auto Rifle buff in here PLEASE?

BuzzJive

bad idea so long as blink+shotgun remains untouched. they're the only thing keeping blink+shotgun in check.

Blinky shotgun dudes are definitely annoying, but the elite tier of hand cannons really creates severe imbalance in Crucible. I feel obligated to use them to keep the playing field level. I occasionally use Red Death or Vex, but really that's about it. I WANT to use more weapons, but I don't like putting myself at a severe disadvantage to do so.

Congrats on your first Nightfall and VoG.

I wonder if they will add matchmaking to Nightfall, but to offset people just leaving in the middle of it they introduce that penalty system. Normal player formed groups however are exempt from that system.

That's an interesting idea, though it could run into issues with general network problems (or PSN/XBL issues) penalizing players for things beyond their control.

The Nightfall definitely gave me Halo Legendary vibes, with the burns reminding me of my favorite skull in the Halo series - Tilt. Burns and Tilt both require that you properly understand the various damage types and their effects on different enemies. Love it.

What did I do to deserve this? ;_;

CFUA5D-WAAA6nCw.jpg:large

That semyon98 guy was laggy as fuck.

So poignant. The balance in Crucible is a very delicate thing. I think most people are in agreement that the "Big Three" hand cannons are too powerful in the right hands, but what exactly do you do to adjust this from a balance perspective?

Personally, I think they need to tweak the exotic hand cannons and those alone--either via a small nerf in damage or less accuracy or less aim assist. Additionally, shotguns (looking at you Felwinter's) need a more dramatic damage fall off, but should still kill with one shot at or near point-blank range.

20% aim assist reduction for hand cannons
20% damage falloff for hand cannons
20% damage falloff for shotguns
20% damage buff for auto rifles

see what happens

Ramirez

I think severely nerfing HC range would do the trick. Currently there is absolutely no reason to use a Scout in PVP, the top HCs can all kill at range, and are much easier and faster at it too. The Scouts in general would be a good place for the PVP team to look at when it comes to balancing. If every weapon was as hard to use as them, the game would have a lot less bullshit to deal with.

As for Blink, I'd take it down to one use per charge, and increase the recharge rate. None of this will ever happen mind you. The PVP population is small, and taking away the easy bullshit like tracking, horseshoes, blinking shotguns, huge HC aim assist, etc. would probably just cause an even smaller amount of people to play it.

EL CUCO

my, how the written word does sting.
Honestly though, is it any better than TLW or Hawkmoon now?

It was only good or "OK" *wink* in PVP because DoT, but the small clip and super slow reload was suicide in crowds. You had to really pick your gun fights. And don't forget it was basically unusable in high level PVE content.

I was a huge fan of that weapon, mainly because of the trouble we went through to get it in that speciial Moon strike. I never want to see it nerfed lol

TheOddOne

That's an interesting idea, though it could run into issues with general network problems (or PSN/XBL issues) penalizing players for things beyond their control.
Yeah, didn't even think that far. You're right.

It seem fully realised, so I don't think it's a glitch. We will see.

Blinky shotgun dudes are definitely annoying, but the elite tier of hand cannons really creates severe imbalance in Crucible. I feel obligated to use them to keep the playing field level. I occasionally use Red Death or Vex, but really that's about it. I WANT to use more weapons, but I don't like putting myself at a severe disadvantage to do so.

I agree. I don't feel like hand cannons have anything to do with keeping blink/shotgun users in check.

If anything, shotguns are used to keep shotguns in check right now, but fusion rifles are actually a decent shotgun counter, but no one wants to use them for some reason.

Deku Tree

i'd be okay with a global reduction in kill times but that means addressing everything from super meters and orb generation to grenades.

nerf just one thing and it tips the balance towards the next OP thing.

Yeah Destiny would benefit from more thoughtful crucible balance.

It does feel like all the nerfs and the weapon tunings just have switched the popular OP weapons around that get the easiest fastest kills rather than making things seem more balanced overall.

It doesn't feel like Bungies old stated goal of having players feel good about bringing a wide variety of weapons to Crucible and be competitive has been accomplished at all.

Frostburn

Thanks for the Nightfall help MS1582, my brother has been away from Destiny for the last 3 months or so but HoW is bringing him back. I wanted to help him get at least one NF in before reset.

I agree. I don't feel like hand cannons have anything to do with keeping blink/shotgun users in check.

If anything, shotguns are used to keep shotguns in check right now, but fusion rifles are actually a decent shotgun counter, but no one wants to use them for some reason.

hip firing the last word followed by throwing knife is the only thing that saves me from blink shotgun. hang on, i'll dig up a clip.

patchday

A good start would be to rollback the recent Crucible changes. Pretty much all of the recent changes were purely awful.

- Special ammo is now rare and timed. So people will sit there and wait for respawn. Additionally, now all we see is hand cannons. It was better before!!! We at least saw different fusions / shotguns / hand canons / pulse rifles

- Heavy ammo timer. I'm on the fence this might a good change

- Players no longer drop heavy ammo. Dunno why this got changed. I never saw anyone asking for that. Now someone can troll enemy team. Just stroll to their heavy ammo crate, open it, and get killed. They just stopped enemy team from collecting the heavy ammo. Feels like crap design. One can argue this enforces the team should protect their incoming heavies though. Still- I liked enemy players dropped their heavy ammo and now its gone

It's weird, anytime I see somebody bringing up the Thorn bounty they mostly talk about the pvp section of the bounty, but I'm really struggling with getting to & killing Xyor the unwed. Perhaps it's a gear issue, or a skill issue maybe, but I'm not able to solo it on my level 29 warlock. Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

You're not kidding. They clearly had a 3-person team in mind for the level 26 epic strike.

With that in mind,does anyone mind helping me out with it? I have nothing to offer but gratitude, but I've heard DestinyGAF is pretty generous, so I figured it didn't hurt to ask :)

SkylineRKR

Yeah Destiny would benefit from more thoughtful crucible balance.

It does feel like all the nerfs and the weapon tunings just have switched the popular OP weapons around that get the easiest fastest kills rather than making things seem more balanced overall.

It doesn't feel like Bungies old stated goal of having players feel good about bringing a wide variety of weapons to Crucible and be competitive has been accomplished at all.

I think this is very difficult to realize. Nerf one, and the other becomes stronger. Auto rifles have pretty much been swapped out for Red Death, and FR for shotties though I thought FR was fine (they were both strong and probably used evenly, but both special weaps so the reduction of ammo should suffice). Handcannons have always been good as far as i remember.

Snipers are pretty good still, my Spear with final round and spray and play is making quite some convenient kills. Will be fun when every purple sniper can be re rolled into this.

Leaves the scout rifles which I never really use in PvP (and no more AR).

phen0m24

Flying Toaster, Noob, Thanks again with the help on the thorn bounty!

GAF = AWESOME Dr Drizzay helped
my son do his first Xyor because I suck at Crucible and made him do it LOL - he did another one or two later on

The Nightfall definitely gave me Halo Legendary vibes, with the burns reminding me of my favorite skull in the Halo series - Tilt. Burns and Tilt both require that you properly understand the various damage types and their effects on different enemies. Love it.

Glad you got to do the VoG, Null. It's such a great experience. If you're ever on with a GAF Group it takes on levels of awesome/insanity. Do one with deafmedal, you'll see what I mean... :p

Ritual of NEGAAAATIONNNNN LOL

(in Strong Bad voice: BOTTOM OF PAGE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom