• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont like prison of elders at all

- the environments make no sense. you're either running around after being overwhelmed or holding up head glitching the one safe wall. the only good one to me is the fallen one because there is a lot of geometry to play around. but it's all randomly thrown about.
- the fallen dude is obnoxious and repetitive and i had enough of him by the second play through. "kill them dead" - give me a break
- the modifiers barely make a difference
- objectives are lazily tacked on. why do i have to randomly defuse mines? what does that do for the waves of adds? nothing. it's an arbitrary difficulty increase to make it different from a strike
- but it really isnt. you have one (maybe two) bosses at the end and then you get loot. it otherwise didnt make me think anymore than i do when im half asleep during omnigul
- fuck cabal

the treasure room is the highlight. it's nice to have good loot drops at the end of all this, but the slog to it bores me.

and that's because it's way too easy. i have to be 2 levels under to feel like im being challenged, but at that point it's bordering on impossible unless you spec your ass off with weapons and class perks and find the best cheese spots

now this is obviously a premature "review" after like a handful of games so take it with a grain of glimmer. i just expected something raid level and i feel like this is a another undercooked activity. at least it's not another crota.

This pretty much. I've had this feeling for a long time that instead of adding mechanical and technically complex gameplay all PvE activities are just try not to get overwhelmed against this stupidly large number of enemies or get murdered by a bullshit modifier (I'm looking at you arc burn hive).

The only thing that remotely interests me is PvP which is extremely frustrating as it never seems to matter how well you play but only how good your team mates are...

And now this bullshit stipulation that you can only get treasure keys via farming with a ridiculously low chance. Ugh

All you had to say.

The Cabal is the poster boy for everything wrong with PoE.

For what it's worth, they're the only hard part about it. Granted I was playing with strong players, but it just felt like a numbers game more than a strategy game. That isn't to say that it doesn't involve strategy. It just seemed like I was still being told what to do and wasn't being challenged to think outside of the box. I don't like when games throw me in dumb situations just for the sake of it.

Like the mines for example. They're literally only there to make you move out from your head glitching spot. These mechanics get on my nerves. If they were instead summoning more powerful enemies or turrets for the AI to use, then I'd be more pressed to go there. Say for example, if 3 summoning circles had to be destroyed simultaneously or a powerful Ogre would spawn. But insta wipes because it's absolutely stupid for me to jump into the middle of the Cabal and stand on a tiny circle? Okay.

Am not trying to say I wish I could camp a spot. But being forced to run around mindlessly while there are millions of adds flooding the room doesn't seem like good game design. Frankly it's probably why PvE players struggle in PvP. The game is teaching you to run around aimlessly.

nOoblet16

I unlocked wolfpack rounds on my first Gjallarhorn, even an ungraded on at 339 damage (still higher than pre HoW) wrecks shit.

Everything....just...dies...

That's not the only way to get treasure keys.

I'm not counting the three you get from story missions. If you think that's enough then I beg to differ. From the two I got via stories, they both gave me NLBs.

But if I'm still wrong please feel free to enlighten me

LiK

Mine does, never reforged it either, it just came that way, got it from a level 28 chest

e3weaNy.jpg

Shit yea, hope to find a different elemental Scout with auto fire. VoC no longer special.

Thanks people

- fuck cabal
Just curious but whats the complaint with the Cabal?

I've only just dipped my toes into the mode but from what little I played the Vex gave us the most problems. So many sniper and splash-damage units that can appear all at once and in all directions.

Only faced the Cabal in the first round and they seemed like pushovers in comparison. Is their boss wave the worst? Or something else?

This pretty much. I've had this feeling for a long time that instead of adding mechanical and technically complex gameplay all PvE activities are just try not to get overwhelmed against this stupidly large number of enemies or get murdered by a bullshit modifier (I'm looking at you arc burn hive).

The only thing that remotely interests me is PvP which is extremely frustrating as it never seems to matter how well you play but only how good your team mates are...

And now this bullshit stipulation that you can only get treasure keys via farming with a ridiculously low chance. Ugh

Like The Dark Below, the highlight of this expansion for me are the new weapons and gear. Shadow Thief is also a really good strike. I haven't played PvP yet but I've had mostly positive things about the maps.

SkylineRKR

For what it's worth, they're the only hard part about it. Granted I was playing with strong players, but it just felt like a numbers game more than a strategy game. That isn't to say that it doesn't involve strategy. It just seemed like I was still being told what to do and wasn't being challenged to think outside of the box. I don't like when games throw me in dumb situations just for the sake of it.

Like the mines for example. They're literally only there to make you move out from your head glitching spot. These mechanics get on my nerves. If they were instead summoning more powerful enemies or turrets for the AI to use, then I'd be more pressed to go there. But insta wipes because it's absolutely stupid for me to jump into the middle of the Cabal and stand on a tiny circle? Okay.

Am not trying to say I wish I could camp a spot. But being forced to run around mindlessly while there are millions of adds flooding the room doesn't seem like good game design. Frankly it's probably why PvE players struggle in PvP. The game is teaching you to run around aimlessly.

This is a staple of Destiny. Nightfalls can only be cleared with cheesing too. And with that I mean hang back and exploit the fact enemies won't rush certain spots. Datto once wanted to show the world you can play Destiny the 'correct' way but he failed afaik.

In its defense, I remember Halo on Legendary being the same.

Destiny can be played normally on lower level weekly heroics and Raids too perhaps (at least the Normal difficulties). If PoE could be played like that I guess everyone would find it way too easy.

But this sounds like Crota's End. A bit unfair when you're on lower level but too easy when you're on-level (this was a problem on Normal CE, which was a joke at level 32.. and Hard CE? Remember the meltdowns). Too bad Bungie can't find the sweet spot here.

TheOddOne

Like the mines for example. They're literally only there to make you move out from your head glitching spot. These mechanics get on my nerves. If they were instead summoning more powerful enemies or turrets for the AI to use, then I'd be more pressed to go there. But insta wipes because it's absolutely stupid for me to jump into the middle of the Cabal and stand on a tiny circle? Okay.

Am not trying to say I wish I could camp a spot. But being forced to run around mindlessly while there are millions of adds flooding the room doesn't seem like good game design.
The worst thing is that it is a timer too. So, you can’t really strategically try to clear the area because so you can’t waste time killing enemies. Plus they are the same level as you or higher, so you will be doing very little damage to mobs. You are left with just going for it and see how it works out. Which is terrible, because you have to leave it up to chance if you’re going to make it. And this is without taking modifiers into account.

jett

D-Member
Weekly is very annoying without arc/burn/void damage. :/ I think you need to ascend your shit for level 32 weeklies, enemies take forever to down otherwise.

- the environments make no sense. you're either running around after being overwhelmed or holding up head glitching the one safe wall. the only good one to me is the fallen one because there is a lot of geometry to play around. but it's all randomly thrown about.
- the fallen dude is obnoxious and repetitive and i had enough of him by the second play through. "kill them dead" - give me a break
- the modifiers barely make a difference
- objectives are lazily tacked on. why do i have to randomly defuse mines? what does that do for the waves of adds? nothing. it's an arbitrary difficulty increase to make it different from a strike
- but it really isnt. you have one (maybe two) bosses at the end and then you get loot. it otherwise didnt make me think anymore than i do when im half asleep during omnigul
- fuck cabal

the treasure room is the highlight. it's nice to have good loot drops at the end of all this, but the slog to it bores me.

and that's because it's way too easy. i have to be 2 levels under to feel like im being challenged, but at that point it's bordering on impossible unless you spec your ass off with weapons and class perks and find the best cheese spots

now this is obviously a premature "review" after like a handful of games so take it with a grain of glimmer. i just expected something raid level and i feel like this is a another undercooked activity. at least it's not another crota.

Sorry, but I totally disagree. This is the most fun I've had in Destiny. Hands-down.

Niccolo

Apologies if this has been asked before but does re-rolling a legendary reset the exp gains on it? I wanted to test out some of the perks to see what I liked but I don't want to have to level it up every time.

Nori Chan

After 60 reforgers, I'm going to stick with this PVP Jolders Hammer:

Aggressive Bolistics
Rodeo
Field Scout
Grenadier (Kills reduce cool down)

and it's void. Thoughts guys?

noomi

As much as I love the new story missions, I don;t have it in me to go through them a 3rd time today, saving it for a later time.

All about PoE right now, most of you you are going at lvl 35, our group is just starting to do 34.... lets see how long this takes as level 3 level 33's.

Like The Dark Below, the highlight of this expansion for me are the new weapons and gear. Shadow Thief is also a really good strike. I haven't played PvP yet but I've had mostly positive things about the maps.

Yeah I agree. That strike was the only thing that stuck out to me so far about being halfway decent. And the best part is it doesn't even really require cheese to do nightfall

This is a staple of Destiny. Nightfalls can only be cleared with cheesing too. And with that I mean hang back and exploit the fact enemies won't rush certain spots. Datto once wanted to show the world you can play Destiny the 'correct' way but he failed afaik.

In its defense, I remember Halo on Legendary being the same.

Destiny can be played normally on lower level weekly heroics and Raids too perhaps (at least the Normal difficulties). If PoE could be played like that I guess everyone would find it way too easy.

But this sounds like Crota's End. A bit unfair when you're on lower level but too easy when you're on-level (this was a problem on Normal CE, which was a joke at level 32.. and Hard CE? Remember the meltdowns). Too bad Bungie can't find the sweet spot here.

The thing with Halo legendary is that you can often maneuver around the environment to your advantage. Even if you're peek shooting from cover, the onus is on you to manage your ammo count and find a way to approach the situation from seemingly impossible odds. Some of the encounters in those games were brilliant in that regard. Destiny on the other hand punishes and restricts that strategy. Or maybe they'll send exploding enemies behind you.

One level below probably is the sweet spot. I tried level 34 as a level 32 and it was really challenging, but only because we were doing less damage and taking more. At that point, going for the mines was literally suicide. By comparison, Level 32 was easy until the final boss.

Kwakye94

Neo Member
Might not be super impressive, but with the Celestial Nighthawk you can one shot Thelthor, the Unborn at lvl 12 :O, gonna try at 30 now!

4 Hours Later....
SKOLAS IS DEAD. Holy fucking shit. Great fucking game Unstable and Zocano. That was epic beyond belief, amazing clutch play by all.

CFd9Eg8UMAEkDgR.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom