• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemiLP

RGZ8mU7.jpg

Titan master race!

for prison of elders

Nice!

whats the perks for that helm?

Namikaze1

So the PoE class items represent 3 of the 4 Fallen Houses in the game: House of Kings, House of Devils, and House of Wolves. No House of Winter stuff. Titan already has the House of Wolves mark. Planning to go with Kings for Hunter and Devils for Warlock.

Communication is the key to teamwork and is going to be an invaluable asset to winning in Trials of Osiris. Callouts are the audible form of teamwork, but not everyone knows how or what to say. The more you callout, the more they'll become second nature, but it's important to learn good habits so you aren't confusing your teammates.

Here are the callouts my team uses for Burning Shrine:

sg16KG1.png

What are Callouts?
Callouts are the verbal descriptions you give your teammates to indicate where an enemy or objective is located. There are two types of callouts: Macro and Micro. Macro callouts are broad ones that apply to a large area, weapon or objective spawn. For example, "Top-Mid" is a very obvious callout that denotes the general location of where an enemy might be located. A Micro callout is both more specific and insignificant in that you can ignore it most of the time. In the image above, a Micro callout would be "A Wheel". Most players aren't going to be standing on this rotating platform and would instead fall into the "Mid" callout. However, if you see a player up there, calling that out specifically is the difference between life and death. Callouts also stack, such as the popular Halo callout "Ring 1". The number refers to the floor if there is another floor above it. The higher the floor, the higher the number.

Creating Your Own Callouts
It's important for callouts to be both simple and specific. If it's not something immediately apparent upon first glance, it probably isn't a good callout. There are exceptions were a name ends up sticking based on lore or how people play in that area, but they should otherwise be basic. I advise that your own personal callouts should never be more than 2-3 syllables. You need to be able to say them quickly. Popular callout suffixes include:

[*] [Red] Street
[*] Ring [2]
[*] Big/Small Door
[*] Red/Blue [number denoting floor]
[*] Sniper's Nest
[*] Tunnel
[*] [Red] Tank
[*] [Their] Platform
[*] [Blue] Window
[*] [Long]Hall

How to speak good Callouts
There are two things you need to say when you're making a callout. The first is the callout itself, and the second is the status of the player. They don't necessarily have a set order, but it's good practice to communicate the most important information first. "Arc Blade A Mid" and "A Mid Arc Blade" are both saying the same thing. However, I'd prefer to know the player has their super first so I can prepare to react accordingly.

Status includes anything the enemy is doing. If they're sniping a hallway, you can say "A Mid Sniping through A Door". If they're final rounding, be sure to call that out as well so we know that poking out would be dangerous. There are also callouts for the player's health:

• Weak; One-Tap; No-Shields; Naked: The player's shields are down, like when you body shot snipe them.
  • One-Shot: The player requires one shot (with a hand cannon) to kill.
  • Absolute; Blank: The player has a sliver of health left.

• "One-Shot A Mid, he's sniping"*
  • "Weak C Flag with Heavy [Machine Gun]"*
  • "C bridge, he's absolute!"*
  • "They're flanking C Door!"
  • "One-Tap going B to C"

The most common callout "On my X/Death" should be used when appropriate. If your team can't see where you died, be sure to communicate that to them as well.

How to Respond to Callouts
Positioning goes hand in hand with being able to communicate where the enemy team is. This is something I wont cover here, but for callout purposes, you need to always be in a position to watch your teammate's backs and assist them if they get into an encounter. If your line of sight connection to one another gets broken and you're separated, it'll be difficult to respond to callouts.

You should prioritize the most important ones. If you're fighting someone across the map with a primary and then you hear your teammate tell you there's a super behind you, you need to ignore the guy across the map and focus on the super. Conversely, you shouldn't respond to every callout. If your teammate is being double teamed and you're waiting for special ammo that's about to spawn, they're probably going to die by the time you get there. You'll be a greater asset to your team if you grab the special ammo - denying the enemy team of it - and regroup with your teammates when they respawn.

Be sure to let your teammates know when you've killed someone they've called out. Simply saying "I got him" or "Sniper's dead"

When do I Callout?
Callout everything as soon as you see it, whether it's the weapon they're using or the direction they're headed. If they spawn, call out where they spawn. If you spawn, let your teammates know where you have spawned and where you are going to assist them. I always tell my teammates that I've spawned behind them on their left or right flank and that I have got their help if they choose to engage. This gives them confidence and lets them play passive momentarily while I maneuver into position.

It's also important to callout an enemy before you engage them. If you call them out after you've already died, they can just run away and change positions. Getting used to doing this will let you plan pushes and flanks. You can tell your team "I'm going to push Mid with my Super" and they can maneuver into position to assist you.

After you have died, press the d-pad and swivel your camera around so you can see where the enemy may be moving. You can also watch your teammate's backs this way.

Bad Habits to Avoid
The most common mistake when making callouts is to either make long and overly specific ones or ones that are entirely too vague. I've heard a lot of interesting things over the years...

• They're all in the sand!
  • He's over by that giant thingy
  • I hit him. He's right there in the same place before
  • He's middle-middle downstairs

Try not to flood the comm channel with these. Be concise and straight to the point so we can respond accordingly! If you choke up on a callout and forget, try to at least tell your team where the enemy is going or what they killed you with.

Last but not least, keep a cool head. It's okay to let your teammates know that you or the opponent is lagging, but if you're complaining about bad connection or how you're playing like shit the whole game, you'll be flooding the comms. Once you start raging, the morale of the team goes down and your teamwork will dissipate. The absolute worst mistake is to start berating your teammates. If they simply can't get into the groove, tell them to hang back and support you. Encourage them when they make good plays and clean up kills.

NeOak

So what are the perks that I should have for a PvP scout rifle. I've been rerolling but I'm not sure what to keep.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
The "gotta get them coins and also excited for new piercing" fireteam

WLTM

people who want to do the weekly heroic strike, ideally twice - once at 32 and once at 30 (or 32 if you don't mind carrying a bit)

And after that average players of crucible who would like to try salvage or skirmish in preparation for getting absolutely destroyed by proper players in Trials.

If interested pls either join fire team or send friend request. Same as name here.

Mic or no mic. One does not care.

PuMa

Communication is the key to teamwork and is going to be an invaluable asset to winning in Trials of Osiris. Callouts are the audible form of teamwork, but not everyone knows how or what to say. The more you callout, the more they'll become second nature, but it's important to learn good habits so you aren't confusing your teammates.

Here are the callouts my team uses for Burning Shrine:

Best post. You win.

I have no keys. :(

Unless Elder Cipher drops from Skolas.

*checks*

OH SHIT! It can drop from Uroxx?!?!

Thought we were doing 34 at like 5/6? Still have time to do 35 but I'm not doing it yet until I get another key.

Farming for one is incredibly annoying right now. Where did you see that it drops from Uroxx?

I am down for 1 34 and 2 35s later tonight around 8:00pm EST

Let me know if you guys are down, if not that's ok.

Yeah, we should never play PvP together. I'm pretty sure you'd kill me about 5 mins in. I have some callouts as well, here are my most common:

1) Oh that mother fucker got me. Fucking lag.

2) Fuck that guy. That's bullshit. He's still there.

3) Really? Ugh. He's weak. Someone kill him.

4) Oh, I'm an idiot. That guy sucks. Someone kill him.

5) I swear to god I'm going to hunt that guy down and gut him like an animal.

Bradach

The "gotta get them coins and also excited for new piercing" fireteam

WLTM

people who want to do the weekly heroic strike, ideally twice - once at 32 and once at 30 (or 32 if you don't mind carrying a bit)

And after that average players of crucible who would like to try salvage or skirmish in preparation for getting absolutely destroyed by proper players in Trials.

If interested pls either join fire team or send friend request. Same as name here.

Mic or no mic. One does not care.
A couple of weeklies sound good to me! I'll join you

Frenden

Banned
Just signed on a second character. Looking to do a 32 and then 33 PoE run for it (I'm at 32 currently and need the armor core).

Frenden on PSN, will be open to join or send me an invite/message.

Hedera

Just signed on a second character. Looking to do a 32 and then 33 PoE run for it (I'm at 32 currently and need the armor core).

Frenden on PSN, will be open to join or send me an invite/message.
Wanna team up? I'm also looking to do level 32 and 34 (I think that's what you meant).

PuMa

Yeah, we should never play PvP together. I'm pretty sure you'd kill me about 5 mins in. I have some callouts as well, here are my most common:

Here are mine:

1) Blink/Felwinter again?!? Goddammit.

2) Oh great, so the whole other team has red ping.

3) Really with the teabagging???

4) Bladedancer! Run! Shit. Goddammit.

Dave_6

Hahahahaha, this is me the entire time I'm playing with randoms! Along with saying "Fuck you!" every time I get killed.

Frenden

Banned
I really really really want an HC with Icarus for the Crucible. If I get Her Mercy that's what I'm doing with it.

I have a Her Mercy you would love.

Sureshot Sight
Ikarus
Reinforced Barrel (Adds range, reduces stability.)
Counter Balance (Increases stability, which makes up for Reinforced Barrel's downside.)

It has such a well rounded feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom