• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordofPwn

Need more vault space bungie!
Photo%20May%2012%2C%209%2021%2016%20PM.jpg

Eh, it varies dramatically.

Monte Carlo, Bad Juju, Pocket Infinity, and hell, Gjallarhorn are fairly unremarkable without their exotic perks, but awesome with them.

Ice Breaker, SUROS Regime and hell even Hawkmoon are almost their full selves out of the box (or at least without their exotic perks, which offer only minor boosts).

Then you have stuff like Plan C, Thorn and Red Death which are great out of the box but are also significantly transformed by their exotic perks.

I think thorn is another one of those guns, used exclusively in PVP, without its DOT, its just another lumbering handcannon.

mida is one of those guns that you really dont see a differnce in how it plays but it dramatcally changes how you play with it once its exotic perk is unlocked.

my opinion of course

Homeboyd

As for more elemental primaries, bleh. Still feel like that entire idea cramps exotic primaries in PvE too much. Exotic primaries should have kept their elemental damage.
I've always thought this as well. I get why they limited primary weapons with elemental damage to raid weapons only, but you're right, it almost always means you're going to opt for one of these weapons over an exotic primary in most situations. Exotic primaries and raid primaries should both have elemental damages, just to give us some more options for loadouts. It basically keeps exotics in a "situational use" only type designation.

They spend time coming up with exotics with unique perks only to have us look at it for 2 seconds and say "welp, doesn't have a burn.. guess it's back to fatebringer."

Need more vault space bungie!
GOOD LORD. Delete those no land beyonds immediately. One space in the vault is easily worth more than a NLB.

Impala26

Pocket Infinity is such a fun weapon! Problem with it, it goes through ammo too fast. Especially after the special ammo nerf. Shame because it's one of my favorite weapons.

Still good even after special ammo nerf. You just have to not be so damn liberal with your shots and always keep an eye out for those green boxes and their timers.

PI is my GOAT for clearing control points, or choke points in general.

Deku Tree

I've always thought this as well. I get why they limited primary weapons with elemental damage to raid weapons only, but you're right, it almost always means you're going to opt for one of these weapons over an exotic primary in most situations. Exotic primaries and raid primaries should both have elemental damages, just to give us some more options for loadouts. It basically keeps exotics in a "situational use" only type designation.

They spend time coming up with exotics with unique perks only to have us look at it for 2 seconds and say "welp, doesn't have a burn.. guess it's back to fatebringer."

Raid weapons are like exotics that don't take up an exotic slot.

Question:

WHY DO YOU HAVE 5 NO LAND BEYONDS?!?!?!

back when I used to play MTG if I opened to many of the same shit rare I would start to collect them. it was always funny to see someones face when they opened my binder to see page after page of the same stupid card

Homeboyd

Raid weapons are like exotics that don't take up an exotic slot.
Right but my point is; the actual exotic primaries get overlooked almost immediately because their lack of an elemental damage. At least by me anyways. They only way I'll use them more outside of very specific situations is if they have a burn.

Still good even after special ammo nerf. You just have to not be so damn liberal with your shots and always keep an eye out for those green boxes and their timers.

PI is my GOAT for clearing control points, or choke points in general.

Yeah, I tend to spam a lot with it, which is why I like it lol. I should probably drop the Field Scout and get the stab to save ammo.

Ji66a-man who also have every exotic on both consoles.
Edit:acutally it's not that hard getting all the trophies or achivements. Just time consuming...

I think Flying toaster is going to be the first double GLORD. or at least he wants to be. he was quite excited to be the Wonderful 101

jett

D-Member
"Not useful to me" is fine. It doesn't suit your playstyle, there's plenty of things like that that apply to me too. World of difference from "shitty perk, mostly useless." You can run a high range primary and switch to Plan C to instantly kill shotgun rushers or even TLW users if you're quick enough. You can also just double tap triangle to activate it. You don't have to calculate the recharge time to take advantage of it so much as you can just expect it to be available when you need it as long as you're not trying to do it twice in a row.

It doesn't hurt that it's basically the best all-around fusion rifle even if it didn't have the perk.

The Vex and PI are both completely different weapons, they can all make a case individually for the bullshittiest. Obviously the vex uses primary ammo which is a massive advantage.

Eh, I guess it's useful if you have a super awesome primary legendary. The perk recharge time takes a while though. For me, my Perun's Fire with hammer forged and rangefinder makes it a non-entity. :p But it's a cool weapon still. If AR's weren't in such a shit state I would use it more often.

Deku Tree

Right but my point is; the actual exotic primaries get overlooked almost immediately because their lack of an elemental damage. At least by me anyways. They only way I'll use them more outside of very specific situations is if they have a burn.

But really that is only important when your are in a NF or a weekly heroic that has an elemental burn... Otherwise the burn on the primary is not doing much for you.

GutZ31

Flawless used to be hard when it was only VoG.

Its pretty funny, the group I did flawless with in VoG had trouble with 2 guys that could not get the jumping part down.
So we spent about an hour with them just on the jumping puzzle, telling them how to boost, turn off boost, re-engage boost.
After this, we flawless-ed VoG with little issue.

Gordon

Bungie really need to add a system that allows us to trade in a great deal of exotic materials for an Exotic of our choosing. I only need Hawkmoon to complete my collection yet have over 50 Exotic shards that i will never deplete upgrading Exotics.

Just let me spend 10 or more even exotic shards to pick my last missing exotic and make me happy, because at this moment when my 7th and 8th Dragon's Breath drop in a row on Ir Yut and Crota i just get pissed off with the game and with more exotics coming to add to pile it only going to get worse.

I give it a month after it releases on xbox before everybody has one for a mere 23 coins.

Edit: Not sure why it pulled up that quote...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think thorn is another one of those guns, used exclusively in PVP, without its DOT, its just another lumbering handcannon.
I must disagree, it has a nasty combination of RoF and Range once Send It is unlocked, outclassing almost any "lumbering hand cannon" you might find (both exceed Hawkmoon's), even before its exotic perk is unlocked, along with a slight advantage in reload speed over HM as well. Of course, Hawkmoon is the better of the two guns without their respective perks (higher impact and magazine), but it's closer than one might think.

edit: this certainly wasn't the case before its buff of course. Its worst-in-class reload speed and tiny magazine made it the ugly duckling that only swanned out when you unlocked the perk and built around its flawed reload. Now it's just a top tier weapon without caveat.
mida is one of those guns that you really dont see a differnce in how it plays but it dramatcally changes how you play with it once its exotic perk is unlocked.

my opinion of course
Yeah, to me MIDA is a good example of the third category, it has its impact stagger shot out of the box, but the dance dance revolution perk definitely changes things up and makes all kinds of playstyle options viable.

Eh, it varies dramatically.

Monte Carlo, Bad Juju, Pocket Infinity, and hell, Gjallarhorn are fairly unremarkable without their exotic perks, but awesome with them.

Ice Breaker, SUROS Regime and hell even Hawkmoon are almost their full selves out of the box (or at least without their exotic perks, which offer only minor boosts).

Then you have stuff like Plan C, Thorn and Red Death which are great out of the box but are also significantly transformed by their exotic perks.
hmm... good point re: ice breaker, et. al. but still, it's more exception than norm, that the "namesake" perk doesn't significantly enhance the weapon.

noomi

I'm certain we will get some information about why the patch was delayed today and when it is actually coming.

They most likely found some last minute bug.

As long as HoW is coming on Tuesday, I can live with this.

Homeboyd

But really that is only important when your are in a NF or a weekly heroic that has an elemental burn... Otherwise the burn on the primary is not doing much for you.
Tons of enemies have shields in all levels of activities, not just nightfalls or weekly strikes.. raids, story missions, hell even in patrol and public events. Having a VoC when fighting a wizard is a lot better than a suros or a mida... having a word of crota when fighting a minotaur is better than a juju or a last word. Having a fatebringer when fighting a captain... you get the idea. They have shields at all levels.. not just nightfalls. It just makes them that much more useful due to the heroic modifier.

Yeah, in lower level content, it's not a huge deal, but guns with elemental damage output will almost always rank higher than ones with kinetic imo unless the exotic perk is just something you can't live without. I just think exotics (considering they are exotic) should be on par with those raid weapons.

Impala26

Yeah, I tend to spam a lot with it, which is why I like it lol. I should probably drop the Field Scout and get the stab to save ammo.

From my experience stability is immensely more valuable than field scout in Crucible. It's not often that more than two enemies will engage in close proximity to each other at close-mid and CQC range where that would be effective. I'd rather be able to ice one or two people at almost medium range (which you definitely can do with PI if you learn to control the stabilized recoil), get back into cover again to reload, pop out again to take out another one or two people.

This style has worked for me quite well in Control.

I'm certain we will get some information about why the patch was delayed today and when it is actually coming.

They most likely found some last minute bug.

As long as HoW is coming on Tuesday, I can live with this.

What if they delay HoW... :-/

Not gonna lie, It would lead me to purchase Witcher 3 that day...

I must disagree, it has a nasty combination of RoF and Range once Send It is unlocked, outclassing almost any "lumbering hand cannon" you might find (both exceed Hawkmoon's), even before its exotic perk is unlocked, along with a slight advantage in reload speed over HM as well. Of course, Hawkmoon is the better of the two guns without their respective perks (higher impact and magazine), but it's closer than one might think.

edit: this certainly wasn't the case before its buff of course. Its worst-in-class reload speed and tiny magazine made it the ugly duckling that only swanned out when you unlocked the perk and built around its flawed reload. Now it's just a top tier weapon without caveat.

Yeah, to me MIDA is a good example of the third category, it has its impact stagger shot out of the box, but the dance dance revolution perk definitely changes things up and makes all kinds of playstyle options viable.

I dont have enuogh experience with it to make an informed opinion on Thorn. I was only mentioning based on my little time with it. So I will concede. all I know is it kills me in crucible more than any other gun. lol

My vault is full of exotics and engrams that I'm saving up to rank up Rahool post HoW.

from what I remember it was ok to store rahool packages as the emgrams are not rolled till the package is open. I could be wrong thuogh but I am sure it was like this when TBD dropped. faction packages on the other hand......

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
hmm... good point re: ice breaker, et. al. but still, it's more exception than norm, that the "namesake" perk doesn't significantly enhance the weapon.
Definitely, I mean look at No Land Beyond for example... oh no wait ;_:

You're right about most weapons.. I guess I was trying to point out that there are these three distinct categories of Exotics the way I see it, but of course, a substantial majority belong to either category 1 or 3, wherein the perk is very important.

noomi

What if they delay HoW... :-/

Not gonna lie, It would lead me to purchase Witcher 3 that day...

If HoW gets delayed I'll be doing what everyone will, playing Witcher 3 :)

I really don't think a delay is coming though, they've had more than enough time to get everything going.

I dont have enuogh experience with it to make an informed opinion on Thorn. I was only mentioning based on my little time with it. So I will concede. all I know is it kills me in crucible more than any other gun. lol

It's the range on hand cannons that drives me insane. I got into a standoff the other day on Pantheon. I was using the Fang and the enemy a Thorn. We were "sniping" across mid. The entire distance. He still landed the two headshot kill with DoT. That just doesn't seem right to me. I mean, good on him for landing 2 headshots at that crazy range, but why is my Scout Rifle, a weapon that was actually designed for that specific encounter, being outclassed by a weapon that doesn't even have a scope.

HCs really need a steeper drop off or something.

Hawkmoon and Thorn are the worst. I can handle going up against a Last Word, it doesn't sting as much, probably because it's whole gimmick is anti-ADS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom