• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3Rocket

For all we know they could get the patch out tomorrow, Friday, Monday or even Tuesday and HoW wouldn't be affected. Until Bungie says that HoW has been delayed, you can't use "deductive reasoning" and say that HoW's release is in danger. At that point he's not reporting facts.

"Deductive reasoning" from a journalist/reporter means he's "guessing!"

hydruxo

No he isn't reporting facts, he's reporting a possibility based on the limited information in the update, which indicated new details for the deployment schedule.

It's a silly headline regardless. If Bungie comes out and says that HoW is delayed, then sure report on it. But they haven't.

Deku Tree

For all we know they could get the patch out tomorrow, Friday, Monday or even early Tuesday and HoW wouldn't be affected. Until Bungie says that HoW has been delayed, you can't use "deductive reasoning" and say that HoW's release is in danger. At that point he's not reporting facts.

The article said the release date "may be affected" which is not a false statement.

All the links/info here: Tower Ghost for Destiny

There are Chrome and Firefox extensions that you can look for in their respective extension stores. Android extension can be found on both Google's and Amazon's Android stores. IOS is currently only available via Apple beta test or directly if you've rooted your iThingi.

Loadouts are saved to the cloud and shared between ALL of the extensions and apps except for the Firefox one. That is the only extension that doesn't save to the cloud due to a Firefox limitation.

Also, the Android and IOS apps are Hydration enabled--which simply means they are auto updated. The Chrome and Firefox extensions can be downloaded from GitHub directly instead if you always want the latest and greatest version since it takes a bit for the respective extension stores to "upgrade."

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

He's not wrong. I don't understand the uproar.
I don't see the problem either. If there are last minute problems isn't it possible that it could affect the timing of the DLC release?

Until Bungie says that HoW has been delayed, you can't use "deductive reasoning" and say that HoW's release is in danger. At that point he's not reporting facts.
So you can only talk about any possible delay after there is official word of a delay?

article said:
Dague indicates that there may be some change in the House of Wolves rollout as a result. “We'll be sharing new details on the deployment schedule that leads to House of Wolves as soon as they become facts,” he says.
Its a fair point to at least inform the audience that changes might be afoot.

hydruxo

Eh, interpret it how you will. I just hate seeing headlines like that for Destiny because it creates unnecessary negativity. I'd rather just wait and see what Bungie says before jumping to conclusions personally.

Plan C has a shitty perk tho, mostly useless. :( The only exotic fusion rifle I got. My Perun's Fire is just as effective in PVP, except it has even more range. :p

Dude I'm gonna have to come talk to you for real lol. Timur's w/ Plan C is like my 1a loadout behind Bad Juju in PvP. Plan C's perk is anything but useless.

Axoman

No, it's probably not that near. I've got somewhere in the range of 1400 hours now and have every exotic in the game, including armor, except for the horn.

I am apparently the God of Horn though as they drop like rain for anyone in my fireteam.

Hawkian can back me up that a single DS+Crota run yielded 3 Horns. That means 50% of the fireteam got them. I was not part of said 50%.

I have seen so many drop to this point that the probability of me not having one has got to be exceptionally small.

Your probability of not having one has got to be lower than having one at this point.

Once we learned how awesome Gjallarhorn was, those that didn't have it yet, lusted after it. At that point, you begin to think you'll never get one, I know I did and I now have 4 of them.

It's just a matter of time.

No, it's probably not that near. I've got somewhere in the range of 1400 hours now and have every exotic in the game, including armor, except for the horn.

I am apparently the God of Horn though as they drop like rain for anyone in my fireteam.

Hawkian can back me up that a single DS+Crota run yielded 3 Horns. That means 50% of the fireteam got them. I was not part of said 50%.

I have seen so many drop to this point that the probability of me not having one has got to be exceptionally small.
i can attest to this, too.

jett

D-Member
Dude I'm gonna have to come talk to you for real lol. Timur's w/ Plan C is like my 1a loadout behind Bad Juju in PvP. Plan C's perk is anything but useless.

I've used my Timur's in PVP but the low rate of fire + low mag is kind much of an annoyance. I'm too used to the stats of a Hawkmoon. :p

Deku Tree

Eh, interpret it how you will. I just hate seeing headlines like that for Destiny because it creates unnecessary negativity. I'd rather just wait and see what Bungie says before jumping to conclusions personally.

Well they didn't release a patch on their own planned schedule and they called it a "technical problem" and they haven't reassured us that HoW is releasing on time and they haven't been able to give us a revised patch schedule.... So it seems like a quite real possibility that HoW has a chance of not releasing on time.

I guess I'm thinking more about people who might be playing hookie or otherwise scheduling quality Destiny time in anticipation of the new goods. So I see the article as more of a fair warning than something to cause outrage.

Am looking forward to it myself. I've been drafted back into Destiny with the expansion pass and its all been good times so far.

Deku Tree

Yeah a lot of people I talked with are taking the 19th and maybe also the 20th off work. If there could be a chance of a delay those people should hear about it so they don't take off work for no reason.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

I think a lot of people miss out on Plan C's perk because its that much faster than what they anticipated. You can basically hold the trigger down while you're switching weapons. Firing a primary, switching, firing Plan C (sometimes twice) is faster than some shotguns' full auto. Add in the range and stability and you're basically just ruining days by pulling a FR out of your ass on people.

Well they didn't release a patch on their own planned schedule and they called it a "technical problem" and they haven't reassured us that HoW is releasing on time and they haven't been able to give us a revised patch schedule.... So it seems like a quite real possibility that HoW has a chance of not releasing on time.

There is no reason for them to raise concern about HoW possibily getting pushed. If they can get the technical issue sorted before May 19th, there is no reason to say more than is needed. I imagine an announcement of a push would be made at the end of the week if necessary.

After seeing the majority of his friends get their gjallarhorns (including his daughter), and a few get multiple horn drops, along with over 770 hours of game time, a friend finally got his first gjallarhorn last night.

I think I was more excited for him than he was.

cg paulsboy

There is no reason for them to raise concern about HoW possibily getting pushed. If they can get the technical issue sorted before May 19th, there is no reason to say more than is needed. I imagine an announcement of a push would be made at the end of the week if necessary.

$. The only reason bloggers ever need.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
He's not wrong. I don't understand the uproar.
Sure he is, unless you mean to say that this headline they've created isn't reporting on the official comment by Bungie but just an unrelated speculation cloaked in invulnerability by the word "may."

Unexpected problems may cause Destiny's servers to shut down forever on Thursday, May 14th, 2015. What, I'm not wrong.
No he isn't reporting facts, he's reporting a possibility based on the limited information in the update, which indicated new details for the deployment schedule.
He's not "reporting on a possibility."

That would be this:
Deej: "The issue we've identified with Patch 1.2.0 may result in the release of House of Wolves being delayed."
Headline: "Bungie Finds Problem With Destiny Update, House Of Wolves Release May Be Affected"

Note how now, the headline reports on a possibility that was mentioned by Bungie.

This possibility was not mentioned in reality. You can make the case that it should have been, I guess, because if the issue does wind up delaying the release of the expansion, they will not have specified that possibility as early as they could have.
I don't see the problem either. If there are last minute problems isn't it possible that it could affect the timing of the DLC release?
Anything's possible, but are you telling me that the layman will understand that the author of the headline is just speculating, rather than reporting on what was said by the developer? Or is it fair to say that headline seems to imply that Bungie mentioned the release might be affected?
So you can only talk about any possible delay after there is official word of a delay?
As they've demonstrated, you can talk about whatever you want, regardless of journalistic value.
Its a fair point to at least inform the audience that changes might be afoot.
It would be a fair point if that was what they're doing, but they're including more information- information they don't have- than was provided by the source they purport to be reporting on.

Lothars

I disagree I don't think it means that at all, I think the article is in bad form. If it comes to that and it is delayed than hopefully we will know about it asap like tomorrow but I don't there's a good change that house of wolves will be delayed.

I don't think HoW will be delayed, it's Bungies killer release against Witcher 3.

While some people will play both, I don't really think they'll overlap that much. Destiny is an FPS / MMO / loot game hybrid, while Witcher 3 is an deep storyline based open world RPG.

Don't really see them targeting the same audiences.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The broader point which I didn't spell out above is that the kind of speculation (or "deductive reasoning") Game Informer is tactically employing here is an older-than-dirt technique to attract eyeballs to you over your competition. Including speculative information with the implication that it is contained within the subject of their reporting, to make a headline more attractive to potential readers, is nothing new. But the fact that it's par for the course doesn't make it laudable. It's the opposite of an "honest mistake."

GutZ31

While some people will play both, I don't really think they'll overlap that much. Destiny is an FPS / MMO / loot game hybrid, while Witcher 3 is an deep storyline based open world RPG.

Don't really see them targeting the same audiences.

I think they are feeling the pressure, because finally there is a game that offers something destiny doesn't have; a compelling story.

stb

I tweeted him about it and he said that it was "deductive reasoning". Lol.

That's the strangest spelling of "speculation" I've ever seen.

EDIT:

~6.5 days isn't exactly "last minute". I'm sure they'd rather there WASN'T an issue with the patch they intended to release yesterday to smooth the way for next Tuesday, but it's not like this is happening this coming Monday night. The headline's clickbait.

EDIT 2: this is my last post on the "journalism" angle, so as to stay on-topic.

Just like Bloodbourne, Witcher 3 is getting more of a push than its predecessor (which didn't even break a million on PC or Xbox 360) but it's still a niche title compared to Destiny.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I actually got the 19th and 20th off myself. If there is a significant possibility of a delay I would prefer Bungie mention it outright ASAP too.
I think they are feeling the pressure, because finally there is a game that offers something destiny doesn't have; a compelling story.
IMO, there's very little overlap. They're completely different genres, and use totally different features as differentiators. They're also totally different costs and corresponding value propositions. There may be people who find themselves in the target audience of both games, but I think it's likely those people would simply buy both if they are fans of both franchises. I'd wager the number of people who are specifically picking one over the other to be fairly small.

The broader point which I didn't spell out above is that the kind of speculation (or "deductive reasoning") Game Informer is tactically employing here is an older-than-dirt technique to attract eyeballs to you over your competition. Including speculative information with the implication that it is contained within the subject of their reporting, to make a headline more attractive to potential readers, is nothing new. But the fact that it's par for the course doesn't make it laudable. It's the opposite of an "honest mistake."
You may be absolutely 100% right, but I guess I still appreciate the heads up, and a possible delay of the DLC rollout was exactly my thought after reading Deej's update. But I am used to exactly these kinds of last minute and/or cert-based delays with Warframe updates and they've never been a cause of alarm. Shit happens.

Definitely. They talked about giving gamers an epic story, the one for the generation. And they couldn't have failed more. Which is sad since the lore is very interesting.

But all you need is to take a look at the narrative of Witcher 2 to know they don't stand a chance there.

Ganhyun

FWIW, I took off work on the 20th. I would need to know ASAP if HoW is getting delayed.

I had thought about taking off, but this issue has made me not do so.

Also, some people's jobs require 1 week or 2 weeks notice of planned time off. So a last minute issue is very frustrating to them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You may be absolutely 100% right, but I guess I still appreciate the heads up, and a possible delay of the DLC rollout was exactly my thought after reading Deej's update. But I am used to exactly these kinds of last minute and/or cert-based delays with Warframe updates and they've never been a cause of alarm. Shit happens.
I've worked both in IT and customer communications and I guess what really irks me about it is that the possibility of something like this occurring and needing to be worked out in advance of the full release is exactly why this patch was scheduled for yesterday rather than the 19th in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom