• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
Oger is the worst enemy to grind in the game :(

nova_bomb.png

NHL6uHm.png

inexcusable. ffs game informer, how do you know that? I said, how do you know that?

if anything... this type of problem is exactly why preliminary patches like this are scheduled a week in advance rather than day-of. bleh.

Answer me thing in the mouth face!

sorry, had to

GhaleonEB

You may be absolutely 100% right, but I guess I still appreciate the heads up, and a possible delay of the DLC rollout was exactly my thought after reading Deej's update. But I am used to exactly these kinds of last minute and/or cert-based delays with Warframe updates and they've never been a cause of alarm. Shit happens.

He's not giving you a heads up, though. You knew the patch was delayed, and that HoW is scheduled for the 19th. That is all of what the author knows as well. He's just speculating that it might delay HoW, without any confirmation or indication of such. I think it's pretty irresponsible reporting to headline the story that way, all it does is put Bungie on the spot to defend something they never said. To comment in the story itself that the delay might be possible, but Bungie hasn't said one way or the other, would be fine. But then I'd also expect the author to reach out to Bungie for comment. He didn't bother, because that would be actual reporting.

Dunno, I just hate this kind of "reporting" where someone takes one bit of news and runs with it to a conclusion not supported by the primary source, without even bothering to do any follow up.

IMO, there's very little overlap. They're completely different genres, and use totally different features as differentiators. They're also totally different costs and corresponding value propositions. There may be people who find themselves in the target audience of both games, but I think it's likely those people would simply buy both if they are fans of both franchises. I'd wager the number of people who are specifically picking one over the other to be fairly small.

While the genres may be different, they are both AAA games. There will indeed be user overlap. Further, if there is a delay for HoW (I don't believe there will be), it may be a breaking point for a material number of Destiny players. They may find themselves turning to TW3 or another game and not looking back. I think the number of "at risk" Destiny players is higher than you think. Again, 95%+ of the Destiny user base would be termed casual. Because of that, you have an overall finicky user base.

Just my opinion.

LTWood12

I've worked both in IT and customer communications and I guess what really irks me about it is that the possibility of something like this occurring and needing to be worked out in advance of the full release is exactly why this patch was scheduled for yesterday rather than the 19th in the first place.

Quoting you for visibility, but put me and T-44 in whatever queue you have for Tuesday eve and the Prison of Elders train. I'm sure we'll all be playing w/ multiple folks throughout that evening, but I'd love to talk through the encounters & stuff w/ you for the fun of it.

He's not giving you a heads up, though. You knew the patch was delayed, and that HoW is scheduled for the 19th. That is all of what the author knows as well. He's just speculating that it might delay HoW, without any confirmation or indication of such. I think it's pretty irresponsible reporting to headline the story that way, all it does is put Bungie on the spot to defend something they never said. To comment in the story itself that the delay might be possible, but Bungie hasn't said one way or the other, would be fine. But then I'd also expect the author to reach out to Bungie for comment. He didn't bother, because that would be actual reporting.

Dunno, I just hate this kind of "reporting" where someone takes one bit of news and runs with it to a conclusion not supported by the primary source, without even bothering to do any follow up.

Futter Appernelty likes destiny, he ran the whole kermithefrog was the victim articles too. Which is why he should be able to remove himself from fan and player when it equestes to his job. This is rather irrisponsible of him. I like GI for the most part. They were very "fact driven Journo's" for a good long while. But I read the readers letters of the magazine and thier reviews are getting a little out of hand. There appears to be a lot of ego thier. Wish Dan never left. He was glue that kept them intact, And Entertaining.
I stopped watching thier replays after he left

Deku Tree

NHL6uHm.png

inexcusable. ffs game informer, how do you know that? I said, how do you know that?

if anything... this type of problem is exactly why preliminary patches like this are scheduled a week in advance rather than day-of. bleh.

Preliminary patches like this are scheduled in advance so that they can test the content in the actual game world behind the scenes IMO... Not to give them wiggle room in case there are "technical problems" with the patch itself.

Impala26

Oger is the worst enemy to grind in the game :(

Funny enough, there's exactly ONE Ogre that you can encounter patrolling Cosmodrome. He's located in a tiny back cave in the Grottos where you fight Sardon in the Fist of Crota mission.

Easy peasy with the shrine of orix. Hydras is far worse.

Five Hydras in the Archon Priest strike alone.
Also, Venus public events at the Citadel or Ishtar Cliffs are always(?) Prevent Vex Sacrifices which can net you anywhere from 3-5 Hydras

Easy peasy with the shrine of orix. Hydras is far worse.

correct me if im wrong but wasnt thier a story mission on Venus where you had to kill a hydra to get some item it dropped. and if you didnt pick it up it would dissapear after a bit and the hydra would return and you had to kill it again. seems like a good place to farm them.

Impala26

correct me if im wrong but wasnt thier a story mission on Venus where you had to kill a hydra to get some item it dropped. and if you didnt pick it up it would dissapear after a bit and the hydra would return and you had to kill it again. seems like a good place to farm them.

You're correct, only that's a Cyclops at the Ishtar Cliffs, not a Hydra.

I think that's a Cyclops not a Hydra.

Ji66a-Man

Also, Venus public events at the Citadel or Ishtar Cliffs are always(?) Prevent Vex Sacrifices which can net you anywhere from 3-5 Hydras

Majors don't count towards Grimoire progress, only red bar enemies of that type.

I took it entirely as speculation based upon Deej's wording but OK, I can see why people have a problem with the headline and article - that it comes across as more official than pure speculation and without follow-up, and thus its clickbaity-ness.

In other news I am looking forward to that arena. Saw some other gameplay videos and am starting to realize how much dynamic spawning can change up the Destiny formula. There's a certain comfort in knowing what enemies are where when redoing strikes and missions, and a definite unease when facing the unknown.

Wallach

Preliminary patches like this are scheduled in advance so that they can test the content in the actual game world behind the scenes IMO... Not to give them wiggle room in case there are "technical problems" with the patch itself.

There's a bunch of reasons you patch platform stuff like this beforehand. One of which is just so you can immediately enable content on a rollover so they don't have any downtime in the transition. But it also does allow them to check for platform/deploy issues early. Main goal here is generally to reduce potential triage and maximize CCU/DAU with the deploy.

Deku Tree

There's a bunch of reasons you patch platform stuff like this beforehand. One of which is just so you can immediately enable content on a rollover so they don't have any downtime in the transition. But it also does allow them to check for platform/deploy issues early. Main goal here is generally to reduce potential triage and maximize CCU/DAU with the deploy.

CCU/DAU? You involved in work that deploys DLC to consoles?

ethomaz

Banned
Funny enough, there's exactly ONE Ogre that you can encounter patrolling Cosmodrome. He's located in a tiny back cave in the Grottos where you fight Sardon in the Fist of Crota mission.

Is it read bar health?

These Hydras didn't work because they are yellow enemies... just read health bar counts.

Ganhyun

For people grinding Hydras, Just Patrol Mars and go to the Black Garden entrance. The Hydra there respawns in like 30 seconds once the enemies are dead.

GhaleonEB

In other news I am looking forward to that arena. Saw some other gameplay videos and am starting to realize how much dynamic spawning can change up the Destiny formula. There's a certain comfort in knowing what enemies are where when redoing strikes and missions, and a definite unease when facing the unknown.

Yeah, that is also one of the reasons I'm looking forward to it. That combined with rotating / random modifiers and changing orders of enemy types will give the mode a lot of longevity the strikes are missing. Those quickly turn into a speed run of sorts, as experienced players work to dismantle a known encounter. I love the idea of having to constantly improvise.

raindoc

Patrol. Need I say more?

I've used my Timur's in PVP but the low rate of fire + low mag is kind much of an annoyance. I'm too used to the stats of a Hawkmoon. :p

Mine has luck in the chamber and send it so I roll with it. With 7 rounds it procs about as often as Hawkmoon would and if I run out of ammo mid firefight or get surprised I go to Plan C.

boofa

Neo Member
Never really paid attention, but decided to check my kill counts with all this discussion and actually have far more Hydra kills than Ogre (204 vs 135). Not sure where they all came from because I would have guessed Ogres would be higher.

I wonder if the lvl 28 PoE will be a good place to get kills seeing as hopefully everything won't be yellow at that level. Not a good farm if all you're looking for is the card, but could be a good boost.

Hydra is way faster in the last mission... you need to run too much to reach the Oger and back to die.

Having personally done the Grind for Grimoire for both Hydra and Ogre, I can tell you this:

Ogres are more rare, there are a total of 3 that spawn in patrols. 2 on Cosmodrom (Skywatch and Grottos) and 1 on the Moon (entrance to Temple of Crota).

The fastest Ogre cycle is 36-37 seconds seen here. It takes place in the Shrine of Oryx mission.

The fastest Hydra "cycle" is right outside the gate to the black garden. There are plenty of Hydra that spawn in Vex missions, but a lot of them are either Majors/Ultras (and those DON'T COUNT!) or they aren't close enough to a checkpoint to have a good cycle. The Black Garden gate cycle can be done in about 55-65 seconds. The problem here is that the Hydra spawns with 2 Hobos and 4 Minotaurs. You have to kill all of these enemies to trigger the respawn cooldown.

There are also possible delays for the Black Garden gate if any nearby player actually wants to use it for it's intended purpose. It causes a hiccup in the respawn. Similarly, the visual haze effect of opening the portal can be an issue as well.

TL;DR Approx 90 Ogres/hour vs 50 Hydra/hour

ethomaz

Banned
Having personally done the Grind for Grimoire for both Hydra and Ogre, I can tell you this:

Ogres are more rare, there are a total of 3 that spawn in patrols. 2 on Cosmodrom (Skywatch and Grottos) and 1 on the Moon (entrance to Temple of Crota).

The fastest Ogre cycle is 36-37 seconds seen here. It takes place in the Shrine of Oryx mission.

The fastest Hydra "cycle" is right outside the gate to the black garden. There are plenty of Hydra that spawn in Vex missions, but a lot of them are either Majors/Ultras (and those DON'T COUNT!) or they aren't close enough to a checkpoint to have a good cycle. The Black Garden gate cycle can be done in about 55-65 seconds. The problem here is that the Hydra spawns with 2 Hobos and 4 Minotaurs. You have to kill all of these enemies to trigger the respawn cooldown.

There are also possible delays for the Black Garden gate if any nearby player actually wants to use it for it's intended purpose. It causes a hiccup in the respawn. Similarly, the visual haze effect of opening the portal can be an issue as well.

TL;DR Approx 90 Ogres/hour vs 50 Hydra/hour
I'm using that place for Ogers.

About Hydras the last mission on Mars near the part you need to turn on two points before enters in the last boss part there is a Hydra. Kill it and die... the kill/die cycle is a bit faster than Ogers... I guess 25-30s max... I did my Hydra grind in 2 hours I guess.

Edit - Here is the place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ2YHmSgwlo (Opposite of the video I just go to the Hydra and when I kill it I was almost dead by the others enemies).

Wallach

Can I ask what is CCU/DAU?

Concurrent users (the number of people online at a given time) and daily active users (the total number of unique players that logged into the game at all that day). There's a bunch of relevant metrics related to activity and retention but those two are the most commonly analyzed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom