• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.

stb

Yep, because they're so diferent. I like variety in my gaming. That's why I'm always playing 2 or 3 games concurrently, on console and PC.

I guess I don't like to... soil is the closest word I can think of... the fun and good times I had with any sort of regret. Value has diferent meaning for people, and the only value I care about in my hobbies is "did I enjoy this?" If the answer is yes, I don't care about the number of hours or the money I've spent.

Now I'm not (completely) insane, so I'm not gonna waste ungodly amounts of money in stupid crap. But if it's within my budget, all I care about is if I enjoyed it.

Most of my RL pals are on the same page as you, but I'm a serial monogamist for games.

I generally only spend ~3-5 hours a week on games, and if I play too many at once, I don't make the progress in them I'd like to. Inevitably, new stuff comes out, and the older titles get shelved, then I feel like I "wasted" the game and the money I spent on it. Even if it's within budget, I can't shake the feeling the money wasn't spent well, and could have been better allocated on something else (e.g. beer).

Before Destiny, I was generally playing 2 games at a time:
- whatever the current Battlefield game was (PC)
- the console flavor of the month/quarter (never FPS games)

Destiny scratches the shooter itch for me, so I've been a one-game man since September.

nOoblet16

Only fusion rifle in the game with the bonus damage to oracles so you would be chewing through them probably as fast as corrective measure can.

The problem with using a fusion rifles in Atheon section is that you don't have a Sniper when you come out, so you can't really do much damage to Atheon.

And those who'd rather fire a rocket and mess with the team's DPS...no one likes you and I will judge you if you use a rocket launcher in that part. :p

wha's anomaly?

The_Anomaly.jpg

Silly.

Kalamari

So my loot so far from all of my Crota runs and kept:

3 x Oversoul Edict
3 x Abyss Defiant
3 x Fang of Ir Yût
3 x Hunger of Crota
3 x Light of the Abyss
3 x Swordbreaker
3 x Word of Crota

I've gotten multiple from the above too that I've dismantled.

I am kind of losing my mind at how I keep missing out on Black Hammer. At this point, it isn’t that funny anymore.

I am kinda hoping that White Nail pops up on HoW vendor snipers.

Lima

The problem with using a fusion rifles in Atheon section is that you don't have a Sniper when you come out, so you can't really do much damage to Atheon.

And those who'd rather fire a rocket and mess with the team's DPS...no one likes you and I will judge you if you use a rocket launcher in that part. :p

Dafuq am I reading? Mess with the DPS? What?

Come out and rocket him to death in one portal. That is how you do Atheon.

Besides fusion rifles do mighty damage against Atheon. The everyone to the relic bubble strategy is the worst. Bonus points if you use that middle platform. Congrats you just wasted a whole persons DPS to do nothing but stand around.

one of the worst maps in the game

don't mind me tho. i have a 2 page rant saved up for another time

It's good for FFA, and terrible for most Team games. Like pretty much every other asymmetrical map. :/

Besides fusion rifles do mighty damage against Atheon. The everyone to the relic bubble strategy is the worst. Bonus points if you use that middle platform. Congrats you just wasted a whole persons DPS to do nothing but stand around.

Rocket explosions cause Aetheon to do his little jig and move around, thus causing snipers to lose their crit spot shot.

So my friends and I tried to do a flawless run practice, smooth run until Deathsinger glitched. She went outside the crystal room and started singing below the crystal room. We didnt know it until it was too late. RIP flawless trophy

Most of my RL pals are on the same page as you, but I'm a serial monogamist for games.

I generally only spend ~3-5 hours a week on games, and if I play too many at once, I don't make the progress in them I'd like to. Inevitably, new stuff comes out, and the older titles get shelved, then I feel like I "wasted" the game and the money I spent on it. Even if it's within budget, I can't shake the feeling the money wasn't spent well, and could have been better allocated on something else (e.g. beer).

Before Destiny, I was generally playing 2 games at a time:
- whatever the current Battlefield game was (PC)
- the console flavor of the month/quarter (never FPS games)

Destiny scratches the shooter itch for me, so I've been a one-game man since September.

I don't like beer. :p

But seriously, what matters is what works for you. You like to focus on one game, I like to play several diferent types concurrently.

The whole buying something that might be shelved, I think about that before I buy anything. If I bought it already I just don't think about it that way, because if I bought it, it means I really wanted to have it.

We just have different thought processes.

TheOddOne

So my friends and I tried to do a flawless run practice smooth run until Deathsinger glitched. She went outside the crystal room and started singing below the crystal room. We didnt know it until it was too late. RIP flawless trophy
The weirdest thing I've seen on that part is that she gets stuck in the glass and you can't kill her. Four people with Ghorn doing work and she just stands there dancing.

Challenge accepted, Breezy and I are doing VOG rocket only hard mode...

I shouLd probably tell Breezy.

It's good for FFA, and terrible for most Team games. Like pretty much every other asymmetrical map. :/.

i don't think it's good for anything.

In Rumble, it's too segmented. Segmentation is good so that you can fight someone in "your space" and not be killed from behind immediately. But too much of it means a lot of running around and chasing kills.

in Skirmish, it's a campfest. The green cave area has been colloquially referred to as "Forget the Rest" spot for the former clan that used to sit in here with final round snipers. If one team isn't doing that, they're running around with blink and shotgun or hard scoping around B. and then both teams sit on the other side of the map until heavy ammo comes up since it's dangerous to contest it on your own (compared to other maps).

Control and Clash speak for themselves.

Then there's the geometry. I mentioned before that it's a rather simple layout that's overbuilt, but its biggest problem is probably the visual noise.

crucible_the_anomaly.jpg

There are too many effects and textures in the center on top of rotating geometry. It's just distracting.

Another Dead Orbit rank, another pang of disappointment as Revenant doesn't drop.

I should clean out my Vault, I have too many legendary weapons stored. I'll start a round of 'Grind or Shard?' on here.

Control.....it's either go to B or C.

I hate this game type.

I love objective game types, so Control and Salvage are typically my only options since Bungie's new philosophy of "We can't make the score rest on the efforts of 1 player".

Of course, Control is really just clash with more directed/controlled action.

I just hope they are learning with Map layouts. I'm super worried about that new map "Timekeeper". From what I've seen, it's literally like they doubled down on the current philosophy and stuck A and C right next to each other with B being out by itself. As if people are still going to fight over B. B will be the bastard spawn while the competent teams hold A and C together since they are within sight of each other.

stb

I don't like beer. :p

But seriously, what matters is what works for you. You like to focus on one game, I like to play several diferent types concurrently.

The whole buying something that might be shelved, I think about that before I buy anything. If I bought it already I just don't think about it that way, because if I bought it, it means I really wanted to have it.

We just have different thought processes.

Yep. To each their own. I was just explaining my process/hangup. Sorry; I didn't intend to come off critical.

Well, except for the not liking beer, that's inexcusable. =)

shem935

Banned

And here I present to you the only use case for no land beyond.

No land beyond
Praetorian Foil
Corrective measure

Hahaha. Zoba, do you like any of the maps?

Honestly, no. I have a preference depending on the gametype though.

I think Cauldron, Rusted Lands, Firebase Delphi and Blind Watch play well for everything other than Control. I don't groan when those maps pop up.

I have a love/hate relationship with Asylum, so I don't know how I feel about it yet.

nOoblet16

Your ~24K damage with each rocket (that takes 2 seconds between each fire since you have to jump and shoot and plus the reload time to load another two rockets) absolutely pales in comparison to the non stop 20K per second damage you can do with with one Blackhammer. When 4 people are hitting him with Blackhammer then you are the one who's causing the issue by making him move all for that 24k damage.

It's not even up for argument. Blackhammer is the only weapon in the game that has the potential to do a higher DPS than Gjallarhorn (in specific cases ofcourse, and this being one of those cases).

And here I present to you the only use case for no land beyond.

No land beyond
Praetorian Foil
Corrective measure

You could kill him with just throwing knives and grenades if you want, it'd take forever but it's doable. The point I am making is that when you want to get the kill fast so that you can move on to other stuff as is the case when we play most of the time) the Blackhammer is the fastest option and using rockets lowers the DPS, it's not even up for debate. Also why would you want to use the foil if you already have the Corrective Measure ? Two corrective measure on the oracles take it down quick as hell.

The weirdest thing I've seen on that part is that she gets stuck in the glass and you can't kill her. Four people with Ghorn doing work and she just stands there dancing.

My weirdest CE memory is a tie. I can't decide between the time the Gatekeeper strolled up into the Crystal Room during HM Crota, constantly chasing us around, or the time the Swordbearer followed us up there, also during a HM run. Both were goddamn terrifying.

I honestly don't like any of the maps either. I mean I don't hate them or anything, but it's one of those few games where they all seem underwhelming and I don't really have anything favorites. If I had to pick it would be Rustlands and Shores of Time.

Your ~24K damage with each rocket (that takes 2 seconds betwween each fire and plus the reload time to load another two rockets) absolutely pales in comparison to the non stop 20K per second damage you can do with with one Blackhammer. When 4 people are hitting him with Blackhammer then you are the one who's causing the issue by making him move all for that 24k damage.

Woah now... Stop using logic and math in an argument on the internet. Go back re-write the statement and include a jab about someone's mother and crap about knowing insiders!

(my work here is done, internet debates are saved!)

Yep. To each their own. I was just explaining my process/hangup. Sorry; I didn't intend to come off critical.

Well, except for the not liking beer, that's inexcusable. =)

No worries, I didn't think it was.

Yeah, the beer thing surprises most people. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom