• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

Not sure how reliable all the Reddit posters are, but apparently the best you can get is a ~30 second cooldown on grenades/melee, and a 4 minute cooldown on your super. That almost makes Intellect seem like kind of a waste. I thought that maxing Intellect meant it cut your cooldown time in half.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/36mkuf/sga_choosing_armor_to_upgrade_to_lvl_34/

With all the new gear and old gear to choose from… before you upgrade your armor:
A. Think about your Super(Intellect), Grenade(Discipline), and Melee(Strength) cooldown boosts.

Every 3 points of INT = 1 second faster SUPER cooldown.
Every 8 points of DIS = 1 second faster GRENADE cooldown.
Every 7 points of STR = 1 second faster MELEE cooldown.
271 is the max stat you can hit for each.

No Stats - 0
INT: 5:30
DIS: 1:00
STR: 1:09

Maxed Stats - 271
INT: 3:55
DIS: 0:27
STR: 0:31

*Note: You cannot max all three. You can get about 70% across all of them or max 2 and leave the 3rd.
I'd still run intellect and discipline for ToO, simply be because two throwing knife with a cool down of 1:09 (or slightly less if running 70% each or so across all three) is more than enough. Super on the other hand, you would want to get as fast as possible so any cool down even if it's by 30 seconds is good.

Haha I understand. They essentially locked goodies in a mode that some people will never be able to do. I played a few times and got matched with pure 34s with thorns and everything maxed every damn time. Literally ever time. We're were all 32s

Sure, level differences don't matter all that much. But just the fact they were able to reach 34 soooo quickly (this was mid last week) just indicated they were a level of hardcore that We'd never be able to compete with

Hah, we had a match against 3 thorn using sunsingers and one using a final round sniper yesterday. Can't believe we pulled that one out, lol. That path to 9-0 was filled with some crazy stuff.

Z3M0G

Honestly, while I really like this DLC, I'm not sure any of it has staying power. Most people who play alot are already 34 on at least one character, so there's not really a progression aspect. The variability of PoE seems pretty limited. There's no 'hard mode' coming or anything as far as I know.

I'm not sure what ToO will look like in a few weeks. Will elite players find it fun enough without skill-based matchmaking? Will lower level players find it intensely frustrating and give up? I expect Bungie to ease the requirements to get into Mercury. That will have a backlash, but this game has never locked the best gear behind a fairly high skill hurdle like this does.

The other thing is that there are no longer any 6-man end game activities. This is disappointing to me - coming back to do a raid every week with a bigger group kept me playing after TDB for far longer than I would have otherwise.

I'm thinking they bell curved it so that mid-range players get more play time out of this and more content to do, while Elite players are expected to burn through it in a week or two, and that's just how it is. With this DLC, Bungie had to address the hordes of people who stopped playing months ago, not the ones who kept playing all this time. Those people will keep playing regardless.

For the Elite players, and those who enjoy raiding, what it sounds like they need to do is just free-patch in Lvl35 versions of both raids.

ich00

Haha I understand. They essentially locked goodies in a mode that some people will never be able to do. I played a few times and got matched with pure 34s with thorns and everything maxed every damn time. Literally ever time. We're were all 32s

Sure, level differences don't matter all that much. But just the fact they were able to reach 34 soooo quickly (this was mid last week) just indicated they were a level of hardcore that We'd never be able to compete with

More of the problem it seems is that going 9-0 guarantees one of the new elemental damage weapons, while beating lvl 35 PoE has a small chance of dropping one. That's at least my issue. VoG and crota both had opportunities to get weapons in normal and hard mode that had elemental. PoE it seems only gives he chance at 35, the lower lvls give you the cores and etheric light.

I'd rather upgrade some of my older guns anyways, most of the new ones just don't seem that great, or at least better than what I have.

vctor182

So, is there no way of me beating Skolas without a Gjallarhorn?

Black hammer is your 2nd best bet. That fight is intense and amazing, but can be frustrating if you don't know how to handle the mines or debuff. I maxed my VoC instead of Fatebringer first because of that fight!

chugs

Neo Member
Curious question guys. I got out of Destiny before the first DLC dropped (haven't bought any).

Is it a significant issue if I skip the first DLC and just buy the second?

LTWood12

I know the feels. Never ever thought I'd get to Mercury. Then randomly get invited to Unstable's chat and my fairy godmother Hawkian gave up his spot for me. Going 9-0 was so fun I can't wait to do it again sometime. Feel like I learned so much

lt519

Black hammer is your 2nd best bet. That fight is intense and amazing, but can be frustrating if you don't know how to handle the mines or debuff. I maxed my VoC instead of Fatebringer first because of that fight!

Vex does 800 per headshot and an non upgraded black hammer will do 8192 with a weapons of light. Hunger of Crota somewhere around 5000 before the scatter mines. Golden gun 4k per shot. There is a bunch of ways to deal damage to him without a Horn but a Horn is the most effective way and time is critical before too many adds show up.

I found Black Hammer hard to get consistent head shots if started warping and wasn't locked so I'd switch to the hunger/golden gun/vex to do damage. Never beat him with two other titans and Horns ):

Dave_6

I know the feels. Never ever thought I'd get to Mercury. Then randomly get invited to Unstable's chat and my fairy godmother Hawkian gave up his spot for me. Going 9-0 was so fun I can't wait to do it again sometime. Feel like I learned so much

Glad you made it! I'm so jelly. Watching Zoba's stream right now and it's amazing. Hopefully I can get in with them or maybe Unstable sometime tonight or this week.

Zoba's knife skills are like something out of a damn movie. Like when a guy was running away and turned the corner and he threw it perfectly next to the corner to get him.

Shito

More of the problem it seems is that going 9-0 guarantees one of the new elemental damage weapons, while beating lvl 35 PoE has a small chance of dropping one. That's at least my issue. VoG and crota both had opportunities to get weapons in normal and hard mode that had elemental. PoE it seems only gives he chance at 35, the lower lvls give you the cores and etheric light.

I'd rather upgrade some of my older guns anyways, most of the new ones just don't seem that great, or at least better than what I have.
Yes, the main problem with PoE gear for me isn't so much about the drop rate (we are used to crappy drop rate now anyways), but rather the quality of it: nothing stands out enough to deal with the artificial difficulty bullshit that is 35.
I've wanted the Black Hammer ever since I first saw someone post a screen of its stats and perks, to this day I'm still hunting a Fatebringer or the Fang, but I've seen nothing in the HoW gear (outside of ToO) that would seem worth my time or being excited about.

Future

If they matched a bit based on skill it would be nice. street fighter online tournaments often had the first matches relatively easy and then the last ones hard (since you have to win previous matches to get to the championship). Then overall your ranking would improve matching you with better players as time went on. In ToO you could get hit with the brick wall match 1

Doing something like that would probably extend matchmaking times though in a game where the base has to be pretty splintered. But because it's so splintered.... Who's actually playing ToO? People that bought DLC and were already high level due to raid completion. The hardcore.

So yeah, I agree they should ensure a few other methods to get some of the cool stuff. I mean the 9-0 restriction? God damn

9-0 on all characters! Thanks for the run Kartik and Zocano. That was awesome!

Got the solar auto. Just missing the HC.

Also got this from gold package:

11357151_1106139316066806_8966099298935051433_o.jpg

Best looking Trials helmet.

My god you guys must be studs in ToO. I'm pretty decent in clash but get absolutely wrecked in ToO.

vctor182

Vex does 800 per headshot and an non upgraded black hammer will do 8192 with a weapons of light. Hunger of Crota somewhere around 5000 before the scatter mines. Golden gun 4k per shot. There is a bunch of ways to deal damage to him without a Horn but a Horn is the most effective way and time is critical before too many adds show up.

I found Black Hammer hard to get consistent head shots if started warping and wasn't locked so I'd switch to the hunger/golden gun/vex to do damage. Never beat him with two other titans and Horns ):

We managed to beat him on saturday, 2 hunters and a warlock. Me and the warlock had horns but since we are on PS3 the menu screens takes a crap load of time during intense fights like this and couldn't use heavy synths. We went on circles stopping only on the corners where the servitor bonds spawned, one draw attention of the ads and the other two sniped skolas, when the bait was getting overwhelmed by the ads we started to move all this while switching the tainted 5 seconds before it killed one of us.

border

Yes, the main problem with PoE gear for me isn't so much about the drop rate (we are used to crappy drop rate now anyways), but rather the quality of it: nothing stands out enough to deal with the artificial difficulty bullshit that is 35.
I've wanted the Black Hammer ever since I first someone post a screen of its stats and perks, to this day I'm still hunting a Fatebringer or the Fang, but I've seen nothing in the HoW gear (outside of ToO) that would seem worth my time or being excited about.

"Not very good loot" seems like a problem with the entire House of Wolves expansion though. It's nice that people can get elemental primaries from ToO, but I don't see anything outstanding about the ones that are being dropped in there.

Jaleel

Since I'm posting it on Destiny LFG I might as well post it here since the quality of players is probably immensely better.

33 Defender with HoS14 and 365 Ghorn and Rockets looking for PoE 34 and/or 35 carry team. Paypal 10$ for 34 per player and 20$ for 35 per player.

I'm serious. I'm bored. I have money. Someone help me and make a buck while at it. It might become lucrative for you ;)

PSN: Jibreel

lt519

Since I'm posting it on Destiny LFG I might as well post it here since the quality of players is probably immensely better.

33 Defender with HoS14 and 365 Ghorn and Rockets looking for PoE 34 and/or 35 carry team. Paypal 10$ for 34 per player and 20$ for 35 per player.

I'm serious. I'm bored. I have money. Someone help me and make a buck while at it. It might become lucrative for you ;)

I'd run some PoE 34, with my 34 warlock, I've beaten it twice already so know the ropes but it'd be nice if we had one more defender or a blade dancer.

Edit: and no payments required here on GAF, get that shit out of here :p

Lnkn52

Wow that's totally not necessary. Just keep looking at the board and someone would kindly offer to help free of charge.

Shito

"Not very good loot" seems like a problem with the entire House of Wolves expansion though. It's nice that people can get elemental primaries from ToO, but I don't see anything outstanding about the ones that are being dropped in there.
Well, ToO weapons do seem to have crazy good stats, and perks oriented for PVP, which makes total sense.
The fact that they do elemental damage does not, though, it's like Bungie wanted to reward ToO gods with good PVP weapons, but somehow still decided that they should also be able to do high-end PVE with them if they wanted to.

[EDIT]
Top of the page...

lz1sz.jpg

LTWood12

Glad you made it! I'm so jelly. Watching Zoba's stream right now and it's amazing. Hopefully I can get in with them or maybe Unstable sometime tonight or this week.

It was incredible. I put it up there with my first VoG clear and first HM crota clear as my best Destiny experiences. I'd put my first 32 and 34 PoE up there too. It's been such a fun week. Hope I can pay it forward soon.

zewone

The scout and hand cannon are great.

Now I have decent 365 void weapons.

Jaleel

I'd run some PoE 34, with my 34 warlock, I've beaten it twice already so know the ropes but it'd be nice if we had one more defender or a blade dancer.

Edit: and no payments required here on GAF, get that shit out of here :p

If you have a bud and want to help me please send me a chat invite on PSN: Jibreel

Does anyone know if you have to have the Life Steal bubble selected on your Voidwalker in order to get Strength of the Ram to work or can I use a different melee and essentially have two powers for it each time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom