• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone actually gotten an elemental primary drop from Skolas yet? I looked up all the primaries on planet destiny and they all seem very meh to me. I'm not sure the grind is worth it. My time might be better spent playing crucible to get better for ToO since all of those weapons look very nice.

Yeah got a solar hand cannon few hours ago.

Daemul

I am sure Bungie will be looking at completion stats closely. I bet Qodros is much lower than Urrox. Hopefully we get some fixes for future instances.

Is Qodros really that hard for people? Level 34 Urrox was a much bigger pain in the ass for my group since we had to keep jumping up and down every 30 secs, exposing ourselves to wizards, ogres and knights in the process. We were all level 33's when we faced Urrox though so that may be the reason.

EDIT:MrGreencastle said it all. Qodros isn't that hard guys.

PuMa

Jump! is T-Mobile's fancypants way of allowing phone upgrades before a phone is paid off despite not having contracts. As long as it's at least half paid off, Jump! covers all remaining payments. Basically, I paid $0 down for my Note 3, but I'm not done paying it off. Jump! lets me give it back to them and get a brand new phone also for $0 down, and just start paying for the new one. But, I have to pick one of the ones available through the program, which includes just about every flagship, but not stuff like the OnePlus One or Huawei.

Ah I see. Well that is quite fancypants.

When are you doing your Trials groups btw? Are there signups?

The Horn is not needed to kill Qodros, the amount of time you required to let your heavy ammo CD on the airlock is the same as the normal fight.

Still the modifier is the one that really cripples you to deal with the adds

LTWood12

I've run it 3 times, each class, with 3 different groups this week. One of the groups had a level 33 with pretty much no "big" exotics. Qodron fight difficulty is being hugely inflated in here, in my opinion. It's surprising that people can manage Vault of Glass or Crota and yet find this "impossible" without Ghorn or some sort of DPS spam. Take your time, Qodron doesn't have that much health.

Our strategy was to use the right side of the stage and aggressively retreating to cover against the broken stones when enemies start to overwhelm.

1 person has a fast firing shotgun like Found Verdict, Swordbreaker, etc. Preferably the highest level of the group. They are in charge of spotting and killing the Eye goblin. It is important not to kill him too soon, or else the Jailbreak buff won't last through the detain field part. This person is also in charge of clearing as many adds as possible, but when it get's hectic, the other 2 need to help out and ignore Qodron. Don't be afraid to back down when your health is low and wait for it to fully recharge - the Vex advance very slowly if you crouch and hug a rock. The killed adds will be your best source of ammo, but also don't be afraid to burn a special or heavy synth when needed. If someone dies, ignore Qodron, take cover to the right, and fight the adds until their timer allows for a revive

The other 2 are mainly going to be firing on Qodron when they get the chance. Snipers and Rockets are important here, as well as your best scout rifle. Again, back down when you need to and pay attention to when the detain field comes up and shoot it.

The biggest mistake people make here is trying to take on the Hobgoblins one at a time. This won't work. You need to hit each one after the other to get them to go into their stun shield. Then whittle their health down one by one. The person in charge of taking down the eye should be using everything they have except their fast firing shotgun. Rockets and a solid Hand Cannon would work best here.

When the detain shield comes up after killing the Eye around 10 seconds in advance, the shotgun person will need to shoot each field twice, for a total of 6 shots to release all 3 people. If your shotty is only 4 or 5, do 2 shots on your field, reload 1, 2 more shots on the other field, reload 1, and 2 more shots on the last field. As much as possible, the shotgunner should try to stay between the other 2 players. They mostly ignore Qodron for the entire fight. The other two players will be shooting their fields with their primaries while this is going on to get in a little extra damage.

Communication is key. As well as not being aggressive. This fight is all about knowing when to take cover, and calling out when the enemies are starting to overwhelm. I bet most people will take him down fairly easily after about 6-7 minutes of this. Much better than trying to spam DPS on him up front trying to avoid detain round and wiping over and over again because people don't want to learn the mechanic.

I've seen most people say to go to the left because that's where the eye spawns. You think the right is better? Our group just kept having a hard time finding the damn goblin.

hydruxo

Super Good Advice is a really thoughtful pick. Slender mentioned it last night too. Good call.

Yeah, will one person dedicating rockets to adds it's more doable legit. But when trying that out, I killed the Eye numerous times when I wasn't supposed to :(

I do feel like the fight would feel very different with a different modifier.

Yeah we had one person dedicated to looking for the Eye, so if he was in a certain area I'd try to make sure I didn't shoot rockets near it. Definitely happened a few times on accident though. I know one time the Eye was just chillin up on that middle platform right next to the boss and we didn't know where he was until I shot a rocket at Qodron and my wolfpack rounds killed the Eye just in time.

It's almost like the Swordbearer all over again lol.

Is Qodros really that hard for people? Level 34 Urrox was a much bigger pain in the ass for my group since we had to keep jumping up and down every 30 secs, exposing ourselves to wizards, ogres and knights in the process. We were all level 33's when we faced Urrox though so that may be the reason.

EDIT:MrGreencastle said it all. Qodros isn't that hard guys.

Thought Urrox was very straight forward. Found a good spot with cover and just Ghorn/Black Hammer away while one person focuses on adds.

Never got into a good rhythm for Qodros. Felt like all we did was fight adds and prepare for detain. Very little damage going to boss at all.

Thought Urrox was very straight forward. Found a good spot with cover and just Ghorn/Black Hammer away while one person focuses on adds.

Never got into a good rhythm for Qodros. Felt like all we did was fight adds and prepare for detain. Very little damage going to boss at all.

The Eye spawn is pretty erratic, maybe random, I felt like I was in a Word of Warcraft boss battle without tanks, or healers or something telling me what do I need to do or aim.

Raybunny

Hey guys! Joined NeoGAF not long ago cause of Destiny even though I been lurking for years.

Too much destinylfg tired me hence my presence here. I think I am a fair pve"er" and an average pvp"er" (you guys let me know) but for personal and professional reasons ( 120% and 30% respectively. I know it doesn't make sense) will have to forfeit on most of my gaming activities, investments like SC and resources. One of those moments where you have to make a serious choice.

All good though. Seriousness I would say very but nothing that will kill me.

So wish you guys the best and surely will keep myself lurking around when I can.

forrest

formerly nacire
Okay Guardians, this is on topic cause the primary purpose of it will be Destiny apps!

What's the right phone for me: Note 4, Note Edge, LG G4, HTC M9? I currently have a Note 3 and love it except for the build quality. Mine in particular is defective (erratic charging) and it is time to Jump. bestow upon me your super good advice.

Nothing but touch screen issues out of my HTC m8, couldn't be more displeased with this phone personally.

raindoc

Hey guys! Joined NeoGAF not long ago cause of Destiny even though I been lurking for years.

Too much destinylfg tired me hence my presence here. I think I am a fair pve"er" and an average pvp"er" (you guys let me know) but for personal and professional reasons ( 120% and 30% respectively. I know it doesn't make sense) will have to forfeit on most of my gaming activities, investments like SC and resources. One of those moments where you have to make a serious choice.

So wish you guys the best and surely will keep myself lurking around when I can.

I'll miss you. :(
Best of luck for whatever you're up to!

I've seen most people say to go to the left because that's where the eye spawns. You think the right is better? Our group just kept having a hard time finding the damn goblin.

We found right vastly easier than the left. There's hardly any cover on the left and the enemies can get around you much easier. On the right, the platform Qodron is on is angled toward you, which helps a lot with visibility and rockets if you don't have tracking. There's also way more broken rocks for cover, a large section in the back that is great to lay low when trying to avoid Qodron's mortars, and a building in front that naturally splits the advancing Vex.

Make sure to keep an eye on the hallway coming from airlock, you'll get 3 or 4 hobgoblins coming from here.

Also, don't start shooting the Eye goblin too early when you see him spawn underneath Qodron. If you do, he'll stay back which makes him much harder to kill. Take cover from most of the adds while taking out the little goblins one by one, and peek out, he'll come to you most every time. Make sure everyone is looking for him every 30 seconds or so. Shotgunner should be using their rockets and grenades to take him out about 10 seconds before the text will come up for Qodron searching for targets. It may take a few tries to get the timing right.

The other 2 players will either be sniping, firing scouts, or shooting rockets on Qodron for most of the fight, except when things get hectic. If you focus on taking out most of the hobgoblins and goblins first, and use cover liberally, the slowness of the advancing Vex will give the 2 DPSers a decent 10-15 second window to shoot Qodron before he starts to detain. This may take a couple detain cycles before the enemies are mostly dealt with, so if the shotgunner needs help, they need to say so - of course all 3 should be aware of where the Eye is, and each fireteam member's positions in case line of sight with the shotgunner is cut off. They can help with damaging the Eye, but should not kill it - focus more on taking cover to the back wall from Qodron and try to distract the rest of the enemies taking pot shots here and there.

Personally, I found the 34 boss last week much more difficult.

LTWood12

Sorry to hear that Ray. Wish you the best as you go through whatever these difficulties are you're going through. Hope you can stick around and post every once in awhile :)

Okay Guardians, this is on topic cause the primary purpose of it will be Destiny apps!

What's the right phone for me: Note 4, Note Edge, LG G4, HTC M9? I currently have a Note 3 and love it except for the build quality. Mine in particular is defective (erratic charging) and it is time to Jump. bestow upon me your super good advice.

I'm really liking what I see w/ the G4. Have a One M7 that I'll be rid of in Sept. Not sure I want another One (been a good phone though).

Sorry to hear that Ray, wish you best of luck and we're always here..

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Our strategy was to use the right side of the stage and aggressively retreating to cover against the broken stones when enemies start to overwhelm.

Communication is key. As well as not being aggressive. This fight is all about knowing when to take cover, and calling out when the enemies are starting to overwhelm. I bet most people will take him down fairly easily after about 6-7 minutes of this. Much better than trying to spam DPS on him up front trying to avoid detain round and wiping over and over again because people don't want to learn the mechanic.
I really appreciate the strategy write-up- we were trying that basic outlay except using the left side, which in hindsight does seem like the more dangerous choice compared to the right side.

It would be disingenuous of me not to address your last bit there. It's silly to accuse or insinuate that we didn't want to learn the mechanic. Of course we did. I hate ignoring intended mechanics in boss fights possibly more than almost anyone else you'll find on this board. The fact that we had to just pop synths and wait out a cooldown timer to be ready to start the fight is disgusting to me. We, in fact, did learn it, and while we hadn't mastered the Eye's behavior (sometimes he seemed to come to us, sometimes not?) we were communicating well and distributing roles in about exactly the way you described. I was on adds, but found myself constantly short on special ammo and on a couple of attempts was basically firing one rocket per Axis Hobgoblin as long as it lasted.

We tried for over 10 attempts this way. We made marginal progress but never got his health below around 70%. On our second try going full DPS, we killed him, with a level 33 among us. So take that for what you will.

I personally consider the fight itself to be well-designed, but not well-tuned. The sort of constant dance with the adds while handling the detain and whittling down the boss might be a lot of fun with small adjustments- in fact, some modifier that can be leveraged, versus Trickle, might well be all it needs. But in this presentation it was hard to feel like my usual stance of "doing it legit isn't actually any harder, and is way more fun" really holds up to scrutiny. After all, killing him quickly with outright DPS isn't exactly cheese. We didn't exploit geometry or abuse mechanics in unintended ways, and it did wind up feeling satisfying to take him down. The issue was the fact that our success was tied to heavy synth cooldowns, and in large part I'd like to see the fight completed in some hybrid strategy where he is taken to below half health, the Eye and detain fields are handled once, and then he's finished before a second detain- something I can see as 100% possible with Small Arms, a Burn or even Brawler active. But in this case, it was plainly obvious after the first try that the raw DPS strategy was simply more viable than the other for our group, and that's not a good thing.

noomi

On my way :)

Thanks for the checkpoint!

*edit*

Hunters <3
Qbcvs0A.jpg

Thanks for the checkpoint raindoc, but no luck lon. I guess I need to pay atheon, ir yut, and crota a visit this week.

Edit: phone corrected your name to rainbow lol

34 boss wasnt that bad. just need snipers for gobbys and the boss and an LMG for the bubbles. huddle and cuddle in the far left so you're less exposed and play the way Bungie intended.

flame prince without a titan was harder

That sucks you're leaving but hopefully you will be back one day! You will be missed. Good luck and god speed with whatever the reason you are leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom