• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I haven't played this in a while but I'm getting back into it and have never completed a raid or have done a Nightfall strike. Is anyone up for that tonight or sometime this week? I'm on PS4
If you're interested Hawkian does a new player raid every Thursday I believe.

I have yet to try it this week, but ppl constantly complaining about PoE 34 and 35 is starting to worry me. So it's harder than last week for sure?

cilonen

So I haven't played this in a while but I'm getting back into it and have never completed a raid or have done a Nightfall strike. Is anyone up for that tonight or sometime this week? I'm on PS4

I have a plan for tonight but shoot me a friend request and I'll join you for a raid party and a nightfall group if you've not done them by the weekend!

Haines

Banned
Simple noob question BC I haven't played in ages.

Anything worth spending my vanguard and crucible marks on?

I'm 32 and only remember buying cheapest stuff before and breaking it down for shards or something along those lines.

I guess a reminder to everone to check your not capped. God knows how long I was

Namikaze1

I have yet to try it this week, but ppl constantly complaining about PoE 34 and 35 is starting to worry me. So it's harder than last week for sure?
PoE 35 is harder than last week's for sure. Instead of Solar Burn, it's Arc and almost everything Fallen does Arc damage. Depending on who you ask, PoE 34 may be easier or harder than last week's. I personally found it annoying.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bungie has painted themselves into a corner with Ghorn melting bosses. They can't nerf it, and they can't increase the synth timers because that would screw ever other weapon (and wouldn't stop the ghorn spam; just slow it down). All I can think of is what they did with Crota, where the only weapon that could damage him is the sword. Maybe they need to use that sort of idea more. Drop shields with regular weapons, and use things in the environment to kill the boss (exploding things, possibly geometry things like destroying a bridge he crosses while he's on it (a la Bowser), etc.
There are more straightforward ways to combat raw DPS than requiring a damage "bundle" (like the Sword) or immune/damageable states. With the mechanics in the Qodron fight for example, the raw DPS strategy wouldn't work if for example his detain search triggered on reaching certain health thresholds- say, if he hits 50%, he starts it regardless how long it took to reach that point- rather than a simple timer only. You couldn't just brute force your way through the encounter with such a tweak- but then again, I mean that both positively and negatively: it isn't cheese, as we've established, if your team has the firepower to just smoke him right out of the gate. And by the way, I truly believe that Gjallarhorn isn't a necessary ingredient of this recipe. I'm betting that Ascended snipers with an Illuminated/WoL bubble could get the job done just fine. He's really rather squishy.

stb

Re: PoE34: I haven't done it yet, but some groups strolled through it without ghorns, some struggled with it for ~10 wipes before "giving up" and breaking out the 42 ghorn salute.

Like anything else, I'm sure it varies by skill level of the group, weapons equipped, and randomness like the AI behaving how it should.

Trakan

PoE 35 Round 4 sucks huge donkey balls...seriously...it's just stupid....

It's my least favorite round for sure. It's worse than the adds after Ir Yut.

Everything is the same except for Arc Burn on Skolas instead of Solar. Yes, it's harder.

Skolas isn't that bad. We 3-shot it or so(Basically a total of 20ish minutes spent). If you have arc snipers and know how to aim at the head, it's not so bad. If you kill dregs/shanks/vandals that spawn whilst moving around(If you get to that point), then you don't really get overwhelmed.

We actually did it when the first mine was the furthest away. We just had the warlock (me) wait until it actually spawned until peeling off to go disarm. Self-rez helped too because everyfuckingthing does arc damage :D

Yeah that's why one of each class is best for this encounter.

Though having the mine spawn right next to you makes it easier as everyone can keep on sniping Skolas for a few extra seconds.

It bugs me too, that's why I don't refer to any tactics involving Gjallarhorn and such as "cheese". It's not a cheese but another legit way to deal with shit. But hey, people want folks to learn mechanics.

I agree, using weapon's and supers is not cheese. I think we do have to be cautious because we don't want to see DGAF Fireteam requests devolve into "365 Ghorn required", so it is important that people learn the mechanics, but the fight also has to be reasonably tuned for it as well. As is, after 10+ attempts doing the mechanics and not having much success, I don't care to do that anymore and would rather Ghorn spam.

ocean

Banned
Have two Low Grade Humilitiy's I really like:

Ambush, Hidden Hand, Grenadier
Ambush, Spray and Play, Unflinching

Not sure which one to keep/use. I can't say I can really notice the difference with Hidden Hand OR Unflinching. Typically I always wanted unflinching with a sniper but I'm not sure if I can actually tell. I guess I should go for Hidden Hand/ Unflinching in one. Either way it's a really solid PVP sniper, great for quick 2sk
Unflinching is a better perk of you are using Shortgaze. With Ambush it won't make much of a difference in my totally unscientific observations.

I think ideal perks would be Hidden Hand, some stability or ammo boost and Unflinching with Shortgaze.

Homeboyd

Ascend the LDR. Higher impact snipers are definitely preferred. Putting a light in is a better investment and yeah TLord will get the job done even if you use all your sniper rounds plus a special synth.
Should I ascend the vendor LDR over my arc longbow synthesis that has:

Shortgaze | Hawkeye |Tacsys
Double down
High caliber | field scout | custom optics
Firefly

??

HELP

(also which scope should I be using? have been using shortgaze)

Impact looks to be about the same.

Well, guess I'm gonna matchmake 28 PoE and then if there's any 32 runs going on after I'll jump in those.

Edit: All my snipers are garbage for pvp.

Anastasis

Simple noob question BC I haven't played in ages.

Anything worth spending my vanguard and crucible marks on?

I'm 32 and only remember buying cheapest stuff before and breaking it down for shards or something along those lines.

I guess a reminder to everone to check your not capped. God knows how long I was

I'm not sure about weapons, but now that all armor can be ascended to the highest light levels with etheric light, you can really customize what you need from legendary gear. Each faction has different combos of 2 of the three cooldowns: intellect, discipline and strength. Plus they will have bonuses to reload speeds or amount of ammo to carry for your favorite weapon category.

I could be wrong, but I don't see any reason to buy and break down. Upgrade mats aren't as hard as they once were to get.

For weapons, I think Planet Destiny has a good write up on ones to purchase.

coy

It's my least favorite round for sure. It's worse than the adds after Ir Yut.

cmWg8PA.gif

Should I ascend the vendor LDR over my arc longbow synthesis that has:

Shortgaze | Hawkeye |Tacsys
Double down
High caliber | field scout | custom optics
Firefly

??

HELP

(also which scope should I be using? have been using shortgaze)

Impact looks to be about the same.

yup. that's fine to. Field scout is great.

Namikaze1

I agree, using weapon's and supers is not cheese. I think we do have to be cautious because we don't want to see DGAF Fireteam requests devolve into "365 Ghorn required", so it is important that people learn the mechanics, but the fight also has to be reasonably tuned for it as well. As is, after 10+ attempts doing the mechanics and not having much success, I don't care to do that anymore and would rather Ghorn spam.
I personally haven't seen people asking for just Ghorn wielders. I have seen people asking for certain classes though mostly for Titans for higher level arenas.

What I mean by this is that watching the video Orochinagis posted (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165358883&postcount=9310), it seems like the "right way" was skipped about 50% of the time (not having the Jailbreaker buff for the detains) and they were circumvented by using SGA.

To clarify, I'm not criticizing the use of SGA. People should do the fight however they want. If they want to artificially(?) make it harder/take longer by not ghorning it, more power to them.

Actually in those parts when I didnt get the buff I wasnt able to destroy the detain spheres in time, the titan got the buff and destroyed them with a sniper rifle. The sole idea of only one person getting the buff needs to be fixed and shared for the whole team or people near to you like the Atheon encounter.

I learned the SGA trick from a gaffer in Atheon HM and decided to give a try.

Haines

Banned
I'm not sure about weapons, but now that all armor can be ascended to the highest light levels with etheric light, you can really customize what you need from legendary gear. Each faction has different combos of 2 of the three cooldowns: intellect, discipline and strength. Plus they will have bonuses to reload speeds or amount of ammo to carry for your favorite weapon category.

I could be wrong, but I don't see any reason to buy and break down. Upgrade mats aren't as hard as they once were to get.

For weapons, I think Planet Destiny has a good write up on ones to purchase.

Thank you for the great response. I'll take a look at planet destiny and the different perks of armors.

I posted this in the HoW OT as well & I know it has been posted on GAF before (back when PS4 got Spotify integration), but playing Destiny to the soundtrack of Interstellar on Spotify is amazing. I can't count the amount of times (since the HoW expansion) the action in Destiny has somehow matched up perfectly with the Interstellar soundtrack building up and making everything seem even more "epic!"

I can't recommend it highly enough in place of Destiny's original soundtrack (which has gotten a little stale after 100+ hours or so). Anyway I felt I needed to share the word as playing HoW with Interstellar's soundtrack from Spotify as the background music has reinvigorated this Guardian!

stb

Actually in those parts when I didnt get the buff I wasnt able to destroy the detain spheres in time, the titan got it and destroyed them with a sniper rifle.

I learned the SGA trick from a gaffer in Atheon HM and decided to give a try.

Ah, ok.

Do you know if nobody gets the jailbreak buff, are the detains breakable?

Hey guys! Joined NeoGAF not long ago cause of Destiny even though I been lurking for years.

Too much destinylfg tired me hence my presence here. I think I am a fair pve"er" and an average pvp"er" (you guys let me know) but for personal and professional reasons ( 120% and 30% respectively. I know it doesn't make sense) will have to forfeit on most of my gaming activities, investments like SC and resources. One of those moments where you have to make a serious choice.

All good though. Seriousness I would say very but nothing that will kill me.

So wish you guys the best and surely will keep myself lurking around when I can.

Nooo Ray!!
Who do I have bully now for not having a 4th Horseman :(
Wish you all the best man and hope to see you in Destiny again!

On another note, we just killed Qodron without Gjallarhorns or without any rockets for that matter.
Although it did require some Titans.

Deku Tree

Skolas is too hard not to have a CP. Yeah I'm saying it again.

Just for level 35 because of the difficulty have something like this:

have the Armor core drop after round 3.
The weapon core drop after round 5.

Then after round five you get a CP.

And Skolas randomly drops his same stuff.
And you get the Etheric light from the chests in the treasure room.

Why not? Because Bungie...

For the sole idea to make PoE faster than a Raid.

Impala26

I posted this in the HoW OT as well & I know it has been posted on GAF before (back when PS4 got Spotify integration), but playing Destiny to the soundtrack of Interstellar on Spotify is amazing. I can't count the amount of times (since the HoW expansion) the action in Destiny has somehow matched up perfectly with the Interstellar soundtrack building up and making everything seem even more "epic!"

I can't recommend it highly enough in place of Destiny's original soundtrack (which has gotten a little stale after 100+ hours or so). Anyway I felt I needed to share the word as playing HoW with Interstellar's soundtrack from Spotify as the background music has reinvigorated this Guardian!

Hans Zimmer da GOAT.

It's a shame that the best OST tracks of Destiny (imo)--Eye of a Gate Lord and The Last Array and a few others (including two of the tracks played during the Black Garden final boss)--don't actually get to be heard that often due to where you "encounter" them and on top of that the action at hand doesn't come anywhere near the grandeur and sense of epic scale these tracks evoke.

I could listen to Gate Lord and Last Array on loop for an hour or two before I get bored.

Sepiks Prime and Nexus get honorable mentions as good tracks.

Namikaze1

Smoke em if you got em, am i right?

are rockets made of cheese now? i haven't really been on much lately
Just Gjallarhorn rockets it seems. But I'm gonna do me and fire them like I always do. This wolf is nothing without his pack.

I would literally just do everything up to armor core and quit. I only use 1 weapon core a week, leaving me with few left over for the following week(s). If they did this, I would be easily doing the whole judgement roll thing.

stb

Smoke em if you got em, am i right?

are rockets made of cheese now? i haven't really been on much lately

I'm just being saucy. The last 2 pages has had varying degrees of debate about the legitimacy of using ghorns to melt bosses.

Here's the gradient as I understand it
- Ghorn is required for this week's PoE34, and that's bullshit*
- Ghorn probably isn't required, but we tried it without ghorn and couldn't do it after a ton of wipes, so we used them and I feel no guilt
- People who use Ghorn to melt bosses are lazy and part of the problem; git gud*

these are admittedly and deliberately slightly hyperbolic

I wouldn't mind this but they would have to make it so you can't join unless you already beat rounds 3 and 5 on that character. Otherwise, everyone will just farm Skolas and skip the other stuff. Weapon and Armor cores are almost already useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom