• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Guardians,

Are you tired of carrying scrubby teammates in Trials of Osiris? Constantly dying and leaving you in seemingly hopeless 1v3 showdowns? At last your prayers have been answered: one quick application of Lightning Grenade OPness will blow your Scrub Sax blues away!

yxGde7.gif
*​

*Actual results may vary. Titan Master Class LLC. does not guarantee Pro-Mode-Engagement. No refunds or class exchanges accepted, all character creations are final.

So overpowered, much hax. I love how your thorn was useless too, one lightning grenade accomplished 3 times over what 8 rounds of thorn could not.

Owensboro

Hrmm. Well this is a new one. Just got my first Exotic Bounty and it's Thorn, Bad Juju, or Invective. Any idea on which to take? I'm more interested for something for use in PvE, if that matters. I know people seem to love Thorn, but it's a mostly PvP weapon, right?

Hrmm. Well this is a new one. Just got my first Exotic Bounty and it's Thorn, Bad Juju, or Invective. Any idea on which to take? I'm more interested for something for use in PvE, if that matters. I know people seem to love Thorn, but it's a mostly PvP weapon, right?

Are you a Warlock? If so, Bad Juju + Obsidian Mind = amazing. If not thorn just for general purposes and a less grindsy bounty

LTWood12

Each of those has their uses, but yes, Thorn is a pvp weapon mostly. All 3 are cool weapons.

Dear Guardians,

Are you tired of carrying scrubby teammates in Trials of Osiris? Constantly dying and leaving you in seemingly hopeless 1v3 showdowns? At last your prayers have been answered: one quick application of Lightning Grenade OPness will blow your Scrub Sax blues away!

*Actual results may vary. Titan Master Class LLC. does not guarantee Pro-Mode-Engagement. No refunds or class exchanges accepted, all character creations are final.

I was there. I can vouch for this.

Kyne

I'd go invective. I use mine for general pve purposes. Amazing vs. Cabal.

I still don't get the annoyance over keys. Like the loot you get from the chest is essentially useless (besides the class items), and if you have at least at a few saved for the exotic bounty step there is absolutely no point for farming them. They exist purely for the crowd the like farming to feel that they are 'rewarded' for the crazy amounts of hours they put into the game.

Edit: However screw this wait period in the Elder Ciphe, need me some sweet burst fire shotgun goodness.

totally agree.. its nothing but junk in those chests

I'm sure you can easily find replacements for any of the queen weapons from elsewhere

the only thing is that its a kind of a buzzkill not to open the giant chest after completing a session

What's the Warlock benefit for Bad Juju? I've got a Titan (Primary, 32) and a Warlock (alt, 30). Both are fun.

Well Bad JuJu's perk gives you a larger amount of super energy per kill so you can super more often. Plus Obsidian Mind give you super energy back when you kill lots of enemies with Nova bomb. Even if you don't use it that specifically though, it is a great solo PvE exotic, ever since they buffed Pulse Rifles.

gatti-man

So how about that difficulty jump from last week to this weeks Poe lvl 34. I mean wow. I did it for fun today and yeah not planning on replaying that anytime soon. #notworthit.

You don't DESERVE the reward if you don't have [insert seemingly random number of hours here], Deku! Scrub. It's endgame content, man. [/sarcasm]

It's not about number of hours played, it's about a barrier of skill. You don't get 1st place medal without coming in 1st place. You don't get to play level 2 until you can beat level 1. It's always been that way. How it should be, in my opinion. That's what gaming is to me. Get better, or you're gonna need more quarters. ;)

Thorn for PvP, Invective for PvE, and Bad Juju if you run a Voidwalker with Obsidian Mind.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Got Kellbreaker's Path (warlock PoE leg armor) with the Cabal perk from Judgement's Chance yusss

stb

I still don't get the annoyance over keys. Like the loot you get from the chest is essentially useless (besides the class items), and if you have at least at a few saved for the exotic bounty step there is absolutely no point for farming them. They exist purely for the crowd the like farming to feel that they are 'rewarded' for the crazy amounts of hours they put into the game.

Edit: However screw this wait period in the Elder Ciphe, need me some sweet burst fire shotgun goodness.

Yeah, I've come around from being really annoyed at the key shortage pre-launch to almost not caring at all.

Spending an hour per key on average (anecdotally) for a middling queen's weapon and chance at an exotic. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I AM annoyed that I forgot to use the key I got for doing the story missions on my Warlock's first PoE for my guaranteed exotic, though. That was stupid.

I was so preoccupied with keeping at least one key for my 35 rewards (whenever I'll do that), that I forgot to get my exotic. =\

im honestly still playing for the loot. setting goals for new weapons or armor makes me want to play more. strikes raids pvp maps arena - most of the content sucks. but controlling the character with awesome feeling weapons and gear makes it fun to play - especially with friends. its why the early story is so boring on alts until you can use better stuff.

i want challening encounters that test skill and teamwork - its why competitive pvp keeps me coming back. but as soon as it starts being glitchy and frustrating, ill order the largest cheese pizza with a side of "get this shit over with so i can get a gjallarhorn"

Honestly Skolas is pretty solid in terms of not being glitchy or broken.

Jabronium

So I know it's a few days out yet, but I'm not going to be able to play until the weekend...what are the odds that anyone will still be up for PoE (32 and 34) at that point, or will Trials consume the playerbase?

BokehKing

Banned
So I know it's a few days out yet, but I'm not going to be able to play until the weekend...what are the odds that anyone will still be up for PoE (32 and 34) at that point, or will Trials consume the playerbase?
I probably won't run them until this weekend, putting in Witcher time instead today

stb

It's not about number of hours played, it's about a barrier of skill. You don't get 1st place medal without coming in 1st place. You don't get to play level 2 until you can beat level 1. It's always been that way. How it should be, in my opinion. That's what gaming is to me. Get better, or you're gonna need more quarters. ;)

It isn't necessarily skill, though, it's how much time you have to spend on it in a sitting.

A good example of this is pre-patch Flawless Raider on VoG. Mad respect to the people that slogged through this, but when you can have a flawless run wasted on one of the myriad prevalent glitches, it's no longer a skill-based achievement, it's a "how much time do you have to spend on this" thing.

Another example to put it back in the context of the Skolas kill: if it took good PVE players 4-5 hours to down skolas without a CP, is it your assertion that they would have been less skillful if they had spent 1 hour 5 times in different sittings? Does having a CP suddenly make it take less skill? I don't understand the connection. It's not like saving a CP and loading in the next day lowers Crota's life by 15% or something.

Edit: sorry, the longer I think about this, the worse your example becomes. =) The hard AND time consuming part of PoE35 is the last part. It isn't like Round 1 is the toughy, and people are proposing CPs to skip the hard part and cruise to the loot. They also aren't proposing a "you failed 5 times, so you automatically get a consolation prize" or anything. As such, I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding levels and such; it seems to be a non sequitur.

I'm firmly against the 'everyone gets a trophy!' culture, but Bungie has taken a ton of flak over not respecting the time spent, and this is the crown jewel. All people are asking for when they talk CPs is not having to re-tread what they've already proven they can do by getting to the CP in the first place. And even if people pass CPs to start at Skolas, it isn't like people having been really struggling with rounds 1-4, then getting to Skolas and stomping him for easy loot.

t0rment

We can argue over semantics all we want, but running into a boss fight, popping a bubble, spamming rockets, popping a synth, and spamming more rockets . . . this is cheesing.

It reminds me of the debates I had with people about use of magic in Dark Souls II. There is no way you can compare the experience of killing the Old Iron King up close and personal to hiding behind the corner and spamming Great Resonant Soul. It's just not as fun. Sure, you can get it done quicker. I had to fight the Old Iron King close to 50 times to beat him with a pure melee build. But when I did—man, the feeling!

Seriously, what is the point of cheesing? To get another exotic quicker you already have? To get another Etheric Light you don't need? Are we playing the game for the loot or for the game?

Nothing is more satisfying to me than learning a level over and over though repeated deaths and finally coming out on top. Whether it's with Super Mario 3, Rayman Legends, Tomb of the Lost Giants, or high-level Destiny activities, it is the challenge, and not the rewards that keep me coming back.

To me, more important than having things is being a part of things.

who are you to define ''fun''? let people play how they want. it's great that you like to waste multiple hours on a poorly designed encounter, others don't.

Dear Guardians,

yxGde7.gif
*​

Oh Boy, I saw this demo filmed live over the weekend. As my basketball coach used to say when someone nailed a lucky shot..."Nice Shit, " Driz.

Ugh. So tired of seeing a few things that have been coming up recently. People will always try to do things the normal way. When that way isn't yielding the results they want and another, much quicker and "safer" way is found, of course they'll fall back on it. Some people may not like it but if those people prefer to do it that way, then more power to them. Same goes for fans of the "normal" way.

If Bungie doesn't like what players are doing, they know what they need to do. But they also know what would happen if they do that, what the reaction will be.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Agreed. Along with this there is no incentive to "learn" these boss fights when the bosses and or modifiers change week to week. Hit them hard and fast is the most effective strategy to this point. That's Bungies fault for making your life a living hell the longer you allow the encounters to go on. Nobody wants to sit around playing hot potato, while destroying mines, while avoiding adds w/burn modifiers, while killing enemies that appear on the other side of the map so you can attack the boss for 20 seconds. That's not fun.

I haven't done the 34 PoE yet, but when I do I plan on Gjallahorning him to death. Ain't nobody got time for all that other nonsense.

SKOLAS ARC BURN SNIPER STRATEGY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMuynvaGuGc

Requirements:

365 high impact Arc snipers. Field scout and final round preferred. If you take Patience & Time as reference, its impact is serviceable, so try to get a sniper with higher impact. LDR, Spear, Supremacy are good ones.

Arc machine gun for crowd control. Thunderlord works best.

Arc primary - 365 Fatebringer is king.

One player of each class preferred, makes things easier.

Titan - Defender with Weapons of Light, Bastion and illuminated.
Hunter - Bladedancer with invisibility perks.
Warlock - Sunsinger with fireborncurse.
We tried this last night but we just kept getting swarmed by adds when the mines started popping up. Watching your video it looks like you guys didn't have any adds on you except for Skolas firing at you.

Owensboro

Well Bad JuJu's perk gives you a larger amount of super energy per kill so you can super more often. Plus Obsidian Mind give you super energy back when you kill lots of enemies with Nova bomb. Even if you don't use it that specifically though, it is a great solo PvE exotic, ever since they buffed Pulse Rifles.

Thorn for PvP, Invective for PvE, and Bad Juju if you run a Voidwalker with Obsidian Mind.

I just spent 5 minutes looking through all my perks on my Warlock to find "Obsidian Mind", only to realize too late it's probably an item. Yep, it's a helmet I'm probably never going to find. Hrmm. Decisions Decisions.

Thanks for the help everyone!

RemiLP

How the hell is spamming Gjallarhorn cheesing?

Fuck it, I'm done.

From someone who just got the gh a few days before how released, i almost felt like i was cheating when running through the missions with it. Felt like i didnt actually experienced the encountes cos everything went down as fast, without actually fighting back. So i can see why people might have that opinion.

That being said, im for everything that can redusere the grind in this game.

We started PoE level 35 last night at 9:20pm. After scrubbing on Scolas until 1am I had to quit because you know I have a life and a job and stuff..

Last week a non-Gaf Destiny buddy sent me a somewhat urgent message right as I was logging off for the day. He wanted to know if I could help him and his son clear the solar Skolas since they'd been stuck on it for a while.

Sure, why not? I hop in and we down him 2nd try, took like 15 minutes. Then the "mission summary" screen popped up and I saw how long he'd been holding the CP: 784 minutes. 13 hours. I was just glad he could finally let it go, but that must have been a real pain to hold it that long. There's got to be a better way, even if it's just for the Skolas fight.

We tried this last night but we just kept getting swarmed by adds when the mines started popping up. Watching your video it looks like you guys didn't have any adds on you except for Skolas firing at you.

Adds were there, I was sniping while the titan was killing adds on the right.

Those adds will fuck you up, killing them is top priority.

Arrrammis

We tried this last night but we just kept getting swarmed by adds when the mines started popping up. Watching your video it looks like you guys didn't have any adds on your except for Skolas firing at you.
It might just look like that because the video was just tunnel visioned in on skolas, I could hear the titan going nuts on adds on the right and I assume the hunter took out several adds as he was leaving. Add in that any enemy entering the bubble would be blind with helm if st. 14, theoretically it shouldn't be too bad.

Daemul

Just used a Judgements chance and I got the Pulse Rifle. I was pretty excited until I saw what it had rolled with, the fucking bonus damage to fucking shanks perk.

That makes it 4/4 for my PoE weapons and the bonus damage to shanks perk.

My PoE Auto Rifle has the bonus damage to shanks perk.
My PoE Sniper Rifle has the bonus damage to shanks perk.
My PoE Fusion Rifle has the bonus damage to shanks perk.
And now my fucking PoE Pulse Rifle has the fucking bonus damage to shanks perk.

PLTZJRh.gif

It isn't necessarily skill, though, it's how much time you have to spend on it in a sitting.

A good example of this is pre-patch Flawless Raider on VoG. Mad respect to the people that slogged through this, but when you can have a flawless run wasted on one of the myrida prevalent glitches, it's no longer a skill-based achievement, it's a "how much time do you have to spend on this" thing.

Another example to put it back in the context of the Skolas kill: if it took good PVE players 4-5 hours to down skolas without a CP, is it your assertion that they would have been less skillful if they had spent 1 hour 5 times in different sittings? Does having a CP suddenly make it take less skill? I don't understand the connection.

Practice makes perfect. Don't be mad if you can't beat it first try. I agree there should be individual checkpoints for PoE so you can pick up where you left off. But you don't get the prize if you can't beat it, no carrying people through the highest level stuff - everyone should pull their own weight and work together to get it done. If you can't do it, practice and get better, plenty of other, easier activities to do that reward you just the same if not better in some cases. Yeah, you don't deserve that gear if you can't complete the task. Nothing wrong with that. No freebies I say. Some content has a skill barrier, some doesn't.

If you REALLY want it but you just can't be bothered, then you can wait for the inevitable level cap increase so you can run through the content when it is no longer considered the hardest activity in the game. Just like all those 29s saying Atheon Hard Mode was impossible (when it really wasn't, plenty of us could do it, glitches aside) that now go in an crush him in one portal hop these days, no wipe.

Just used a Judgements chance and I got the Pulse Rifle. I was pretty excited until I saw what it had rolled with, the fucking bonus damage to fucking shanks perk.

That makes it 4/4 for my weapons and the bonus damage to shanks perk.

My PoE Auto Rifle has the bonus damage to shanks perk.
My PoE Sniper Rifle has the bonus damage to shanks perk.
My PoE Fusion Rifle has the bonus damage to shanks perk.
And now my fucking PoE Pulse Rifle has the fucking bonus damage to shanks perk.

PLTZJRh.gif

Wait until you roll the Rocket with Shank damage! Cause you know, for those moments when you need to kill a shank, you can just waste some heavy doing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom