• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTWood12

To those that call using a Defender and 3 Gjallarhorns cheesing:

I hope that you stay in the room with Omnigul and the ads the whole time for arc burn nightfalls.

I hope you never go to orbit and come back to avoid wiping in a Nightfall.

I hope you never snipe Phogoth from outside the Shrieker room in a Nightfall.

I hope you never stay up high on the Nexus and just snipe the boss.

I hope you never go behind the crates in the Valus T'auric Nightfall.

I hope you never hid under the small balcony when fighting the Archon Priest in a Nightfall.

I hope you never replenish your special ammo by switching to Ice Breaker.

I Hope You Dance...

Agreed. Along with this there is no incentive to "learn" these boss fights when the bosses and or modifiers change week to week. Hit them hard and fast is the most effective strategy to this point. That's Bungies fault for making your life a living hell the longer you allow the encounters to go on. Nobody wants to sit around playing hot potato, while destroying mines, while avoiding adds w/burn modifiers, while killing enemies that appear on the other side of the map so you can attack the boss for 20 seconds. That's not fun.

I haven't done the 34 PoE yet, but when I do I plan on Gjallahorning him to death. Ain't nobody got time for all that other nonsense.

Players: Destiny bosses suck, just health bars with no mechanics.

Bungie: Makes bosses with interesting mechanics.

Players: Too hard. Rather just smash through the health bar with the most powerful weapon in the game. Don't have time for silly mechanics.

Me: *shrugs* Get good. Or die trying ;)

if you have 34's already, skip down to the next post.

I don't know if it's been stated before, but having completed my first 34 PoE as a 33 last night, here's some advice:
don't use the etheric light on the 33 that just finished the lvl34 PoE. If you have other 33's that haven't done the 34, use that etheric light to level your character for the subsequent run. then, repeat for your last character. when your last character has the "extra" etheric light, use that on your first character. that way, you are only under-leveled for the 34 PoE that very first run.

Last week a non-Gaf Destiny buddy sent me a somewhat urgent message right as I was logging off for the day. He wanted to know if I could help him and his son clear the solar Skolas since they'd been stuck on it for a while.

Sure, why not? I hop in and we down him 2nd try, took like 15 minutes. Then the "mission summary" screen popped up and I saw how long he'd been holding the CP: 784 minutes. 13 hours. I was just glad he could finally let it go, but that must have been a real pain to hold it that long. There's got to be a better way, even if it's just for the Skolas fight.

Yeah I believe there needs to be a checkpoint or resume function for the boss.

What happens if the fireteam gets disconnected? Have to run all 5 stages to get back at the boss.

I get it that this prevents checkpoint sharing and traditionally, arena and horde mode game types don't have checkpoints. But when you have bullet sponge after bullet sponge bosses for the final part, there needs to be some sort of resume functionality.

Best way I can think of is that after clearing 4 stages, the 3 players get a resume key in their inventory and they can use it to resume the checkpoint. Only players with the resume key can join, no one else.

I hope that you stay in the room with Omnigul and the ads the whole time for arc burn nightfalls.

I hope you never hid under the small balcony when fighting the Archon Priest in a Nightfall.

I Hope You Dance...

MaBxxUm.gif

Kidding aside, with so much to do in one week, burning the boss just makes it less of a headache. And really it isn't cheesing if we are just using a rocket that is include with the base game. Not like we are getting out of the map to despawn adds on the Bridge or pushing templar off with grenades.

I wish the Xbox one users were more prevalent here, but as a community, I have to say this is one of the best I have ever seen. I would join GAF just to be part of it.

stb

Practice makes perfect. Don't be mad if you can't beat it first try. I agree there should be individual checkpoints for PoE so you can pick up where you left off. But you don't get the prize if you can't beat it, no carrying people through the highest level stuff - everyone should pull their own weight and work together to get it done. If you can't do it, practice and get better, plenty of other, easier activities to do that reward you just the same if not better in some cases. Yeah, you don't deserve that gear if you can't complete the task. Nothing wrong with that. No freebies I say. Some content has a skill barrier, some doesn't.

If you REALLY want it but you just can't be bothered, then you can wait for the inevitable level cap increase so you can run through the content when it is no longer considered the hardest activity in the game. Just like all those 29s saying Atheon Hard Mode was impossible (when it really wasn't, plenty of us could do it, glitches aside) that now go in an crush him in one portal hop these days, no wipe.

You're missing the point being made, though. It isn't rounds 1-4 that are taking people 4 hours. It's Skolas. Beating rounds 1-4 15 times isn't going to make them any better at beating Skolas.

Also, I'm not sure if you meant it that way, but "can't be bothered" is super condescending. Some people don't have 4-6 hours *contiguously* to do literally anything but sleep (and even not that, sometimes).

Adding a CP doesn't make Skolas any easier. It allows players to tackle it at their own pace.

Edit: It appears we're saying the same thing. I'm not sure how you got the idea that I was saying people shouldn't have to kill Skolas for getting the rewards you get for killing Skolas. That'd be silly. All I've been saying is that CPs make it approachable for more people to SPEND the time as they have time to get better at it and hopefully eventually beat it.

Players: Too hard. Rather just smash through the health bar with the most powerful weapon in the game. Don't have time for silly mechanics.

the problem is when they throw in the mechanics they also throw in a bunch of insta kill adds and map hazards. it's overkill.

LTWood12

MaBxxUm.gif

Kidding aside, with so much to do in one week, burning the boss just makes it less of a headache. And really it isn't cheesing if we are just using a rocket that is include with the base game. Not like we are getting out of the map to despawn adds on the Bridge or pushing templar off with grenades.

It gave me a reason to link to a cheesy Lee Ann Womack music video, so this debate gets a thumbs up from the gaf lieutenant.

edit: I'd like to add one. I hope that you didn't depend on the kindness of another gaffer's PVP skills to make it to Mercury this past weekend.

Kalamari

Just used a Judgements chance and I got the Pulse Rifle. I was pretty excited until I saw what it had rolled with, the fucking bonus damage to fucking shanks perk.

That makes it 4/4 for my PoE weapons and the bonus damage to shanks perk.

My PoE Auto Rifle has the bonus damage to shanks perk.
My PoE Sniper Rifle has the bonus damage to shanks perk.
My PoE Fusion Rifle has the bonus damage to shanks perk.
And now my fucking PoE Pulse Rifle has the fucking bonus damage to shanks perk.

PLTZJRh.gif

You can sometimes get lucky, but honestly I feel the odds are against you if you go for judgements chance, you will likely receive a sucky weapon. If you're not 34 yet, you should probably choose armor instead, at least you know what you will be receiving.

It might just look like that because the video was just tunnel visioned in on skolas, I could hear the titan going nuts on adds on the right and I assume the hunter took out several adds as he was leaving. Add in that any enemy entering the bubble would be blind with helm if st. 14, theoretically it shouldn't be too bad.

Exactly.

We had another run where 2 players succumbed to the adds and the hunter had to snipe Skolas from across the map.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I'm not totally up to speed on what's going down this weekend re: Unstable and/or other potential Mercury trains. Stay tuned for info and sign-ups on that. What I can post now are sign-ups for tomorrow night's hybrid newbie raid/sword school, and the Osiris Dojo on Sunday evening.

Thursday, 5/28/15 - 9:00PM EST - Crota's End Newbie Raid and Sword School- Normal - Sign Up Here (3 spots left)

These are weekly raids available to all, but intended for newbies. Bring your highest leveled character, your best weapon, and your most patient self! All encounters will be explained (quickly, but still) as though it was a brand new group, so please be willing to listen. The only restriction on attendance is that participants shouldn't come two weeks in row, just to allow many different GAF Guardians to cycle through. There is no pressure to understand anything before having it explained, and no pointing fingers when things break down. We will laugh at ourselves when we wipe, and then do better the next attempt.

During Crota's End newbie raids, participants are welcome to try out the Sword against Crota if desired, but no one is required to do so. Instructions will follow upon reaching the Crota checkpoint.

Minimum level for Vault of Glass Normal is 26.
Minimum level for Crota's End is 30.

Sunday, 5/31/15 - 5:00PM EST - Inaugural Osiris Dojo - Normal - Sign Up Here (6 spots left)

5/31/15 - Slots at 5:00PM, 9:00PM, and 10:30PM ET - Osiris Dojo

This is an opportunity for GAF Guardians to take part in a laid-back, casual-friendly training session for the Trials of Osiris. Our goal will not be to shoot 9-0 to Mercury, but rather to put together some good matches, improve our skills and strategy and ideally get enough wins for the armor piece.

I will teach general strategies and callouts, and also try to condition players to ignore the psychological elements of competition that can affect performance. (Some of the maps can be viewed for callouts, here: http://imgur.com/a/45NRb) As time allows, I will work through 1-4 cards with the signups for each timeslot.

The main objective here is to have fun, test our abilities, and get better together.

Minimum level 32.

border

[/URL]

Just because it's cheese doesn't mean I won't do it.

LTWood12

Ah the ol' git gud shit. Sigh.

You mean you had a hard time with that fight Nami? All I did was use a Shingen-E and Axion Bolt grenades and the boss went down with ease.

Honestly, I'm glad people were actually able to do the fight w/out Gjallarhorn, and I look forward to trying it again.

ich00

So basically I rolled the perfect PVP sniper.

Shortgaze and Ambush
Hidden Hand
Quickdraw and hand-laid stock
Unflinching

I just spent an obscene amount of motes/glimmer/weapons parts to not get this roll. I'm now out of weapon parts too.

the problem is when they throw in the mechanics they also throw in a bunch of insta kill adds and map hazards. it's overkill.

Matter of perspective I guess. I didn't find 34 this week hard at all with the strategy I ran with 3 different groups even with underlevelled members without even an Ice Breaker and only one 365 primary. 35 Skolas last week was a different story, though, mostly because of the Solar Burn, but definitely doable with enough team effort and strategy (Even if that strategy is 3x Gjallarhorn). Should take no longer than 10-15 minutes when mastered for those without horns.

You're missing the point being made, though. It isn't rounds 1-4 that are taking people 4 hours. It's Skolas. Beating rounds 1-4 15 times isn't going to make them any better at beating Skolas.

Also, I'm not sure if you meant it that way, but "can't be bothered" is super condescending. Some people don't have 4-6 hours *contiguously* to do literally anything but sleep (and even not that, sometimes).

Adding a CP doesn't make Skolas any easier. It allows players to tackle it at their own pace.

Edit: It appears we're saying the same thing. I'm not sure how you got the idea that I was saying people shouldn't have to kill Skolas for getting the rewards you get for killing Skolas. That'd be silly. All I've been saying is that CPs make it approachable for more people to SPEND the time as they have time to get better at it and hopefully eventually beat it.

I am agreeing with you. :p Checkpoints should absolutely be added - albeit in a way that requires you to have actually gotten to the boss that week already. I said that.

I meant can't be bothered as in can't be bothered to beat the boss and feel entitled to loot that they didn't earn, regardless of how "good" they feel the loot is in the end.

Sullichin

I Hope You Dance...

I think the high level PVE stuff is pretty crappy for these reasons. Everyone cheeses the nightfalls because they would be ridiculously hard, and the rewards not worth it, if you didn't take advantage of the well known strats.

Matter of perspective I guess. I didn't find 34 this week hard at all with the strategy I ran with 3 different groups even with underlevelled members without even an Ice Breaker and only one 365 primary. 35 Skolas last week was a different story, though, mostly because of the Solar Burn, but definitely doable with enough team effort and strategy (Even if that strategy is 3x Gjallarhorn). Should take no longer than 10-15 minutes when mastered for those without horns.\

i didn't think this week's 34 was hard either. just needed the right position and weapons. i haven't played skolas at all but everything i heard about last week sounded like a disaster.

It's not about getting good. Atheon has interesting mechanics. Skolas does not. Skolas has mechanics that are out to just make the encounter superficially hard. There is a difference. Why do we have to pass around a dot at the same time we have to disable mines while at the same time being shot by enemies w/ arc burn? It sounds ridiculous just reading back what I just typed.

Sullichin

The fact that Gjallarhorn seems borderline required for level 35 POE is disheartening. I'm sure there are people here who will accept someone (me) without it, but it seems like I'd be at a disadvantage. One weapon should not be so important.

LTWood12

The fact that Gjallarhorn seems borderline required for level 35 POE is disheartening. I'm sure there are people here who will accept someone (me) without it, but it seems like I'd be at a disadvantage. One weapon should not be so important.

Doesn't seem like that's the case at all this week.

Namikaze1

You mean you had a hard time with that fight Nami? All I did was use a Shingen-E and Axion Bolt grenades and the boss went down with ease.

Honestly, I'm glad people were actually able to do the fight w/out Gjallarhorn, and I look forward to trying it again.
Skolas last week? Only the ads prove to be annoying. This week they are a hell of a lot more than that.

I'll do it with you. I'll bring a Thunderlord and arc sniper and everything.

i want in too
I'll do a second run with you guys. Doing my first with Breezy.

Fehyd

Banned
i want in too

I'm worried that they're going to start balancing content around the best weapons, and we'll run into an issue where content is gated from random drops and not raid progression.

Also thanks a ton for the nightfall run last night!

edit: I'd like to add one. I hope that you didn't depend on the kindness of another gaffer's PVP skills to make it to Mercury this past weekend.

First off, I like this debate. I don't see it as salty—I see it as engagement xD.

Secondly, it's not about absolutes. I have probably done every thing you mentioned on that list. But not before giving the legitimate mechanics a good try. And when modes have only been out a few hours, and so many people are giving up on even trying to kill the Eye and do the encounter as scripted, I feel a renewed energy to try to do it as designed.

I played with Unstable. My name popped, and I jumped in. I had been driving for four hours, my hands ached, and I hadn't played it days. But I jumped in because getting to play with Unstable reminded me of playing lacrosse with Jesse Hubbard as a kid, a legend who went on to become one of the greatest players in NCAA history. And I even finished with a better K/D than Unstable one match.

I would have a blast trying to get through Qodron tonight with my gimped-ass non-Gjallarhorn-wielding bubble titan. And continuing the debate :p

Playing with Unstable reminded me of this for some reason (if we're linking to great songs): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJzUoKvX_s

Ah the ol' git gud shit. Sigh.

Why do you feel entitled to the reward for completing content that is deliberately the hardest in the entire game?

I don't get it. It says "Very Hard" right in the level description. Very Hard is not supposed to be Very Easy. That's the whole point.

Maybe I'm missing something? I'm confused.

ich00

I don't get this cheese debate. Wouldn't most legitimate strategies for bosses just involve running around the map trying not to die, killing adds, and trying to put dps on the boss? If I can 42 gjallarhorn salute a boss to death without the stress of running all over the place avoiding death, I'll gladly do it.

Now if your talking about hiding under a platform where a boss can't really hit you / pushing atheon off the ledge with 'nade / whatever other game breaking things people have done, that's a little different.

The arc burn sniper strategy can be used with a solar sniper on solar burn.

YOU DON'T NEED A GJALLARHORN.

Ghorn makes things easier and trivial, sure. It's good to have it. BUT YOU DON'T NEED IT for every encounter.

Atheon dies faster with black hammer and WoL.
Crota's shield goes down with 1 Nighthawk golden gun, 2 on hard.
Deathsinger can be sniped with ease, without using rockets.
Minotaurs and Swordbearers melt with shotguns.

KyleP29

After initially being overly positive on the DLC im starting to think that this addition just isnt what i was looking for.

The story missions were miles better than what we had seen before and i actually enjoyed running through them

but i'm not real big into PvP so trials doesn't offer much for me. I might be able to string a few wins together on a ticket, but the rewards really just don't seem worth it unless you can go 9-0.

The prison of elders i thought held some promise but the more i play them the more of a chore it seems. End boss fights with mechanics similar to VoG are fun. Trying to juggle mechanics, against a sponge, with a bunch of ads that one or 2 shot you is just boring and frustrating.

Add in the fact that the rewards arnt that great. Go through the hassle and net a few strange coins, ammo synth, and a moat of light just isnt worth it. Sure you get etheric light, but that doesn't compel me really. It just makes my current weapons stronger instead of giving me something new to use. If i somehow do have a key, my reward is likely a non elemental queens gun on par or lower than a vendor weapon.

Potential is there, but for once with this game im just not sure its something i see the need to mess with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom