• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

The arc burn sniper strategy can be used with a solar sniper on solar burn.

YOU DON'T NEED A GJALLARHORN.

Ghorn makes things easier and trivial, sure. It's good to have it. BUT YOU DON'T NEED IT for every encounter.

Atheon dies faster with black hammer and WoL.
Crota's shield goes down with 1 Nighthawk golden gun, 2 on hard.
Deathsinger can be sniped with ease, without using rockets.
Minotaurs and Swordbearers melt with shotguns.

I obviously don't need it for everything, I got this far without it. But there have been many occasions where I was at a disadvantage for not having one, or could have contributed more if I had one. It's just fucking annoying at this point. In all of those situations, everyone whips out their Gjallas if they have them.

nOoblet16

Players: Destiny bosses suck, just health bars with no mechanics.

Bungie: Makes bosses with interesting mechanics.

Players: Too hard. Rather just smash through the health bar with the most powerful weapon in the game. Don't have time for silly mechanics.

Me: *shrugs* Get good. Or die trying ;)

Interesting mechanics being insta kills, seriously...EVERY single "interesting mechanic" with bosses in this game is an insta kill. Plus they like to throw tons of adds with high health, high damage rifles and special ability with unlimited use.

I obviously don't need it for everything, I got this far without it. But there have been many occasions where I was at a disadvantage for not having one, or could have contributed more if I had one. It's just fucking annoying at this point.

Well true, that's just RNG. Although, the ghorn seems to be dropping a lot more frequently since HoW release, so maybe you'll get one soon..

Ken

Interesting mechanics being insta kills, seriously...EVERY single "interesting mechanic" with bosses in this game is an insta kill. Plus they like to throw tons of adds with high health, high damage rifles and special ability with unlimited use.

I hope you don't mean Qodron.

KyleP29

The fact that Gjallarhorn seems borderline required for level 35 POE is disheartening. I'm sure there are people here who will accept someone (me) without it, but it seems like I'd be at a disadvantage. One weapon should not be so important.

You go outside GAF and it seems like having a gjallerhorn is the least of your worries. Best hope your a titan otherwise it can be a pain to find a group gjallerhorn or not.

The fact that Gjallarhorn seems borderline required for level 35 POE is disheartening. I'm sure there are people here who will accept someone (me) without it, but it seems like I'd be at a disadvantage. One weapon should not be so important.

It really isn't required. It makes things easier, sure, but that was always the case for it. In fact you can't really do the level 35 poe with it, you need a thunderlord to effectively kill enemies.

stb

I am agreeing with you. :p Checkpoints should absolutely be added - albeit in a way that requires you to have actually gotten to the boss that week already. I said that.

I meant can't be bothered as in can't be bothered to beat the boss and feel entitled to loot that they didn't earn, regardless of how "good" they feel the loot is in the end.

Hah. Glad we got to the bottom of it. And civilly, to boot!

I don't have as strong feelings about the CP "scumming", though.

If my experience is even remotely a litmus test, I knew I had no business playing HM CE even at level 32. I DID ride someone's CP into HM Crota for the 2-3 kills I participated in, and I don't really see the harm in it. I contributed to that fight as much as anyone not bearing the sword can, but that's Bungie's fault for making 5/6 roles in that encounter shooting rockets and maybe popping a bubble.

Assuming the Skolas fight actually takes active involvement and significant contribution from all 3 people, I PROBABLY wouldn't beat it, anyway. CP or not. We'd probably try it a few times, say "nope. I'll come back after Comet", and move on. Seems harmless.

yup. there are no outstanding debuffs or disadvantages. everything just instawipes the team.

i'd like to see a debuff that disables all abilities and the players have to capture or kill an enemy to regain their supers. or maybe something that takes their weapon from them and they can only melee a target to take their weapons back.

literally anything other than insta wipes and super strong adds

Dunlop

I don't get this cheese debate. Wouldn't most legitimate strategies for bosses just involve running around the map trying not to die, killing adds, and trying to put dps on the boss? If I can 42 gjallarhorn salute a boss to death without the stress of running all over the place avoiding death, I'll gladly do it.

Now if your talking about hiding under a platform where a boss can't really hit you / pushing atheon off the ledge with 'nade / whatever other game breaking things people have done, that's a little different.

The intent of the encounter is to learn a strategy and though teamwork and communication defeat the boss

There is nothing wrong with cheesing but it kinda questions the point of playing unless the ultimate goal is just to get gear.

I mean it is slightly a step above

birds1.jpg

yes I am exaggerating :p I read the mechanics are pretty terrible

I don't get this cheese debate. Wouldn't most legitimate strategies for bosses just involve running around the map trying not to die, killing adds, and trying to put dps on the boss? If I can 42 gjallarhorn salute a boss to death without the stress of running all over the place avoiding death, I'll gladly do it.

Now if your talking about hiding under a platform where a boss can't really hit you / pushing atheon off the ledge with 'nade / whatever other game breaking things people have done, that's a little different.

Pretty much with any of the Strike bosses, yeah. But with Raid and Arena bosses there are mechanics on top of that that will kill you most of the time or block you from DPS on the boss if you don't deal with them. Some you can bypass with high DPS before the mechanics start, some not.

I personally love the new mechanics on all these bosses. Great way to diversify the sandbox. Tons of fun trying to master them. And I'm looking forward to what Bungie have up there sleeves coming up. Pretty much exactly the type of thing I've been wanting since complaining about Valus McSpongeBob way back. Adds are fluff to keep you on your toes since it's still a shooter at it's core, yet they're way, way less of a big deal in the Arena than they are in any of the Strikes like Omnigul for example - except maybe Skolas fight.

yup. there are no outstanding debuffs or disadvantages. everything just instawipes the team.

i'd like to see a debuff that disables all abilities and the players have to capture or kill an enemy to regain their supers. or maybe something that takes their weapon from them and they can only melee a target to take their weapons back.

That would require Bungie to actually have staff on raid/encounter design.

stb

It's not about getting good. Atheon has interesting mechanics. Skolas does not. Skolas has mechanics that are out to just make the encounter superficially hard. There is a difference. Why do we have to pass around a dot at the same time we have to disable mines while at the same time being shot by enemies w/ arc burn? It sounds ridiculous just reading back what I just typed.

I land somehwere between you and MrGreencastle, but all the "boss" encounters sound downright silly when you say them out loud.

I will agree that adding element burns to the equivalent of the raid boss is superficially complicated. But the mines don't seem too far from having to control sync plates, and the hot potato seems like an inverse chalice of light. I don't mind the varying mechanics so much as the overlevelling thing.

The Skolas fight at level 34 enemies would probably actually be just the right amount of complexity to be fun.

LTWood12

First off, I like this debate. I don't see it as salty—I see it as engagement xD.

Secondly, it's not about absolutes. I have probably done every thing you mentioned on that list. But not before giving the legitimate mechanics a good try. And when modes have only been out a few hours, and so many people are giving up on even trying to kill the Eye and do the encounter as scripted, I feel a renewed energy to try to do it as designed.

I played with Unstable. My name popped, and I jumped in. I had been driving for four hours, my hands ached, and I hadn't played it days. But I jumped in because getting to play with Unstable reminded me of playing lacrosse with Jesse Hubbard as a kid, a legend who went on to become one of the greatest players in NCAA history. And I even finished with a better K/D than Unstable one match.

I would have a blast trying to get through Qodron tonight with my gimped-ass non-Gjallarhorn-wielding bubble titan. And continuing the debate :p

Playing with Unstable reminded me of this for some reason (if we're linking to great songs): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJzUoKvX_s

Ok I GUESS I'll still do Prison of Elders w/ you Hoss...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For new page. Holy bejesus that Dojo filled up quick. Please temper your expectations about my own skill level, lol.
So I'm not totally up to speed on what's going down this weekend re: Unstable and/or other potential Mercury trains. Stay tuned for info and sign-ups on that. What I can post now are sign-ups for tomorrow night's hybrid newbie raid/sword school, and the Osiris Dojo on Sunday evening.

Thursday, 5/28/15 - 9:00PM EST - Crota's End Newbie Raid and Sword School- Normal - Sign Up Here (2 spots left)

These are weekly raids available to all, but intended for newbies. Bring your highest leveled character, your best weapon, and your most patient self! All encounters will be explained (quickly, but still) as though it was a brand new group, so please be willing to listen. The only restriction on attendance is that participants shouldn't come two weeks in row, just to allow many different GAF Guardians to cycle through. There is no pressure to understand anything before having it explained, and no pointing fingers when things break down. We will laugh at ourselves when we wipe, and then do better the next attempt.

During Crota's End newbie raids, participants are welcome to try out the Sword against Crota if desired, but no one is required to do so. Instructions will follow upon reaching the Crota checkpoint.

Minimum level for Vault of Glass Normal is 26.
Minimum level for Crota's End is 30.

Sunday, 5/31/15 - 5:00PM EST - Inaugural Osiris Dojo - Normal - Sign Up Here (0 spots left)

5/31/15 - Slots at 5:00PM, 9:00PM, and 10:30PM ET - Osiris Dojo

This is an opportunity for GAF Guardians to take part in a laid-back, casual-friendly training session for the Trials of Osiris. Our goal will not be to shoot 9-0 to Mercury, but rather to put together some good matches, improve our skills and strategy and ideally get enough wins for the armor piece.

I will teach general strategies and callouts, and also try to condition players to ignore the psychological elements of competition that can affect performance. (Some of the maps can be viewed for callouts, here: http://imgur.com/a/45NRb) As time allows, I will work through 1-4 cards with the signups for each timeslot.

The main objective here is to have fun, test our abilities, and get better together.

Minimum level 32.
For new page.

Skolas is insanely tough because:

1. Level disadvantage.
2. Elemental burn.
3. Sheer number of adds and the speed at which they respawn.

Two of the above three in an encounter is manageable (like hard Crota), but all three is too much.

stb

Skolas is insanely tough because:

1. Level disadvantage.
2. Elemental burn.
3. Sheer number of adds and the speed at which they respawn.

Two of the above three in an encounter is manageable (like hard Crota), but all three is too much.

I just mentioned something like this, above, and agree.

Overlevelled enemies just shouldn't be a thing, but the idea of a lower number of overlevelled enemies might be OK, especially if they didn't spawn as frequently. Or maybe mix it up. One "wave" would be a higher number of lower leveled enemies; the next could be a handful of yellow 35s. The constant barrage of "all of the above" is what makes it feel "impossible" sometimes, and seems lazy.

The elemental primaries should have a drop rate similar to the CE crota weapon drops; based on the anecdotes I've read, it seems stingier.

It's not about getting good. Atheon has interesting mechanics. Skolas does not. Skolas has mechanics that are out to just make the encounter superficially hard. There is a difference. Why do we have to pass around a dot at the same time we have to disable mines while at the same time being shot by enemies w/ arc burn? It sounds ridiculous just reading back what I just typed.

It's not a dot. And the enemies projectiles aren't hitscan, meaning they are VERY dodge-able. I think they're fine. Arc and Solar burn modifiers are bit much, though. But I have yet to try the Arc Burn one. Solar was hell. The rest of the fight I like.

I think Bungie's intention with the 35 was especially to have to think about who you're bringing in and what class coverage you have. Disabling mines is superficially easy with a Bladedancer or a Bubble. Takes 10 seconds to disarm alone, with 15 second window to get there, and a 35 second immunity to getting cursed once someone takes the curse from you. Sounds fine to me. Just have to practice the timing. People said the similar things about the Crota timing at first and now people do it with their eyes closed.

nOoblet16

That sort of stuff would have worked so well with a wave based mode, but of course the add spamming needs to be controlled too for that. I've been saying this for a long long time, Bungie doesn't play their game at Hard mode and they do not know how to design a Hard mode that doesn't involve players holing up in a corner and shooting from there as one of the prime strategy in a particular encounter.

Would anyone want to run the VoG from gatekeeper to the end. I may want to pass atheon checkpoint to other characters in order to maximize exotic chances.

That sort of stuff would have worked so well with a wave based mode, but of course the add spamming needs to be controlled too for that. I've been saying this for a long long time, Bungie doesn't play their game at Hard mode and they do not know how to design a Hard mode that doesn't involve players holing up in a corner and shooting from there as one of the prime strategy in a particular encounter.

Just wait for the SLASO bounties ;)

Namikaze1

Why do you feel entitled to the reward for completing content that is deliberately the hardest in the entire game?

I don't get it. It says "Very Hard" right in the level description. Very Hard is not supposed to be Very Easy. That's the whole point.

Maybe I'm missing something? I'm confused.
I don't feel entitled to anything. My problem lies in your previous post:

Players: Destiny bosses suck, just health bars with no mechanics.

Bungie: Makes bosses with interesting mechanics.

Players: Too hard. Rather just smash through the health bar with the most powerful weapon in the game. Don't have time for silly mechanics.

Me: *shrugs* Get good. Or die trying ;)

The whole git gud shit here is my problem. Not everyone are freaking pros. If they decide to use a "broken" weapon like Gjallarhorn instead of going through the mechanics, more power to them. I don't have a problem with people doing that. This whole git gud stuff is some elitist crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom