• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a pretty similar experience as everyone doing Skolas last night. Breezed through the whole PoE and then got stuck on him for like 2 hours. Here's the strategy we finally beat it with. Nothing groundbreaking, but it was smooth.

-Two defender titans, one with a BoL bubble and one with WoL
-Typical run in and go left, drop bubble w/WoL by where the mine spawns.
-All three unloaded on Skolas with snipers. We all had P&T and this didn't present a problem considering the rest of our strategy.
-As soon as the bonds were broken and Variks gives his schpeal about mines we stopped DPS and cut left up the stairs and started clearing out adds.
-First mine spawned right next to us. Moved together and disarmed.
-Second mine spawned in the middle, moved together and we dropped our BoL bubble there to disarm/keep clearing adds.
-Moved to the farthest mine spawn, keep clearing adds, other titan had his bubble back which we dropped to help give more time to clear adds
-Moved all the way back to where we started burning Skolas, cleaned adds up and make sure there is a clean line of sight on Skolas
-Finish killing Skolas

The whole time we had the tainted buff, we made sure to call out the timer on five second increments. It got passed at 5-10 seconds remaining. You have to be very communicative about the buff. Who is taking it, who is immune, etc.

Honestly, I think the problem is that everybody is so dead set on burning Skolas and avoiding the encounter. That's fine - if it is a viable solution for your group, then have it. But we wiped for almost two hours doing that. Once we switched gears and took the mindset of, okay, let's just deal with these fight mechanics instead of trying to avoid them...honestly it was a lot easier and a lot more rewarding (intrinsically rewarding, none of us got shit, fuck you Bungie, etc).

For our last run, our communication was flawless. It wasn't the fastest way to do it but there is much less risk when you work as a team and just deal with what Bungie designed. That might sound like horseshit, but that was just my experience. Wish I would have recorded that last run. It was actually fun.

TL;DR Think about trying to do the encounter as it was designed. Adds are overwhelming, but with good communication and teamwork it went pretty smoothly once we abandoned the burn mentality.

My groups problem seems to be the opposite of burning him down, in that we seem to stall out around 40% health.

The Servitor phase is no problem. The Debuff phase is managable, but it feels like we're dealing with so many adds during the debuff phase that we're barely doing any damage to Skolas himself. Somehow we trigger the Mine phase but by this point the battle of attrition has taken over and we're lucky to survive another 30 seconds.

I just can't find a good way to tackle the second half of the encounter with my teammates.

Deku Tree

I would prefer a no burn Skolas with different good modifiers every week or no modifiers.

If Bungie designs an encounter that can be quickly beaten without doing it the intended way and while ignoring the mechanics then it's on them not the players. That's what the Burns do.

zewone

so apparently there are people who think using weapons of light bubbles is cheesing Skolas?

what

3f4.gif

Is nearly impossible to run the mechanics in Skolas, what Bungie staff were thinking . Titan bubbles is the only alternative for a strong burst of damage enough to kill Skolas without running the mechanics at all.

zewone

Is nearly impossible to run the mechanics in Skolas, what Bungie staff were thinking .

Try doing the Omnigul nightfall "legit" with Arc burn.

Bungie has a track record. That's why it shouldn't bother anyone about the method people use to clear (besides obvious BS like the Crota network glitch).

Jinjo

Our Titan left so we need 1 person, we're at Skolas.

PSN: Falifax

Sorry guys! Good luck, hope you make it!

Burns in a raid-like encounter are the worst thing to come in Destiny ever. I have never been a fan of the burns mind you. It wasn't fun last week (and we finished it first-try then), it's not fun now. They literally did not change a thing about the entire lv 35 PoE aside from changing Solar burn to Arc burn. Nice one, Bungie. I literally cannot fathom that an employee at Bungie went: "let's give Skolas an arc burn" and after testing it for a while there is not a single soul who said: "guys, aren't we taking this too far/let's not do this.". That is, if they even playtest their own ideas. I am convinced I can beat it eventually, but I am not having a single bit of fun while doing it. The days where Bungie knew what fun and challenging encounters were are long gone.

Zocano

I think the Gjalla stuff last week really gave people a false sense of security in doing the boss. "Oh we took him down so easily, let's do it against with arc snipers". But alot of times that won't work unless you land fast consecutive headshots, so you end up having to disarm mines and pass around the disease whilst dodging the vandals/dregs/shanks(Captains don't use any arc weaponry.).

At that point you have to start realistically clearing out vandals/dregs whilst maneuvering around the arena(Skolas doesn't do alot of damage surprisingly enough.)

The fight is still in the honeymoon phase of people having to learn it and it's mechanics. People have become complacent sitting in one spot and trying to rush down the fight(Which surprisingly enough, people tried to do with the level 34 fight. Instead of playing around with the mechanic, they try to avoid it and end up just failing and giving up). So they end up blaming the fight itself and not themselves.

I dislike seeing that. It's doable. I did the level 34 fight the first day, formulated a strategy based around keeping track of the eye/sticking to the right side/rotating DPS It's doable, yet people are completely complaining at how impossible the level 34 fight is.

Just wanted to quote Limbo's post cause it's da best. All truth and no lies.

Qodron isn't hard/dumb/unfair, you just actually have to put some effort into it.

I so hope I'm correct in thinking that the 347 Dynasty is rewarded for hitting queen rank 3. You trade in your sidearm and have it upgraded and then if you want you can purchase a new one from Petra.

Try doing the Omnigul nightfall "legit" with Arc burn.

Bungie has a track record. That's why it shouldn't bother anyone about the method people use to clear (besides obvious BS like the Crota network glitch).

At least in Omnigul stays in her platform and you can clear the adds to get some rest.

Shito

Some group need someone for a PoE 32?
Or anybody want to start a group for it?
I need one more to do this week, on my titan.

Mindlog

Grim!
Anyone up for PoE 34? We need one more.
Very familiar with the fight no need to have a Gjallarhorn. Would prefer 34, but one 33 would be OK.

Yeah, it was rusted lands. That map is the only one where I could imagine this sort of game happening tbh, it's perfect for it.

yup i knew it when you said "trying to get a feel each other out". if there's one fault with rusted lands it's that two teams can play really passively on it in Clash. The team that spawns on A side has better sightlines and more of the map in their control, but you can just as easily hold C side.

I so hope I'm correct in thinking that the 347 Dynasty is rewarded for hitting queen rank 3. You trade in your sidearm and have it upgraded and then if you want you can purchase a new one from Petra.

I've got some bad news:

Chances are it's dead, jim.

Signs point to 347 Vesta Dynasty was scrapped and repurposed as the Vestian Dynasty. Evidence for this is as follows:

• Both weapons had the exact same Flavor Text
  • The names are incredibly similar
  • Vestian Dynasty is the only Legendary weapon to have a Grimoire.

Deku Tree

What are the modifiers for other rounds in PoE 35 this week ?

Same exact as last week.
I've got some bad news:

Signs point to 347 Vesta Dynasty was scrapped and repurposed as the Vestian Dynasty. Evidence for this is as follows:

What about Fate of all Fools? Where is that gun?

I've got some bad news:

Besides the fact that Bungie released a full render as part of the HoW press packet that was sent out a few days before launch?

k1t4j

Can someone please help me kill skolas?

My teammates had to leave, earlier this week my teammates also left and I didn't do lv34 PoE.

I am at Skolas round if anyone can join

Arrrammis

Can someone please help me kill skolas?

My teammates had to leave, earlier this week my teammates also left and I didn't do lv34 PoE.

I am at Skolas round if anyone can join
I can join in, is there a class that you would prefer? I have all 3 at 34.
PSN: Arrrammis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom