• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Anybody need Nightfall or weekly? Bounties for them today. I have stuff to level up. Also I can help out with certain things, like swordbearing.

TacticalFailure

Neo Member
The thing I hate the most about this expansion is the lack of checkpoints for PoE

Fuck off Bungie.

I have a wife and 4 kids, if I need to leave my PoE run and want to come back later I should fucking be able to.

Raids with checkpoints were the only way I could have done them most of the time, bunch of unthoughtful pricks

ooooo we need to stop checkpoint sharing blah blah

Fuck off

This is my exact situation, I feel your pain.

Shrine was a much better map last week for my flank shotgun playstyle. This week, I've been playing a more medic/bait role and watching flanking and making sure to make good callouts. When we play, we usually don't have any more detailed callouts than: "left, middle, right, behind us, flanking" etc.

The one thing people need to watch out for this week is how the geometry on Pantheon can easily split a fireteam up, especially if the other team have certain type of grenades like tripmines, lightning, or the bolt nades. It's important to stick together, and to understand around when a team will start getting their supers, and which supers to watch out for.

Never use a weapon you aren't comfortable with just because everyone else is. I've noticed a lot of people saying Pantheon is for snipers only. Personally, I suck with snipers, so I always roll with my trusty shotty. That said, I have to really adjust my playstyle in order to be effective - and I take a much more support oriented role because of it.

This morning we went 9-1, 9-0, and 9-1. I did research for Pantheon strategy on reddit and youtube beforehand to give myself a better idea of how the map plays since I'm not very familiar with it at all and it's one of my least favourites in regular Control.

Here is the strategy we used 90% of the time to open the round:
5uPw72b.jpg

Only one of our players is a good sniper, so we made sure to hang back more and let him open the round, which he was winning about 60% of the time.

What I did to support our sniper is run side to side in front of him and slightly in the air to throw off the other team's sniper right at the start. When they (usually) miss their shot on me, our sniper would try and pop out for the kill on them.

If our sniper was killed, the single person pushing to bridge would hop across through the waterfall and cover them from pushing if they did. (most teams will try to push as soon as one of yours is down). Then I'd hang back and get a fast revive from cover using a Crest of Alpha Lupi or Light Beyond Nemesis (2 out of 3 should be wearing these to cover all 3 members with fast revives, if possible, not a huge deal if not).

If our sniper kills theirs, then bridge guy would hold position and call out if they are trying to push middle for a flank. All 3 of us will throw grenades at the dead orb, but usually the other team will be able to get a revive - if not, it's usually a quick clean up on the damaged players who tried to rush for their revive. Don't blindly push in when it's 3 on 2, the match can quickly flip in their favour if you don't hold the strong centre position. Bridge guy will move to top centre platform, I would move to bridge, and our sniper will continue covering the hallway from the central waterfall special ammo spawn. All 3 of us are ready to cover fire either middle, or long hallway and jump in when needed.

From here, we play the waiting game. Making sure to pick up at least 1 special ammo drop in round 1 or 2 to have us set for the rest of the game early on.

If the other team is being aggressive on long hallway, we will all instead push long hallway at the start and hold back to cover flank and get the revive on our sniper if needed. We rolled 2x shotgun and 1x sniper so it was better to let them come to us if one of us were downed. If the other time didn't push long hall at all, the two that went long hall will set up in middle to help cross fire for the other teams middle push. This usually guaranteed us the middle advantage, where we play passively and fall down to recharge if shot, with the other 2 providing cover fire. We wait them out here and go for the cap at the end of the round.

If one of theirs pushed us and died in our territory, we would camp their orb and cover all flanks. 3 vs 2 will always net you a win if you play cautiously. Don't get aggressive and rush them, or it can quickly flip was our strategy. Waiting the other 2 will almost always allow you to cap centre when the round is up. If we hearda hunter or warlock activate super, we would retreat ALL the way back to spawn, split up, and hide to wait them out. Most people will panic if they can't get at least one kill with the golden gun or blade, and will push into your base hard. If you fall back enough and wait them out, that will usually net you with a single kill with them in your territory screwing their team over. From there you just push forward and watch that the other 2 don't get behind you.

Here is a video demonstrating our strategy, coming back from a 4-1 for the other team. This was a close game with a few bad calls from us near the end, that we were luckily saved by because their team split up and we had pocketed supers.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mr Greencastle/video/2827592

Builds. These are important. There are certain builds and combos that will work a lot better for ToO than for regular Crucible or PvE. Pump your Armour and Recovery stat and forget about Agility. I don't think it's important here at all. Focus burst for warlock, catapult for Titan. This will let you move around the map faster with the low agility.

Hunter, Gunslinger always. Gunslinger is both aggressive and a perfect counter against both Bladedancer and Sunsingers, as it will one shot either. We would save our supers until round 3 or 4, and Gunslingers would only push with their super if the game was 3-3 or 4-X. Otherwise, Gunslinger will be used to counter the Bladedancer or Sunsinger only.

Titan, Striker always. Striker is used as a counter to Bladedancer and Sunsinger as well. We would pocket this super in the same way as Gunslinger. The other usefulness to Striker is when the enemy team has control of the centre for the whole round. We would make sure our Striker would hang back, and stay alive, and at around 5-10 seconds remaining, when the other team would set up for the cap, the Striker would jump high from waterfall and Fist of Havoc the middle, with the two of us providing cover fire either from waterfall or back middle by our spawn while pushing to clean up and move in for the cap.

Warlock, Sunsinger always. Firebolt grenades are beast. And Self revive is incredibly useful to catch an enemy team off guard. Firebolt with Ignite and Viking funeral will disable a player for a good 4-5 seconds and take out more then half the health. Paired with Thorn, this usually means death and you don't even need to be that accurate with the grenade. A single melee from a self res will kill most players instantly and give you a Flame Shield with the proper build.

rNilla

Since you can't see this message since you put me on ignore. I'm just speaking on behalf on many Destiny gaf members who thinks you are a loser who whines alot and expects to be carried. Get over it and get gud.
Maybe you need a break from this thread.

btkadams

Eventually, I'd like to see them move to a system where people who both have 8-0 cards are facing each other. That would pretty much end carrying as well, lol.

I'd take it one step further and say that the only way to get to Mercury was with no boons, but I'm also crazy and have no regard for the playerbase's feelings.

An explorable area you pick from the map, yes. You can go back all you want to during the week, but the chest only gives loot once per character.
Oh boy... That's going to be tough! Need to get up to level 34.

Anyone need a third for level 32 PoE?

lt519

Anyone want to jump into trials with me and thunder? He's finishing up the daily and we could use someone with strong back, but not totally required, capable of 5-6 on our own but could use someone to push us over that edge

Edit: beaten :p

nOoblet16

Shrine was a much better map last week for my flank shotgun playstyle. This week, I've been playing a more medic/bait role and watching flanking and making sure to make good callouts. When we play, we usually don't have any more detailed callouts than: "left, middle, right, behind us, flanking" etc.

The one thing people need to watch out for this week is how the geometry on Pantheon can easily split a fireteam up, especially if the other team have certain type of grenades like tripmines, lightning, or the bolt nades. It's important to stick together, and to understand around when a team will start getting their supers, and which supers to watch out for.

Never use a weapon you aren't comfortable with just because everyone else is. I've noticed a lot of people saying Pantheon is for snipers only. Personally, I suck with snipers, so I always roll with my trusty shotty. That said, I have to really adjust my playstyle in order to be effective - and I take a much more support oriented role because of it.

This morning we went 9-1, 9-0, and 9-1. I did research for Pantheon strategy on reddit and youtube beforehand to give myself a better idea of how the map plays since I'm not very familiar with it at all and it's one of my least favourites in regular Control.

Here is the strategy we used 90% of the time to open the round:
5uPw72b.jpg

Only one of our players is a good sniper, so we made sure to hang back more and let him open the round, which he was winning about 60% of the time.

What I did to support our sniper is run side to side in front of him and slightly in the air to throw off the other team's sniper right at the start. When they (usually) miss their shot on me, our sniper would try and pop out for the kill on them.

If our sniper was killed, the single person pushing to bridge would hop across through the waterfall and cover them from pushing if they did. (most teams will try to push as soon as one of yours is down). Then I'd hang back and get a fast revive from cover using a Crest of Alpha Lupi or Light Beyond Nemesis (2 out of 3 should be wearing these to cover all 3 members with fast revives, if possible, not a huge deal if not).

If our sniper kills theirs, then bridge guy would hold position and call out if they are trying to push middle for a flank. All 3 of us will throw grenades at the dead orb, but usually the other team will be able to get a revive - if not, it's usually a quick clean up on the damaged players who tried to rush for their revive. Don't blindly push in when it's 3 on 2, the match can quickly flip in their favour if you don't hold the strong centre position. Bridge guy will move to top centre platform, I would move to bridge, and our sniper will continue covering the hallway from the central waterfall special ammo spawn. All 3 of us are ready to cover fire either middle, or long hallway and jump in when needed.

From here, we play the waiting game. Making sure to pick up at least 1 special ammo drop in round 1 or 2 to have us set for the rest of the game early on.

If the other team is being aggressive on long hallway, we will all instead push long hallway at the start and hold back to cover flank and get the revive on our sniper if needed. We rolled 2x shotgun and 1x sniper so it was better to let them come to us if one of us were downed. If the other time didn't push long hall at all, the two that went long hall will set up in middle to help cross fire for the other teams middle push. This usually guaranteed us the middle advantage, where we play passively and fall down to recharge if shot, with the other 2 providing cover fire. We wait them out here and go for the cap at the end of the round.

If one of theirs pushed us and died in our territory, we would camp their orb and cover all flanks. 3 vs 2 will always net you a win if you play cautiously. Don't get aggressive and rush them, or it can quickly flip was our strategy. Waiting the other 2 will almost always allow you to cap centre when the round is up. If we hearda hunter or warlock activate super, we would retreat ALL the way back to spawn, split up, and hide to wait them out. Most people will panic if they can't get at least one kill with the golden gun or blade, and will push into your base hard. If you fall back enough and wait them out, that will usually net you with a single kill with them in your territory screwing their team over. From there you just push forward and watch that the other 2 don't get behind you.

Here is a video demonstrating our strategy, coming back from a 4-1 for the other team. This was a close game with a few bad calls from us near the end, that we were luckily saved by because their team split up and we had pocketed supers.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mr Greencastle/video/2827592

Builds. These are important. There are certain builds and combos that will work a lot better for ToO than for regular Crucible or PvE. Pump your Armour and Recovery stat and forget about Agility. I don't think it's important here at all. Focus burst for warlock, catapult for Titan. This will let you move around the map faster with the low agility.

Hunter, Gunslinger always. Gunslinger is both aggressive and a perfect counter against both Bladedancer and Sunsingers, as it will one shot either. We would save our supers until round 3 or 4, and Gunslingers would only push with their super if the game was 3-3 or 4-X. Otherwise, Gunslinger will be used to counter the Bladedancer or Sunsinger only.

Titan, Striker always. Striker is used as a counter to Bladedancer and Sunsinger as well. We would pocket this super in the same way as Gunslinger. The other usefulness to Striker is when the enemy team has control of the centre for the whole round. We would make sure our Striker would hang back, and stay alive, and at around 5-10 seconds remaining, when the other team would set up for the cap, the Striker would jump high from waterfall and Fist of Havoc the middle, with the two of us providing cover fire either from waterfall or back middle by our spawn while pushing to clean up and move in for the cap.

Warlock, Sunsinger always. Firebolt grenades are beast. And Self revive is incredibly useful to catch an enemy team off guard. Firebolt with Ignite and Viking funeral will disable a player for a good 4-5 seconds and take out more then half the health. Paired with Thorn, this usually means death and you don't even need to be that accurate with the grenade. A single melee from a self res will kill most players instantly and give you a Flame Shield with the proper build.

Very good strats, I'd love to play with plays who compliment each other's style.
That bit about sniper int he bolded, how I'd love to have that in my team lol...I saw an enemy team do that once, it didn't really work out for them as I just killed both of them lol.

Namikaze1

The thing I hate the most about this expansion is the lack of checkpoints for PoE

Fuck off Bungie.

I have a wife and 4 kids, if I need to leave my PoE run and want to come back later I should fucking be able to.

Raids with checkpoints were the only way I could have done them most of the time, bunch of unthoughtful pricks

ooooo we need to stop checkpoint sharing blah blah

Fuck off
A checkpoint for Skolas would be nice. PoE 32 takes less than half an hour to complete. PoE 34 takes about 35-50 minutes, depending on your team. Skolas Revenge is 6 rounds. There should really be a checkpoint after the fifth round. You're dealing with back to back bosses. Some would want to take a break or something. Bungie really needs to do something about that. Plus, it would benefit those who end up getting kicked due to a server error.

nOoblet16

It has very high aim assist, the highest in the game for a sniper. But low impact. I just got one today in the daily crucible.

What should I look for if I reroll low grade humility?

Shortgaze scope, Hidden hand, Injection Mold, unflinching

If you get all of that I will hate you.

Unless someone actively wants to help me I'm done with ToO.

Won't be looking for help and won't be trying. I can't be sitting on my PS4 all day

M3Rocket

How about a list for those of us who just want 5 wins to get the boots this week? It will take less time plus probably a lot more viable than being #40+ on any of the current Mercury lists?

nOoblet16

How much better is injection mold over hand laid stock?

Hand laid gives you like double the stability of Injection Mold, but it's slower as Injection Mold gives you higher aiming speed.
LGH is not a high RoF sniper like Predyth's Revenge, or atleast not as high to do a two tap kill so you aren't losing all that much with sacrificing some stability...especially when you consider that the benefits of stability become less noticeable over 60%

Deku Tree

Short gaze, unflinching, hidden hand are the the important perks I believe.

Hand laid gives you like double the stability of Injection Mold, but it's slower as Injection Mold gives you higher aiming speed.
LGH is not a high RoF sniper like Predyth's Revenge, or atleast not as high to do a two tap kill so you aren't losing all that much with sacrificing some stability...especially when you consider that the benefits of stability become less noticeable over 60%

Should I look for the same roll on my queens sniper rifle?

Korosenai

I don't see how people can call PoE repetitive, yet play vog and crota every week and not say it for those raids. If anything, vog or Crota is more repetitive than Poe because those never change week from week. They're always the same thing.

Ramirez

Should have left it the way it is, just because Defuser doesn't post much here..there could be a reason. DestinyGAF is very chill compare to other threads I visit.

There is a lot of supportive people in here, but there is also a ton who complain a lot as well. I'm mostly on the outside looking in, as I have no real ties here compared to the Halo thread, heh.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
There is a lot of supportive people in here, but there is also a ton who complain a lot as well. I'm mostly on the outside looking in, as I have no real ties here compared to the Halo thread, heh.

I prefer mellowGAF :)

And sometimes people need to vent. There's nothing wrong with that.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Titan here too. Prefer striker but happy to go defender if we need another.

It's up to you. It's not a raid or POE where you must be defender, have a 399 horn, can snipe with a scorch cannon from at least 200 feet and melee five captains from behind without getting hit.

What's the difference between hand laid stock and injection mold? (edit: saw you answered that already-still curious about this next part) Also, I have the option to use snap shot. I thought I saw something saying that was good.

Rolled an Up the Ante with Truesight IS, Zen Moment, Rifled Barrel, and Outlaw. My hunter has Hand Cannon Loader arms and this thing has enough base reload speed that Rifled Barrel still makes it reload faster than most other hand cannons. I would have liked to have Hidden Hand on it, but hey, can't go wrong with Zenlaw. Feels a lot like the classic legendary HCs.

Korosenai

How has been a godsend for pvpers as well. Until now all we've had is Iron Banner *pukes*

Now we actually get something fun and rewarding with sweet exclusive pvp only loot. I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom