• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to delete two of my characters tomorrow. I just want to do other stuff/play other games instead of 3 of the same activities as its taking up alot of my time and my OCD is kicking in heavy. So that in mind help me out GAF and give me recommendations on which class to keep.

This is not the intended strategy and I fully expect Bungie to do something to nerf this strat. They should just change the burn.

Your are supposed to be running around and popping shots at Skolas and clearing the adds and passing around the debuff and standing on the mines to diffuse them while making yourself a target and all the adds and Skolas shoot at you.

But with Solar burn and being underleveled that is insanely tough because a lot of enemies in the room can one shot you. So essentially it looks like everyone is doing the boring wait around for synth cooldown ghorn strat.

Captains can still one shot you at 34, and the thing is enemies keep constantly spawning. The add spawn isn't based on Skolas' health or anything, I've had attempts where me and my team would be hiding in a corner, killing off adds, but after a set time they keep repopulating the area. Maybe moving around is their intended strategy, but without a Titan you can't really "Hold" an area unless it's the right side of the entrance(In that little alcolve/passage way with 2 doorways).

Even Dattos team resorted to hugging the left section, chaining bubbles, shooting at him(Granted they were legitimately disarming mines) with gjallahorns. (After a while Skolas stops trying to approach you and he starts wandering the arena).

Deku Tree

I might be done playing Destiny until Tuesday.

The drop rate of the elemental primaries from Skolas is abysmally low.
If the drop rate doesn't somehow get better as you rank up house of judgement then I can't see myself grinding it.
Everything is fun up to Skolas and then it's this horrible hurry up and wait for cooldown situation.
I really hope they rotate the earlier waves of PoE 35 and the burn on the Skolas encounter.
I guess we find out on Tuesday...

Lnkn52

I'm going to delete two of my characters tomorrow. I just want to do other stuff/play other games instead of 3 of the same activities as its taking up alot of my time and my OCD is kicking in heavy. So that in mind help me out GAF and give me recommendations on which class to keep.
Why don't you just fight the urge and just play with one. You must have put hours into all those three characters. That's a really drastic move.

If the drop rate doesn't somehow get better as you rank up house of judgement then I can't see myself grinding it.
Everything is fun up to Skolas and then it's this horrible hurry up and wait for cooldown situation.
I really hope they rotate the earlier waves of PoE 35 and the burn on the Skolas encounter.

Doing PoE 12 times a week is going to get boring reaaaaaaal fast

Why don't you just fight the urge and just play with one. You must have put hours into all those three characters. That's a really drastic move.

Easy to say, hard to do and yeah its drastic but I'm definitely doing it so I don't want to dwell on that. I just want to make sure I keep the most well rounded PvE/PvP character. Thoughts?

Lnkn52

Easy to say, hard to do and yeah its drastic but I'm definitely doing it so I don't want to dwell on that. I just want to make sure I keep the most well rounded PvE/PvP character. Thoughts?
I feel like my Titan comes in very handy for team based events. They're the best support class for PVE. So if I had to choose it would be that. Second would be Warlock.

It's actually ludicrous how low the drop rate is for Skolas. I ran it twice, and out of 6 participants nobody got an actual drop from him. I think in Dattos skolas clear video one person got a ship.

The chests at the end are literally worse than chests you can find in explore mode, the weapon/armor cores will become obsolete in a couple of weeks, and the only way you feel rewarded from doing PoE is literally the Queens Treasure chest. Not to mention that the unique ship/shader/emblem is tied to opening that chest at the end, which sucks because not everyone saved a key for it and there was no indication that was the case.

PoE is a great idea, but the rewards for doing it(They disable glimmer/engram drops from it) is poorly executed.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Someone please explain to me how the Gjallarhorn stretegy is "cheesing" Skola? You're not exploiting a glitch so that he falls off the map, you're not disconnecting so that he stays kneeled.All you're really doing is blitzing him before he can fuck you up (and even then, seeing the posts here, he still does). There is nothing in my mind that suggest the tactic is anything but making the most out of your RNG-won resources (Ballerhorn) and quick reflexes. And as I just said, its still not a full proof easy button the way past raid cheeses were.

And if Bungie diagrees cause its not how it's "supposed" to be played, then fuck them...

If you prefer PVP i'd keep the hunter, its always been the PVP superstar. If you prefer PVE I'd say Titan, its been the MVP for all 3 raids so far.

Lnkn52

Someone please explain to me how the Gjallarhorn stretegy is "cheesing" Skola? You're not exploiting a glitch so that he falls off the map, you're not disconnecting so that he stays kneeled.All you're really doing is blitzing him before he can fuck you up (and even then, seeing the posts here, he still does). There is nothing in my mind that suggest the tactic is anything but making the most out of your RNG-won resources (Ballerhorn) and quick reflexes. And as I just said, its still not a full proof easy button the way past raid cheeses were.

And if Bungie diagrees cause its not how it's "supposed" to be played, then fuck them...
The solar burn doesn't help. I'll wait for next reset and give Skolas another try. But yes, compared to ToO, the PoE drops are butts.

My 9-0 team played aggressive.

It is easy and better... when I play with passive and campy guys I couldn't win a lot in a row... aggressive means you will get a kill even if the buddy dies because the enemy team won't have time to recover..

So just make sure every member in your team can win a one to one battle and play aggressive.

PS. 3 average guys in PVP can easy get 9-0 wins playing like a team and not solo.

My team(s) played sort of passive at the beginning. Hang back and see if we can pick someone off then try to cut the enemy team off of the person we killed, so they can't rez. We'd get more aggressive once we tipped the numbers in our favor.

Totally agree with this.

Everything about that encounter tells me that the entire point is to burn down the boss as quickly as you can. If you don't, you have tons of one shot minions and mines and that weird DoT pass around disease thing.

What medal do I get for stretching that out longer than is necessary, especially given the four (rather, 12) rounds that came before it that took a while to get through as well?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I suspect that after a couple weeks most people will only do PoE-34 once for the Weapon Core, and may even skip it altogether if they aren't interested in the weapon Variks is selling.

I just made a comment about most new weapons being pretty much trash. From the looks of it all of the weapons Variks sells are crap because of no element, etc.

Daemul

I beat Skolas once to get the shader, ship and enbelm and I have no intention of ever doing it again, it takes way too long and the rewards for suffering through it are garbage, unless you're lucky enough to get the elemental primaries to drop for you.

Hard mode Atheon and Crota rewarded you much better for your time than this shit.

CLBridges

After doing PoE a few times, it really makes me want to go buy a cheap PS3 and fire up Mass Effect 3 multi. I kinda wish Bungie would have been a little more random with the hordemode, it's funny that people have already found cheese methods to delay enemy spawns and so forth. Maybe next week we'll see how they react to the initial week of people blowing through the content.

Lnkn52

I beat Skolas once to get the shader, ship and enbelm and I have no intention of ever doing it again, it takes way too long and the rewards for suffering through it are garbage, unless you're lucky enough to get the elemental primaries to drop for you.

Hard mode Atheon and Crota rewarded you much better for your time than this shit.
That's why I don't understand why all the drops are at the end. During Raids, after each section we would get an item.

lt519

Totally agree with this.

It's skipping the other mechanics. While it isn't cheesing it, it certainly wasn't intended to be played that way or they wouldn't have put those mechanics in. They would of just put a timer in like 3 minutes until everyone dies.

The frustration comes from the fact that you need a very specific set up, which most hardcore players have, some not, but also beyond that needing to wait 10 minutes after a failure is just absurd. Until someone can show me beating the fight without hunkering down in the corner with a Titan bubble and throwing Gjallahorns at the boss I'm going to pass on playing it again.

It's just unfortunate the rest of the arena doesn't provide a reward because it was actually incredibly fun.

Those shards really made me feel special.

I actually got a Mythoclast my second HM Atheon. :p

Mindlog

I am firmly in the camp that believes using the best strategy available is the way to go. Heavy ammo glitching to get around the heavy timer is legit in my book.

However, I am also in the camp that believes that Gjallarhorn is completely overpowered especially during a Solar burn. Gjallarhorn was my first or second exotic drop very early in the game. I don't like how much it changes an encounter if one more people don't have it and I don't believe buffing every other weapon is the path to achieve a greater sense of parity. Not that complete parity is the end goal.
After doing PoE a few times, it really makes me want to go buy a cheap PS3 and fire up Mass Effect 3 multi. I kinda wish Bungie would have been a little more random with the hordemode, it's funny that people have already found cheese methods to delay enemy spawns and so forth. Maybe next week we'll see how they react to the initial week of people blowing through the content.
I've always spoken highly of ME3MP. In retrospect not highly enough.
My favorite last gen offering by far. FAR. Nothing else is close.

Daemul

I suspect that after a couple weeks most people will only do PoE-34 once for the Weapon Core, and may even skip it altogether if they aren't interested in the weapon Variks is selling.

I'm at this point already. I got enough etheric light to level my most used weapons and my armour, all I have left to do is get the PoE weapons, except the elemental primaries of course, because fuck facing Skolas again.

border

Everything about that encounter tells me that the entire point is to burn down the boss as quickly as you can. If you don't, you have tons of one shot minions and mines and that weird DoT pass around disease thing.

I suspect that Bungie will change Skolas for the same reason they killed the loot cave. This just isn't the way they want people playing the game, and it's an entirely unpleasant experience for most people that do it.

Make a Skolas attempt, fail, then wait up to 10 minutes before you can try again. That is just an absolutely awful way to play, but people will do it because it's the "easy" way. All they really have to do is remove the Solar Burn and it cripples the Gjallarburn strategy, while simultaneously making it easier for people to run the fight the way you're expected to run it.

Wilde

Anyone have the normal Gatekeeper checkpoint?

Really need to do some glimmer farming after upgrading all this new gear this week.

It's skipping the other mechanics. While it isn't cheesing it, it certainly wasn't intended to be played that way or they wouldn't have put those mechanics in. They would of just put a timer in like 3 minutes until everyone dies.

The frustration comes from the fact that you need a very specific set up, which most hardcore players have, some not, but also beyond that needing to wait 10 minutes after a failure is just absurd. Until someone can show me beating the fight without hunkering down in the corner with a Titan bubble and throwing Gjallahorns at the boss I'm going to pass on playing it again.

It's just unfortunate the rest of the arena doesn't provide a reward because it was actually incredibly fun.

Sure. But its give and take.

First of all, Bungie did themselves no favours with that random DoT. The strategy of players spreading out to defeat mines and take multiple attack angled on the boss is negated by the need to huddle up to pass that DoT around. They're practically demanding we stick together as a group which is suicide if that same group wanders out into the arena together. One scorch cannon and everyone dies.

A good boss fight should not involve minions that one shot you. That forces you to sit under cover at all times and wait for the minions to come to you as you take shots at the boss. And they spawn endlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom