• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

E92 M3

And then at high skill game it just becomes TLW and everyone has low TTK. That isn't an excuse for the gun.

Halo at high levels has always been only BR + power weapons. Nothing wrong with that. It's a fun gun to use.

I used your link. Let me try again

https://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Forum/942747

Just to be sure.

Prime example of making an awful assumption.

I said TTK needs to come down in general. Thorn can two shot without double head shots and I was personally wrecking level 34 opponents in Iron Banner with a Vex that only has 315 Attack.

Weapon Balance is not perfect and oddly enough, the TTK's were more appropriate when AR's dominated the Meta. Now that AR's are less effective and people need to have very specific stats and mod rolls to get strong Pulses for mid-range.. that makes it easier to just rely on Handcannons. So people roll TLW for mid-range. Thorn because it can actually out-snipe a sniper rifle at a lot of angles on many of the small and medium maps (and the dot makes the fight more predictable).

It's fine for guns to have their strengths but they need to have legitimate weaknesses and Thorn's only weakness is very close quarters and Vex's weakness.. well honestly it doesn't really have one that I've found yet. TLW could use a harder dmg drop off at range.. and Hawkmoon I think is in a good place. Range is countered by recoil and dmg is countered by RoF.

I agree that ARs being nerfed messed a few things up, but the TTK does not need to come down. The Vex and Thorn both have weakness. For instance, the Vex is not efficient at medium to long range. Destiny is in a perfect place right now.

Of course all of this is our opinions.

Rhaegar

Can't play this game until we get more vault space.

Cheese and rice...

Yeah, it really has become quite ridiculous. I'm almost getting annoyed now whenever I have a legendary weapon drop in Crucible (which is all the time now with the latest patches) and realize I have no room for non-elemental non-exotic primaries in my Vault.

Halo at high levels has always been only BR + power weapons. Nothing wrong with that. It's a fun gun to use.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Forum/942747

Just to be sure.

I agree that ARs being nerfed messed a few things up, but the TTK does not need to come down. The Vex and Thorn both have weakness. For instance, the Vex is not efficient at medium to long range. Destiny is in a perfect place right now.

Of course all of this is our opinions.

I think they need to buff ARs. Then I'll agree that weapon balance is in a good place.

Zocano

BR had a good but not super crazy TTK and could still be beaten at close ranges by other guns.

Powers weapons by their nature were balanced with limited ammo and spawns. Bungie is moving in the right direction with special weapons but it's still not good enough as it is.

Lnkn52

Anyone here use a Vita Slim for remote play? I'm still rocking my launch OLED and sometimes the glare can be pretty bad.

Vita TV over here. I probably asked you this before but how far are you remote playing from? The lag input is too much to enjoy playing.

LifEndz

Yeah, it really has become quite ridiculous. I'm almost getting annoyed now whenever I have a legendary weapon drop in Crucible (which is all the time now with the latest patches) and realize I have no room for non-elemental non-exotic primaries in my Vault.

That's been really bumming me out as well. Recently dismantled 4 legendary weapons that I would've kept, but limited vault space and the thirst for weapon parts ruled the day. Kinda weird how vault space is so impacted by the last gen consoles.

LTWood12

I had to look up what TTK meant. Sigh

Time_to_kill_poster.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hard Light should do Arc damage and penetrate Titan bubbles in PvP.

Thorn should get a modest nerf, at the very least to give it equivalent range to Hawkmoon. The idea that it doesn't need one for balance purposes and I'm motivated simply because I don't like getting killed by it is hilarious to me. I will spare you all the quote of my OT10 post this time but it truly never even needed a buff (on the PvP side).

Max range on the crazy range-perked-out shotguns for OHKO should be lowered. Some kind of accuracy penalty for a shotgun fired coming out of Blink would be particularly good.

TLW should have its precision damage proc glitch fixed which would have the net effect of a small and fair nerf.

AR range should be left untouched, but damage should be buffed to about the halfway point between where it is now and launch.

ich00

Anyone here use a Vita Slim for remote play? I'm still rocking my launch OLED and sometimes the glare can be pretty bad.

I do, but I use a screen protector on it, and it isn't that bad. If it gets bad I usually can turn up the screen brightness and it helps.

Although I did have an OG Vita and didn't notice that much of a difference when I switched.

E92 M3

BR had a good but not super crazy TTK and could still be beaten at close ranges by other guns.

Powers weapons by their nature were balanced with limited ammo and spawns. Bungie is moving in the right direction with special weapons but it's still not good enough as it is.

Destiny has its own niche. I don't want it moving into Halo TTK or COD. Right now it sits in a good place.

LTWood12

Vita TV over here. I probably asked you this before but how far are you remote playing from? The lag input is too much to enjoy playing.

Generally speaking, I mainly remote play in the same room as the system itself.

On occasion, I remote play from bed upstairs (one floor up from the router & system). Very inconsistent for some reason from here. I usually have to hold the Vita out from over the bed to get the connection, then it will work. If I try to initially connect w/ the bed between the vita and the floor, it never works.

I've remote played from work and my in-law's house with little to no lag very consistently.

A couple of months ago I remote played from my hotel while in St. Louis, w/ my system at home in Little Rock. I was shocked at how well it worked. Was able to knock out pretty much all of the daily bounties.

Are you doing it within the home? There are some tips I could give you, though I'm not sure how they apply to a vita tv.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
2.43 k/d in iron banner as a level 32

Watch me join gaffers and then get something like .00000001.

*shakes fist*

PS I remote play sometimes but I find it only good for basic PvE stuff. The analogue sticks don't have enough travel.

ich00

I usually play in my house and the lag isn't too bad, it normally depends on where I am tho.

Typically the only thing I'll do is story missions (daily, bounties, etc) and save the higher lvl content to when I can be on mic playing. I usually stay away from PvP too, unless it's the new daily missions where I really only care about finishing to get the ToO coins.

stb

My 2¢ on weapon balancing:

- I've said/tried to say this before, so apologies if I appear a broken record

- as it stands, handcannons are too good at too many things, which is why they are so prevalent in PVP
- if they wanted to have an exotic handcannon that was essentially a sniper (very long range, high impact, etc.), it should be restricted to that role by having ONE sight option (a mid/high zoom scope). Getting a headshot at 150m with a Thorn's iron sight is absurd. It shouldn't even be on the table to happen by dumb luck, let alone be a tactic/foregone conclusion.
- there will always be something that is the best primary for PVP, but the delta between handcannons and whatever anyone would pick instead is too great.
- if you opt to NOT use handcannons in PVP, you're handicapping yourself by a significant margin
- I'm not saying someone can't dominate with Red Death, I'm saying they can do so in spite of the handicap, and would probably do even better with Thorn or TLW
- the TTK on TLW, specifically, is just plain too high, especially for the range it's *possible* to do it at

- I don't think TTK in general is too high. As it stands, it drives me bananas that I can get the tactical advantage on someone, engage them before they know I'm there, begin shooting them, and they still manage to escape due to nonsense like there being enough time to reflexively mash jump to blink out of my reticle. A higher overall/average TTK would just make that even worse, which would be unforgiveable in a game with blink, regenerating life, and overshields

- it cracks me up that perfect Felwinters rolls where the big PVP complaint in the month(s) preceding HoW, and rather than adjust anything, they give us Party Crasher and Matador. Now the gun that was limited at least by having to grind IB can drop at any time.

- the issue with the guns IN GENERAL, in my opinion, and as a primarily Thorn/Vex/Shotgun (but not blink!) user, are the effective ranges.
- Specifically, how those ranges overlap by too large a margin between types of weapons
- e.g. it being possible for shotguns to 1HK beyond point blank range, or handcannon range being effective enough to even suppress snipers/scouts, let alone out-duel them at sniper/scout range, even if the sniper is terrible. If you choose to engage a sniper in his lane at sniping distance with a thorn, you should either die or waste ammo. It shouldn't even be a consideration to hit a sniper at that distance with anything but a stray AR/scout shot (or another sniper, obviously)
- DICE put forth considerable effort analyzing and tweaking effective ranges of classes of weapons in BF4. I honestly dont know how that panned out for them, as I haven't played BF4 since Destiny game out, but I'd like to see them *competently* analyze the distances that weapons are used at and bring them more in line to defined roles.
xCEXgYH.png.png

(image to illustrate the point; I'm aware this doesn't COMPARE effective/falloff/suppression distances of anything)

- Essentially, every type of weapon should "own" an engagement distance, and if you choose to engage a player with that weapon when you don't have the same type, you should be at a disadvantage at best, waste ammo/die at the worst (depending on how mobile you are).

Ramirez

I can't believe people try to defend the top tier HCs, they're broken in PVP compared to pretty much all other weapon types. There's a reason 99% of people use Thorn/TLW/Hawkmoon.

Nerf the fuck out of the aim assist and range (Thorn specifically), bring them in line with Scouts, and maybe you could leave their damage as is.

I just want the PVP to go through a phase where aiming actually plays a factor, I'm so over this blinking shotguns, DoTs, and fanfire bullshit.

LifEndz

Hard Light should do Arc damage and penetrate Titan bubbles in PvP.

Thorn should get a modest nerf, at the very least to give it equivalent range to Hawkmoon. The idea that it doesn't need one for balance purposes and I'm motivated simply because I don't like getting killed by it is hilarious to me. I will spare you all the quote of my OT10 post this time but it truly never even needed a buff (on the PvP side).

Max range on the crazy range-perked-out shotguns for OHKO should be lowered. Some kind of accuracy penalty for a shotgun fired coming out of Blink would be particularly good.

TLW should have its precision damage proc glitch fixed which would have the net effect of a small and fair nerf.

AR range should be left untouched, but damage should be buffed to about the halfway point between where it is now and launch.

I support all of the above except for hard light penetrating Titan bubbles. Cmon! My bubble already can't withstand a super, but to have a primary weapon do damage while I'm in the bubble? I bid you good day, sir!

Lnkn52

Generally speaking, I mainly remote play in the same room as the system itself.

On occasion, I remote play from bed upstairs (one floor up from the router & system). Very inconsistent for some reason from here. I usually have to hold the Vita out from over the bed to get the connection, then it will work. If I try to initially connect w/ the bed between the vita and the floor, it never works.

I've remote played from work and my in-law's house with little to no lag very consistently.

A couple of months ago I remote played from my hotel while in St. Louis, w/ my system at home in Little Rock. I was shocked at how well it worked. Was able to knock out pretty much all of the daily bounties.

Are you doing it within the home? There are some tips I could give you, though I'm not sure how they apply to a vita tv.

I usually play in my house and the lag isn't too bad, it normally depends on where I am tho.

Typically the only thing I'll do is story missions (daily, bounties, etc) and save the higher lvl content to when I can be on mic playing. I usually stay away from PvP too, unless it's the new daily missions where I really only care about finishing to get the ToO coins.

I only remote play while I'm at work. My PS4 is at home which is about 40 miles away. Connection is very inconsistent. At home I have 70 down/3 up @ work 60 down/5up. I contemplated about buying another ps4 :/

Edit: My real question is if the remote play connection is better on the Vita vs Vita Tv.

E92 M3

I can't believe people try to defend the top tier HCs, they're broken in PVP compared to pretty much all other weapon types. There's a reason 99% of people use Thorn/TLW/Hawkmoon.

Nerf the fuck out of the aim assist and range (Thorn specifically), bring them in line with Scouts, and maybe you could leave their damage as is.

I just want the PVP to go through a phase where aiming actually plays a factor, I'm so over this blinking shotguns, DoTs, and fanfire bullshit.

Yes, lets ruin weapons because of your made up statistic. There will always be a top-tier weapon in any PVP weapon. Did you see Epic nerfing the shotguns in Gears? They embraced it and let the community have its way. Destiny community loves handcannons - big deal.

Heaven forbid PVP is a fun frag-fest. Destiny isn't designed to be a super competitive shooter. We have other games for that.

noomi

So a purple emblem (paladin's blazon) just appeared in my inventory...

The hell did this thing come from?

LTWood12

I only remote play while I'm at work. My PS4 is at home which is about 40 miles away. Connection is very inconsistent. At home I have 70 down/3 up @ work 60 down/5up. I contemplated about buying another ps4 :/

Didn't play at all really yesterday so I was feeling the itch. We were going to bed and my wife had about another 10 pages to read in her book. So I booted up the vita, held it out over the bed, then played an iron banner match. Over 18 kills w/ over 2.0 KDR. Sometimes it almost feels like I'm better with it. I've probably played more hours on it than I have a Dualshock 4.

LifEndz

PvP is in a pretty okay place. Really just an AR boost and a slight nerf to thorn's range are the only major problem areas. Otherwise, I'm actually okay with things as is.

Deku Tree

Yes, lets ruin weapons because of your made up statistic. There will always be a top-tier weapon in any PVP weapon. Did you see Epic nerfing the shotguns in Gears? They embraced it and let the community have its way. Destiny community loves handcannons - big deal.

Heaven forbid PVP is a fun frag-fest. Destiny isn't designed to be a super competitive shooter. We have other games for that.

Bungie said their goal was to have all weapons be viable choices at one point. It used to be that AR's were dominant and they have been nerfed to the point where it is not an option to use them in competition. ARs need a buff.

Guys can I keep repeating skolas in hopes of getting a weapon or that won't work

Doesn't work.

E92 M3

PvP is in a pretty okay place. Really just an AR boost and a slight nerf to thorn's range are the only major problem areas. Otherwise, I'm actually okay with things as is.

Yeah, I would say Thorn needs a slight nerf to range.

Bungie said their goal was to have all weapons be viable choices at one point. It used to be that AR's were dominant and they have been nerfed to the point where it is not an option to use them in competition. ARs need a buff.

I 100% agree with that statement, but Bungie works in extremes so it will never happen. The BEST thing Bungie did when it comes to weapon changes was buff the shotguns by 100%. That was truly a game-changer.

Omg this morning on burning shire I had my Titan super ready, three guys were at the beach heavy, I didn't get there in time to stop them from getting the ammo but I did get all three with my super and I kind of think that was even better.

Like 1300 points in one move. They never came back from that.

Feels good man.

Ramirez

It's not a fun frag fest though, it's literal dog shit. Trials shows that it can be competitive and great, so yea, sue me for wanting something that's actually worth spending time on.

LTWood12

Edit: My real question is if the remote play connection is better on the Vita vs Vita Tv.

Is your PS4 connected to the router wirelessly or over a LAN cable?

Doesn't work.

but I didn't get a drop this week at all

All I can think of for PvP balancing is an auto rifle buff since they are basically useless. Taper off hand cannon range a bit. Buff scout rifle damage or headshot multiplier. Special weapons are fine, shotguns should be a bit OP.

Kalamari

I think Destiny is a balancing nightmare, such that I think the designers threw any overall concept of a balancing system out the window and only make adjustments when something is too powerful.

Frenden

Banned
Does anyone know of a good guide explaining how to remote play with a Vita over the internet?

I'm leaving town and would like to get Xur's wares if there's anything good.

I've done some Googling, but most of the guides seem pretty crappy or out of date.

JB1981

How many Strange Coins do I need to buy an Exotic from Xur? Also how do I get more guaranteed coins if I already did the Weekly Heroic? Also can I use Motes of Light to purchase exotic engrams?

^^^
What do you mean by remote play guide?

E92 M3

It's not a fun frag fest though, it's literal dog shit. Trials shows that it can be competitive and great, so yea, sue me for wanting something that's actually worth spending time on.

Sometimes it seems like you have a very elitist attitude. And yes trials is amazing.

Rhaegar

2.43 k/d in iron banner as a level 32

Watch me join gaffers and then get something like .00000001.

*shakes fist*

PS I remote play sometimes but I find it only good for basic PvE stuff. The analogue sticks don't have enough travel.

This happened to me last night. Running with about a 1.5 k/d solo (which has been where I've been for the last month or so in Crucible), winning half the matches. Then grouped up with 5 other Gaffers on Xbone and settled at around 0.5 k/d the rest of the night. No idea what happened.

Top Bottom