• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

Yea Rienforced is best because it reduces stability and it's the most useless Stat on a low RoF shotgun so it doesn't matter at all

Exactly. So the bottom line is that Smallbore is only better for Luck in the Chamber, because having less bullets in the mag will make the perk proc more often.

I agree for the most part. But not all the gun types are equal. If they were you'd see a much more varied use in PvP. But all I've really seen is Thorn, TLW, and Hawkmoon. I'm not saying to nerf them.

But slightly buff other things to make them on par with those guns.

I'd rather not be killed constantly in 1 second flat. There's already enough shit that does that.

Marvel

could never
I don't have one of these yet, but the videos of it and seeing a couple other people use it, it looks and sound so neat. I hope it gets buffed at some point.

It really is neat, once you get it to 365 in IB it's more than useful. Bit weak, not great accuracy at range but you can do well with it if you're good at spacing.

I like it anyway. Another AR I'd love to try is the Monte Carlo, I believe Hig has it. I've yet to get dropped one though sadly.

I had a party crasher, matador and Felwinters drop for me yesterday in IB. Only have used my Felwinters so far.

My Felwinters I re rolled with shot package, rifled barrel and kneepads BUT with no aggressive ballistics instead have field choke.

Should I take a chance and re roll for aggressive ballistics or no?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
It really is neat, once you get it to 365 in IB it's more than useful. Bit weak, not great accuracy at range but you can do well with it if you're good at spacing.

I like it anyway. Another AR I'd love to try is the Monte Carlo, I believe Hig has it. I've yet to get dropped one though sadly.

Being serious for a minute. I didn't find it as good and I'm not sure how to use the perk. Hard Light is a really good-feeling gun to use, because it seems hefty and makes a great sound while I found MC just to be a bit boring.

Crappy short-attention-span players like me need hand cannon crutches though - if I used an auto rifle in Crucible (not to mention Iron Banner) I'd be slaughtered.

zewone

Yea Rienforced is best because it reduces stability and it's the most useless Stat on a low RoF shotgun so it doesn't matter at all
Rifled Barrel reduces reload speed.

Small bore reduces magazine size AND reload speed (so it's the worst)

Reduced magazine size with luck in the chamber is awesome.

lt519

Hah just had 19 kills, 7 assists, +2k/d and 11 captures, that's a full effort right there. Wiped the team off the map. Almost broke 5000 points.

XenoRaven

Pessimism time. No matter how much they nerf or buff, there will always be a "best" loadout and the community will gravitate toward it. Nerf exotic hand cannons? Get ready to get killed by MIDA or the Messenger all the time. Nerf shotguns? Get ready for people to ambush you around corners with pre-charged Fusion Rifles. Make Legendaries better so they can compete with Exotics? Get ready for people to camp sniper maps with Ice Breaker and have them kill you on approach with Ill Will or some other Legendary.

I'm in total honeymoon mode with this game right now. I just smile and laugh through all the stupidity. Exotic Hand Cannons are great, Blink is great, 4 mile range shotguns are great, getting FoPed when you're one shot away from killing a Titan is great. It's all great to me. At some point we're going to have to accept the game as is, because I don't think the game will ever be balanced the way people want. It'll just change every time people get sick of a certain weapon, and I don't think that's the way to maintain a competitive multiplayer game.

LTWood12

I'm game. What time do you think you'd be on tonight? If we could start it earlier than 9PM that would be better I guess. I can't stay up until 2 AM on a work night again LOL.

I'm central time. Earliest I could probably do it is 9:00 Central. I'll be honest I think my chances are probably pretty slim tonight. Trying to avoid the enrage mechanic this week.

I don't have one of these yet, but the videos of it and seeing a couple other people use it, it looks and sound so neat. I hope it gets buffed at some point.

It's not a bad weapon at all. Pre AR nerf it was actually quite decent. It's one of the better high RoF/low impact ARs.

E92 M3

It sucks we have to wear cloaks to get faction points. I really don't want to alter my aesthetics to get faction points. Why couldn't it have been something in the background?

Also, predictions for the TWU?

I agree for the most part. But not all the gun types are equal. If they were you'd see a much more varied use in PvP. But all I've really seen is Thorn, TLW, and Hawkmoon. I'm not saying to nerf them.

But slightly buff other things to make them on par with those guns.

For some reason It feels like the people that are asking for nerfs are the ones not playing with the said weapon that they want nerfed.

some players are just better at PVP than others, and if they lose against them they go ah he is using some OP weapon. Nerf it and buff mine. This shit can go on forever. People will never be happy.

I find the guns in this game to be very equal today and think that Bungie have done a good job.

an op weapon is like the mythoclast was before the nerf, that shit was crazy but yet so much fun, people left when I had it equipped hahaha.

Marvel

could never
:/

I'll never understand your obsession with that gun.

Join the brotherhood of Hardlight and I shall guide you, friend Ikkarus. lol And sploat, tbh I too don't undertsand it's perk... I mean I'm not noticing anything different. TLW will always be my boo and my best weapon if I need a great KDR.

I'll always be a HC guy, been that way ever since Alpha. But once in a while it's nice to use a gun no one else uses, even if it is weaker. I'm one of those people that wears armour for the sheer looks instead of stats too :S unless I'm doing something difficult.

Wallach

I've actually taken to my Summoner after Unstable hauled my ass to Mercury the first ToO week. It's not amazing in the range category but the stability and auto-aim on it are nuts. It is surprisingly easy to just have it stick to heads even without Focused Fire. If they do buff ARs class-wide it is going to be pretty wicked in PvP.

EL CUCO

It sucks we have to wear cloaks to get faction points. I really don't want to alter my aesthetics to get faction points. Why couldn't it have been something in the background?

Also, predictions for the TWU?
Lol I feel you. My Hunter is tied to Vanguard/Crucible because I refuse to wear anything but Makeshift Scarf

nOoblet16

Reduced magazine size with luck in the chamber is awesome.

On a OHK weapon like a shotgun ? eh
It can help in some situation as you can increase the range slightly in a way (since the damage drop off gets kind of negated by Luck in the chamber)...but far too situational to give up magazine size

XenoRaven

Hard Light has neat looking projectiles and makes a cool noise when it fires. It was also my first ever Exotic weapon. I will always have a place in my heart for it.

Marvel

could never
I've actually taken to my Summoner after Unstable hauled my ass to Mercury the first ToO week. It's not amazing in the range category but the stability and auto-aim on it are nuts. It is surprisingly easy to just have it stick to heads even without Focused Fire. If they do buff ARs class-wide it is going to be pretty wicked in PvP.

Hey yeah, I've tried it in IB too. Yup pretty good rifle.

Hard Light has neat looking projectiles and makes a cool noise when it fires. It was also my first ever Exotic weapon. I will always have a place in my heart for it.

You may sit next to me at lunch.

For some reason It feels like the people that are asking for nerfs are the ones not playing with the said weapon that they want nerfed.

some players are just better at PVP than others, and if they lose against them they go ah he is using some OP weapon. Nerf it and buff mine. This shit can go on forever. People will never be happy.

I find the guns in this game to be very equal today and think that Bungie have done a good job.

an op weapon is like the mythoclast was before the nerf, that shit was crazy but yet so much fun, people left when I had it equipped hahaha.

I am using those weapons, and they are OP. I'm using all three right now. A nerf for exotic HC are needed. They're too strong. So much so 90% of IB and Crucible are those guns. That's WAY too high.

Zocano

Exotic handcannons being better than most other weapons is not the problem.

Its that their specific TTKs are just too low/fast in general. I think all weapon damage needs a flat nerf. Raise all TTKs across the board. Hand cannons can still be powerful but the average TTK is just too fast to be enjoyable.

E92 M3

Its that their specific TTKs are just too low/fast in general. I think all weapon damage needs a flat nerf. Raise all TTKs across the board. Hand cannons can still be powerful but the average TTK is just too fast to be enjoyable.

Nah that'll be too boring. Right now Destiny falls between COD and Halo - that's perfect.

Deku Tree

Not more range, just more damage.

On a OHK weapon like a shotgun ? eh
It can help in some situation as you can increase the range slightly in a way (since the damage drop off gets kind of negated by Luck in the chamber)...but far too situational to give up magazine size

Oh so Final Round in my Matador 64 doesn't increase the range of my shotgun but that shot does have increased OHK distance because there is a damage drop off?

hydruxo

Nah, we don't need anymore nerfs. I don't think the TTK is that bad at all. As long as you aren't out in the open for too long you can take Thorn/TLW/Hawkmoon fire and get back to cover before you die. Same goes for any primary weapon really. There's been a lot of times the Thorn DoT is ticking away on me but stops with a sliver of health left. I agree with E92 that Destiny is in that sweet spot for TTK between CoD and Halo. It's clear that Bungie wants to retain that.

Shito

So I think my regular Destiny play is going to remain a mix of daily story missions, Petra bounties, level 28 Prison of Elders (the fun one), Dragon strikes and 3x Nightfall and weekly Heroic strikes for the foreseeable future. I don't have time to do them all on each character, but it's a good mix of activities and they're all very fun. Destiny is at the point where there's so much to do I can pick and choose what to do with each character each week and have very little repetition.

I'll be down for the odd raid, and when/if the level 32/34 PoE's are made more reasonable, I'll gladly join in those. I just don't like how they are designed currently (void burn + mine dismantling? Nope. Nope. Nope.)

It means I'll progress to 34 at a snail's pace, as I got one etheric light from six Nightfall runs so far, but I think that's my only viable path for now without playing modes I don't enjoy. I'm kind of frustrated that my level progress is stymied, but as was pointed out to me on Twitter this morning, if I'm not playing the level 34 activities or ToO, there's not a lot of point of being level 34 to begin with.
Haven't tried 34 yet, but did you have such a bad experience on PoE 32?
I can understand the frustration that Qodron or that last week's arc burn round can cause, but so far in my experience with them, I found them to be quite fair and fun to run. I've ran 8 so far, each time with different gaffers, and we never wiped more than once on a given round. Maybe I was lucky with the groups I found, but it was always light-hearted and really smooth.
I don't know if our playing hours are compatible (I'm in Europe), but if the occasion arises one day, I would love to run a 32 with you, with the help of another gaffer willing to make you enjoy those dismantle mines rounds and the regular clutch moments they create. :)

E92 M3

It is still far too fast for most weapons. Shotguns fine whatever but TLW TTK is dumb

TLW requires a lot of skill to kill at the fastest time possible. Not everyone is Zoba. Secondly, players should be rewarded with quickest TTK if they mastered the gun.

nOoblet16

TLW does not require an immense amount of skill to use. It has a learning curve but that's about it.
As it stands the TTK is too fast 0.58 sec for TLW and about 0.70 for Thorn (this is more consistent than TLW as Thorn is more accurate and has higher range).

Both TLW and Thorn absolutely do need a nerf, Thorn more so because it has literally no downside apart from a shit iron sight. It even rewards body shots handsomely. It tells you something when 4/5 deaths are with Thorn. Other games have their signature weapons (Gears Shotgun for example) but it's different there as the game's mechanics themselves revolve around those weapons and they have a counter a lot of times too.

Not more range, just more damage.

It does give more range in a way but not in a direct sense.
So say you do 200 damage up close and 100 damage at 5 meter.

Now with increased damage you might do 250 damage up close and 125 at 5 meter and 100 at 7 meter distance.

XenoRaven

I don't mean to offend, but I think calling for Halo TTK is a bit shortsighted. This game isn't Halo and it isn't trying to be. Halo didn't let you sprint, or teleport, or triple jump, or float high in the air. There are so many evasive movement options that would make slower TTK a huge pain in the ass. Not to mention all the grenade options people have to shut down chases in the event you're not able to finish them off and try to go after them.

Honestly it would probably make Blink shotgun even better now that I think of it, since it'd be harder to kill an approaching Hunter if you didn't have your shotty out.

I probably sound like I think everything is just perfect the way it is. I don't know if I'd say that myself, but I do think it's easy to sit back and say "nerf this", "buff that", "higher TTK", without considering the 2nd tier effects of doing that. It might end up just treating the symptom instead of the disease, and at worst it could make the game less fun.

Lnkn52

Hmm game.

zQ2C9OG.jpg

Nah that'll be too boring. Right now Destiny falls between COD and Halo - that's perfect.

2-3 shots to kill is too fast. Especially for a game that has an overshield before a health bar. And with the aim assist being fairly high for some of these weapons.. It's too quick.

TTK needs to come down in general but balance passes over some specific weapons would be nice. Thorn hits too hard considering it's range and that it has a dot on it. The Vex is still too strong since it can be farmed by high levels and now ascended. The rarity that justified its strength is fairly invalid now. There are probably a couple more specific examples but those are off the top of my head.

E92 M3

TLW does not require an immense amount of skill to use. It has a learning curve but that's about it.

Sure it does. I've ran into countless people that I've killed after they shot first. TLW takes a lot of skill to use it like Zoba.

I don't mean to offend, but I think calling for Halo TTK is a bit shortsighted. This game isn't Halo and it isn't trying to be. Halo didn't let you sprint, or teleport, or triple jump, or float high in the air. There are so many evasive movement options that would make slower TTK a huge pain in the ass. Not to mention all the grenade options people have to shut down chases in the event you're not able to finish them off.

Honestly it would probably make Blink shotgun even better now that I think of it, since it'd be harder to kill an approaching Hunter if you didn't have your shotty out.

I probably sound like I think everything is just perfect the way it is. I don't know if I'd say that myself, but I do think it's easy to sit back and say "nerf this", "buff that", "higher TTK", without considering the 2nd tier effects of doing that. At best it could end up treating the symptom instead of the disease, and at worst it could make the game less fun.

I agree 100%. Most of the time when people ask for buffs or nerfs they're doing it for selfish reasons because no one wants to learn how to get better. Instead, they want Bungie to ruin the thing that makes them sad. Shotgun blinking pisses the fuck out of me, but I never wanted it nerfed. Just have to keep getting better and learning to counter.

The nerf culture is just pitiful in general. Just look at what happened with Auto Rifles.

Destiny PVP is great as it is and fills a niche.

2-3 shots to kill is too fast. Especially for a game that has an overshield before a health bar. And with the aim assist being fairly high for some of these weapons.. It's too quick.

TTK needs to come down in general but balance passes over some specific weapons would be nice. Thorn hits too hard considering it's range and that it has a dot on it. The Vex is still too strong since it can be farmed by high levels and now ascended. The rarity that justified its strength is fairly invalid now. There are probably a couple more specific examples but those are off the top of my head.

Prime example of wanting things weakened because you don't like getting killed fast. I can't remember the last time someone killed me with 2 headshots using TLW. Secondly, Thorn can be countered due to it's low rate of fire. No one wants to play a homogenized game.

Top Bottom