• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

E92 M3

To me, the best thing about Destiny PvP is the Hand Cannons. It's unique to Destiny and they're just a ton of fun to use. Every other shooter out there is 99% ARs so I'm fine with Destiny being a HC festival. Sure, it's an unbalanced mess, but I'd much rather they buff the other weapons than nerf the HCs.

Yep, HC are incredibly fun to use and one of the reasons I love the PVP.

Frenden

Banned
Thanks! Father's Day is right around the corner...

One last image...

q1bIRQeh.jpg

lt519

Free for skolass or IB, lemmie know.

I'd be in for Skolas, I had to leave before we took him down last night. Came pretty close and I just rolled my Queen's sniper to void to get some more damage instead of Praedyths. I guess we'd need one more with a good void sniper.

I've got that too!

I bought a 7", 720p HDTV and velcro'd the Vita TV to the back. It's a tiny, tiny Destiny box that I can plug in on my coffee table while the rest of the family watches TV.

Between that and the Vita, I should be covered. I just thought setting up RP over the internet was more involved than it seems to be. It's awesome to read that it's fairly automatic.

And turning off WiFi power saving drastically improved my in-home streaming.
I have never forwarded any ports and mine works perfectly from anywhere I've tried. I suggest giving it a go from some remote location before assuming that it'll work when you're gone.
It's only $40?!
Indeed it is! I got my second one from the Gamestop $40 sale, but's $40 at BB right now until they sell out.

Anyone got a spot in an IB train?

Also would anyone like to do POE 35 in about an hour?

I need to carry a friend so 365 void sniper would be pretty nice if you can.

border

I'd be in for Skolas, I had to leave before we took him down last night. Came pretty close and I just rolled my Queen's sniper to void to get some more damage instead of Praedyths. I guess we'd need one more with a good void sniper.

I will do Skolas. I have a 365 Void LDR with Final Round and 300 Corrective Measure.

We may need a third since it looks like Marvel is doing IB.

Marvel

could never
I'd be down for that after some IB. Gotta hit rank 3

LTWood12

One last image...

I have never forwarded any ports and mine works perfectly from anywhere I've tried. I suggest giving it a go from some remote location before assuming that it'll work when you're gone.

Indeed it is! I got my second one from the Gamestop $40 sale, but's $40 at BB right now until they sell out.

Very cool! Had a BB gift card from Christmas I had yet to use, so I just ordered a Vita TV for $5. If nothing else it's a good backup if my OLED bites the dust. I would guess Vita will be pretty hard to come by in the years ahead.

Svartnatt

It's a beast for sure. I played two more matches with randoms after our group got finished. I got an ~8 kill streak going with that gun and it was the first time I used it, 100% unleveled. Hits harder than any other MG I've ever had but I'm still going to re-roll it once I find what ideal perks are for it.

If you don't mind me asking, which MG would that be? So I know to look out for it... Thanks!

TacticalFailure

Neo Member
This happened to me last night. Running with about a 1.5 k/d solo (which has been where I've been for the last month or so in Crucible), winning half the matches. Then grouped up with 5 other Gaffers on Xbone and settled at around 0.5 k/d the rest of the night. No idea what happened.

Don't feel too bad, I think I pulled up the rear in every match last night. Worst I have played in PVP in any game in quite a while. played some solo after and worked on changing my routes around the maps (learning the maps) and had completely different results.

I boil it down to trying to do too much, and putting myself in horrible situations which ended up hurting the team. Lesson learned for sure.

Namikaze1

So I'm heading to prison.

Ghost: I did warned you.

Shut it you! I wasn't talking to you! Anyway, as I previously mentioned, I'm heading to prison. Apparently breaking into the Queen's chamber is against the rules. Who knew?

Ghost: I did and so did everyone else.

Go back to Game of Thrones dammit! Back on the matter at hand, I need a lawyer. Two of them in fact. So I'm sending this message to all available Guardians out there. Please help me! I don't wanna go to prison! I'm too young!

Ghost: and not that smart either.

I hope you die in Game of Thrones, Tyrion. Ignoring the jerk bot over there, I need to defeat this giant servitor thing to get pardoned. They're sending me to this Arena Level 34 is what they call it.

So uh, anyone wants to go face the Machine's Wrath? I got a Gjallarhorn. :D

And candy. Lots and lots of sweet delicious candy.

Ghost: Good job, you just drove them away.

I hate you.

This is what happens when the game lacks a story! You end up making your own. In mine, the Ghost and I have a love-hate relationship. So uh, PoE 34 anyone?

For those that have suffered with me through PVP we all know I am a bit bad.

Last game though. 4.33 K/D

I am like the little engine that could.

Deku Tree

So I'm heading to prison.

Ghost: I did warned you.

Shut it you! I wasn't talking to you! Anyway, as I previously mentioned, I'm heading to prison. Apparently breaking into the Queen's chamber is against the rules. Who knew?

Ghost: I did and so did everyone else.

Go back to Game of Thrones dammit! Back on the matter at hand, I need a lawyer. Two of them to be in fact. So I'm sending this message to all available Guardians out there. Please help me! I don't wanna go to prison! I'm too young!

Ghost: and not that smart either.

I hope you die in Game of Thrones, Tyrion. Ignoring the jerk bot over there, I need to defeat this giant servitor thing to get pardoned. They're sending me to this Arena Level 34 is what they call it.

So uh, anyone wants to go face the Machine's Wrath? I got a Gjallarhorn. :D

And candy. Lots and lots of sweet delicious candy.

Ghost: Good job, you just drove them away.

I hate you.

This is what happens when the game lacks a story! You end up making your own. In mine, the Ghost and I have a love-hate relationship. So uh, PoE 34 anyone?

Ok do the 34... when you get to round five kill the boss and don't leave the area... as long as your whole fire team dies before leaving the area or get summoned by Variks then you wipe and you have to fight the boss again... kill the boss three times and you've got your bounty done. At least that worked last week before the last patch. Or do the 34 twice.

spyder_ur

People are right that there is no weapon variety. I'm not really the type to call for nerfs, but there's obviously some tweaking to be down.

Thorn in particular. It's great at range and can best snipers. Up close I lost a couple battles with TLW which were very surprising. Midrange it outclasses everything except perhaps Hawkmoon or Vex? On top of all that it ticks down your opponents health AND messes up their screen. It's just a bit too much IMO.

I've gotten pretty skilled with TLW, but if you're equipping TLW, there is basically a range that you can't fight at and it has a higher skill floor. Not the case with the other HCs.

Namikaze1

Ok do the 34... when you get to round five kill the boss and don't leave the area... as long as your whole fire team dies before leaving the area or get summoned by Variks then you wipe and you have to fight the boss again... kill the boss three times and you've got your bounty done. At least that worked last week before the last patch. Or do the 34 twice.
Variks didn't call for me. I just have to do my final PoE 34 run of the week.

To me, the best thing about Destiny PvP is the Hand Cannons. It's unique to Destiny and they're just a ton of fun to use. Every other shooter out there is 99% ARs so I'm fine with Destiny being a HC festival. Sure, it's an unbalanced mess, but I'd much rather they buff the other weapons than nerf the HCs.

I love that about Destiny too, but shotguns are creeping up as the number one weapons and it doesn't make much sense.

IMO the weapon tier should be as follows

• Hand Cannons
  • Scout Rifles
  • Pulse Rifles
  • Auto Rifles

The top should be the most difficult to use but have the fastest optimal TTK. The bottom should be the easiest to use but have the lowest optimal TTK. Mastering Pulse Rifles will make you better than an Auto Rifle user; mastering Scout Rifles will make you better than a Pulse Rifle user; mastering Hand Cannons will make you better than a Scout Rifle user. In theory, this might lead people to choose Hand Cannons to be on top of the food chain, but not everyone will find success with them. Being good with a Hand Cannon means a lot more than outDPSing the other classes; if you miss a shot in long range or close range, the other weapons are going to shred you to pieces.

I feel the same about the special weapons.

• Sniper Rifles
  • Fusion Rifles
  • Shotguns

Shotguns are stupid easy to use right now and some people are able to run around with them the whole game with no consequence. That to me is indicative of a serious design flaw and it has little to do with how ammo is distributed.

• Risk vs Reward
  • Skill = Time Investment
  • Ease of Use = Payoff
  • Balance = Tradeoffs vs Benefits

Bungie doesn't seem very keen on these concepts, or maybe they're conscious of them and have chosen to ignore them.

daedalius

I feel like I usually do better with my MIDA than TLW, but it really depends on the map.

TLW is just so much of a beast at close range; but I feel like MIDA is better all around. Probably should have hung onto that Thorn bounty, since that thing is broken as hell.

stb

This post is beautiful.

Great post my brother stb.

Thanks! I tried to provide some context for it a few posts down by saying all this is only true if Bungie intends to walk the walk about defined roles for weapons.

If they want to go bonkers and have some weapons/perks make classes of weapons viable at... nontraditional effective ranges, they should just go all out. Trying to do both things will only result in neither of them being good.

In my opinion Thorn needs a slight nerf. The buff it received was a lot more than it needed. I would probably go with a slight damage drop off at longer range (so that 2 headshots and burn don't kill but seriously hurt) or reduce the aim assist. Very first time I picked Thorn up I was shocked at how much pull the cross hairs had.

TLW just needs the crit ads glitch fixing. Other than that I feel it is exactly where it is.

Hawkmoon is fine as it is. It is pure rng on if you get the uber rounds fired your way and it has enough flaws for it to not be too op.

AR need a damage buff to somewhere between where they are now (in the gutter) and where they were before the nerf.

Shotguns and fusion are fine as is. Control the maps special ammo and anyone who runs them as primary is soon caught short. Get too close to them and you deserve to be ohko. Yes the range on them can be ridiculous sometimes. But the ROF on them compensates. They have to hit you first time or they lose.

Vex (my go to gun for pvp pre latest patch) probably needs a bit of a drop off in damage at longer range. I shouldn't be consistently out shooting scouts / pulse rifle at long range. Other than that I think it's fine.

Snipers and heavy seem spot on imo.

Dat Shotgun Strat though

Lol holy shit that was funny. The best part was you let me and Unstable debate strategies for like 3 minutes on why the first run didn't work. Then you chimed in with "yeah, I had a shotgun equipped instead of a sniper." And suddenly we understood how the servitor died so quickly.

Dave_6

Got my first. Aggressive, Battle Runner, Armor Piercing, Crowd Control.

Pretty optimal aside from Battle Runner, but good enough to not reroll, I think.

Mine has Spray and Play, Armor Piercing, Injection Mold and Feeding Frenzy. I'd at least like to have Crowd Control rather than two reload perks.

vctor182

HC should control short range.
Pulse mid range.
Scout long range.

Evidently some of the HC's need tuning so this is closer to the reality.

The only hand cannons that defy this are the exotic ones, which in my opinion don't need/want a nerf. They're exotics for a reason and if you nerf them then they'll just like another legendary HC but using up your exotic slot. I'm pretty sure that when Hawkmoon goes on xur sale people will start bitching about how unfair it is to be killed by a single shot.

SkylineRKR

I feel like I usually do better with my MIDA than TLW, but it really depends on the map.

TLW is just so much of a beast at close range; but I feel like MIDA is better all around. Probably should have hung onto that Thorn bounty, since that thing is broken as hell.

Using Thorn this IB. Bored of it lol. I don't really like how it shoots and getting DoT kills becomes stale.

I noticed how little Red Deaths I see. Its mainly Vex, Thorn, TLW, Hawkmoon and some bad jujus.

I have one of those that dropped with aggressive ballistics,smart drift control and soft ballistics.

Battle runner and crowd control as the individual perks.

Armour piercing, snapshot and casket mag.

It's void currently and I can't decide whether to reroll or not. Casket mag only adds a few rounds and the stability is already ridiculous that I don't need any of those perks. But I can't think what else would improve it. It's amazing in pvp and pve

Rasengan/Rollo, I'd love to help you out if I get use of the TV tonight (not sure that I will). If so I'm game, if not it'll be Remote Play Iron Banner for me.
no worries. i'm using DE packages to level my new spear quickly so i can use an EL and get it to 365. if you can't run with us, then i don't mind waiting for Hawkian, either. learning lots by playing with him

Frenden

Banned
I now have four Matador, two Party Crashers, and a Judgment and all have Aggressive, Shot Package, Rifled, and various last perks. A couple in every element.

My two Felwinter's (one old, one new) are just sitting in the vault.

Any reason to waste motes on those? I feel like the Matador has it beat in most instances.

stb

The only hand cannons that defy this are the exotic ones, which in my opinion don't need/want a nerf. They're exotics for a reason and if you nerf them then they'll just like another legendary HC but using up your exotic slot. I'm pretty sure that when Hawkmoon goes on xur sale people will start bitching about how unfair it is to be killed by a single shot.

"Exotic" loses its meaning when 10/12 people in an IB match are running them, though.
- TLW has been sold 4 times; twice in the last two months.
- Thorn has a ~50% chance of showing up in the exotic weapon bounty and isn't THAT hard to clear (I did it without a void primary and am not a "good" PVP player). If a player isn't playing enough to get the 2-3 exotic weapon bounties it might take for the Thorn one to come up, they probably aren't at a light or skill level that would make them show up in PVP matches we're basically all playing in.
- Hawkmoon is the rarest, but, ironically, it's the least OP of the trio.

Even if the prevalence of the HCs in question were low enough to warrant the 'it's an exotic!" defense, just because someone won the RNG lottery doesn't mean they should have a significant advantage in an ostensibly "competitive" PVP mode.

Again, this is all if Bungie wants PVP to be competitive, and not a mindless fuck-around mode (which I don't mean as disparagingly as that might come off).

Top Bottom