• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

Ken

The only issue I see with Thorn is that its Mark of the Devourer is easily most unique perk in the game. Everything else primary-wise is just damage or handling modifiers but Thorn is the only one that can inflict a status which makes it stand out a bit much. You don't really see people complain about ToF/VF Firebolts but slapping the same effect into the gun makes it the worst thing in the world to people. So, rather than nerf it it'd be interesting to see if they could come up with competitors to Thorn in the unique perk department.

E92 M3

"Exotic" loses its meaning when 10/12 people in an IB match are running them, though.
- TLW has been sold 4 times; twice in the last two months.
- Thorn has a ~50% chance of showing up in the exotic weapon bounty and isn't THAT hard to clear (I did it without a void primary and am not a "good" PVP player). If a player isn't playing enough to get the 2-3 exotic weapon bounties it might take for the Thorn one to come up, they probably aren't at a light or skill level that would make them show up in PVP matches we're basically all playing in.
- Hawkmoon is the rarest, but, ironically, it's the least OP of the trio.

Even if the prevalence of the HCs in question were low enough to warrant the 'it's an exotic!" defense, just because someone won the RNG lottery doesn't mean they should have a significant advantage in an ostensibly "competitive" PVP mode.

Again, this is all if Bungie wants PVP to be competitive, and not a mindless fuck-around mode (which I don't mean as disparagingly as that might come off).

Until Bungie separates PVP and PVE no one will be happy. Personally, I'd rather play a fun multiplayer game rather a homogenized and boring game for the sake of balance. Not everything has to be super competitive. There are games that can fulfill that need if you want.

Until Bungie separates PVP and PVE no one will be happy. Personally, I'd rather play a fun multiplayer game rather a homogenized and boring game for the sake of balance. Not everything has to be super competitive. There are games that can fulfill that need if you want.

Agreed.

I think it will also help to create subclasses that are PvE and PvP specific. Will allow for for freedom and creativity versus having to funnel everything together into one.

Axoman

#LF1M #mic Need Level 99 Titan/Warlock dual class, 3 gjallarhorns, at least 3 Flawless cards in ToO, 2400 SAT score. Consideration for Nobel Prize optional, but highly encouraged. Must have checkpoint.

In my day, 1600 was the highest you could score on the SAT, so I'd never be able to join your fireteam.

Ken

Agreed.

I think it will also help to create subclasses that are PvE and PvP specific. Will allow for for freedom and creativity versus having to funnel everything together into one.

I think that'd promote the opposite of freedom and creativity.

It's a beast for sure. I played two more matches with randoms after our group got finished. I got an ~8 kill streak going with that gun and it was the first time I used it, 100% unleveled. Hits harder than any other MG I've ever had but I'm still going to re-roll it once I find what ideal perks are for it.

I got a BTRD with solar, crowd control, hidden hand, and high caliber/smallbore. Thing hits like a train in PVP

Also, anyone looking to do the 35?

stb

I agree that PVP and PVE need to be further separated. The shotgun changes are hopefully the first of many mode-specific changes.

I don't necessarily think that striving for balance is necessarily homogenizing or boring/unfun, but that boils down to personal preference. Like I've said, I don't think there would be anything wrong with Bungie not going for the balance the BF series strives for, but I think there's a balance to be struck between Destiny's unique color and hardcore balance.

That target honestly should probably lie closer to where it currently is than BF; even as a long time BF player (1942), I've enjoyed Destiny's PVP a lot and I think there's a great audience for it. I just would like it to be either a little more traditional as far as weapon roles (there's already enough wildcards with unique weapon perks, grenade types, and supers, IMO) or just throw that concept out the window and embrace the ensuing chaos. I honestly think either would work.

I hope next patch we see:

-Added respawning Level 35 shielded Praetorian to A on Blind Watch and Shores of Time that awards no points when killed.

Seriously, these maps have been out for almost a year now and if you can't figure this out you shouldn't be playing Iron Banner.

I need to do PoE levels 32/34/35 on my Hunter. All my other classes have them done.

Anyone down around 7:30pm EST tonight?

1. Cosmos_Man

That sounds super nice. Mine came with crowd control and surplus. Might try rerolling for hidden hand.

Does hidden hand make that big of a difference in the crit box? I haven't noticed it too much. It'll definitely be the first legendary heavy I ascend

Frenden

Banned
What TV is that?

SEE BELOW.

I bought a 7", 720p HDTV and velcro'd the Vita TV to the back. It's a tiny, tiny Destiny box that I can plug in on my coffee table while the rest of the family watches TV.

Between that and the Vita, I should be covered. I just thought setting up RP over the internet was more involved than it seems to be. It's awesome to read that it's fairly automatic.

I'm pretty sure you can find cheaper options, but I wanted built in speakers:

http://www.robotshop.com/en/7-tft-lcd-display-1280x800-720p-speakers-hdmivgantscpal.html

My 2¢ on weapon balancing:

- I've said/tried to say this before, so apologies if I appear a broken record

- as it stands, handcannons are too good at too many things, which is why they are so prevalent in PVP
- if they wanted to have an exotic handcannon that was essentially a sniper (very long range, high impact, etc.), it should be restricted to that role by having ONE sight option (a mid/high zoom scope). Getting a headshot at 150m with a Thorn's iron sight is absurd. It shouldn't even be on the table to happen by dumb luck, let alone be a tactic/foregone conclusion.
- there will always be something that is the best primary for PVP, but the delta between handcannons and whatever anyone would pick instead is too great.
- if you opt to NOT use handcannons in PVP, you're handicapping yourself by a significant margin
- I'm not saying someone can't dominate with Red Death, I'm saying they can do so in spite of the handicap, and would probably do even better with Thorn or TLW
- the TTK on TLW, specifically, is just plain too high, especially for the range it's *possible* to do it at

- I don't think TTK in general is too high. As it stands, it drives me bananas that I can get the tactical advantage on someone, engage them before they know I'm there, begin shooting them, and they still manage to escape due to nonsense like there being enough time to reflexively mash jump to blink out of my reticle. A higher overall/average TTK would just make that even worse, which would be unforgiveable in a game with blink, regenerating life, and overshields

- it cracks me up that perfect Felwinters rolls where the big PVP complaint in the month(s) preceding HoW, and rather than adjust anything, they give us Party Crasher and Matador. Now the gun that was limited at least by having to grind IB can drop at any time.

- the issue with the guns IN GENERAL, in my opinion, and as a primarily Thorn/Vex/Shotgun (but not blink!) user, are the effective ranges.
- Specifically, how those ranges overlap by too large a margin between types of weapons
- e.g. it being possible for shotguns to 1HK beyond point blank range, or handcannon range being effective enough to even suppress snipers/scouts, let alone out-duel them at sniper/scout range, even if the sniper is terrible. If you choose to engage a sniper in his lane at sniping distance with a thorn, you should either die or waste ammo. It shouldn't even be a consideration to hit a sniper at that distance with anything but a stray AR/scout shot (or another sniper, obviously)
- DICE put forth considerable effort analyzing and tweaking effective ranges of classes of weapons in BF4. I honestly dont know how that panned out for them, as I haven't played BF4 since Destiny game out, but I'd like to see them *competently* analyze the distances that weapons are used at and bring them more in line to defined roles.
xCEXgYH.png.png

(image to illustrate the point; I'm aware this doesn't COMPARE effective/falloff/suppression distances of anything)

- Essentially, every type of weapon should "own" an engagement distance, and if you choose to engage a player with that weapon when you don't have the same type, you should be at a disadvantage at best, waste ammo/die at the worst (depending on how mobile you are).

100% agree with this. Basically, there needs to be a general range overhaul to make each weapon own a space. Right now the effective range for each weapon looks something like this:

green = very effective
yellow = effective
red = not very effective

Personally, I think the Scout and Pulse are good where they're at, but the other two are crowding their effective space too much to make them viable choices. The only reason we're not seeing so many auto rifles is because they nerfed the damage too much to make them viable anywhere. So assuming they buffed auto rifle damage back to where it was before the last nerf, I think the effective ranges should look more like this:

Basically spread them out some more. There would definitely need to be a few more tweaks on top of that like the aforementioned AR damage buff, and individual exotics would need their own tweaking, but I think this would go a long way towards making everything viable.

I hope next patch we see:

-Added respawning Level 35 shielded Praetorian to A on Blind Watch and Shores of Time that awards no points when killed.

Seriously, these maps have been out for almost a year now and if you can't figure this out you shouldn't be playing Iron Banner.
The control cap bounty they added certainly doesn't help dissuade people (or me) from capping bad points.

Wait a minute.

Wait.

A.

Minute.

Did we seriously just go two full expansions, on top of a full game launch and still only have 1 single void exotic weapon?

WTF Bungie?

I know you guys can do magical things with the color purple, so fucking do it.

Need one more for Nightfall. Join on jayforone or clionen. We should do it in less than 10 min

Inv me, ShikiAoi.

Wait a minute.

Wait.

A.

Minute.

Did we seriously just go two full expansion, on top of a full game launch and still only have 1 single void exotic weapon?

WTF Bungie?

Make it PS4 exclusive lol

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Does anyone know for sure if I can reroll my old Efrideeta's Spear and get Final Round on it?

I understand that the new ones do not have FR but do the old weapons still have the same perk sets locked to them?

Killed skolas for first time this week (killed him once per previous two weeks) and he dropped a second ship for me from the big chest. The same one you get for the very first kill you do. Pretty cool, now two of my chars can have the beautiful ship.

Its so much easier with 3x high impact snipers, we got it on our 2nd try with 2x ldrs and 1x efrideets, he died with still 5 secs left on first mine (hunter ran to disarm it). last night spent about 3 hours with 2x praedyths and 1x ldr and we would always get wrecked by stuff around 10% of boss HP. Two titans also made it a lot easier, dropping the second bubble really saved our ass the last 20%.

E92 M3

Would be awesome for Bungie to introduce melee weapons as a permanent fixture of weapon class. Maybe they can disable heavies or something.

Deku Tree

Wait a minute.

Wait.

A.

Minute.

Did we seriously just go two full expansion, on top of a full game launch and still only have 1 single void exotic weapon?

WTF Bungie?

Void is the rarest shield in the game.

I just want an exotic ARC Burn RL.... is that too much to ask for?

I'm game. What time do you think you'd be on tonight? If we could start it earlier than 9PM that would be better I guess. I can't stay up until 2 AM on a work night again LOL.
well, now that we know the mechanics, i think we could get through it faster, right?
earliest i could get on is around 8:45. :/
i will have a fully ascended void spear by tonight.

stb

100% agree with this. Basically, there needs to be a general range overhaul to make each weapon own a space. Right now the effective range for each weapon looks something like this:

green = very effective
yellow = effective
red = not very effective

Personally, I think the Scout and Pulse are good where they're at, but the other two are crowding their effective space too much to make them viable choices. The only reason we're not seeing so many auto rifles is because they nerfed the damage too much to make them viable anywhere. So assuming they buffed auto rifle damage back to where it was before the last nerf, I think the effective ranges should look more like this:

Basically spread them out some more. There would definitely need to be a few more tweaks on top of that like the aforementioned AR damage buff, and individual exotics would need their own tweaking, but I think this would go a long way towards making everything viable.

This is gorgeous. I've been intending to make similar graphics, but I've spent my available time playing, instead. Thanks for this.

Edit: ugh. Sorry for the second wasted top of page post in as many days (I think).

Edit 2: I don't NECESSARILY agree with or endorse the specific range gradients, or the general bucket (e.g. I dont really see autorifles as the 'up close" gun; I'd probably put autos between HC and pulse, put fusion and HC in almost the same space, and have shotguns at the extreme "close" end. But this IS the exact concept I was visualizing.

Void is the rarest shield in the game.

I just want an exotic ARC Burn RL.... is that too much to ask for?

That's no excuse.

Minotaurs and Psions are both incredibly annoying with shields.

Right now we have:
  • 11 Kinetic
  • 8 Sol
  • 7 Arc
  • 1 Void

Currently Void Shields have a 2:3 ratio for compared to Arc or Sol. Definitely no excuse.

Top Bottom