• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

Zocano

I'll say it again, the heart of the problem is that pve focused players feel like they need to do trials to get strong weapons to help them in pve.

They need to create a much larger divide between pve and PvP gear. But that could require a huge fundamental mixup of how gear works in PvP.

For middle perk I use Casket Mag (stability loss is nothing major, and can use smooth ballistics.. can also use gunslingers trance) but maybe armor piercing works fine too.

Its better than Hammer imo. Higher ROF + stability and impact is hardly lower. I think this one has better TTK.

Yeah, I got the perk for more stab but less rounds, kind of pointless since it already has great stab. Plus all three barrels I got are meh, so I'll probably reroll. With FS it gives you like 75 rounds, so I really want that.

Just wish I had more motes. Need to reroll this, Felwinter, and Spare Change.

Yeah the crux of it seems to be that's its lopsided. I would absolutely LOVE an elemental primary for PvE, yet that's an elite PvP reward. Unless I'm missing something elemental damage is largely irrelevant for PvP.

It's completely irrelevant which is why it's odd. I guess it's Bungie trying to push you to try the other side if you're mostly a PvP player. Similar to how some of the IB gear has PvE specific perks. I'm always confused about why most of the Crucible gear and weapon drops don't have Crucible specific perks the same way PvE stuff does (ie extra Hive damage, etc).

Deku Tree

the distribution is fine. both parts of the game give you "equal" rewards. its the frequency that sucks. In the time it takes to get two elemental primaries from Trials on top of other weapon drops, you can go a whole PoE without grabbing anything but a Queen weapon and some cores. That's some BS, especially when nothing drops from Skolas

Skolas should have a higher drop rate for sure. It feels even worse when the lighthouse has a guaranteed elemental primary.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll say it again, the heart of the problem is that pve focused players feel like they need to do trials to get strong weapons to help them in pve.

They need to create a much larger divide between pve and PvP gear. But that could require a huge fundamental mixup of how gear works in PvP.
I think PvE players just want new stuff. But the reality is that VoG weapons are still the best most the majority of PvE content. Throw in a Word of Crota and a Blackhammer and you basically have everything you need to complete Skolas.

I just got a solar hand cannon yesterday from PvE that is basically fatebringer without the firefly perk. But it does have Army of One. If you look closely, almost every PvP weapon/gear has a PvE equivalent this time around. You can say PvP is guaranteed and PvE is random but you still have RNG on Mercury and RNG of match making and running into Zoba :p

I realize there are elemental primaries out there in PvE land (although I don't one yet!) but that's irrelevant to what I'm saying. Conceptually, an extremely good PvE reward for an elite PvP activity doesn't make a ton of sense.

lt519

In your opinion what Trials gear does a PvE player really need that they can't get an equivalent of in PvE already? Especially if they are a PvE player to start with. I don't get this statement. PvE players shouldn't feel like they are locked out of anything, we have plenty of good gear to collect, but alas not as cool looking ):

I realize there are elemental primaries out there in PvE land (although I don't one yet!) but that's irrelevant to what I'm saying. Conceptually, an extremely good PvE reward for an elite PvP activity doesn't make a ton of sense.

I can see that, but there is no harm when you can get an equivalent in PvE. If ToO was the only way to get elemental primaries in this expansion then it would be a problem, especially with the high skill level required, but it's not. My Six Dreg Pride II (solar) is better for PvE than the Jewel of Osiris (adept) solar.

zewone

An elemental primary is like my white whale. I've still never seen one and I don't know that I ever will.

Have you do VoG or Crota's End?

Or are you referring to the PoE drops?

Because VoC and Fatebringer are going to be better than anything that drops from PoE.

ERMint13

This game needs a mercy rule. If 80% of the other team quits the match ends. It's horse crap getting dropped into matches half over to get hit by a rocket then take a nova bomb without ever taking even a step.

For me it's really about time.

When I'm done doing all the PvE Destiny content I have very little time left for video games, and I usually don't even really have time to do the old raids anymore either, and the only game I've played since Destiny came out is Destiny lol.

I have a lot of other things going on in my life, and I sometimes hang out on GAF on the weekends and read about everyone getting ToO teams together or IB teams and I'm like... I wish I had time for that!

Otherwise I like PvE and PvP in Destiny.

you're fine deku. my dialog is just about the players that arent interested in part of the game. It'll be a while before Bungie makes that exclusivity 100% possible. In the mean time, id hope the community is supportive enough that anyone can experience it and grab the piece of loot they want. Its a staple of games like this that ive always appreciated.

im not speaking about Trials specifically even though it the most relevant.

Have you do VoG or Crota's End?

Or are you referring to the PoE drops?

Because VoC and Fatebringer are going to be better than anything that drops from PoE.

I've had great luck with drops in raids...as far as armor goes. I think I've gotten exactly one weapon ever from either raid.

Ken

Agreed, but I do think ToO is an entirely different beast. It's scared a lot of people off and getting carried isn't fun for some people so they feel locked out of the gear. It's also not easy to get on a carry list, I tried a few times and just gave up, you guys do great work but can only get through so many people and it is a little clique-ish in here sometimes.

I tried to make the argument a page back that the gear really isn't important. For example the Jewel of Osiris (Adept) and the Six Dreg Pride II are practically the same thing except one has a PvP perk and one a PvE perk. If you aren't a big PvP player then you really don't need all that ToO gear and vice versa. Before House of Wolves it was an issue because before Iron Banner people that mainly played PvP had to do raids to get the high level gear and weapons. They did a good job with this expansion allowing you to play whatever you enjoy most. If that's a 80/20 split in one direction then that's that persons choice.

Nobody should feel like they have to run PvP, and I don't think they do. I think that's the issue here, otherwise people wouldn't feel "locked out."

Here's my other thing with players going after ToO gear. Given that there's only one way to acquire Exile and Adept gear, I'm pretty sure Bungie, like most MMO developers, wanted those equipment to be a sign of a decent PvP player. Maybe they'll lighten up the requirements later when there's new shiny gear to go after and Exile/Adept lose their prestige, but for now I kind of just assume people with Exile/Adept can hold their own in any PvP mode.

I guess it's the difference between when I see someone in IB gear versus someone in Exile; the former can just be grinded out over a week so I don't take that as a sign of anything while there's some level of expectation with the latter.

Also the lag is awful in Crucible at the moment wow.

zewone

I've had great luck with drops in raids...as far as armor goes. I think I've gotten exactly one weapon ever from either raid.

Wow, really?

That's some bad luck there.

You're the type of person I wouldn't mind carrying to a guaranteed elemental primary in ToO.

Everyone should have at least one.

TheOddOne

Got my Hunter to the Lighthouse again. Now time to focus on my Warlock and Titan.

I got a No Land Beyond from the chest. Burn, me, alive.

patchday

This game needs a mercy rule. If 80% of the other team quits the match ends. It's horse crap getting dropped into matches half over to get hit by a rocket then take a nova bomb without ever taking even a step.

You talking bout Iron Banner? I love getting dropped into a match almost over. Sure, that's an instant medallion of fail. But if it only takes a min or two to earn it then its all good! I consider myself blessed!!! Because that's an extra match I can convert into rep after I win

patchday

The good PVP players are in ToO likely.

nah, he's probably just solo. I've noticed a long time ago when I play with gaf my K/D drops severly cause we getting matched up against fellow organized teams.

But when I'm solo, I'm much more likely to face other randoms and I get crazy high K/D ratio

I would say maybe one day I'll get good enough to rake pro destiny players like that but I doubt that day would ever come. Because since there is no money on the line (or tournaments) for this game I don't see the point to focusing that much effort to go pro

Now other games with professional tournaments I could see myself getting super serious bout those.

[edit] For example, I've won some decent cash winning local Madden tournaments in the day but this game actually lacks that capability altogether

I can see that, but there is no harm when you can get an equivalent in PvE.

I would say the proof of harm is in this very thread. There's a ton of non-pvpers looking for Mercury trains. God bless Zoba, Unstable, and whoever else, but this is all kind of insane.

But seriously, you train runners are good people and deserve nice things to happen to you.

Top Bottom