• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

patchday

Ran IB with Unstable the other day. Sucked my k/d dipped but I learned a lot.

It's a shame ToO is only 3v3. Doesn't allow the GAF superstars to bring along many gafs for the ride

Ken

I'm not much for engram gambling. might try one or two.

yeah, my titan might have to sit out of too this weekend.

siigh

11145229_10152733258426841_8069050371202751_o.jpg

Believe in the cryptarch.

In your opinion what Trials gear does a PvE player really need that they can't get an equivalent of in PvE already? Especially if they are a PvE player to start with. I don't get this statement. PvE players shouldn't feel like they are locked out of anything, we have plenty of good gear to collect, but alas not as cool looking ):

I can see that, but there is no harm when you can get an equivalent in PvE. If ToO was the only way to get elemental primaries in this expansion then it would be a problem, especially with the high skill level required, but it's not. My Six Dreg Pride II (solar) is better for PvE than the Jewel of Osiris (adept) solar.

Mentioned earlier that it's great we can reach max level and loot elemental weapons from both PvE and PvP in House of Wolves. The main issue is that the PvP side has somewhat better payoff for those able to clear the content. Or at least, more people are interested in the Jewel than they are in Shank burn.

patchday

I'll say it again, the heart of the problem is that pve focused players feel like they need to do trials to get strong weapons to help them in pve.

They need to create a much larger divide between pve and PvP gear. But that could require a huge fundamental mixup of how gear works in PvP.

I personally think PoE is way too stingy. Myself- I'm a huge fan of Diablo approach where I constantly see loot and awards flying around. PoE- you have to complete the entire activity to get anything. This is much, much worse than the raids. 50x worse.

If PoE is taking too long and you have to leave- you have no checkpoint....

But this was prepatch when I played PoE. Will try again now that some fixes were implemented

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Got 2 cipher to farm and 1 cipher that needs to open the chest. How does it work ?
You can repeatedly kill Skolas to get it done if you want to do it ASAP (just wipe after you kill him). From 0, you need 3 kills.

I can do it later if you want. I was just going to get it naturally, but I have double ciphers I want to get rid of. I'm afraid to throw one away in case it fucks up the game some how.

patchday

Mentioned earlier that it's great we can reach max level and loot elemental weapons from both PvE and PvP in House of Wolves. The main issue is that the PvP side has somewhat better payoff for those able to clear the content. Or at least, more people are interested in the Jewel than they are in Shank burn.

Yeah pvp in ToO is much more fair and much better designed (esp if we get a good map).

PVP players get a 'card' that saves the progress. Just like how raids are done

PoE.... Don't get me started. It' sucks. Raids were 50x better

[edit] PoE itself is fun! To be clear, no checkpoints and no awards after finishing a round is what I think is stupid

SkylineRKR

Yeah pvp in ToO is much more fair and much better designed (esp if we get a good map).

PVP players get a 'card' that saves the progress. Just like how raids are done

PoE.... Don't get me started. It' sucks. Raids were 50x better

[edit] PoE itself is fun! To be clear, no checkpoints and no awards after finishing a round is what I think is stupid

ToO is good if you've got a good team, otherwise its frustrating.

Prison of Elders was fun the first 2 times but after 5 or so runs I never bothered with it again and probably won't return too. Gear thats being sold is all STR build, I just ascended my Tireless Striders and Sanction Customs with Hand Cannon loader.

Lima

Purifier Robes are so dumb in PvP, especially in Trials. I put them on when I have my super and rush hard with TLW and a shotgun. Try to take one out and die, rez and they are blind. High fives for everyone. Love it.

I can do either. Need 34 for a cipher, or 35 on 2 other characters in general. Would prefer 34 I think.

PSN - Dr_LawyerCop
Do you mind farming the 34 boss? I need to kill it 3 times to complete my cipher bounty.
Psn is Vincentgrey. Send me an invite if you wanna do that.

Bungie considers PoE a horde mode and i havent played one that had saves. It's designed like a Raid though so thats where the contradiction comes in. Raid like bosses need checkpoints if theyre going to take hours of attempts.

They really didnt want people passing around and farming Skolas it seems. A solution is tough to imagine

stb

I'll say it again, the heart of the problem is that pve focused players feel like they need to do trials to get strong weapons to help them in pve.

They need to create a much larger divide between pve and PvP gear. But that could require a huge fundamental mixup of how gear works in PvP.

I agree, and would add it's also the volume of rewards, but Bungie actively wants people to play both:
- The bounty bot shows both on the same screen, despite "Vanguard" and "Crucible" everything else being separated other than faction emblems dumping XP into one faction.
- exotic bounties requiring both PVP and PVE activities
- elemental weapons as ToO rewards

I can tell you the primary reason I'm drawn to ToO is etheric light and a solar Jewel.

Also, I'll readily admit the 'path of least resistance' aspect. Unstable carrying me to Mercury took ~40 minutes, and I got a piece of max light armor, 3 etheric light, an elemental primary, a bunch of trials coins, motes, etc.

Putting fruit that juicy behind a wall is just begging people to ask for a boost over, especially when it seems like it's SO easy for some.

Purifier Robes are so dumb in PvP, especially in Trials. I put them on when I have my super and rush hard with TLW and a shotgun. Try to take one out and die, rez and they are blind. High fives for everyone. Love it.
sounds like ultimate troll strategy. dunno how successful itll be on widows court though

lt519

Fair my shank burn sucks but I'll take army of one over airborne and third eye. They are very oriented to their PvE or PvP source. I could have very well rolled disorient captains or more damage to all fallen.

patchday

Bungie considers PoE a horde mode and i havent played one that had saves. It's designed like a Raid though so thats where the contradiction comes in. Raid like bosses need checkpoints if theyre going to take hours of attempts.

They really didnt want people passing around and farming Skolas it seems. A solution is tough to imagine

Good points as always. The thing I find different about Bungie's horde mode is that it has the challenging end boss. It was pre-patch when I last did PoE. Will have to try post-patch. I suspect I'll blow right through it now though that all my chars are L34. Will get even easier once I start ascending all my guns.

stb

You talking bout Iron Banner? I love getting dropped into a match almost over. Sure, that's an instant medallion of fail. But if it only takes a min or two to earn it then its all good! I consider myself blessed!!! Because that's an extra match I can convert into rep after I win

That's how I feel about them, too. "Oh, free medal."

Good points as always. The thing I find different about Bungie's horde mode is that it has the challenging end boss. It was pre-patch when I last did PoE. Will have to try post-patch. I suspect I'll blow right through it now though that all my chars are L34. Will get even easier once I start ascending all my guns.

Quodron is easier but i dont notice a difference across the challenges except for the chests

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I agree, and would add it's also the volume of rewards, but Bungie actively wants people to play both:
- The bounty bot shows both on the same screen, despite "Vanguard" and "Crucible" everything else being separated other than faction emblems dumping XP into one faction.
- exotic bounties requiring both PVP and PVE activities
- elemental weapons as ToO rewards

I can tell you the primary reason I'm drawn to ToO is etheric light and a solar Jewel.

Also, I'll readily admit the 'path of least resistance' aspect. Unstable carrying me to Mercury took ~40 minutes, and I got a piece of max light armor, 3 etheric light, an elemental primary, a bunch of trials coins, motes, etc.

Putting fruit that juicy behind a wall is just begging people to ask for a boost over, especially when it seems like it's SO easy for some.
I think part of it is that it's pretty easy to carry people through PvE content, so maybe people have the same expectations with PvP.

I think the most hilarious perk is that Dreg buff. I believe its on a Fusion Rifle as well, lol.

lightswitch will make you love that perk ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You kill the boss at the end and then everyone blows themselves up with a rocket. then just repeat.

My psn is Vincentgrey. Send me an invite if you want to do that.

Thanks for the offer, I was just wondering how to do that for future references. Not planning to play as of now :/ sorry

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I want to get all +revive gear on my guys. Like a fool I sharded my old revive chestpiece for my titan. Never again.
they are all very valuable. The titan Crest is the only original exotic, weapon or armor, in the entire game I don't have

LiK

i'm gonna do some Queen bounties for the keys. getting tired of playing PoE and not opening that big chest.

patchday

they are all very valuable. The titan Crest is the only original exotic, weapon or armor, in the entire game I don't have

luckily a NF dropped that piece for my titan right before ToO came along. Bout to finish unlocking the +revive perk in a few mins then give this a whirl in ToO later

blackjaw

i'm gonna do some Queen bounties for the keys. getting tired of playing PoE and not opening that big chest.

I think if one person opens it, everyone should be able to loot...I mean the chest is open right, we just throwing extra keys inside it?

So I'm at work right now and I'm wondering what the best strategy for this week's ToO is since I haven't ever played on the map. Obviously the best strategy is kill and don't be killed, but what seems to be a good weapon and engagement area for this map?

SkylineRKR

I have history with that thing.

My first exotic ever I think. And I was gutted as it were my first motes I wasted (like, when Xur sold Gjallarhorn...) and I was a Hunter. I read Hunter had Crest of AL also, so I checked again.. but nope it surely was Titan version :(

Bought Lucky Raspberry instead and skipped Gjallarhorn. Because it was just a RL right? But would get 3 horns in November anyway.

LiK

I think if one person opens it, everyone should be able to loot...I mean the chest is open right, we just throwing extra keys inside it?

can't loot anything even if it's open without a key. should be for all if it's 35 since that was quality teamwork to beat Skolas.

Top Bottom