• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

Omni

My characters looking rather fabulous. Both 34s by the way.

2EZOiQ.png

Skele7on

Banned
There is a difference between someone who has been in this community since the beginning venting versus a random coming here to thread shit.

You ignoring that on purpose is helping you fuel your hate for me. It's too obvious. Try harder.

I'm a veteran, played since pre alpha, anyway try harder to get good at PVP instead of just saying its shit.

On a lighter note I have received a few of those HOW tshirts through and will do some form of giveaway soon.

It made Hawkian drop the OTs and he shot the patience of a saint :p mood curve looked more like co tangent than sine.

I'm beginning to understand his plight more and more every day. When you run the OTs all the negativity starts to feel more personal. Hard to explain unless you're the one up front taking the arrows :p

Buy the gear you need to be 34 and do the stuff that gives you Etheric, you'll customize later.

But my main is a warlock. I need that super up as frequently as possible. Because I bought the chest last week to hit 33 I have to run the skull of dire akharma (which is void focused) to get a higher recharge rate on my super due to the relatively high +int. Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that I have run nightfalls on all characters since HoW launch and haven't gotten one Etheric Light.

More than anything, the thing that bothers me is that I am liking PoE, but the poor items for sale from Varicks and the comparatively weak lvl 35 guns (really shank burns or dreg burn?) makes me less interested in going higher than PoE 28. Maybe its just me, but the carrot on the stick seems to be lacking compared to VoG and Crota.

Namikaze1

Drizzay, you're a good guy but I'm sorry if you can't handle some negativity. The thread can't always be positive and stuff.

If you think this week's Skolas is hard, please jump off a cliff.
Haven't done it yet but void burn already makes it easier and much more doable than last week.

Lnkn52

I'm beginning to understand his plight more and more every day. When you run the OTs all the negativity starts to feel more personal. Hard to explain unless you're the one up front taking the arrows :p

Can you imagine how Deej feels? Everyone thinks he designed the game. lol

This guy:
1_class_cam.gif

Do new raid loot drop have the new max light? Like instead of wasting an etheric light couldn't I just run some raids?

Also WheelHoss I'm only level 33 and need to do it 2x, I won't be upset if you want to pick someone else up. I see Snake113 up for grab.

phen0m24

Breathe people breathe

It's like we've all been Thorn poisoned and we're all screaming and scrambling around

Byron occasionally vents - let it roll off your back and you'll be fine
Drizzy will never make everyone happy with the titles - nice thing is, we can post in here regardless of the titles ;)

Hi, it's Tuesday and we have much to do, unless we just wait until E3.

I played pvp again last night and went 27 - 7 once but then went 8 - 16.

Atone13

I'm pretty new around here, and love all you Destiny freaks. It's nice to hang with some folks with the same level of addiction as me. It's like a support group!

So Iron Banner. I've never done it, because I didn't think I liked PvP, but after playing some very fun ToO this weekend, I think I'm starting to dig it. Is Iron Banner really frustrating to grind for somebody that is not great at PvP? What are the basics on how the reward system works?

(I know I can go searching for this information, but would love some input and opinions from you fine folks!)

IB can be a bit of a slog if you're after all the rewards right away. but as the week progresses they buff the rep gain and it's really not bad leveling up the rep. Just buy the bonus tokens and what not. The basics are you hit the appropriate rank and buy the reward offered for it if you want it, might need some glimmer farming if you're low.

I wasn't that much into the pvp side, but after the last IB i've been playing much more pvp and really enjoying, so it might grow on you too. If you end up not really liking the pvp, it can be a bit of a trudge if you want all the rewards. Anyway, I tend to play a lot of IB when it's out, so if you want to add me on PSN @ atone1382 feel free to join me if you see me playing games. I often just queue up solo and play a few games.

Edit.

I did forget to mention they do include level bonuses in the IB, so I'm not sure what level you are, but a few lvls below 34 will be fine for it, but if you're in your 20's it might be a bit rougher than usual.

Someone direct me to this hard Crota stuff as I wasn't playing during TDB.

I wanna say it was like OT16...? Not sure, I'd have to go dig through the archives. You aren't missing anything though, it was just a lot of negativity. Probably the low point of the entire community's history.

TDB was (and is) a big disappointment so HM CE was the last gasp hope that people had to salvage something exciting from the expansion. Instead we got the worst content in the game, with forced under-leveling and exactly 0 other meaningful changes, plus exacerbated Scrota glitchiness. Not a fun time, and sadly some of the ugliness is returning again with blowback against HoW even though the overall reception is still much more positive.

Qwell

Hard Crota was never that bad for me. Sure we spent 6 hours or so one attempt first day, but it was extremely satisfying when killing him. Always wondered why some took it so hard.
Because those 6 hour attempts kept happening after the first kill. If anything sent wrong it usually meant a wipe, you basically had to have a perfect run. Rocket timing, sword proofing, swordbearer hiding, ogre spawns, crota getting up quick. I remember running a train with the same group of folks, first set of characters took like 1 attempt, we hop on other characters and get stuck for 3 hours.

Ken

I wanna say it was like OT16...? Not sure, I'd have to go dig through the archives. You aren't missing anything though, it was just a lot of negativity. Probably the low point of the entire community's history.

TDB was (and is) a big disappointment so HM CE was the last gasp hope that people had to salvage something exciting from the expansion. Instead we got the worst content in the game, with forced under-leveling and exactly 0 other meaningful changes, plus exacerbated Scrota glitchiness. Not a fun time, and sadly some of the ugliness is returning again with blowback against HoW even though the overall reception is still much more positive.

Ouch. Guess I'm glad I skipped over TDB then.

Kalamari

I think most gamers have trouble letting things go, always feeling wronged about when a game doesn't meet their expectations. It's video games, there are far more worthwile things to be upset about. If you aren't happy about a game, just move on and find something else you enjoy. You will be much happier.

I don't think it's just HaloGAF that has this problem, I think any franchise with a fervent fanbase witnesses this kind of drama.

I was just so pumped to come back and then everything sucked =\

I had more fun key farming the weekend before HoW launched :(

Pretty much how I feel, was hoping to get back after couple of months of hiatus but the PoE shit is not worth my time anymore. Never thought I'd actually miss that buggy-ass raid from TDB.

X-Frame

I think the day the Hard Raid released was the day I stopped logging into Destiny except for the Fun Runs.

ocean

Banned
I'm pretty new around here, and love all you Destiny freaks. It's nice to hang with some folks with the same level of addiction as me. It's like a support group!

So Iron Banner. I've never done it, because I didn't think I liked PvP, but after playing some very fun ToO this weekend, I think I'm starting to dig it. Is Iron Banner really frustrating to grind for somebody that is not great at PvP? What are the basics on how the reward system works?

(I know I can go searching for this information, but would love some input and opinions from you fine folks!)
Welcome!

The good thing about Iron Banner is that, unlike ToO, losing will slow you down but not set you back.

It's basically standard Control with two differences:
1. Level advantages are enabled. This means going in as a level 24 will mean certain and swift failure. Unless you're 3 or more levels below the cap it's a very small difference though. If you're 32 or over you should be fine. Likewise, a 365 weapon will do more damage but it isn't thaaaat big a difference. Just don't show up with a 247 attack blue and you'll be okay :p
2. Reputation buffs are sold. Reaching rank 5 takes a very, very long time. There are some buffs however that boost your rep gains. The first day it's negligible but by Monday (day before reset, last day of Banner) it'll double your rep gain if I recall correctly. Wearing Iron Banner Shader, Emblem and class item also offer buffs which stack. If you have all three, it's a 33% buff (1.1x1.1x1.1).

Also unlike ToO, it has matchmaking. You'll generally have a far better time with a team. Since it's low stakes compared to ToO, voice comms are used more for fun banter than tense, serious tactics. You'll still benefit greatly from team coordination vs playing with ransoms - agreeing on which points to cap, to go for a spawn flip, decide to rush far heavy or whatever.

Tip: try to do as many bounties as you can! They make a huge difference in terms of how fast you'll rank up your rep.

E92 M3

If you think this week's Skolas is hard, please jump off a cliff.

Lol - I am thinking to bring ES and Tomorrow's Answer. Plus whatever primary.

Because those 6 hour attempts kept happening after the first kill. If anything sent wrong it usually meant a wipe, you basically had to have a perfect run. Rocket timing, sword proofing, swordbearer hiding, ogre spawns, crota getting up quick. I remember running a train with the same group of folks, first set of characters took like 1 attempt, we hop on other characters and get stuck for 3 hours.

See, I never had 6 hour attempts after the first. Maybe 30-45 minutes a few times.

noomi

Not going to lie, I was one of those that was very upset with the raid, and I'm sure I must have vented my frustrations once or twice in a lengthy post.

I think my team spent about 9 hours there over a 2 day period, we were drained, upset, and very negative about the whole experience.

I remember a lot of posts saying something like "once I have the weapons, never again...."

Then we got the perfect strat and I proceeded to run HM Crota for months farming for the Hawkmoon :p

Well I'm happy this week that I'll be able to finally finish off Skolas with these somewhat manageable modifiers. Haven't even attempted it yet since HoW came out, but I'm 34 and ready to roll! Well, not right now, but later when I get off work. Anyone down to marathon through some 32-34-35 PoE later tonight? Like 8:30 EST?

Karl2177

Mere curiosity. I've always read HaloGAF was prone to drama and got shut down or something. Was it this kind of thing? :p

Imagine 90% of the posts were just filled with whining and no specifics on what the problem was(tbh, basically like Byron's recent posts). Now you've got HaloGAF.

radiohead1

Neo Member
IB can be a bit of a slog if you're after all the rewards right away. but as the week progresses they buff the rep gain and it's really not bad leveling up the rep. Just buy the bonus tokens and what not. The basics are you hit the appropriate rank and buy the reward offered for it if you want it, might need some glimmer farming if you're low.

I wasn't that much into the pvp side, but after the last IB i've been playing much more pvp and really enjoying, so it might grow on you too. If you end up not really liking the pvp, it can be a bit of a trudge if you want all the rewards. Anyway, I tend to play a lot of IB when it's out, so if you want to add me on PSN @ atone1382 feel free to join me if you see me playing games. I often just queue up solo and play a few games.

Edit.

I did forget to mention they do include level bonuses in the IB, so I'm not sure what level you are, but a few lvls below 34 will be fine for it, but if you're in your 20's it might be a bit rougher than usual.

I'll add you! And anybody that wants to add me, go for it. PSN = dorssom. I'm a level 34 Titan, so I won't be able to use level disadvantage as my excuse for sucking :(

Drizzay, you're a good guy but I'm sorry if you can't handle some negativity. The thread can't always be positive and stuff.

Asking people to be nicer isn't remotely the same as not "handling" negativity, it's precisely how I handle it. I've never asked for the thread to be all positive, I've stated the exact opposite many times. People should voice their concerns and criticisms but ideally in a useful way. Repeatedly saying "this is bad" with no offer to help or suggestion to improve is not useful.

The lack of empathy is really getting me down. I don't get the point of DGAF'ers being mean to each other, whether or not they're unhappy with the game.

spyder_ur

Iron Banner is some of the most fun I've had in this game with 6-man parties. The grind isn't too bad if you like PvP and get in a group. The Tempered buff you can buy from Saladin increases in effectiveness as the week goes on, so it's a 15% rep boost or something today, but it's over 100% I think on Sunday/Monday. I've found my best experience with it to be to play an hour or two a night, clear that day's bounties, and maybe play a longer session or two on the weekend.

Since you can hold the Medallions that give you most of the rep you would have gotten had you won a game, and then cash them in when you actually win, you can progress pretty consistently.

I think I may start a group tonight, but if you watch the thread you'll see plenty of groups forming.

ich00

Welcome! It is awesome here, we're like a big happy dysfunctiona family!

It's fun! Actually it can be a pain in the arse and daunting if you let it be, but don't! Look around for GAF Trains, it makes the experience much more enjoyable.

The rewards are based on your rank, plus your glimmer wealth, so if you plan on doing it on 3 characters it can be a grind, both in rep and glimmer. Each ran gives you a different reward.

Here's a great post on reddit that gives you a great rundown of what to expect: http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheG...he_traditional_how_do_i_level_up_iron_banner/

The part of it I use is the leveling guide: basically you need to play 6 games a day and turn in 3 bounties and you'll reach max rank by day 6.

I hope that helps a bit. Most importantly: don't let it get to you. If you're not enjoying it solo, try it with a group, it will make it much better.

phen0m24

The lack of empathy is really getting me down. I don't get the point of DGAF'ers being mean to each other, whether or not they're unhappy with the game.

Because we are "people" people, bud. Not everyone subscribes to our view. I try to make peace even if sometimes I lob the occasional molotov. :(

Top Bottom