• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

Havok

So, last night Ramirez conscripted Havok to carry me through the Trials of Osiris. I didn't do as poorly as I expected to do, but I imagine that was largely due to their sheer dominance. We breezed through 9 straight wins, I ended the evening with:
  • a .75k/d ratio
  • a bad ass emblem
  • a really fancy cloak for my Hunter
  • 42 lvl Bootsies
  • Watcher's Grips with Hand Cannon reload increase
  • Solar The Scholar (Adept) Scout Rifle
  • Jewel of Osiris
  • Exile's Curse
  • 3 Etheric Light

HUGE thanks to Ramirez and Havok for turning what should have been utter dismay and defeat into an extremely fun evening. This means I'll be able to get my Titan to 34 and ascend my Fatebringer. yissssssss
No problem, dude - glad you were able to get some good stuff! You did totally fine, not dying and being quick on the revive is a huge boost to the party.

Jinjo

Re: The Trials debate.

I'd argue that no skill-based matchmaking is in the name too. It's supposed to be a trial. You should be able to surpass any team you get matched against to call yourself a champion of the trials of Osiris, no matter their skill.

geordiemp

Again, you're thinking it in black and white terms. Sure, yes, in some weird ideal world you will always lose 1/2 your games even in the short term. But this isn't an ideal world and you're not going to lose 2 games just because you said I only want to play 4 today.

Winning 9 games in a row should be hard, for anybody. And yes, you will lose more often, but because you lost to your equals and not because you just happened to get matched against people who would clearly trounce you. If you lose to your equals it's because you played poorly for how you should be playing at your skill level. Beat them by playing smarter and better. This isn't a black/white game of chance. There are more variables than just "50/50 guess I lose this time."

It does not work - it killed COD AW community - skill based match making with me as KD of 2 all games I got where people > 500 miles away... clan of 20 and we all left. COD lost many players.

I never got games with UK players at peak time on Ps4 ...and UK has massive install base.

That's why I play destiny - I just want games where I play and people are not lagging all over the map.

Skill based match making ONLY works if you have LOCAL DEDICATED SERVERS. COD AW is basically who is on the good side of LAG, and the lag is real in every single game as the game server searches for similar players from Greece, Poland, France, UK, Spain, Italy...and its SHIT.

Otherwise every game should be based on PING to the host, as primary, secondary and tertiary.

Otherwise at 30 FPS the game is CRAP for many players, the only ones that benefit are the people with the average KD.

And then the reverse boosting starts, get killed all week and then wreck in trials. That what happens in COD...

They started banning people for killing themselves. It was an epidemic.

Destiny did it right, its based on Connection for trials of OSIRIS.
and it should be. Games have to be local to be fair otherwise you spend you time shooting where players used to be, getting shot round corners...shudders at what COD has become. If it had local only match making I would still be playing...but COD is dead to me.

And what KD do you use to match with a party ? Will the KD 0.5 players want to play with a 3 KD player anymore....?

Split up friends by KD ? Just no. NO.

Destiny is a social game - I want to play with others I enjoy playing with, imagine if they said sorry you cant join us we are all KD 0.7 we don't want a good player to join us who gets to light house every week.

phen0m24

Picked up a scout rifle called NL Shadow 701 X. Awesome rate of fire and it has firefly. Love using it but pretty sure I would end up getting carpal tunnel pulling the trigger all the time that fast.

EDIT:
Just got booted. Patch time?
Definity reroll it - mine rolled with full auto. Holy out of ammo Batman

Namikaze1

Just soloed the first boss of 32. In the amount of time I put in that, I could be in round 5 with a team.

Time for round 2 unless someone wants to jump in and help.

Zocano

Dredg promise gameplay:

It was the first one I decided to get and it's, uh, fun but could be a lot better. Primarily the ricochet rounds are useless and would prefer them to actual home-in hard on enemies. As of now the ricochet rounds are pretty much not worth considering.

I feel horrible that I have Witcher 3 Collectors sitting unopened and all I play is Destiny. Bungie please let me play other games :(

If Comet is truly as good as we expect, I will be very worried.

You should feel horrible, The Witcher 3 is the GOAT. :p

But seriously, the game is so, so, so excellent it deserves your undivided attention. And if your Destiny itch does not let you give it what it deserves, just scratch that itch until it does.

I'm dividing my time between both. Since this week we have IB besides the rest I do not feel I can give Witcher 3 the attention it deserves, so I'm taking a small break from it. It will be there, waiting to wrap me up in its all encompassing sweet embrace once more once I'm free from the evil clutches of endless grind for EL.

Ryck

Found Verdict or Judgement VI for accension?

Judgment is void has shot package/speed reload and speed runner or whatever that perk is called.

GhaleonEB

Ok so where are the Ether Chests gonna pop up in the Mothyards. Couldn't find one.
The one I just did was on the bank at the bottom of the road up to the Skywatch entrance. It was out in the open and the four of us there spotted it from far away. I imagine if there are any spawns inside the planes, they will be harder to spot.

Zocano

It does not work - it killed COD AW community - skill based match making with me as KD of 2 all games I got where people > 500 miles away... clan of 20 and we all left. COD lost many players.

You talked the same stuff yesterday/few days ago and I still can't take it seriously. You have a real damn grudge against CoD because of it.

I'm not saying don't consider connection but, like I said before, skill is priority. It should always be priority.

If it were possible to match you against people of your exact skill level, chances of you winning would tend towards a coin flip: 50%. Let's ignore the fact that balancing tree-member teams with enormous skill disparities between them (what do you do when a bad player, an average player and a carrying Zoba walk in? Idle in matchmaking until you find similar composition???) It's a conceptually difficult arrangement.

I like pretty much everything you said here, but wanted to address this specific part.

If you have a team of 3, or a team of 6 in a game of Control or Clash. The current matchmaking system bases it's decisions off the player with the highest skill level.

If I'm an 85/100 skill player, and my wife is a 70/100 skill player. If we play together, she's going to find herself against people on my level more than her own. On average, when we play together she finds herself in 4th or 5th place on the end game leaderboard. However when she plays by herself, She's regularly in 1st or 2nd.

E92 M3

I never got games with UK players at peak time on Ps4 ...and UK has massive install base.

That's why I play destiny - I just want games where I play and people are not lagging all over the map.

Skill based match making ONLY works if you have LOCAL DEDICATED SERVERS.

Otherwise every game should be based on PING to the host, as primary, secondary and tertiary.

Otherwise at 30 FPS the game is CRAP for many players, the only ones that benefit are the people with the average KD.

And then the reverse boosting starts, get killed all week and then wreck in trials. That what happens in COD...

And what KD do you use to match with a party ? Will the KD 0.5 players want to play with a 3 KD player anymore....?

EXACTLY! The sample size required for proper skilled based MM needs to be huge to work nowadays. Halo 2 did it perfectly because it was unique on the market. Currently, consoles are saturated with shooters and the population drops within months. LoL and Dota are one of the few games that can truly implement a skill-based ranking system without detriment to the player.

Console games are better off with just connection based matchmaking. I want quick games that happen often. Fortunately Destiny is able to retain it's population, but that's not something that can be taken for granted and Bungie knows it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
REMINDER.

Sometime in the NEXT HOUR (the hour starting in 6 minutes) patch 1.2.0.2 will be pushed and will interrupt your gaming.

Per Bungie's Twitter

Damn, so it really is 1.2.0.2. A real patch! What could be inside!

I'm so exhausted... I feel a nap is in my future. But I am going to enjoy all the IB GAF stress relief this week.

Oh cool, Variks has the helm. So I can hit 34 on my Warlock with Voidfang, Praxic or Starfire Protocol...

noomi

Looks pretty bad

It's the last weapon I chose from the elder cipher to get, could be fun, but not very useful it seems.

I've heard of some people having success in crucible however.

I'm so exhausted... I feel a nap is in my future. But I am going to enjoy all the IB GAF stress relief this week.

Oh cool, Variks has the helm. So I can hit 34 on my Warlock with Voidfang, Praxic or Starfire Protocol...

Another strength stat though from Variks. This makes me sad. I have the whole armor set but I can't wear it due to poo stats.

MrS

Banned
I like Trials matchmaking as it is now. Every team goes in with an equal chance of winning and it's on you if you lose.

A change to Trials I think would be interesting: If you get to 9-0 on a character, you can't enter Trials again on that character.

Zocano

It's the last weapon I chose from the elder cipher to get, could be fun, but not very useful it seems.

I've heard of some people having success in crucible however.

Another strength stat though from Variks. This makes me sad. I have the whole armor set but I can't wear it due to poo stats.

First weapon I picked (only got one cipher so far) and it's pretty neat. Still needs some adjusting (that will never happen). I plan to get Lord of Wolves next.

Also I think the stat stuff on the armor is kind of smart. Makes you want to actually try the judgment's chances instead of just waiting for the game to give them to you via Variks.

ocean

Banned

And lots, lots of strength. I know you don't usually Destiny much on Tuesdays, but will you be playing IB today? I know it's in 2 hours so it's a bit early to start a train but I'd like to hop on right away with a team instead of starting solo.

I like Trials matchmaking as it is now. Every team goes in with an equal chance of winning and it's on you if you lose.

A change to Trials I think would be interesting: If you get to 9-0 on a character, you can't enter Trials again on that character.

The problem with that is though that I've helped multiple people getting their trials rewards or go flawless, after going flawless myself first. I don't think that would work. Besides that would also probably mean that towards the end of the trials there would be a massive skill drop off, at least initially.

Jinjo

Skill based match making ONLY works if you have LOCAL DEDICATED SERVERS. COD AW is basically who is on the good side of LAG, and the lag is real in every single game as the game server searches for similar players from Greece, Poland, France, UK, Spain, Italy...and its SHIT.

Destiny did it right, its based on Connection for trials of OSIRIS.
and it should be. Games have to be local to be fair otherwise you spend you time shooting where players used to be, getting shot round corners...shudders at what COD has become. If it had local only match making I would still be playing...but COD is dead to me.

Destiny is a social game - I want to play with others I enjoy playing with, imagine if they said sorry you cant join us we are all KD 0.7 we don't want a good player to join us who gets to light house every week.

EXACTLY! The sample size required for proper skilled based MM needs to be huge to work nowadays. Halo 2 did it perfectly because it was unique on the market. Currently, consoles are saturated with shooters and the population drops within months. LoL and Dota are one of the few games that can truly implement a skill-based ranking system without detriment to the player.

Console games are better off with just connection based matchmaking. I want quick games that happen often. Fortunately Destiny is able to retain it's population, but that's not something that can be taken for granted and Bungie knows it.

Complete agree with you two. I really enjoyed playing in a pretty much lag free environment. It added to my enjoyment with trials a whole lot. In multiplayer games I always notice heavily when I was being fucking over by slight lag. There is no worse thing in online gaming.

Good luck on running out of things to do ;)

HoW late did you stay up last night?

I cannot wait to dig into Witcher....at somepoint.

Meant it as in there is alot of great side quest, exploration, gear to collect. Plus I like to take my time, Nonetheless an amazing game that presents it self different from similar open world RPGs.

E92 M3

That would suck. I play trials a lot to help people and train. No need to lock anyone out.

And what's funny about the new patch is Deej said they don't know what will be in there, but that was only last Friday? Doesn't make sense completely lol.

ocean

Banned

It would be a clearing house where going flawless would get easier and easier until the whole achievement feels empty and meaningless. No thanks. It would be really strange to lock players out of repeating content; this game only locks out loot. By Saturday all the good clans would be done. By Sunday all the above-average GAFers and Redactors. By Monday you'd have all-casual teams rocking their Auto Rifles and stuff going to Mercury. It'd defeat the whole purpose of the tournament.

It's hard and should stay hard and inaccessible to most of us because otherwise what's the point?

Haybro

How about if you make it to mercury, you now move to a separate matchmaking with other mercury visitors. This would give scrubs like me a chance! If you're getting carried though, good luck!

Will never happen, but I can dream.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Don't mind one bit on my Warlock. Actually I wish I'd managed to get the pure strength robe last night to rock with my Claws of Ahamkara/Monte Carlo build. Will skip it on my other classes though... they're already 34 anyway.

Plenty of time to perfect the stat distributions on my build over time.

Lnkn52

Don't mind one bit on my Warlock. Actually I wish I'd managed to get the pure strength robe last night to rock with my Claws of Ahamkara/Monte Carlo build. Will skip it on my other classes though... they're already 34 anyway.

Plenty of time to perfect the stat distributions on my build over time.

I'm getting the helms since I haven't ascended any of my other ones.

MrS

Banned
The problem with that is though that I've helped multiple people getting their trials rewards or go flawless, after going flawless myself first. I don't think that would work. Besides that would also probably mean that towards the end of the trials there would be a massive skill drop off, at least initially.
That's true, trains would pretty much have to stop, but on the flip side of that it would mean you're not going to have excellent players intentionally ruining the chances of lower skilled players. I was just putting the idea out there because I wanted to see what people who maybe aren't great at PVP would think of it.

E92 M3

Complete agree with you two. I really enjoyed playing in a pretty much lag free environment. It added to my enjoyment with trials a whole lot. In multiplayer games I always notice heavily when I was being fucking over by slight lag. There is no worse thing in online gaming.

Yep, it's all about having the nice connection. It's so annoying going against red bars where they either die 5 seconds late, or we die together.

Meant it as in there is alot of great side quest, exploration, gear to collect. Plus I like to take my time, Nonetheless an amazing game that presents it self different from similar open world RPGs.

I knew it would be amazing, but it seems like they really knocked it out of the park.

Anytime. Were they your first?

They weren't sadly. P&T maybe my 3rd or 4th and Hawkmoon my 5th or 6th. Still waiting for a gjallarhorn drop. Maybe from the three hard pulls I can be blessed with one.

Exotics were dropping at a high rate it seemed. I know I saw the two I got of course but someone pulled a red death and a mida during one of the times I was in as well.

Top Bottom