• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

Bladelaw

Looks like Nightfall and weekly are going to be cake this week. I'm glad Bungie changed it up and the mods aren't 100% fuck the player any more. It makes the activities much more fun to run.

Trickle doesn't seem too bad for the 32 PoE either. Assuming I can accomplish anything in the Iron Banner I should hit 34 this week!

I don't think anyone has had a problem with some very valid points of critique in the previous OT. No one is saying ToO is perfect.

It does not however justify people ragging on PvP like no tomorrow. Ofcourse the people who enjoy the mode are going to come in and say its not all bad.

People like this won't listen I'm afraid.

i'm not a PvP'er, and frankly i usually don't touch it with a 10-foot pole
and i think my past teammates would probably have preferred that it had stayed that way, lol
but i've tried it, and i've actually really come to enjoy it
despite sucking at it so badly
i wish that the "proximity" matchmaking would come to an end though, and that they would match make according to skill. i think Bungie made a huge mistake by location based matchmaking, as demonstrated by the lag-switchers/DDoS attackers. i want the loot as much as the next person, and that's made me play PvP more to get better. but i think expectations are skewed, as demonstrated by the thread content of late.
i think we, as a community, have become accustomed to having "help", whether it's on Crota, VoG, NF, or what-have-you. There are some excellent players here, to whom this game is easy. There are more of us who are just average, and are challenged by end-game activities. I think many carried that expectation of help into Trials, and were disappointed in some way when they missed their turn, didn't reach the lighthouse, didn't get the gold package, or didn't get whatever loot they may have desired. well, that should just inspire us average players to play the content which we find challenging, more often and with greater alacrity.
If one wants to reach the Lighthouse, play ToO whenever one is able and despite getting stomped, use it as intended - to learn and get better.
That's how I'm trying to take it, and despite getting stomped in ToO, I'm learning what I'm doing wrong
(most of it)
and learning what to do right
and trying to remember to do it
After all, if it's not fun, why am i here? *shrug* i'll get off my soap box now and go fart some dust
EJRobinson

Shito

How long before we hit Bungie's estimated time for the patch?
All those time zone conversions are making my European head spin a bit... ^^

E92 M3

I'm guessing this guy is an auto-rifle user...

I know, right! It would be great to just pick their brain about these decisions. There has to be rationale of some sort! I don't use ARs, but they had no reason to be nerfed - that was hilarious in a way.

I'm not doing any prison stuff until the patch is live.

Smart move, but let's see if the patch is actually substantial (hopefully).

I don't really understand why the thread title is that big a deal to some people here. I admit I've only been on GAF for a couple of years but why is this something that people feel the need to get bitter about. I didn't care for it during my OTs either.

I remember a few people getting upset when I used 'Space Jesus Returns' for Mass Effect 3. People like to get offended. :lol

Bold One

How does the Warlock Helm look like in-game? Can anyone post a pic.

I created two females and one male, so when it's family picture time, my Male Warlock looks like a Pimp.

Female does the awesome bow and dance moves but makes the horrible death sound

There are tradeoffs

And jeggings

female, clearly

Pimp you see...

Female characters look much better IMO. The majority of armor pieces look much better in their female versions than male.

I think some of the shaders actually work on exotic amor when playing as a female (ex. Don't Touch Me gauntlets). I would go female.
My fellow Guardians have spoken, Female Hunter it is then.

I already have a Male Warlock and Female Titan, both are rather different..

Thanks Gang, great community you have going here

Eh. You're missing the part where the Trials rewards are meant to be earned and getting them by the skin of your teeth should be how it is in PvP. Fighting your equals and winning consistently should be the way, not getting lucky and trouncing people that you are just far better against in a streak.

The above is an oxymoron.

You may as well ask me to land a coin on heads 9 times in a row.

nOoblet16

and i think my past teammates would probably have preferred that it had stayed that way, lol
. i wish that the "proximity" matchmaking would come to an end though, and that they would match make according to skill. i think Bungie made a huge mistake by location based matchmaking, as demonstrated by the lag-switchers/DDoS attackers. i want the loot as much as the next person, and that's made me play PvP more to get better. but i think expectations are skewed, as demonstrated by the thread content of late. i think we, as a community, have become accustomed to having "help", whether it's on Crota, VoG, NF, or what-have-you. There are some excellent players here, to whom this game is easy. There are more of us who are just average, and are challenged by end-game activities. I think many carried that expectation of help into Trials, and were disappointed in some way when they missed their turn, didn't reach the lighthouse, didn't get the gold package, or didn't get whatever loot they may have desired. well, that should just inspire us average players to play the content which we find challenging, more often and with greater alacrity. If one wants to reach the Lighthouse, play ToO whenever one is able and despite getting stomped, use it as intended - to learn and get better. That's how I'm trying to take it, and despite getting stomped in ToO, I'm learning what I'm doing wrong
most of it
and learning what to do right. After all, if it's not fun, why am i here? *shrug* i'll get off my soap box now and go fart some dust
EJRobinson

you had to type this on a mobile. It's so hard to read lol

All I need to add to this is, I love hearing Drizzay and Hawkian talk. They're so calm and explain things so well, whether it's Destiny, Bloodborne or random unrelated things.

One night we were all doing different things in Bloodborne in a party chat and Drizzay was helping us but first asking if we wanted any tips or even coop (thanks for that!). I appreciated how he didn't want to spoil anything and wanted to make sure first. It was a good time. And Hawkian just started and hearing his excitement and his thoughts on his encounters so far was awesome.

I know it's not destiny related but damnit it's positivity related!

I've got two weapon cores. Should I get that pulse rifle from Variks?

yxOcKOx.jpg

Zocano

The above is an oxymoron.

You may as well ask me to land a coin on heads 9 times in a row.

Not really. You're seeing the matches as black/white when they're not. It's 3 people fighting 3 people and the "skill matchmaking" isn't going to be perfect because nobody is equally as good as anyone else.

Trakan

So lets talk for a bit about how Skill-based Matchmaking and Trials of Osiris are conflicting ideas and cannot work together in their current states.

Trials of Osiris is a game-type that rewards the better players for having a higher win percentage than loss percentage.

To me the most important element is that it's trying to match you based off location. I'm not saying it does this perfectly, but so far it's been much better than the lag in regular crucible. Making it 3v3 was also a good idea. It would piss me off way more losing to people who are lagging that have an advantage.

. i wish that the "proximity" matchmaking would come to an end though, and that they would match make according to skill. i think Bungie made a huge mistake by location based matchmaking, as demonstrated by the lag-switchers/DDoS attackers. i want the loot as much as the next person, and that's made me play PvP more to get better. but i think expectations are skewed, as demonstrated by the thread content of late. i think we, as a community, have become accustomed to having "help", whether it's on Crota, VoG, NF, or what-have-you. There are some excellent players here, to whom this game is easy. There are more of us who are just average, and are challenged by end-game activities. I think many carried that expectation of help into Trials, and were disappointed in some way when they missed their turn, didn't reach the lighthouse, didn't get the gold package, or didn't get whatever loot they may have desired. well, that should just inspire us average players to play the content which we find challenging, more often and with greater alacrity. If one wants to reach the Lighthouse, play ToO whenever one is able and despite getting stomped, use it as intended - to learn and get better. That's how I'm trying to take it, and despite getting stomped in ToO, I'm learning what I'm doing wrong
(most of it)
and learning what to do right
and trying to remember to do it
. After all, if it's not fun, why am i here? *shrug* i'll get off my soap box now and go fart some dust
EJRobinson

Good to see you're still having fun and making progress, can't wait to see it in action maybe somewhere this week, you know IB trains and all. Honestly, I just clicked all the spoiler tags, because usually I end up in one of them
Comet will be totally your DLC for obvious prehistoric reasons ;)

Lnkn52

so I'm a bit late here. I'm watching the Goth stream and there is supposedly some Trade rumor and the etheric Light from the IB is 5k each. So does that mean we can buy as much Etheric light as we want or just once?

Killed Skolas in 2 tries :) Really easier than arc. Way, way easier!

I used Praedyth's Revenge 365 all the way.

What was your crit dmg?

hard one? loggin in with vita yo

*edit*

nvm... left vita at home :*(
I have a permanent Vita TV at the office now (need to bring in my PS3 controller for emergencies though.) Also I NEVER leave my Vita at home, you monster!
Wooo! Awesome, can;t wait to do it tonight then! My Praedyths Revenge is ready!
Got an Etheric Light for Nightfall (besides the four I have already) with the Revenge's name on it.

ocean

Banned
Thanks I will def check out the NM RL and sniper, I'm not a big fan of scout rifle and I'm hoping to get the IB shotgun soon since it seems like the best.

Yup I have all factions at rank 3+. Also in your opinion what's the best weapon from each category (sniper, scout, shotgun, etc)? Since you mentioned that raid weapons are mostly the best.
Hand Cannon: Fatebringer. No contest. Red Hand is good.

Pulse rifle: I don't use these things, sorry

Scout Rifle: Vision of Confluence is amazing, but not that much better than similar archetype guns. It was special because of full auto but that's a vendor perk now. Still, Solar is good. Another point for VoG. Otherwise some High Impact like the IB or Badger or Scholar.

Auto Rifle: after the AR nerfs they are literally not worth owning. None of them.

Sniper: tricky class to have a "best". Iron Banner one has silly-high impact and could get amazing rolls for PvE. Black Hammer is king against sponges you can stagger. LDR has some magical strange aim assist or hotbox or something, it's top tier. Then there's Subtle Nudge which I don't have but is supposed to have the highest aim assist? Praedyth's is amazing for it's crazy stability and RoF with 6 rounds. Only downside for PvP is low aim assist, for PvE low impact (still dps monster because you chain crits so quickly and consistently)

Shotgun: Matador 64 and Party Crasher +1 are great but not sold. You can buy Judgment or wait for IB to sell Felwinter's though. Those 4 reign supreme, along with maybe Found Verdict.

Fusion Rifle: I have only ever loved my Light/Beware with accelerated coils. Haven't tried any of the currently purchasable stuff. VoG's Foil might still be the highest impact one? I'd have to check.

Machine Gun: again, look for Iron Banner. Jolder's can be truly nasty with the right perks.

Rocket Launcher: CE HoC is great for PvE if you're Hornless. For PvP you need proximity detonation though so look to Iron Banner, New Monarchy or maybe Dead Orbit and re roll away.

Shito

so I'm a bit late here. I'm watching the Goth stream and there is supposedly some Trade rumor and the etheric Light from the IB is 5k each. So does that mean we can buy as much Etheric light as we want or just once?
Since they say you unlock it at rank 3 *and* 5, I'm guessing you can only one of both.

Homeboyd

Killed Skolas in 2 tries :) Really easier than arc. Way, way easier!

I used Praedyth's Revenge 365 all the way.

I'm trying to decide whether to level that up or:

LDR - Unflinching/Field Scout/Clown Cartridge

HELP

(also trying to decide between leveling up a beast void against all odds or corrective measure... so HELP there too I guess)

3x nightfall complete. That was a breeze.

I just got my first etheric light (I know, I've been playing super casually). Should I stick it in armor first or my weapons?

I personally think I should upgrade my fatebringer and at least one of my vision of confluences first since I trade those between characters, but maybe it's better to level up first? IDK. I have 3, 32s (one of each class) right now.

Not really. You're seeing the matches as black/white when they're not. It's 3 people fighting 3 people and the "skill matchmaking" isn't going to be perfect because nobody is equally as good as anyone else.

If skill-based matchmaking is doing it's job, I'm going to win 5 games out of 10 games.

Because every time I beat someone that is "equal" to me, I'll have moved up in skill. Thus the next game will have be paired against someone equal or better than me. Eventually that better part is going to kick in, and knock me back down to where I should be sitting.

Say I have a rank 80 out of 100. Bungie pairs me against another 80. I beat the 80. Now I have an 81, but in all honestly, I play at about an 80. Now I'm being paired against an 81. The 81 beats me, and I'm back to an 80, which he should because in general he is better than me.

Skill-based matchmaking isn't perfect, but that is its end goal. It can't be perfect because of too many human variables, but obviously it has a pretty good idea of who to pair against who in every other playlist.

I'm not even trying to argue that the way ToO works is the right way or the wrong way. My point is really just that skill-based matchmaking and the current ToO loot progression system are conflicting ideas.

3x nightfall complete. That was a breeze.

I just got my first etheric light (I know, I've been playing super casually). Should I stick it in armor first or my weapons?

I personally think I should upgrade my fatebringer and at least one of my vision of confluences first since I trade those between characters, but maybe it's better to level up first? IDK. I have 3, 32s (one of each class) right now.
Hitting the level cap faster will allow you to run PoE 34 (and 35) and get more guaranteed etheric lights. Use it on armor first.

Top Bottom