• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

You will need to defeat Skolas again to receive the ‘Elder Cipher’ Bounty

I thought this bounty could be received on 34 as well? Is this just bad wording on the patch notes?

EDIT: True top of page! May gjallarhorn be blessed to all who are still searching!

cW689QX.gif

GhaleonEB

So only one key a week.

Seems kinda meh.

Why? Doesn't that sound like "Hey you beat Crota but you only get a reward if you were the sword guy?"

Thumbs down on that one. One per char per week would be more sensible, just my opinion.

It would be nice, but then we don't know the extent to which the drop rates were improved. Hopefully it becomes a non-issue.

I thought this bounty could be received on 34 as well? Is this just bad wording on the patch notes?
Could be bad wording. I guess we'll find out for sure when more people run 34 PoE.

It followed right after the line about fixing the issue of it not dropping when bounty slots are full so I just think it was included so people who missed it due to the issue won't expect it to pop up retroactively.

Pilgrimzero

So I tried the beta and found it repetitive and lacking in motivation.

Well last weekend a friend who likes it (and knows I care not for it) gifted me a copy.

Is it still a repetitive shooty loot fest with barely in story?

To better explain, I like my FPS's to have some sort of story, like Halo. Not so much "Go clean out cave #37 for the 16th time".

IE I'm not much of an MMO player. Beat it and move on. Come back later to re-experience the fun/story. Doing the same thing over and over every day In hopes of "the purple item" means nothing to me.

What should I expect, I know it's had expansions etc

Zocano

Well last weekend a friend who likes it (and knows I care not for it) gifted me a copy.

To better explain, I like my FPs to have some sort of story, like Halo. Not so much "Go clean out cave #37 for the 16th time".

IE I'm not much of an MMO player. Beat it and move on. Come back later to re-experience the fun/story. Doing the same thing over and over every day In hopes of "the purple item" meansnothing to me

This isn't for you.

People will say it's not an MMO.

It's an MMO.

TP-DK

That's reasonable- I mean, it may well have been overkill and be too easy now; we don't know how the fight will play out with other modifiers, either. We'll have to see. I'm just saying they concept of a nerf to the encounter to make it more forgiving when playing as intended lines up perfectly well with my experience doing it.

I am not someone who shies away from difficult content, or even such deemed to be unfairly difficult. I was one of only a few I noticed in the entire community who didn't get particularly frustrated while we were all slamming ourselves against HM Crota in the first 10 days it was released. But the bosses of the level 34 PoE are meant to be decidedly more forgiving- especially considering the ability of the average player to get it done within the week-long window of availability- than that was... and that DID offer a checkpoint, lol.

If nothing else- I think it shows Bungie is willing to aggressively tune the PoE encounters- except for Skolas- with more confidence than they have been for the Raid bosses, which is exactly as it should be.

Yeah I agree the difficulty of some of the PoE bosses seems too high compared to the other content. When I first got to the PoE lvl 34 fights (both Qodron and the one before) it seemed like my team hit a wall, the difficulty was really amped up compared to all the other rounds, and having no checkpoint made it seem even worse.

But without having tried the Qodron fight with the nerfs, I have a feeling they nerfed it too much. But even though I sounded negative about it, it definately is a positive thing that Bungie are willing to alter the fights and listen to the community.

This patch really shows that Bungie have gotten a lot better at listening the community instead of just patching cheeses.

i didn't get a key from my first wanted bounty. although I did pick them up before the update, I wonder if dropping my last one and re-acquiring it will help?

stb

I'm kind of undecided on skill-based matchmaking, but the bolded just isn't true, Berried, I don't think. There's a lot of interest in Trials. I do think it's important to keep in mind that the event has only been going on two weeks. I do expect to see Bungie make some small adjustments to ease the borden for dedicated by low-skill players, similar to the changes we have seen and continue to see with Iron Banner.

Dave and GRIP have barely set foot in ToO. Verde is deliberately avoiding it despite offers to play just to try it out. I'm willing to throw a card or two at it every week, but it's too frustrating to camp out for a team only to lose <5 wins. I HAVE seen science and you playing more(?) than me, so I'm not trying to say none of us are playing it or even liking it.

The point I was making is that 2/3 of a group of dedicated players actively dislike it.

I do agree that they'll absolutely make some tweaks to it to make it more accessible.

I'd *love* to see that come with the inverse; a hardcore mode with similarly improved loot for the cream of the cream of the crop.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You & Rasengan down for 8:30 eastern?
yah
I am in for around then, sure. Maybe I'll put some XP into Truth...
They are not but I would argue what we have at the 34 level isn't as hard as it should be. Qodron was a great taste of the kind of difficulty or thoughtfulness in an encounter that I would want. It isn't raid boss level coordination but there is *something*. It actually felt like a MMO "instance"/dungeon boss that has light mechanics that actually make you coordinate.

From the sounds of it, Kaliks is somewhat similar but I haven't played it yet.

Urrox and Valus Tau'urg are both incredibly disappointing knowing they made something like Qodron.
But the mechanics are still there, it's even more beneficial to kill the Eye now than to try to brute force through the shields.

Based on my experiences with the bosses so far, I prefer Urrox to Qodron personally. I liked adjusting my build to counter the rage burn on the ground. I didn't much like scrapping the encounter mechanics entirely to rocket Qodron in 40 seconds, after 10+ "legit" attempts.

You have to keep in mind how far toward the extreme right of the curve you are in terms of skill. There are a LOT of people playing this game.

E92 M3

I keep saying nerf Gjallarhorn.

I keep saying it. They'll listen eventually.

No way - that will definitely be a good way to ruin a lot of fun. Fuck nerfing gjallarhorn.

Sorry if this is harsh, but the bolded comes off a bit tone-deaf.

This OT is only 15 pages in, and the major topic of discussion before the patch notes was a pretty well split debate on employing some level of skill based matchmaking.

The experience is already ruined for the people that aren't coasting to 8-9 wins.

Edit: the group of people I raid with every week (almost all GAF people) have essentially adopted the "eh, I'm not gonna bother if I can't pair up with someone better than me".

We do not have the population to sustain accurate skill-based MM. It just won't work and I don't feel like waiting for 5 minutes to get a game. We already get a ton of fun matches.

Just suffered through the daily crucible with a most horrendous team. It was torture just trying to finish but I snagged myself a Low Grade Humility sniper rifle. Nice.jpeg

Zocano

But the mechanics are still there, it's even more beneficial to kill the Eye now than to try to brute force through the shields.

Based on my experiences with the bosses so far, I prefer Urrox to Qodron personally. I liked adjusting my build to counter the rage burn on the ground. I didn't much like scrapping the encounter mechanics entirely to rocket Qodron in 40 seconds, after 10+ "legit" attempts.

You have to keep in mind how far toward the extreme right of the curve you are in terms of skill. There are a LOT of people playing this game.

That's fine. I would like to see the shield get a slight health buff so jailbreaking becomes mandatory. The problem you mention with burning Qodron isn't a boss issue. It's a weapon issue.
Nerf it.

Lastly, I honestly don't care about how difficult "average" people find certain things. The game needs difficult encounters. It's elitist but I really don't care. Not everything should be completeable by everyone.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

To better explain, I like my FPS's to have some sort of story, like Halo. Not so much "Go clean out cave #37 for the 16th time".

IE I'm not much of an MMO player. Beat it and move on. Come back later to re-experience the fun/story. Doing the same thing over and over every day In hopes of "the purple item" means nothing to me.

Unfortunately, there's absolutely no merit in playing Destiny for the story. I wish it could be otherwise, but it just isn't compelling. It's not what the game does well and will probably never be a priority.
This isn't for you.

People will say it's not an MMO.

It's an MMO.
Not even close to an MMO, hehe. Unless your definition does include Diablo and Monster Hunter in which case we're just using different definitions. It has many qualities stolen from MMORPGs, but is simply not massively multiplayer.

cakely

Had an interesting night last night. Ran both of my 32 PoEs - my fireteam have been busy all week so we ended up waiting until the last minute. Got my chestpiece at around 4 am est. Then got the derphat at 5. Tossed a spare shard into my standasides and I promptly became a level 34, zero int, zero dis, 566 strength shoulder charging bull moose

I'm not sure what I think of this. I mean, I enjoy looking ridiculous in-game, but usually just aesthetically. This is the perfect storm lol

This is exactly where I'm at.

I can only assume that on week 5 they'll start the rotation again with discipline instead of strength, but my 34 gear will have the amazing combo of looking terrible and having the worst possible stats.

"Derphat", that will stick.

Shito

Yep, this is not a game for you.
Story is pretty much non-existent / bad, and it's all about running the same content over and over again to get new loot / increase your ever-growing stack of currencies.
I love it, but from what you've described, it's pretty much the worst game for you.

stb

No way - that will definitely be a good way to ruin a lot of fun. Fuck nerfing gjallarhorn.

We do not have the population to sustain accurate skill-based MM. It just won't work and I don't feel like waiting for 5 minutes to get a game. We already get a ton of fun matches.

There would be more of a population if it were more accessible.

If there *isn't* enough of a population to sustain a hardcore mode, the mode shouldn't exist anyway.

I genuinely don't understand the logic of saying "there aren't enough people to sustain a hardcore mode unless non-hardcore people keep playing it to get trounced by the hardcore people".

This content lasting until Comet is a pipe dream. ToO, without any tweaks, will be abandoned inside 2 months. The people poo-pooing skill based matchmaking are going to have 100% of the loot and more etheric than they know what do with (if they don't already), and the plebians will have been conditioned to just avoid the mode.

Top Bottom