• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

Finished reading all of the patch notes. Pretty much all positive for me.
Keys and Space were easily the 2 biggest. Along with bug fixes of the bounties/emblems when stuff was full next. Surprisingly well done.

So what happened with the Fusion Rifles now? I don't know what the intended balance changes were ..

Yea, they should have been explicit on that. I think they widened the cone so the damage drops off earlier in range.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
man whaaaaatever. A 25% damage nerf to the damage done by the shields and a bigger damage bonus to them for killing the eye... how this turned Qodron into a bullet sponge exactly is a mystery to me.

The 34 boss(es) is/are:
  • Not supposed to be the most challenging content in the game, and intended to be completed by most players that can reach level 34 and find a group. In fact, for players of average skill it is meant to be the surest access to Etheric Light in the game.
    edit: Yes, I know Deej and captain screamypants got wrecked on camera before even making it to the boss. It may take these groups a lot of time, but should still be doable (not purely DPS-gated)
  • Only around for a week at a time, limiting the spread of advanced strategies to the average player as well as opportunities to improve by replaying the challenge at will.
  • Checkpoint-less, meaning unlike a raid boss there is no reconvening to attempt just the difficult boss with a dedicated group
Most importantly though they didn't eliminate the mechanic or make it more appealing to ignore in favor of DPS spam. They made it more appealing to do as intended for a group of average skill. I have a lot of trouble seeing the downside and in fact it strikes me as a thoughtful change. They didn't lower Qodron's health, increase player damage to the shields without the Jailbreaker buff, or reduce the number or strength of adds (the latter being by far the aspect of the encounter my group had the most trouble with).

Regardless, we don't even know how long it'll be until we see him again at 34 XD
I'm pleasantly surprised that the depth and scale of this patch coming so close to the launch of the expansion.
mm, yes, indeed. quite.

patchday

I think this is a really terrible way to approach balance.

I thought L34 Quodron was perfectly amazing when I beat him on my L34 titan. But after that it felt like he got stealthed buff. We just beat him earlier at L32 (was on my warlock) but we unloaded rockets right at the beginning

Overall the concept for PoE is pretty decent. I feel it should award RNG stuff at the end of every round and add support for checkpoints. It's a great idea and this is a good foundation. But it's not fully executed to perfection.

I miss Diablo 3 lately. You never do an activity there and leave compeltely empty handed. In PoE, if you fail you just purely assed out.

(Not trying to be super negative- NEW Patch looks good!!!)

nOoblet16

You can only get one key on your account each week....doesn't matter if it's first time on a particular character if you've already received one on another.

Just personally confirmed across all three characters.

EDIT: I meant one key from wanted bounties.

Shito

man whaaaaatever. A 25% damage nerf to the damage done by the shields and a bigger damage bonus to them for killing the eye... how this turned Qodron into a bullet sponge exactly is a mystery to me.

The 34 boss(es) is/are:
  • Not supposed to be the most challenging content in the game, and intended to be completed by most players that can reach level 34 and find a group. In fact, for players of average skill it is meant to be the surest access to Etheric Light in the game.
    edit: Yes, I know Deej and captain screamypants got wrecked on camera before even making it to the boss. It may take these groups a lot of time, but should still be doable (not purely DPS-gated)
  • Only around for a week at a time, limiting the spread of advanced strategies to the average player as well as opportunities to improve by replaying the challenge at will.
  • Checkpoint-less, meaning unlike a raid boss there is no reconvening to attempt just the difficult boss with a dedicated group
Most importantly though they didn't eliminate the mechanic or make it more appealing to ignore in favor of DPS spam. They made it more appealing to do as intended for a group of average skill. I have a lot of trouble seeing the downside and in fact it strikes me as a thoughtful change. They didn't lower Qodron's health, increase player damage to the shields without the Jailbreaker buff, or reduce the number or strength of adds (the latter being by far the aspect of the encounter my group had the most trouble with).

Regardless, we don't even know how long it'll be until we see him again at 34 XD
I'm with you on this one: seems like they added leniency to a mechanic that was a bit too strict and punishing before.
I'm really positively surprised.

Nuszka

All this goodness and IB coming out in 45 minutes. So glad i have not done a single bounty.Witcher has been waiting 2 weeks now looks like he will wait a bit longer.

patchday

You can only get one key on your account each week....doesn't matter if it's first time on a particular character if you've already received one on another.

huh, that's not like Bungie to punish us hardcore players that have multiple characters

stb

They shouldn't change anything about the MM - the population is already relatively limited and anything done to filter it more would just ruin the experience.

Sorry if this is harsh, but the bolded comes off a bit tone-deaf.

This OT is only 15 pages in, and the major topic of discussion before the patch notes was a pretty well split debate on employing some level of skill based matchmaking.

The experience is already ruined for the people that aren't coasting to 8-9 wins.

Edit: the group of people I raid with every week (almost all GAF people) have essentially adopted the "eh, I'm not gonna bother if I can't pair up with someone better than me".

I wonder if they can tell the type of "exit" a fireteam did when in PoE. I would think they can. If the exit is anything other than player-driven ("hold X to leave"), there should be a checkpoint. Not sure about player manually disconnecting their internet or turning off their ps4. Maybe they can just check for all the different network error codes, Idk.

phen0m24

Wait, what?

Explain

So no key from the bounty for each character? If I get 10 spirit bloom instead of a key....

GhaleonEB

Wow, great patch. I figured it would be a hotfix, but they touched up a lot of stuff. At least one guaranteed key each week is superb.

• The first Wanted Fallen Bounty completed each week is now guaranteed to drop a Treasure Key
  • Ammo consumables can now stack to 100
  • Ether Chests will now grant a small amount of Queen's Wrath reputation when opened
  • Increased the drop rate of Treasure Keys from Ether Chests
  • Ether Chests may only be looted once per spawn
This is a great set of changes, and I think it demonstrates that Bungie is learning. For a while, Bungie's approach to patching was to fix exploits (loot cave) but not address the reasons the community rallied to them until later (low drop rates for loot). Here they are addressing the underlying problem - a dearth of treasure keys - and then closing the exploit. And they did it just two weeks after House of Wolves released. Good stuff.

The Taken King promo packaging is utterly dismaying, but eh. At least it's confirmation of the name and theme.

That's kind of a bummer. I thought it was one key per character. Hopefully the combined increase in drop rates between the ether chests and PoE makes it less of an issue.

Gonna be drinking Red Bull soon like

9n8SSVL.gif

Why a helmet, Variks? Why not boots? Warlocks don't have access to exotic boots, you know?

Definitely going to play Iron Banner this week then :)

Zocano

The 34 boss(es) is/are:

• They are not but I would argue what we have at the 34 level isn't as hard as it should be. Qodron was a great taste of the kind of difficulty or thoughtfulness in an encounter that I would want. It isn't raid boss level coordination but there is *something*. It actually felt like a MMO "instance"/dungeon boss that has light mechanics that actually make you coordinate.

From the sounds of it, Kaliks is somewhat similar but I haven't played it yet.

Urrox and Valus Tau'urg are both incredibly disappointing knowing they made something like Qodron.

Nori Chan

Now the people who complained about not getting keys before will complain about he same shitty weapons you get from opening the big chest.

Now you will know our suffering. Also they didn't say anything about the emblem/shader/ship problem for multiple characters.

LifEndz

That's what I came here to ask. Thanks. Guess 3 guaranteed would be too much for them. Found out this morning you don't have to ascend exotics purchased post HOW, so that's something too.

Still not touching trials until another patch or two. Sounds like a lot of bullshit is still going down in there.

Now the people who complained about not getting keys before will complain about he same shitty weapons you get from opening the big chest.

Now you will know our suffering. Also they didn't say anything about the emblem/shader/ship problem for multiple characters.

People also complain about getting the same weapons in Mercury or crappy or not the right burn they wanted, etc. etc. Problems are definitely relative.
I myself would be extremely happy anytime I would get to open that glorious chest

I'd rather get a guaranteed key to reward the work done with a possible weapon I want, versus none at all. And I think most people would agree.

GhaleonEB

I'm with you on this one: seems like they added leniency to a mechanic that was a bit too strict and punishing before.

Yeah, I agree. I complained like mad after my first, and only, failed run at that boss. I'll actually run it again now. Very surprised both at the buff and at the speed with which Bungie reacted.

EDIT: I meant one key from wanted bounties.

I got 3 keys from 3 bounties on the same character.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Too much of a nerf on the Qodron fight though. A 50% increase on the damage with Jailbreaker should have been enough. With what they have done now the detainment shields wont even matter.
That's reasonable- I mean, it may well have been overkill and be too easy now; we don't know how the fight will play out with other modifiers, either. We'll have to see. I'm just saying they concept of a nerf to the encounter to make it more forgiving when playing as intended lines up perfectly well with my experience doing it.

I am not someone who shies away from difficult content, or even such deemed to be unfairly difficult. I was one of only a few I noticed in the entire community who didn't get particularly frustrated while we were all slamming ourselves against HM Crota in the first 10 days it was released. But the bosses of the level 34 PoE are meant to be decidedly more forgiving- especially considering the ability of the average player to get it done within the week-long window of availability- than that was... and that DID offer a checkpoint, lol.
If nothing else- I think it shows Bungie is willing to aggressively tune the PoE encounters- except for Skolas- with more confidence than they have been for the Raid bosses, which is exactly as it should be.

phen0m24

So only one key a week.

Seems kinda meh.

Why? Doesn't that sound like "Hey you beat Crota but you only get a reward if you were the sword guy?"

Thumbs down on that one. One per char per week would be more sensible, just my opinion.

spyder_ur

Sorry if this is harsh, but the bolded comes off a bit tone-deaf.

This OT is only 15 pages in, and the major topic of discussion before the patch notes was a pretty well split debate on employing some level of skill based matchmaking.

The experience is already ruined for the people that aren't coasting to 8-9 wins.

Edit: the group of people I raid with every week (almost all GAF people) have essentially adopted the "eh, I'm not gonna bother if I can't pair up with someone better than me".

I'm kind of undecided on skill-based matchmaking, but the bolded just isn't true, Berried, I don't think. There's a lot of interest in Trials. I do think it's important to keep in mind that the event has only been going on two weeks. I do expect to see Bungie make some small adjustments to ease the borden for dedicated by low-skill players, similar to the changes we have seen and continue to see with Iron Banner.

So only one key a week.

Seems kinda meh.

Why? Doesn't that sound like "Hey you beat Crota but you only get a reward if you were the sword guy?"

Thumbs down on that one. One per char per week would be more sensible, just my opinion.

No I think Ruthless just confirmed he got it once on each char

Edit nevermind, 3 keys from 3 bounties on the same character.

So I did a 28 PoE to see about the key drops, got a key the first time, and then it turned to this. So I'm pleased.

Wowwww. Had no idea exotics were on the loot table for big chests after your first one. No wonder it's only one per account. It's basically a free legendary engram with possible exotic bonus.

Top Bottom