• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

ocean

Banned
This is what some of you sound like:

Man, Skolas should be 34 like us. No burn either. Maybe no majors either. And fewer enemies in general out there, too many ads. Lower his HP, he's a sponge. The mine order shouldn't be random, it messes up our planning. And since it's a multi stage fight, Variks should give us a gift in the middle. I don't want artificial difficulty in my virtual boss fight. I want natural fair challenging doable rewarding interesting mechanics.

Most importantly, I don't want lazy fights. I don't have time to tell you what this means but it's an objective fact that a harder-working, disciplined Skolas would be better than lazy Skolas. You know what I mean of course.

Dunlop

Dude, I've beaten him several times, with both strategies. I know about the right side, getting the Eye to walk to the right spot, etc. It still isn't fun to me. I don't know why you're making all these assumptions just because I said I don't enjoy the boss encounter; this ain't my first rodeo.
Screw that fight,

Mechanics are not too hard but even when you nail it he moves around like crazy on the platform.

We were like 10 minutes in, eye never came and we wiped. After the second time of it a guy left and I was pretty much asked to leave because I didn't have a Gally and they were just going to cheese it with all level 34's

For a level 32 arena....

Jinjo

8ThK93h.gif

Still more effective than running Hard Light lol.

nOoblet16

Intelligent or lazy design are lazy ways to describe what you mean though. Quadron is a fight where you literally can't kill everything that's shooting you. What the game is trying to make you do is maneuver the environment so you can briefly do damage on the boss while preparing for the incoming debuff. You don't remain stationary while doing this since you're being rushed from all directions by Majors, who you can't reasonably kill in time (trickle + needing your special ammo for boss/detain shield means most majors will have to live).

Is it the most creative encounter in the world? Of course not. But if there were a little box people could hide behind and snipe at the boss from safety none of this would have happened. It's just a fight where you're always at risk and having to move, which the game doesn't have a lot of tbh.

My problems:

1) One-two hit kills and insta death mechanic instead of debuffs
2) Ad spam
3) Level disadvantage (causing the first to be more pronounced)

I do not care if it keeps me on the feet, I will run around ofcourse and finish the encounter but it won't stop me from complaining that I do not like this and that it's not a very creative way to keep people on the move. The Oracles in VoG ? That's a creative way to keep people on the move (provided ofcourse you don't cheese it from top), The entirety of VoG is so creative and the game has never hit that level of creativity for encounter design...the closest the game has ever been to that was the Bridge in CE.

I still think Atheon is the best fight in the game, and the most creative. Qodron is almost the worst, right behind Val'uus Taurec. Those 2 annoy me to no end.

phen0m24

OK so last night I was grabbed for Narmer Quest. We did the 34, which was fine.

Until the end. No, not the fight. We beat eyeball guy.

Nilla got trapped in the room and couldn't get out to get loot!!!!!! Tried to die. Tried to use the ghost to open the door. Nothing worked.

Bungie please patch that. Poor dude was awesome the whole time only to watch me and Narmer get
admittedly crappy
loot.

Second we played some IB with bytestyle who started kicking butt when we arrived, but I took a total nose dive. Thus continues my "should I/shouldn't I" internal battle with pvp in general. Poor lnkn stepped in it. Sorry man! (You see why some are desperate for a carry lol)

nOoblet16

Man, Skolas should be 34 like us. No burn either. Maybe no majors either. And fewer enemies in general out there, too many ads. Lower his HP, he's a sponge. The mine order shouldn't be random, it messes up our planning. And since it's a multi stage fight, Variks should give us a gift in the middle. I don't want artificial difficulty in my virtual boss fight. I want natural fair challenging doable rewarding interesting mechanics.

Most importantly, I don't want lazy fights. I don't have time to tell you what this means but it's an objective fact that a harder-working, disciplined Skolas would be better than lazy Skolas. You know what I mean of course.

No that's not what anyone sounds like, you are exaggerating ofcourse.

People are asking for a right balance, Skolas IS designed for a burn and you WILL have trouble with the fight if there was no burn. If the level disadvantage is to be kept then the fight could do with lesser ad count, and reduced servitor count to something like 2. If the level advantage isn't there then you can keep the servitors but still slightly reduce the ad count.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I think until House of Wolves, with Trials of Osiris and Prison of Elders, Destiny has done a poor job at introducing players to actual challenge. It has lead people into this false sense of "I am the best player ever" by making most of the end game content fairly easy or highly "cheesable". That is fine, but so many people I play with would rather cheese through a challenging encounter than challenge themselves to finish it. It's all become a going through the motions type of situation. "Just gotta get this done this week".

Confluxes are Hard in VoG. Most people look for a checkpoint beyond it. Bridge on Crota's End is Hard. Most people cheese this, despite it being one of the most fun encounters/puzzles in the game to me. Oracles are Hard. Most people cheese it by staying up top and sniping. Legitimate strategy, sure, but it takes most of the challenge out of the encounter, and because of this, people still get the loot and are lulled into this position that they have mastered the game because of it.

I think that's why you're seeing so many people complaining about difficulty with these new encounters - they've either never been challenged before by this game, or maybe they have, yet are much more comfortable getting carried, or cheesing to get the spoils.

Yes, they are hard as hell, the new bosses, getting to Mercury - all highly challenging activities, and all things this game has been sorely lacking due to the "easy mode" strategies that are able to be exploited so often. And while I agree that Burn modifiers on Skolas might be going a bit too far, the rest of the bosses have been pretty much spot on as far as challenge goes, in my opinion.

The changes to Qodron will help get more people through, and that could be good, but I don't think people should expect that type of rebalancing all the time. There are some parts of this game that you're supposed to fail on a lot. That are meant to challenge your play to it's very limits. To me, that's what I want more of in this game.

The only issue I have is with the checkpoint system on the Challenge modes of Prison of Elders. The time investment is too much to have to redo the entire thing from the get go when you inevitably have to go to bed after failing for so long. That and maybe lay of the Solar and Arc burns except on an even higher difficulty tier - maybe like a Monthly "Very Hard" Skolas rotation tier.

See, this just proves to me that you didn't really learn the fight or develop an effective strategy to beat it. If you did, you'd know that the adds actually do not swarm you at certain locations on the stage. The right side for example, the only place the adds can come at you are from the left side, as well as a max of 2-3 harpies from the front. You funnel everything through the left, and when it gets hectic, everyone ignore their tunnel vision on the boss and actually helps clear the 5 or 6 enemies that are starting to pile up on the left entrance. No Gjallarhorn required. Stop thinking that bosses should just be boss battles - and start thinking of them as boss encounters - adds are mechanics. It is very manageable, and within a few weeks I bet most people will figure out better strategies and better ways to get through it. Same thing went for Atheon, same thing went for Crota. The fact that 34 rotates into 32 the following week is even better, as it'll help with perfecting strategies on an easier mode if you find the 34 too difficult. Then when it rotates back around to 34 once you've mastered 32 version, you can try again with your new perspective.

If there were a line drawn in this discussion, I'd be on the side with you.

Lol, sometimes people just don't like certain shit, and they don't feel like validating it to people who do like it. It is what it is; nobody's wrong here.

I'm not really sure why bungie has added in the ability to reroll weapon perks but not armor perks. I've got a lot of armor with the right perks but wrong int/dsc/str or the right int/dsc/str but wrong perks. And there's no way to obtain what you're looking for since you're stuck with what the crucible or vanguard sells.

PuMa

Second we played some IB with bytestyle who started kicking butt when we arrived, but I took a total nose dive. Thus continues my "should I/shouldn't I" internal battle with pvp in general. Poor lnkn stepped in it. Sorry man! (You see why some are desperate for a carry lol)

Keep coming back to PVP as long as you are getting some enjoyment out of it. Playing with Gaffers and friends helps immensely. You'll start to get better before you know it.

tick221

Now that this thread has slowed since yesterday maybe someone can see my question - lol.

So after the patch I beat Skolas with full bounties and apparently the Cipher dropped for me since now Variks has the 3 guns available for me to pick. However, I can't pick any. He says to get the Queen's Cipher in order to move forward.

two questions:

1- has this happened to anyone else?
2- will I need to beat Skolas again to get the real bounty to appear in my slot? I'm wondering if the Queen's cipher will even drop since it's not there. I've tried 2x to get Queen's Cipher from chests and nothing yet.

My bounties are no longer full...

Same thing happened to me last night, I'm stuck and am not sure what to do

ocean

Banned
I still think Atheon is the best fight in the game, and the most creative. Qodron is almost the worst, right behind Val'uus Taurec. Those 2 annoy me to no end.
My list would go: Atheon, Templar, Skolas, Floor is Lava (so easy but so fun :p), Qodron (I like the detain/Eye mechanic), Crota. The rest of the bosses in the game are variations on shoot here or shoot there.

Pretty much this, a fair fight that requires teamwork. My biggest issue is the level disadvantages. I dont care wiping countless hours due to human mistakes since everyone make mistakes and no one is perfect. But it is annoying when you are already at a disadvantage in the beginning. Perhaps this is why I am in love with the souls/bloodborne game. Its "hard" but majority of the time, fair at the same time.
Dark Souls 2 had some shitty gank situations

Omni

Okay this elder cipher bounty is going to do my head in. I HATE waiting

I'm reading that doing PoE will speed it up maybe. Is that true?

PuMa

It's definitely much easier to rank up in IB this time around, which is great. I only played for a little bit after NF and POE stuff last night, and I'm already almost at rank 2.

phen0m24

Keep coming back to PVP as long as you are getting some enjoyment out of it. Playing with Gaffers and friends helps immensely. You'll start to get better before you know it.
See I can take this advice from you but if it came from Lunatic Puma I might be scared. ;)

Thanks P

Shito

My list would go: Atheon, Templar, Skolas, Floor is Lava (so easy but so fun :p), Qodron (I like the detain/Eye mechanic), Crota. The rest of the bosses in the game are variations on shoot here or shoot there.
I do agree with the lava floor being "easy but fun". I think people want more of this, because sometimes easy things can also prove fun; that's why I don't think it's fair from you to try and discredit people voicing their opinions with the argument that "you people just want things to be too easy!". :p

As for my list, it would probably be: Atheon, Templar, Crota (when running the sword), Qodron, Lava Floor, Crota (when not running the sword).

Still need to kill Qodron twice more tonight, do you need any? I liked the way we tackled it yesterday, so smooth :)
I also need to kill Qodron twice, and happen to also have enjoyed killing it with sploatee yesterday. :)

Pretty much this, a fair fight that requires teamwork. My biggest issue is the level disadvantages. I dont care wiping countless hours due to human mistakes since everyone make mistakes and no one is perfect. But it is annoying when you are already at a disadvantage in the beginning. Perhaps this is why I am in love with the souls/bloodborne game. Its "hard" but majority of the time, fair at the same time.
Dark Souls 2 had some shitty gank situations

My issue with the newer endgame design is also the recent pattern of forced level disadvantages. I agree with those saying it's artificial difficulty that just stinks. Just look at how much of a joke the HM Crota fight has become. He's getting sliced to bits in 1.5 swords now. Then look at Atheon, a fight that still takes far more coordination and can still wipe a team of lvl 34 guardians.

I'm not really sure why bungie has added in the ability to reroll weapon perks but not armor perks. I've got a lot of armor with the right perks but wrong int/dsc/str or the right int/dsc/str but wrong perks. And there's no way to obtain what you're looking for since you're stuck with what the crucible or vanguard sells.

This needs to happen so, so badly.

--

I need to run 32 PoE on my Titan. 34 on my Titan and Hunter. And 35 on my Warlock, Titan, and Hunter.

Anyone down to do any of those today? I'm on Xbox One: Mr Greencastle. No Gjallarhorn required.

dB Viper

Same thing happened to me last night, I'm stuck and am not sure what to do

Been looking all over and found threads on Reddit that say same issue has happened for many people. BungieHelp twitter also has acknowledged something is wrong and they are working on it.... so we wait....

Kyne

I agree. People have never actually straight up "failed" at things in Destiny for a long time. Now that it's happening they are mortified and some can't handle it.

I think it's great. The average pvper without a carry probably wouldn't get to Mercury and would be lucky if they even got five wins. I learned the first weekend of ToO that I'm straight up not good enough to carry people. I don't stand a chance at a winning streak unless I group up with people of similar skill level. I just have to accept it until I can get better.

Abylim

Help!

Zero point lotp scout, full auto and hidden hand with almost max stability. is this worth ascending? It feels kinda like the suros, and I'm loving it.

Had mild success with it so far, but wondering how much difference it would make to ascend it, and if its worth it?

TP-DK

OK so last night I was grabbed for Narmer Quest. We did the 34, which was fine.

Until the end. No, not the fight. We beat eyeball guy.

Nilla got trapped in the room and couldn't get out to get loot!!!!!! Tried to die. Tried to use the ghost to open the door. Nothing worked.

Bungie please patch that. Poor dude was awesome the whole time only to watch me and Narmer get
admittedly crappy
loot.

I've had that happen once too. You should have just waited a few minutes then he would have been transported in.

I've also, while waiting for the next round, had a player fall through the floor all the way down to the loot. Unfortunately there was no chests.

BondFancy

Which sniper would be better as is for Skolas when 365? Also, is Truth at 365 and Word of Crota at 365 a good loadout with said high impact void sniper?

gx8nUl6.jpg

bfI9KQD.jpg

spyder_ur

I'm not sure how this would work? Do you want to be able to reroll the stats and keep the build, or vice versa? Or reroll the whole thing, which doesn't really make sense because then there's nothing unique about the piece at all. Best case I could see is letting us reroll the perks, akin to weapon rerolling. I don't think it's really necessary though.

My Xbox One clan Progenitor is recruiting and open to members of GAF. All we ask is be competant. Really trying to build our numbers and get a lot of people using the app and talking to get stuff done for everyone. If you're looking for a clan and an easier way to form firearms to run raids, Prison, Nightfall, Trials, etc, shoot me a PM.

tick221

Been looking all over and found threads on Reddit that say same issue has happened for many people. BungieHelp twitter also has acknowledged something is wrong and they are working on it.... so we wait....

Well at least they know about it, I can wait, none of the weapons seem that amazeballs

Did Qodron fight "legit" for the first time yesterday. It was awesome.
Super Good Advice + Snipers is the way to do it. Really fun fight.
That said, we were all hunters 2 34s and 1 33 doing it on level 32 and it still was fucking hard.

LTWood12

Good morning DGaf. Finally beat that bastard Skolas last night, and even did all of the mechanics! Crazy, but it's actually fun when everything doesn't one shot you.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Still need to kill Qodron twice more tonight, do you need any? I liked the way we tackled it yesterday, so smooth :)

Team First Try rocking the house.

It depends on 2 things -

Number 1 if I can get the TV from my SO

Number 2 whether it's doable as a 33. I only need one Etheric light and I'll be 34 :-/

To me:

Atheon. Templar. Qodron. Urrox. Crota. Skolas.

I don't understand why you ppl like the Skolas fight. It's a very basic fight + mines.

Top Bottom