• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

Marvel

could never
I just miss using my Beta AR's :(

Or even the Laser Alpha versions lol, yes I'm really quite shocked how bad they all are now. I will always be a HC guy just as I was during Alpha/Beta... however it would be nice to mix things up.

HL while not as bad as I thought it would be, feels no where near the level of what an Exotic should be which is a shame.

PuMa

Is during IB a bad time to start working on my Thorn bounty that I just got last night? LOL the only Void primary I have is Atheons. But my swordbreaker works very well in PVP

Yeah, actually. Just play regular Crucible, and you'll probably have an easy go at it. Most of the more hardcore PVPers will be in IB.

I just miss using my Beta AR's :(

I miss the Beta Interceptors more than anything else.

The sound they used to make. The damage they used to do. It was glorious.

None of this current "thwip thwip" noise we get from the impact of a missile against a person.

Anyone else remember when Interceptors were fought over and sought out on Hard Light?

I'd love to see them returned to what they once were. Especially now that so many weapons have been rebalanced.

Have there been any terrible experiences with gaffers squadding up?
*gets tea*

I have never once had a bad experience when playing with gaffers, not once. Well except Macello, he scrubs it up aaaalll the time
JK BUDDY! Macello <3

fireteams & lfg on the other hand.... yeah plenty.

If anything, my Destiny experience is much better because of DGAF. Quite Honestly, if it wasn't for all you guys here I don't even think I would be playing Destiny anymore. This community is by far the coolest, most fun, and dedicated bunch of players I have ever had the pleasure to play with. I know when the time comes I will be friends with these guys for years after Destiny too :)

Macello is awesome yo
YOU'RE awesome!
Yup, I'll try and get something organized for everyone. Just need to know what time zones we are all in.

I figured we can start with something casual like Normal VoG, and then work our way to to the harder stuff or vice versa hehe. Oh god, every time someone wipes to take a shot, we will be hammered! We can even try our hand at crucible!

And someone will have to stream the whole thing... you know for evidence (black mail)

He is :D We just like taking shots at each other lol.
Excuse me, but WHO was it that couldn't beat Skolas last night. Oh yeah, both of us. :(

I've had a few bad experiences with Gaffers, who I won't name, but it mostly boiled down to mixing my real life friends with a few Gaffers, and the Gaffers acting elitist to them or criticizing them, but it's been the exception more than rule, much more (sorry for the run-on sentence.) Some of my friends still don't want to play with the Gaffers.

And no, I'm not talking about the time that Rubenov criticized Mad Vaz for the gear he was using in the hard Vault of Glass. My friends think that was hilarious.

Trakan

Legit is the way to go this week.

How do you fight Skolas legit? I know of the horn rush strategy, but honestly I did the same strategy this week and last with snipers. Am I not supposed to shoot him until the adds come out? Is shooting him in the 30 seconds before they do "not legit?"

Do people really consider sniping him with weapons of light cheesing?

How do you fight Skolas legit? I know of the horn rush strategy, but honestly I did the same strategy this week and last with snipers. Am I not supposed to shoot him until the adds come out? Is shooting him in the 30 seconds before they do "not legit?"

Skolas is designed to be burned down during phase 1. There is nothing wrong with that. It's the debuff and mine phases that can be done legit.

Lima

Everything you can do is legit in that fight. If you have three people with 3 365 Void Speers he is dead before the mines come up. What am I supposed to do in that case? Stop shooting or miss headshots so he doesn't die too quickly?

The only cheese I could think of is pushing him off with solar grenades which I'm pretty sure is somehow possible. Everything else is fair game.

Lnkn52

I would think Bungie would want you fighting Skolas and the Ads while you're doing the critical missions, all at the same time.

Lima

I would think Bungie would want you fighting Skolas and the Ads while you're doing the critical missions, all at the same time.

Then maybe they should get rid of the burns and voila problem solved. People now have to fight the most bullet sponge boss. What are they going to do? Either run around the arena killing ads while waiting for snyth cooldown to feed Gjallarhorn or straight up heavy ammo glitch to spam him to death with Ghorn.

phen0m24

Oh god, don't even get me started on PvP fuckups. Breaking a 1.0 ratio is like Christmas morning for me. I've tried Iron Banner ONCE and Trials NEVER because of it.
Highest of high fives

I was enjoying the brief respite of competition in crucible while all the pros were in Trials. Hoping the same is true for IB this weekend. Need more light

Oh god, don't even get me started on PvP fuckups. Breaking a 1.0 ratio is like Christmas morning for me. I've tried Iron Banner ONCE and Trials NEVER because of it.

I normally don't play PvP (or any competitive shooters) but I got on an IB train with gaf last night and it was pretty fun despite how terrible I am. I'll definitely keep giving it a try and hopefully get better over time.

Just got celestial nighthawk, thunderlord, wolves bane and warlock class item from big chest at the end of a 32. Crazy loot dropping!

noomi

Excuse me, but WHO was it that couldn't beat Skolas last night. Oh yeah, both of us. :(

Hah... yeah :/ Oh well, you win some and you lose some, right? I ended up trying with Kadey and coy for a while, but still couldn't do it, so I quit after a while.

Then Kadey downs him and gets the friggin' solar hand cannon lol.

Ah well, will probably try again at some point this week.

E92 M3

No matter what games come out, we will always come back to Destiny. We'll see what Bungie's $40 (hopefully) expansion looks like. I am expecting some amazing things.

Hoodbury

So that is basically my entire pvp career in this game lol

What? What about your 9-2, or was it 10-2 ToO match? You were like a golden pvp God!

You would just say "you die" and then that person would just combust, then another "you die, I do not" and that person would just jump off the cliff.

No matter what games come out, we will always come back to Destiny. We'll see what Bungie's $40 (hopefully) expansion looks like. I am expecting some amazing things.

This is how I know this game has lasting power. It's the fall back game. It was the exact same during Halo 3. We'd get something new and play it for 2-3 weeks, and when we were done we were right back where we started with Halo 3/Destiny.

phen0m24

What? What about your 9-2, or was it 10-2 ToO match? You were like a golden pvp God!

You would just say "you die" and then that person would just combust, then another "you die, I do not" and that person would just jump off the cliff.

Hood as you well know my friend

"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again"

:p

raindoc

Hah... yeah :/ Oh well, you win some and you lose some, right? I ended up trying with Kadey and coy for a while, but still couldn't do it, so I quit after a while.

Then Kadey downs him and gets the friggin' solar hand cannon lol.

Ah well, will probably try again at some point this week.

What's the issue with skolas this week? i thought with void burn it should be a lot easier than the previous two weeks.

YOU'RE awesome!

I've had a few bad experiences with Gaffers, who I won't name, but it mostly boiled down to mixing my real life friends with a few Gaffers, and the Gaffers acting elitist to them or criticizing them, but it's been the exception more than rule, much more (sorry for the run-on sentence.) Some of my friends still don't want to play with the Gaffers.

And no, I'm not talking about the time that Rubenov criticized Mad Vaz for the gear he was using in the hard Vault of Glass. My friends think that was hilarious.

LOL if you're talking about that Vader guy who died to the same Knight 3x doing Hard Crota and couldn't laugh at me saying "Use the radar, Vadar" then he has some anger management issues. It was a pun and good advice, and he didn't get one swiped again, so I think it worked out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was just wondering (while working!) whether we know for sure how many active Destiny players there are? I know Activision gave that joint "account" figure with Hearthstone, but I'm curious. Planet Destiny seems to get 60-70k views for fairly niche (although great) videos and I'm sure I've seen some Datto ones get 300k. It certainly feels very active at the moment, but at the same time the last Destiny thread I read on gaming side (about a PC version) made me wonder if we're in a tiny little bubble of people who actually love this game.
we'll never know exact numbers but it's pretty massive. On GAF it's the most active subcommunity the forum has ever had for an individual game.

For another metric here's its position in terms of the largest gaming subreddits:
YhG7pnI.png

That list is also slightly outdated, and current subscribers sit at 177,981- meaning it's actually surpassed Starcraft with its current 174k. Considering it current consists only of one entry in its franchise and complete inaccessibility to PC gamers it's pretty impressive.
Exactly. Never run out of ammo when you shoot the shields.
Maybe Invective will come in handy.

The fact that people are still having such dramatic issues with the 32 version of the Qodron fight reaffirms my theory that the Trickle modifier (or more accurately, any modifier that can't be leveraged by the player in any way) is the biggest factor.

Here are my random thoughts.

Destiny and the DLC's thus far were designed with underleveled mechanics in mind in the end game PvE. VoG implemented this with the abysmal 30 light armor drop rates. People got mad at the forever 29. So then IMO they put in a level 33 Crota and upped the armor drop rates. Skolas was a similar story. To get rid of the Forever29 meme Bungie made everyone underleveled. It was impossible to change the encounters substantially more than that because they were already essentially finished a long time ago and the design team is mostly now working on future releases.

Also Skolas needs a CP. it is ridiculous that Skolas doesn't have a CP system of some kind.

I am not sure how much the complaints on this board reflect the larger community feelings I don't pay enough attention off GAF to know. But if the community thinks the fights are too cheap then hopefully with TTK DLC and later on we will see better mechanics.

For Crota I hated the underleveled hard mode because of the bugs. For Skolas I don't hate the level 35... Instead I hate the punishing burns, particularly ARC burn where you get one shot too quickly. It feels cheap. I might just regularly skip arc burn Skolas. Too busy with RL.

It is now the third reset into this expansion and I don't do everything every week and I already have tons of e-light that I am saving to use when I need it and not rushing to pump it into all my weapons immediately. The e-light situation makes me want to save it until I learn what load-outs I will need for future weeks and until I get weapons with near perfect rolls etc.

Also Datto sounds like a hypocrite in his video. He put out an old video asking for Doors on strike bosses (including Omnigul arc burn) and new crazy mechanics on the Omnigul fight that would make it inaccessible to almost everyone. And now he thinks a few yellow bars on quodron are too hard? I don't get Datto.

Lastly A consequence of the new leveling system is that I don't care about the new PoE or ToO weapons as much or at all... I mean the PoE weapons lost a perk which sucks and the old weapons are already just too good as it is. And to add to that they give you a random roll and you can get troll perks like "shank burn" on your premiere end game weapons??? Really Bungie? The "hive disruptor" perk on the CE weapons was perfect and I think Bungie went too far with the perk changes on the PoE weapons. PoE weapons need a buff with a new perk. But it probably will never happen. With every step forward it feels like there are always steps back as well. The only "new" weapon I really want is a void burn scout rifle but it's not a necessity at all. Further Bungie is giving us the worst rolls on the PoE armor. But giving good rolls on the ToO armor. I don't like it.

Lastly the quality of life improvements were mostly all great. I like that the end game armor is already max light level. I like that we can re-roll weapons. I like the e-light system. I like that we can keep our old stuff viable. I like the lack of damage bubbles and power bubbles to fill in. I like the reduced exp requirements. I even like the exotic bounties. But Skolas should have a higher drop rate for elemental weapons. I've beaten him five times and gotten zero weapons.

Those are my thoughts on PvE right now.

well stated!

phen0m24

LOL if you're talking about that Vader guy who died to the same Knight 3x doing Hard Crota and couldn't laugh at me saying "Use the radar, Vadar" then he has some anger management issues. It was a pun and good advice, and he didn't get one swiped again, so I think it worked out.
I don't recognize you with a normal avatar

noomi

What's the issue with skolas this week? i thought with void burn it should be a lot easier than the previous two weeks.

There's no problem really, we were just running weak weapons and weren't doing enough DPS to get Skolas down quickly.

It is easier than last week for sure.

EL CUCO

Everything you can do is legit in that fight. If you have three people with 3 365 Void Speers he is dead before the mines come up. What am I supposed to do in that case? Stop shooting or miss headshots so he doesn't die too quickly?

The only cheese I could think of is pushing him off with solar grenades which I'm pretty sure is somehow possible. Everything else is fair game.
Agreed.

>imgur gif fail<
Shakes fist at new update

Top Bottom