• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

I don't get the backlash. Quadron was exactly what we've been asking for; mechanics. It isn't even that hard! Or even hard at all. Never had a hard time with it, totally don't understand what people are talking about. Sure it takes a long time to kill him but you shouldn't have any wipes if you play carefully.

Skolas 35 is bullshitty difficulty with burns and level handicap and mine objective and a debuff...but it's supposed to be the hardest content in the game. It'd be silly to have everyone doing it in one or two tries two weeks in.
Eh, I think the mechanics for the fight are lazy. Huge boss stands in the middle blasting shots while adds swarm you. But oh, one of these adds is special! Kill him to get a buff to break out of these shields that I borrowed from my big brother Atheon. It's annoying to me rather than engaging. I'd rather not have any adds, but make the boss more mobile and dangerous. Give him different mechanics, and put the focus on the boss rather than managing adds.

Piss poor? Yeah. Lazy? Doubt it. More like not enough time to make a better encounter. VoG had a lot more time to bake in the oven than Crota and HoW and it shows, but don't forget that Hard VoG was very challenging for a full fireteam of 29's and it wasn't until people were hitting 30 that things started getting easier. Teams are still cheesing oracles and Templar for what it's worth. At least this time around you can get gear that specifically boosts your abilities greatly in the PoE encounters. I'll conceed that the burns on a few of the encounters can be too much though and whether that gets mush better with a full set of encounter specific armor is yet to be seen. Arc burn on Skolas last week was ridiculous and the fact that there are no checkpoints makes it hard to invest time trying to conquer it again after failed attempts. Without the burn I think the fight is what it should be.

As for your Solar HC with Captain Stun, I'm sorry. At least you have a solar HC. :)

I think until House of Wolves, with Trials of Osiris and Prison of Elders, Destiny has done a poor job at introducing players to actual challenge. It has lead people into this false sense of "I am the best player ever" by making most of the end game content fairly easy or highly "cheesable". That is fine, but so many people I play with would rather cheese through a challenging encounter than challenge themselves to finish it. It's all become a going through the motions type of situation. "Just gotta get this done this week".

Confluxes are Hard in VoG. Most people look for a checkpoint beyond it. Bridge on Crota's End is Hard. Most people cheese this, despite it being one of the most fun encounters/puzzles in the game to me. Oracles are Hard. Most people cheese it by staying up top and sniping. Legitimate strategy, sure, but it takes most of the challenge out of the encounter, and because of this, people still get the loot and are lulled into this position that they have mastered the game because of it.

I think that's why you're seeing so many people complaining about difficulty with these new encounters - they've either never been challenged before by this game, or maybe they have, yet are much more comfortable getting carried, or cheesing to get the spoils.

Yes, they are hard as hell, the new bosses, getting to Mercury - all highly challenging activities, and all things this game has been sorely lacking due to the "easy mode" strategies that are able to be exploited so often. And while I agree that Burn modifiers on Skolas might be going a bit too far, the rest of the bosses have been pretty much spot on as far as challenge goes, in my opinion.

The changes to Qodron will help get more people through, and that could be good, but I don't think people should expect that type of rebalancing all the time. There are some parts of this game that you're supposed to fail on a lot. That are meant to challenge your play to it's very limits. To me, that's what I want more of in this game.

The only issue I have is with the checkpoint system on the Challenge modes of Prison of Elders. The time investment is too much to have to redo the entire thing from the get go when you inevitably have to go to bed after failing for so long. That and maybe lay of the Solar and Arc burns except on an even higher difficulty tier - maybe like a Monthly "Very Hard" Skolas rotation tier.

Eh, I think the mechanics for the fight are lazy. Huge boss stands in the middle blasting shots while adds swarm you. But oh, one of these adds is special! Kill him to get a buff to break out of these shields that I borrowed from my big brother Atheon. It's annoying to me rather than engaging. I'd rather not have any adds, but make the boss more mobile and dangerous. Give him different mechanics, and put the focus on the boss rather than managing adds.

See, this just proves to me that you didn't really learn the fight or develop an effective strategy to beat it. If you did, you'd know that the adds actually do not swarm you at certain locations on the stage. The right side for example, the only place the adds can come at you are from the left side, as well as a max of 2-3 harpies from the front. You funnel everything through the left, and when it gets hectic, everyone ignore their tunnel vision on the boss and actually helps clear the 5 or 6 enemies that are starting to pile up on the left entrance. No Gjallarhorn required. Stop thinking that bosses should just be boss battles - and start thinking of them as boss encounters - adds are mechanics. It is very manageable, and within a few weeks I bet most people will figure out better strategies and better ways to get through it. Same thing went for Atheon, same thing went for Crota. The fact that 34 rotates into 32 the following week is even better, as it'll help with perfecting strategies on an easier mode if you find the 34 too difficult. Then when it rotates back around to 34 once you've mastered 32 version, you can try again with your new perspective.

E92 M3

I have never once had a bad experience when playing with gaffers, not once. Well except Macello, he scrubs it up aaaalll the time
JK BUDDY! Macello <3

fireteams & lfg on the other hand.... yeah plenty.

If anything, my Destiny experience is much better because of DGAF. Quite Honestly, if it wasn't for all you guys here I don't even think I would be playing Destiny anymore. This community is by far the coolest, most fun, and dedicated bunch of players I have ever had the pleasure to play with. I know when the time comes I will be friends with these guys for years after Destiny too :)

That's right, if it wasn't for playing with a group, the game would hold no long lasting appeal. Destiny lives and dies by its community in my opinion.

I've gotten 5 this week. I feel like they're giving them away now.

Damn, one day....

They open a big treasure chest in the Crystal Barrow which is a room below the Prison of Elders.

You have to run the Prison of Elders on any level first, complete it and Varyks opens the access to the treasure room. In there are two little chests and a big one. The big one uses the treasure key.

I love the treasure room. Its well shiny.

cPGPKLZ.jpg

Think of that every time I'm there.

Jaeyden

PoE fallen gears are trash, all STR and the weapons are shit too.

You're not going to get there buying all of Varik's piece of shit strength gear unfortunately. You're going to have to get lucky on the Judgment's Chance. So far I've managed a Fallen Int/Dis helmet and Hive Int/Dis boots. You gotta roll the dice every chance you get and that's potentially 6 times a week (3x32,3x34,3x35) and should be a minimum of 3 times because nothing should stop you from doing all your 32' and 34's.

Trakan

Productive Iron Banner train, thanks guys.

Got Radegast's Fury that I rerolled into Hard Launch/Tripod/Javelin/G&Hs. Definitely going to give this a go this weekend in Trials.

Also got a Cryptarch package with a 177 STR Voidfang.

Congrats on the fury, that's like the perfect roll. How many motes did it take?

noomi

DGAF Drunk Run:

Time: TBA
Date: TBA

Lineup:
- VoG Normal
- PoE
- Crucible?

Rules:
- To be determined

Drunk Guardians:
1. Noomi
2. Nuszka
3. Puma
4. Sploatee
5. DeathJR
6. silvertongue (did you want to participate?)

Alts:
1. ocean

- We will stream and have people in party chat :) I think the best day would be Friday night or Saturday

ocean

Banned
DGAF Drunk Run:

Time: TBA
Date: TBA

Lineup:

- VoG Normal
- PoE
- Crucible?

Rules:

- To be determined

Drunk Guardians:

1. Noomi
2. Nuszka
3. Puma
4. Sploatee
5. DeathJR
6. silvertongue (did you want to participate?)
Make me an alt man. I'd love to drunk play with you guys

There is nothing to patch IMO. Its not like people are cheating, only using high DPS weapons to burn him down like they should be if everything is maxed out.

Obviously its probably not the way they intended for the battle to go but atleast we still have a choice (for now) lol.
Oh, I totally agree. Which is why I'm puzzled by people saying things like "We killed Skolas legit"; the WoL strat is legit, and it uses the game's mechanics the way it's supposed to be used. I made the patch comment because I know how Bungie likes to spoil all the fun at times.

Shito

Sorry for the late answer, was in my lunch break, and then in a meeting. ^^

As for your second point, people "drowning" in EL were probably the ones that tackled 34 and 35 PoE week 1 while underleveled, with the goal of getting characters to 34 to farm out even more ELs. I don't think that just because the "hardcore player needs are taken care of already" justifies giving casual players more for less work 2 weeks into expansion. Gear progression between casuals and hardcore has always been a difference of time and willingness to do stuff undergeared and this game is no exception. I guess I just find it amusing that people are complaining about not having max item level gear 2 weeks in.
I am not so much "complaining" about not having max level as finding the balance a bit too extreme between casuals and hardcores. I totally agree that people who spend more time on the game should be rewarded more, but my point is that as of now they are rewarded a bit too much. In the first week we already had people in here with all their characters at 34, and it became the majority of the regulars in here on the second week. No wonder some of them talk about being burned and feeling like this extension is already over and done with...
If it were me, I would have been more strict to how you can get etheric lights, and made it so you could only get one or two per week, per player. Make it three with ToO, say...

To be fair, your friend would have been stuck below max level before anyways since he wouldn't be able to Raid if he doesn't look for groups. Finding a PoE group is even easier since it's only 3 people.

As for being under leveled with modifiers...again, it's just "Hard Mode". The first 5 rounds of PoE 35 aren't bad at all as 34s, totally doable with few or zero wipes. Skolas was a bitch though, totally with you on that :p

Void burn is our friend !
Well, my friend's point was that before HoW he enjoyed just getting new weapons and levelling them up, raising their attack value. It's not how I play the game, for sure, and I was a bit surprised because I really do like the upgrade system they put in place this time around, but I can kind of see where he's coming from.

For the "hard mode" thing, well, I suppose I just don't agree with their vision on this. But I'm ok with that, I don't have anything against a difficulty mode I don't like being in the game. I'm just saying I would rather they find a better way to create "difficult" content than this one level below thing. :)

Sorry about the tone man. I guess I'm just tired of reading constant complaints about how Bungie needs to change this "because I can't do it, it's too hard" or Bungie needs to change that "because it doesn't fit my schedule, or play style or whatever". Don't get me wrong, I think Bungie has made a lot of mistakes in the life of this game. I also think they've made a few changes for the better over the last 6 months but making "the game" trivial and easier is not one I like nor want to see. The fact that I had all 3 of my characters to level 34 in 3 days was, honestly, a bit of a let down. The shitty parts of this game (the grind, RNG, difficult and frustrating encounters) are necessary evils. People may not like them and Bungie has obviously tried to tweak some of this but they are integral to an MMO like experience whether we like it or not. Personally, I think they went too far with this DLC in order to please the casuals.
No problem man, and I appreciate the apologies. :)
I don't think they really pleased the casuals, when they are the only ones having to follow the standard upgrade "route" designed by Bungie: play PoE 32 each week to collect light level 42 gear, and start doing the 34 on week 3 or 4. And you can see that I do agree with you that the game is too generous with etheric lights for the hardcores: we shouldn't see so many 34s in the first two weeks. I'm not asking for casuals to be given the same treatment, and I don't think I'm complaining much either (just voicing my opinion and ideas about changes that could be made ^^), but I would prefer to see the gap being reduced so that both casuals and hardcores could enjoy a regular flow of etheric lights, without it being extreme in one way or the other. All the while rewarding the most dedicated players more, but without making them max level in just two weeks.
I find it sad that the "what should I upgrade next?" choices were reduced to a few days instead of a few weeks / months for the people running all their PoE / ToO, while the ones who are following the standard "route" have yet to upgrade one item yet.

Seeing as how you guys are seeing my previous posts as "complaints", I realize I probably voiced it in the wrong way. I am doing these critics because I really like the etheric light system, but feel it's either too harsh or too lenient depending on how much time and frustration you're willing to put into the game.
That won't prevent me from loving running 32s with gaffers, and soon 34s, though. :)

Jinjo

God forbid a AAA video game actually be challenging.

"You're gonna fail."

Nothing wrong with being challenging, at one point you cross a line where it stops being fun & reasonable. He explains it rather well in the video if you actually take the time to watch it. If you've followed the guy a bit you'd remember he's all about challenging content.

I don't get the backlash. Quadron was exactly what we've been asking for; mechanics. It isn't even that hard! Or even hard at all. Never had a hard time with it, totally don't understand what people are talking about. Sure it takes a long time to kill him but you shouldn't have any wipes if you play carefully.

Skolas 35 is bullshitty difficulty with burns and level handicap and mine objective and a debuff...but it's supposed to be the hardest content in the game. It'd be silly to have everyone doing it in one or two tries two weeks in.

The mechanics in Qodron itself are fine. Datto explains extremely well what is 'wrong" or 'unfair' about the encounter. So well actually that I am surprised, normally don't agree with the guy at all.

RetroMG

If anything, my Destiny experience is much better because of DGAF. Quite Honestly, if it wasn't for all you guys here I don't even think I would be playing Destiny anymore. This community is by far the coolest, most fun, and dedicated bunch of players I have ever had the pleasure to play with. I know when the time comes I will be friends with these guys for years after Destiny too :)

I agree with this. I actually quit Destiny about a week after launch, because I'd hit 20, realized that the story was crap, and I was done. About a month later, my friend and fellow gaffer Ridlii pulled me back in, explained the post-20 mechanics, and introduced me to DGAF. And I've been at it ever since, because this community rocks.

Also: I don't drink, but I will totally be watching the Drunk raid. Hawkian's Drunken Noob VoG was hilarious.

nOoblet16

Watch datto's video where he mentions what the problem is with that fight. I have the exact same issue, too many majors, when Hobgoblins (the immune shield increases TTK drastically leaving you open to get killed if you want to kill the Hobgoblin, or making you run away without killing it) and Minotaurs (no crit spot, shield, high health rush when damaged etc) are already OP. Majors should be used sparingly and not as ads.

See, this just proves to me that you didn't really learn the fight or develop an effective strategy to beat it. If you did, you'd know that the adds actually do not swarm you at certain locations on the stage. The right side for example, the only place the adds can come at you are from the left side, as well as a max of 2-3 harpies from the front. You funnel everything through the left, and when it gets hectic, everyone ignore their tunnel vision on the boss and actually helps clear the 5 or 6 enemies that are starting to pile up on the left entrance. No Gjallarhorn required. Stop thinking that bosses should just be boss battles - and start thinking of them as boss encounters - adds are mechanics. It is very manageable, and within a few weeks I bet most people will figure out better strategies and better ways to get through it. Same thing went for Atheon, same thing went for Crota. The fact that 34 rotates into 32 the following week is even better, as it'll help with perfecting strategies on an easier mode if you find the 34 too difficult. Then when it rotates back around to 34 once you've mastered 32 version, you can try again with your new perspective.
Dude, I've beaten him several times, with both strategies. I know about the right side, getting the Eye to walk to the right spot, etc. It still isn't fun to me. I don't know why you're making all these assumptions just because I said I don't enjoy the boss encounter; this ain't my first rodeo.

dB Viper

Now that this thread has slowed since yesterday maybe someone can see my question - lol.

So after the patch I beat Skolas with full bounties and apparently the Cipher dropped for me since now Variks has the 3 guns available for me to pick. However, I can't pick any. He says to get the Queen's Cipher in order to move forward.

two questions:

1- has this happened to anyone else?
2- will I need to beat Skolas again to get the real bounty to appear in my slot? I'm wondering if the Queen's cipher will even drop since it's not there. I've tried 2x to get Queen's Cipher from chests and nothing yet.

My bounties are no longer full...

nOoblet16

You're not going to get there buying all of Varik's piece of shit strength gear unfortunately. You're going to have to get lucky on the Judgment's Chance. So far I've managed a Fallen Int/Dis helmet and Hive Int/Dis boots. You gotta roll the dice every chance you get and that's potentially 6 times a week (3x32,3x34,3x35) and should be a minimum of 3 times because nothing should stop you from doing all your 32' and 34's.

Like I said, Gear is not an issue the perks on fallen gear are more or less trivial, they aren't going to change the game much or at all. The gear I already have is more suited for my characters with proper Int/Disc/Str build. The Gear won't change anything about the ad spam in PoE.

Watch datto's video where he mentions what the problem is with that fight. I have the exact same issue, too many majors, when Hobgoblins (the immune shield increases TTK drastically leaving you open to get killed if you want to kill the Hobgoblin, or making you run away without killing it) and Minotaurs (no crit spot, shield, high health rush when damaged etc) are already OP. Majors should be used sparingly and not as ads.

People get this idea in their head that an encounter is impossible or unfair and there's no convincing them otherwise. You're even inventing things that aren't even a part of the encounter. There are NO minotaurs on Qodron fight. There are max 4 major Hobgoblins which, if you're on the right side strategy can ONLY approach from the one doorway and in no way swarm you if you use any of the multitude of cover spots. Vestian Dynasty can kill a Hobgoblin without activating its shield mechanic. If you don't have one, then you can shoot the 4 or 5 that are in the front or left to disable them one at a time, then it's free game with rockets or something to clean them up before their shield cooldown is up. Don't fight one hobgoblin at a time, and don't just blindly shoot the boss because he's the boss when it gets too hectic. Every can ignore the boss for periods of time to help deal with the adds who actually advance very, very slowly. Qodron isn't going anywhere.

Dude, I've beaten him several times, with both strategies. I know about the right side, getting the Eye to walk to the right spot, etc. It still isn't fun to me. I don't know why you're making all these assumptions just because I said I don't enjoy the boss encounter; this ain't my first rodeo.

That's fine, and I never said you didn't beat him - good job. No assumptions, just using your post as a platform to speak my mind and explain why I think there are a lot of complaints. Personally, I find the fight the best Destiny has had so far, so it's crazy coming in here and seeing all the complaints that it's no fun, or unfair or what not. Most of the people I've run through have said the fight is a lot of fun. None have had the complaints I see here constantly.

nOoblet16

Man I'm not going to argue, just go watch Datto's video to see what most people here think about PoE.
It's not like I haven't defeated them, what I am stating is that there's a fundamental flaw in the way difficulty is approached when the way to make it difficult is to increase enemy damage and decrease your health. It's lazy design and I do not understand why people are arguing for that, I would gladly take intelligent encounter design over this.

Sure thing man! Even though the fireteam might be full, we can still have people in party chat :D

Is there a limit to how many people can be in party chat?

ocean

Banned
I'll look up the video, I don't like his attitude sometimes but generally agree with his arguments. Plus his challenge Crota runs were seriously cool.

I Gjallarhorned the hell out of Quadron last week, got him in one try. A few days later I saw the video where HM05 solo'd it and said fuck, if this guy can do it solo I damn better be able to do it legit with a team.

Taking it slow and knowing when to leave an area because it's swarmed is the key to the encounter I found. It takes a while but I like how it feels different. It's a tense 20 minutes where you have to be constantly on the move shooting and looking for cover and moving away from ads and slowly chipping away at the boss. It gets a bit tedious but the whole "too difficult please nerf" attitude towards endgame content is just hard for me to understand.
Sure thing man! Even though the fireteam might be full, we can still have people in party chat :D

Is there a limit to how many people can be in party chat?
8 people I think. I'll be there, even if only to listen in and talk without being there. Make sure to stream!

Man I'm not going to argue. It's not like I haven't defeated them, what I am stating is that there's a fundamental flaw in the way difficulty is approached when the way to make it difficult is to increase enemy damage and decrease your health. It's lazy design and I do not understand why people are arguing against that.

Well, because you state your opinion like it's some universal fact. I play with a large group of people on rotation very often. Some good, some average, some terrible. No one I play with considers what you're saying is the case with these encounters. I've heard the exact opposite most of the time so far. I don't think it's lazy at all, or that it's some fundamental flaw in the way difficulty is approached. I completely disagree on all fronts, and I've explained why.

Piss poor? Yeah. Lazy? Doubt it. More like not enough time to make a better encounter. VoG had a lot more time to bake in the oven than Crota and HoW and it shows, but don't forget that Hard VoG was very challenging for a full fireteam of 29's and it wasn't until people were hitting 30 that things started getting easier. Teams are still cheesing oracles and Templar for what it's worth. At least this time around you can get gear that specifically boosts your abilities greatly in the PoE encounters. I'll conceed that the burns on a few of the encounters can be too much though and whether that gets mush better with a full set of encounter specific armor is yet to be seen. Arc burn on Skolas last week was ridiculous and the fact that there are no checkpoints makes it hard to invest time trying to conquer it again after failed attempts. Without the burn I think the fight is what it should be.

As for your Solar HC with Captain Stun, I'm sorry. At least you have a solar HC. :)
Perhaps I choice the wrong words? Hmmm well anyways my apologizes, I shouldnt have used piss poor. Either way I , personally think there is alot of flaws in the game however I do understand its hard to design any type of events with a FPS. Atleast with Atheon you can even the playing field by reaching the same level as hard mode. Of course each their own and I respect thats how you feel.

p.s dont have one just assuming it wouldnt be helpful :p

I blame U-RAWR!
You gotta play PoE level 32 and 34 on your boat uhh I mean guardian waifus then normal mode Crota and hard mode Crota and Atheon and grind IB and play ToO!! Its never ending firehawk1234

ocean

Banned
Man I'm not going to argue. It's not like I haven't defeated them, what I am stating is that there's a fundamental flaw in the way difficulty is approached when the way to make it difficult is to increase enemy damage and decrease your health. It's lazy design and I do not understand why people are arguing for that, I would gladly take intelligent encounter design over this.
Intelligent or lazy design are lazy ways to describe what you mean though. Quadron is a fight where you literally can't kill everything that's shooting you. What the game is trying to make you do is maneuver the environment so you can briefly do damage on the boss while preparing for the incoming debuff. You don't remain stationary while doing this since you're being rushed from all directions by Majors, who you can't reasonably kill in time (trickle + needing your special ammo for boss/detain shield means most majors will have to live).

Is it the most creative encounter in the world? Of course not. But if there were a little box people could hide behind and snipe at the boss from safety none of this would have happened. It's just a fight where you're always at risk and having to move, which the game doesn't have a lot of tbh.

Bradach

Does anyone know if there is a difference, from a loot point of view, between opening the big chest in lvl 28 PoE and lvl 35 PoE?

nOoblet16

Well, because you state your opinion like it's some universal fact. I play with a large group of people on rotation very often. Some good, some average, some terrible. No one I play with considers what you're saying is the case with these encounters. I've heard the exact opposite most of the time so far. I don't think it's lazy at all, or that it's some fundamental flaw in the way difficulty is approached. I completely disagree on all fronts, and I've explained why.
Yes it's a universal fact that increasing enemy health/damage and lowering yours is lazy way to make things difficult.
I cannot believe that people are actually arguing for it. You can never go back once you experience how much fun it is to play something that is intelligently designed to be hard and not artificially hard...and it is artificial just look at HM Crota if you do not think underlevelling is artificial.

PuMa

Yes it's a universal fact that increasing enemy health/damage and lowering yours is lazy encounter design.
I cannot believe that people are actually arguing for it. Maybe you need to experience how much fun it is to play something that is intelligently designed to be hard and not artificially hard...and it is artificial just look at HM Crota if you do not think underlevelling is artificial.

While I'd agree that Bungie's approach to encounter design has been lazy on several fronts, I'd be more inclined to say "popular opinion" than "universal fact". Because, well, it's not a fact at all.

Yes it's a universal fact that increasing enemy health/damage and lowering yours is lazy way to make things difficult.
I cannot believe that people are actually arguing for it. Maybe you need to experience how much fun it is to play something that is intelligently designed to be hard and not artificially hard...and it is artificial just look at HM Crota if you do not think underlevelling is artificial.

I cannot believe that people think Qodron fight is lazy coming from the rest of the boss encounters in the game. It doesn't compute. I actually had a blast running Qodron with friends and GAFers last week a dozen times. Same with this week. Same with every new boss I've fought so far except Skolas. And I've yet to try him this week, which I think will reveal his true nature in the absence of Arc or Soalr burn. I'm anticipating having a lot of fun. :)

Jaeyden

Personally, I find the fight the best Destiny has had so far, so it's crazy coming in here and seeing all the complaints that it's no fun, or unfair or what not. Most of the people I've run through have said the fight is a lot of fun. None have had the complaints I see here constantly.

This. The fight is great and really fun.

noomi

So what would be the easiest way to farm elder cipher points this week, do the level 34 and wipe on the boss?

Very fun PoE run Forrest, thanks! My buddy was a first timer for any 35 stuff but it was smooth sailing after a little Skolas learning curve.

Are you guys still playing? I can hang out in party chat just to chill and shoot the shit while I do other stuff. We finished a little while ago, so you're probably already on Skolas or done by now but if not I'll be up for a while.

nope, i had to quit, but left Kalamari with ares and gutz. gonna check in with them to see how long it took after i quit. thanks for the reply though!

Top Bottom